Sandra

October 08 Parents # 66

themelster

GOLD!

Quiet day here today. Mark's working so it's just Tom and I.

meeskamouska
SILVER

cojajoch

Bronze and I haven't been in this thread for so long. I need to catch up.

For those that don't remember me, I am mum to Charlotte born Oct 5th 2008. I also have 3 boys.

Am going to do my best to keep up this time :D

bec8112

Hi all :-)

mel - enjoy your day, Dave is working today too but he will be home at 11am :-)

Cojajoch - hi, yeah I remember you and I think we are fb friends too. How is Charlotte going?

meeskamouska

Morning Girls.

Raining here again... it kills me. I've so much to do before xmas & am never going to get everything done. Outside yard stuff.

Hi Cojajoch - I'm Natalie. Were u from one of the DIG threads?? Trying to place the name. Welcome.

cojajoch

Yeah we are friends on FB Bec :D

Hi Natalie. Nah I wasn't in a DIG cause I didn't know I was having Charlotte until the day I had her :rofl:

Charlotte is good, she has cysts in her brain so we struggle with seizures and stuff, but she is such a happy little miss and nothing bothers her at all. She is still so little, only just hit 10kgs and the same size as most 1yr olds. She will get there though, just have to water her more often :D

bec8112

Cojajoch - oh wow I did not know that about charlotte, was she born with the cysts or did they develop? 10 kgs is so tiny, Hannah my baby is 5 months and about 8.5kgs already, she is a bundle of chub!!!

themelster

Wow Cojajoach - did you seriously not know you were having her until the day you had her???

I'm Mel and my DS is Tom. Born on the 22.10.08 and he's 13kg. He's a short a*se :D

Hey Bec (or anyone else that is interested), I am starting to sell off my nappy stash so if anyone wants any, just put your hands up.

bec8112

Mel - what unisex nappies do you have? I have so many nappies but if you have anything really nice I might be interested :D

meeskamouska

Mel - if I even ask say "NO".

Cojajoch - You'll have to share that story with us. U have me intriged.

I think the rain has gotten into P's head. He's sending me......

Finished my veg garden in between rain breaks this morning. Finished the last of the 3 beds & gravelled all the paths. Gee it looks good. I kinda feel proud of my efforts.

themelster

I'll have a look and let you know Bec.

Nat - you should be proud of yourself! I think I'll start mine in time for next spring. T will be old enough to benefit from it then. And help me out.

cojajoch

Ok the story LOL - its a bit lengthy, sorry.

I had no idea at all I was pregnant. She was pregnancy number 4, I had already had 3 boys, all horrendous pregnancies requiring hospilisation due to the all day, every day sickness. I was on the pill injection, which I had been on before, and it stops my AF, so I never thought anything of the fact that I wasn't getting an AF.

I felt bloated a couple of times, but just assumed it would have been the normal time I would get my AF and thought nothing of it. Life was normal, and the day before I had her I was training dogs etc.

On the 4th Oct at about lunch time I started getting pains in my stomach that would come and go, I thought I had indigestion or wind. It wasn't unbearable, just annoying. Then at about 11pm they got quite a bit worse and I felt like I needed to walk around when I was having them. Sidenote: I had never gone into labour naturally before, always been induced, so didn't really know the feeling of contractions building up.

I woke DH up at about 11.30pm and said something wasn't right and that the pain was getting unbearable now. So we bundled 3 kids in the car, took them to the inlaws and went to the local hosp. Got seen pretty fast, they said maybe gall stones, but weren't sure why the pain came and went. Felt my stomach and nothing was said. Gave me morphine for the pain and took bloods.

Dr came back with blood test results and said that I had very low hcg levels and that I was having an ectopic or miscarriage. It was in the early hours of sunday morning at this stage so they decided to give me more morphine, and wait for the u/s guy to come in, and go from there. DH went to his parents place to check on the kids and get some sleep. He came back around 9 and the u/s guy got there about 10am. Was told it would be an internal u/s as it was so early in pregnancy, so a nurse was needed to be in there as u/s guy was male. So he says he is going to check my kidneys first, then says 'oh *&%$' and looks at nurse. I look over and saw the screen and said to him 'um that looks like a head' he said, 'yeah it is, you are not having a miscarriage, you are having baby' Well DH and I were in total shock and asked how far along I was. That was when he dropped the big one and said 'you are in labour, so I am guessing you are having it today'

Nurse ran out to get Dr, who couldn't believe it and kept going on about how he felt my stomach and didn't feel anything. DH and I were pretty silent and it was all a blur to me. They decided to transfer me to Monash, as I had a previous c/s and 2 other horrible births. Paramedics transferred me just in case I had the baby a long the way. They were brilliant, but it was like it wasn't happening, we discussed names and that's how Charlotte came up (so she was named by the paramedic and me), the guy in the back with me was showing me videos of his dog on his phone, and found her heart beat and wrote 'here tis' on my tummy so it was easier to find again. It was all very surreal. To be honest, all I was worried about was that I was going to miss the NRL grand final.

Monash were brilliant and I had the best midwife ever. I was given the option of a c/s or VBAC, I chose VBAC, but I wanted an epidural. Well epidural never happened because she was born about 2hrs after I got to the hosp. She came out not breathing (due to the 65mg of morphine the previous hosp gave me), she was given narcan, and came good eventually. I couldn't hold her. Dr said I was suffering shock which is why. The midwife organised some baby clothes etc for her, she was a god send. I was eventually transferred to a private room and was monitored very closely but social workers, physchs etc. Charlotte was very well looked after by the special care nurses, I can't fault them at all.

So yeah, there you have it. They think she was about 32weeks born, but we will never be 100% certain. It probably took me a good few months to start bonding with her, but we are fine now :D

Bec - not sure if she was born with the cysts, but she started having seizures at about 2mths old and that's when they found them. She has had a couple drained, but they have now decided to put a shunt in, which will happen just after Xmas.

Edited by cojajoch

~mumto2girls~

Welcome cojajoch and wow what a birth story.. I couldnt begin to imgaine what you went through or what was going through your head.. Amazing... You were ment to have a little girl.... Thats just wonderful.. Im just blown away :)

Nat - Yay on your garden... You did a great job hetting out there in this weather.... Its absolutley shocking. 4th day of summer and 4th day of rain grr

themelster

That is amazing. Just amazing! It's like something off that foxtel show "I never knew I was pregnant"!

meeskamouska

Cojajoch - Wow what a story.

Hi Amanda - I know!!!! The weather is a shocker!! If it doesn't pull up soon P won't b able to work & that means no money....we'll b needing those veges...LOL

cojajoch

Yeah it is a doozy of a story, emotionally it really screwed me up to be honest, and is partly to blame for my marriage break up, so nothing that I really would want anyone to go through. Though I am not a smoker and didn't drink whilst I was pregnant with her, I was on tablets for my bipolar that are not recommended whilst pregnant. I blame myself (whether rational or not) for the problems she now has. I wouldn't leave her with anyone, so it meant for 2yrs after her birth, DH and I didn't have any alone time. Even though I was ok with that, he wasn't. We have now split with no chance of reconciliation, so even though its a wonderful thing that Charlotte is here, it wasn't a pleasant situation for anyone involved.

I forgot to add above that the Drs told me that the placenta was at the front, she was posterior and her umbilical was that short they wouldn't let DH cut it, so this is probably why I never felt her moving around.

bec8112

Wow what an amazing birth story, I have only ever seen them on the show that Mel mentioned. It must have been and still is such an emotional time for everyone involved.

Don't have any time as got to do some chores as had no time today :-(

themelster

I'm so sorry to hear that you had such a hard time. I'm glad things are looking up for you. We're a pretty solid bunch of chicks here so I hope you feel comfortable being yourself and that you stick around so we can get to know each other.

cojajoch

Thanks Mel and Bec, yeah I will be sticking around and looking forward to getting to know you all better :D

DS wants me to come sing Glee Karaoke with him, only thing is he is a really sore loser haha. I have a cold, so that might be a slight disadvantage :D

themelster

I love karaoke. Totally sh*te at it. But love it. LOL.

Twin Mum Runner

cojajoch - Hi and welcome! I'm Georgia, and Mahalia is my October baby. What an amazing birth story. It sounds like Charlotte really wanted to be here. I'm sorry that things haven't been smooth sailing for you, but hopefully things just keep getting better from here.

I'm absolutely knackered. One of my besties is moving to Brisbane on Tuesday, so I spent all Thursday and Friday sewing her girls Christmas presents. Our group of four had our farewell/christmas dinner and drinks last night which was quite emotional (although we will see each other tomorrow and Monday too). Went to the annual craft fair today, then I was doing some christmas shopping this afternoon. Dylan has been very whingy and tantrumy today because he went to bed late last night (he doesn't cope too well with routine changes), but hopefully he'll be okay tomorrow. We've got our mother's group christmas party tomorrow morning, and then we have to take Sam to the airport tomorrow afternoon as he does his submariners suitability course next week.

Going to leave it there as I have a few things to do, and then hopefully fall into bed. Will catch up properly tomorrow and do some personals.

Alis Volat Propiis

Hi ladies...

Cojajoch - Hi from me also. My name is Sharna and Nadia is my October baby, born on the 18th. I also have Aidan who is 4 mths. Thankyou for sharing Charlottes birth story with us. I agree that it seems Charlotte really wanted to be a part of your family. Like Mel said, we are a small group but very close.

AFU - Nadia had her first trip to ED in an ambulance today... not a big emergency but a little worrying all the same. She was playing in the garden and the sand pile we had and started to get little red welts on her face, neck and chest. She was saying she was itchy and was quite distressed. I hosed her down in the shower, gave some kids zyrtec and we called the ambulance. Her breathing was ok but I was worried at how quick the hives appeared. Ambo's came quickly and said they have to advise to transport to ED for all children so Dan took her. I had to stay home till Aidan woke up and then i headed up to the hospy. 2 hours later a Doc saw us and although she still had the littles welts coming and going it certainly hadnt gotten any worse and she was her usual self. Back home and in bed she has woken once and is still itchy... poor little mite. Fingers crossed it goes away.

See you all tomorrow.

Sharna

meeskamouska

OMG Sharna - How did Nadia go in the ambulance?? I don't know how CR would of coped with that. How is she today???? Have u figured out what set it off?

Will b thinking of u today Mel.

Rain rain go away.....

Alis Volat Propiis

Nat - we arent sure. She was playing in the sand pile the boys bought to fill the garden in. I am pretty sure she has played on there before making castles etc with no problems. She may have touched a hairy caterpillar or something similar and then touched her face. Who knows! She is better this morning. I checked on her twice overnight though as I was worried. Apparently she went quite well in the ambulance. They made her sit on the stretcher and put the belt on. When she is in a new place she tends to just go quiet and take it all in.

Mel - go Mel go!

BBL

Sharna