Sign in to follow this  
Sandra

October 04 Parents # 217

GIO

Hi

The Calorie King website is overloaded. Hahaha. Can't get on, too busy. All those New Years people have joined up. Even Ty tried to join up but got told he couldn't register for 4 days as they are too busy. So we worked out his calories anyway and they are double mine. Arrgghhhh that makes it difficult to do dinners. Tried to do Indian last night, and by the time I'd added parathas and a fried eggplant dish to up his calories, I'd gone way over mine (I wasn't gonna say no to the extra dishes! ).

Bi - Hi babe

Yeah, bet it's nice pottering around at home. Does Dylan start school? Henry's repeating kinder but Dylan is a little older than him.

Pam - Happy Birthday

I was so traumatised I'd forgotten you'd even met Ty - remember when I tried to introduce you to him at J's photoshoot.

PS - My photos are ready from the product photoshoot, Debbie is gonna upload them soon so I can see them.

joshie

Happy Birthday Pam!! Hope you're feeling better - no good being sick on your birthday!! xx

Amanda, sorry I missed you in Bright. I was so disorganised this trip - I didn't check if I had your mobile, just assumed it.....I did watch out for you everytime I was in town. We had a couple of lovely days on the river - kids have requested a tube for next trip!

Bi - lucky you having hols! I've just gone back to work and feel it! I too had a bit clean out.

Sharon - your hol sounds lovely!

Well, better get ready for work - ho hum! Cassi has been waking several times a night eversince we came back from Melbourne - don't know what to do - feel like I have a baby all over again!!

Pam*B

How could I forget? I will never forget Ty's head slowly emerging from the fridge to reveal a look of utter amazement.

littleman

hi

amanda - lol at ck beign overloaded, all those new year resolutions.

sherryn- yes holiday was nice. I am thinking of heading to gold coast for a school reunion this year, in june..omg ots been 20 years..anyoen been to one, are they disspointing??

been to gym and then took girls to see tangled, was good:)

relaxing tonight, been ctachign up on dvd too, been great. Get him to the greek was so funny, well i thought so:)

we are havign an australia day bbq here next wednesday, then miss e goes back to school on 31st..lookgin forward to less fighting:)

best go, got a pork stir fry to cook:)

Mum to Thalia and Dylan

Hi All!

Amanda - yes he is starting school...I can't wait!! He so needs it I think....he's kind of lost I feel, school will be good for him.

Sharon - thats the plan (to be organised) ...not sure how long it will last though! Did the girls like Tangled?

Pam - bummer about being sick, hope you feel better for lunch with the girls.

OK can hear the oven timer going off - Mark's made a quiche for dinner.....I'm impressed that he was that adventurous, can't wait to taste it!

Ciao

xx

chelle+2

Hi Girls

Louise / Sherryn so glad you both are ok , Ive some friends up there also , one of the girls has amazing pics of helping with the clean up . Amazing is all I can say how everyone has pulled together .

Anyways just dropped in to read how you are all doing , glad everyone is well.

Happy Birthday Pam....

Bye for now xxx

lostmyid

I took the kids to see Tangled last week. They loved it...and I had a good chuckle at times. It was a little predictable, but I would have been surprised if it wasn't iykwim?

We also saw Gulliver...damn funny.

Hi Chelle!

Pam, so glad that you had a great day.

Amanda, welcome back. My mum had a recipe book from the 70's that you might like to borrow...101 ways with sausages. She also has 101 ways with mince and 101 ways with chicken. 303 recipes from my childhood and I can only remember her ever using 1 from each book.

My drama for the day...my mother met the kids and I after she finished work. We had a great time in a fabulous park. The kids were really good. Anyway I told mum about ES being really grumpy with the kids the last time we saw her. Anyway she went home and phoned ES and told her that 'the kids don't really like her'. Oh for the love of God! What the hell was she thinking? I'm now getting texts from her wanting to know why my offspring have such a bad attitude towards her. Be proud of me girls, I told her that I didn't want to get into a texting war and that she should get over it. The reply...WHATEVER!

I'm over it...somehow I think that it wont be the last that I hear of it.

Anyway, night all. Nikki

Pam*B

Geez Nik, does your mum love causing trouble between you and your sister? What did she think would happen when she ran home and repeated what you said? Has she ever heard of being discreet? Does it annoy you that you can't safely offload to your mum without her gossiping about it? That would really, really p*ss me off, more than your sister not being the greatest sister/aunt.

Thanks Chelle, how's the boys doing? When do you go back to work?

Nik that's funny re the sausages and mince. I remember in the 70's and 80's all my mother knew how to cook was meat and 3 veg, or bland casseroles. And it wasn't any fancy meat either - you had a choice of chops or sausages. Really, really overcooked chops and sausages, and overboiled vegies. I don't think she ever cooked mince because the resulting recipes would have been too fancy. The main thing I remember is every Tuesday when Dad went to cricket training, mum made my brother and I chicken wings and corn on the cob, which we loved. Apparently Dad didn't like chicken wings or corn on the cob, so it was practical too :lol: She's a much better and more inventive cook these days. Oh I remember once I was about 4 (and mum confirms this event) so 1974, she put my dinner in front of me, I took one bite and recognised a never-had-before flavour that was not to my liking and I put my knife and fork down and declared "I don't like this. It's rabbit". Which it was. Which I'd never had before in my life, she'd never cooked before in her life, and never did again lol. I don't think she liked it either. I still remember the day and remember the taste, yuk. So maybe I scarred her from experimenting for another 20 years lol.

Edited by Pam*B

LouiseT

LOL at the 70's recipes. My Mum did a LOT of mince, too - she always started with frozen meat, which she would boil until it was cooked. Once you added tomato paste, etc it was fine for spag bol. I never knew there was another way to cook it until I was a student living in a flat and my flatmate was completely horrified at my cooking method. Thanks Mum.

Then again, the woman had 5, then in the 80's, six kids, no money and no time to think about what we'd be having for dinner a day in advance to defrost anything I suppose.

We'd have spag Bol, shepherd's pie (with beef mince, not lamb), lasagna (80's) savoury mince on toast. Chops, sausages and roast chook.

I remember Mum often made desert too - apple crumble, rice pudding, stuffed baked apples, junket, and jelly - but her jelly was always either frozen or runny.

Wonder what my kids will remember?

lostmyid

My mum was adopted into an Italian family, so maybe she was exposed to a few different things there? I remember lasagne, cannoloni, and lots of things being 'stuffed'. I have my mum and grandmothers recipe books from back then. I thought that I'd share this 'gem' with you...now, hold on to your breakfast, this could get bumpy.

From Snacks and Starters, Nancy Rutherford1973

Marinated Fish Fingers!

12 frozen fish fingers

8o. tomato sauce

1 onion, diced

2 table spoons peas, cooked

2 carrots, cooked and diced

1 clove garlic, crushed

oil for frying

water

Fry fish fingers in oil on both sides

Place in a shallow dish

Fry onion and garlic...mix in tomato paste and water. Cook for 5 minutes

Pour tomato mix over fish fingers.

Sprinkle with peas and carrot.

THIS DISH CAN BE "ENJOYED" HOT OR COLD.

Note to self...we have no fish fingers. I wonder why?

Edited by lostmyid

Pam*B

:sick: Oh Nik, you poor thing.

Louise :o at boiling frozen mince meat!

I was thinking before there were 7 days in a week, surely my mum had more in her repertoire than chops, sausages, curried sausages, fried chicken and the trad roast dinner. But wracking my brain I can't remember anything else she cooked lol. I'm sure she did, that's just what stands out as the staples.

You know, funny thing was (I just remembered this) my parents hosted big multi course dinner parties for their friends regularly, and she went all out. She'd make really complicated, fancy dishes. So she did have it in her, she just didn't do it for us :lol:

lostmyid

And in return we agonise over creating interesting and varied meals with taste, texture and colour. Will our kids remember them or will they just remember past on Thursdays? For me, the BIG effort night is Tuesday when Andrew's folks rock up. We joke about Master chef on Tuesdays...CWA every other night!

GIO

Hahahaha - Sounds like we all had the same mothers! Eeek wasn't it horrendous food.

We usually had overcooked lamb chops (black and crunch and really dry) and rock hard potatoes. Even to this day I find it hard to eat all my potato on my plate, it must have been ingrained into me - that you eat the soft bits and just leave the rest of it.

Boiling mince - Ewww disgusting. I was saying only last night actually, how I remember one time we went away with Ty's friend and his dietician girlfriend. She decided to make spag bol one night. So she browned the meat then WASHED it. She literally put it in a sieve and rinsed it under the tap so that all the flavour went down the sink. Then she overcooked the pasta (no salt) so that it tasted like soggy bread and put low fat cheddar cheese on it - no parmesan or grana padano - and back then, low fat cheese was even worse; pure rubber flavour. Saddest meal of my life.

I did curried sausages up at Bright. The kids took one look and said they don't like it, but once they'd tasted it they thought it was OK. We don't eat sausages normally, so I'd never made it before (I thought it was pretty disgusting, but I was trying to make a kid friendly meal).

My brother used to ask for apricot chicken on his birthday. That was considered a special meal. Hahahaha - my sides.

My children actually eat really plain food. They are such a disappointment to me. The only true foodie is Bram, but he really just loves cooking and he also loves the social side of it. If he's staying up late then he'll often join Ty and I in dinner and I think, for him, it's more about having special time with his parents.

Anyway, we having mung beans tonight, I'll make a curry with them. Third night in a row we are eating Indian.

Pam, on the SBS website, Gabriel Gate has some great rabbit recipes. Yum!

Ciao

A

lostmyid

Amanda, my foody kid is Angus, though Steed likes really strong flavours...he'll add capers or olives or chilli to anything. Anyway I took Angus to the Truffle Fest last year. he came home asking for duck breast with garlic mash and truffle sauce. As if that was ever going to happen.

Pam*B

I don't think kids eating plain is any indication of how they'll eat as adults, on the whole. Eg. most of us white anglo's didn't like spicy food as kids but here's a whole generation of us tucking into curries and wasabi. We had to come from somewhere and we certainly weren't eating that grub in the 70's. I hated spicy food and fish when I was a kid and now I have a curry and sushi at least twice a week. Remember kids have something like 4 times more tastebuds than adults do, so the flavour is that much stronger to them, and is the main reason why they're so picky (control and individual personality issues/quirks aside).

GIO

Nic - I love it!

Pam - True, but I'd just like them to appreciate some of the stuff I cook now!

And thanks, I'd never heard of that.

Lydia got to have some pickles on the side last night coz she's so grown up and allowed to try some adult food. LOL. I tried to put a positive spin on it. If I'd put pickles on everyones dish you can guarantee they'd all hate it, even her.

I remember hating the smell of pizza shops when I was a child. I think I was about 14 before I ate a pizza. LOL. We had fish n chips if we had takeaway.

Pam*B

Yeah us too, only pizza or F&C's. And I remember the only restaurants we ever went to were hotel bistro's or chinese.

And thanks, I'd never heard of that.
heard of what?

Pam*B

oh the tastebuds.

yeah I get what you mean about wanting them to eat what you eat. I'm so over everyday cooking and trying to come up with ideas that everyone will like, or for when we want something really un-kid friendly, another dish that quick, easy, cheap and healthy. :huh:

GIO

Yeah, but it was suburban Chinese - with stuff like Lemon Chicken and Sweet and Sour Pork. We have "real" Chinese in Springvale and I was so disappointed when we moved ONE suburb away and the local Chinese shop has suburban menu.

Yes, tastebuds - I didn't know that.

Winnie The Pooh

Hi everyone :waves:

Just letting you know that I'm not MIA :).

Slowly getting back into the swing of things with Miss E back at day care. H is doing some vacation care and I'm back at work M, T & W.

School shoes are next on the agenda, the velcro variety this year, we're still having issues with shoelaces, oh well, he'll get there one day.

Hope you Melbourne gals aren't getting too much rain down there, this whole flood thing is so awful and so widespread on a mammoth scale :cry:.

All good here, nothing major to report.

Take care

Pam*B

Oh yeah they were all the same, and I can't stand those places now.

Dry down here at the moment V, 29 today and not humid perfect. But that's in the city and suburbs, there's flooding in regional areas.

I'm in pain...lower back pain that started yesterday and I thought was part of the flu except it exaccerbated as the day went on and ended up not being able to sleep through it. I had 3 voltarin this morning and it did nothing. 2 hours ago I had 2 more and again it's done nothing. I don't know what to do, it's killing me. Any ideas? It feels exactly like that lower back ache you get with period pain or the flu except I would describe the intensity at about an 8. ETA scratch the period pain...it's not like that. It's like gardening pain lol.

Edited by Pam*B

Mum to Thalia and Dylan

Pam - I'd recommend a chiropractor....did absolute wonders for me last year when the car boot fell on my back...I went from popping voltarens every 4 hours to nothing - was wonderful!

Had the nicest day today, dropped all three kids off at fdc, then went to the beautician for some waxing and tinting, had a look about the shops, a chat with the girls at work, came home and watched Sex and the City 2 while I had some sushi, went for an hour long walk, then went and collected the kids, AND just to really top my day off EVERYONE loved the dinner I made, which was an absolute miracle as it wasn't the same old boring stuff for a change :8

Well I'm off to watch a movie with the kidlets before they go to bed.

NIGHT!

:wub:

joshie

Hi all!

Pam - yes sounds like a trip to the physio/chiro - whichever you prefer.........did you do some gardening recently??

Wow, I feel like your mums!! :blush: My cooking is fairly suburban day to day - I just don't have the time or inlcanation to whip up gourmet meals - my kids aren't my problem - Paul is the fussy one!!! My mum was/is a fantastic cook but I associate dinner with overly strict rules at the tea table growing up which I hated so I'm not really into the whole dinnertime experience! Funny how our childhood brings out different things for us all!

Bi - lucky you, sounds like a fab day - good on you!

V - yes I'm back to the work grindstone too! This year I plan to make work fit in with "me" rather than the other way around as it was last year!

Amanda - good luck with Ty's "procedure"!

We're off to get books and haircuts today! whoo hoo that will be fun!

Have to start my budget for our holiday this year - did I tell you girls we're off to Phuket as a memorial to my gf mum who died last year - we're going to scatter her ashes - there's about 40 ppl going and it will be a very special holiday - getting excited already!

Alrighty, must go!

xx

GIO

Hi All

Pam - Try a chiro - and see if they can give you some strengthening exercises.

Sherryn - LOL at the strict dinnertime rules - we had that too. We always had to use knife & fork - and fork correct way - never scoop with the fork, not once. And at the end of the meal "May I leave the table?" Blah. I haven't started with the table manners thing on my lot yet, so they might appear a bit feral, but I just don't have the energy. I'm telling them off enough as it is, without adding dinnertime into the mix.

Bi - As Pam said - Melbourne is fine.

Well, um, not much to report. Having a big party on the weekend for Bram's 3rd and J's 1st. I can't believe it's been a year. Sad.

Ty has joined CalorieKing too. Did I tell you? He's enjoying it so far, but of course that's not his problem. He's joined Weight Watchers lots of times and enjoyed it when he first started too. It's the keeping it up for life bit that isn't so fun.

Oh, how funny, I found a recipe for apricot chicken in the Curry cooking book I borrowed from the library! Hahaha. I'm gonna try it out tomorrow night when FIL comes for dinner.

Ciao

A

Pam*B

Oh :lol: I don't cook gourmet meals for my lot either! I DO the traditional meat and veg at least half the time - it's not what was on the menu I had a problem with, it was the way everything was overcooked that I couldn't stand. I also hated how you had to finish every last morsel on your plate. There was no room for individual tastes and you weren't allowed to decide when you were full. I can still remember my brother sitting at the table at 9pm because he hadn't finished a few forkfuls. Crazy! Even now I have to warn my mother before she takes my kids for holidays not to make them eat everything on their plate. To listen to them and if they've had half their meal or more and say they're full, to consider that maybe...maybe they're fricken full! Dammit! :lol: Yes I have issues...

I do the everyone sitting down at the dinner table for dinner thing. We don't eat meals on the couch, watching tv. I'm a stickler for table manners, Dad was really anal about it so I can't help it. But then I'm more relaxed about some things too...we also used to have ask to leave the table, but I don't go that far. Is it just me, but one of my pet hates is placing your knife and fork higgly piggly on the plate when you're done. Graham does that and it seems he was never taught the unwritten law of placing them side by side. I find myself fixing his knife and fork when we're at a restaurant :blush:

Edited by Pam*B