oohlala

vitamin for anxiety?

oohlala

hi all

just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a vitamin or something i can take for anxiety. i often find i have a stinging feeling in my chest like i cant breathe and i get panicked. i worry and analyse most things that im doing, especially in regards to my son, i always feel like im not good enough and find myself asking for reassurance and worrying over stupid things.... like the top i chose for him to wear during photo at playgroup, it was a gorgeous top with an elephant on it but feel so angry at myself bcoz i should have chosen the one with the lion or even just a plain top, and i changed him 10 times before we left because i wanted it to be perfect and i feel like i ended up making the wrong choice again, it happens over and over everyday, over the smallest of things.. i know this probably sounds pety and crazy and it does to me too, really, but i cant stop with trying to make everything perfect, im just tired of worrying all the time and really want to not be so hard on myself.

if anyone has any sugestions for something that could help id be really appreciative.

thanks. ps- my son is 3 months old and i am still breastfeeding so not sure if that affects any vitamins.

Chelli

Hi there,

I feel for you, I've suffered from anxiety before and it's not a nice thing to have to deal with. What stands out for me in your post is that your DS is only 3 months old, so wondering if you flagged this with your GP or a child health nurse? The level of anxiety you are describing is quite excessive and I think it would be really worth talking to a health professional about it.

For me, I found exercise helped. It got me out of the house and exercise releases natrual endorphines. Plus, it kept me busy and gave me something to focus on. I'm glad to hear you are attending a playgroup as talking to people IRL can help, but I hope you aren't comparing yourself to other parents as it can seem like some people have it all together when in reality, they may be experiencing the same thing as you. I run a baby playgroup for first time mums and many have commented that they felt they were the only ones who weren't feeling in control or that they were doing a very good job. It's liberating to hear others are in the same boat.

If there is a natropath in your area, I would ask them to check your hormone levels (this can be done with iridology) and see what they suggest. However, I still recommend also flagging this with your GP or CHN.

Take care and try not to be too hard on yourself xx

AMPSyd

From just reading your post I would also discuss this with your GP. Anxiety is a horrid thing (been there done that).

Medicare subsidises 12 sessions with a clinical psychologist with a subsidy of $117 per session. Talking through with a professional is great. You need a GP's referral to access this plan.

But yes, also get out and exercise - it really helps with anxiety.

Jo

oohlala

thankyou so much for your replies.

i was thinking that perhaps i should book in to see my gp and just have a chat about it..

i do agree with your suggestion to exercise, in fact i just got back from a walk 20 mins b4 i wrote this post and try to go for at least one every day. i started a zumba class this week which i loved, was great to have some 'me' time. i am mostly very happy, i love my son and dont feel depressed as such and think im doing a good job, the things i pick on about myself are so pety, its just this crazy anxiety that kicks in and this voice that tells me i should be doing better, i know i could never win, no matter how much i try, there's always something that ive done wrong. I cant seem to shake the need to be perfect, its like i know in my brain that its crazy and im being rediculous but i cant help being so hard on myself, it just spirals and i panic and its not fun at all :(

i will look at the life beyond limits website and will book in with gp as well and mayb suggest the sessions to have someone to talk to.. i really just want to be free from it. thankyou for the suggestions.

Snagglepussed

Adaptan is one that springs to mind although I DO think you would benefit from talking to someone......and getting out of the house....Fresh air is a wonderful tonic!

~3boysmummy~

I too suffer from anxiety and I do take a herbal mix from my herbalist. I know if I run out and can't go see her I go to the health food shop and take st john's wort. I also took it right through my pregnancy and while I was breast feeding. However, I did do it under my herbalists instructions.

I would also visit a professional. It sounds like it is getting on top of you. :bighug:

purplekitty
I too suffer from anxiety and I do take a herbal mix from my herbalist. I know if I run out and can't go see her I go to the health food shop and take st john's wort. I also took it right through my pregnancy and while I was breast feeding. However, I did do it under my herbalists instructions.

I would also visit a professional. It sounds like it is getting on top of you. :bighug:

There are no studies done to prove Hypericum (St. John's Wort) is safe during pregnancy so it should be avoided.

OP, I also think you should seek professional help , discuss your symptoms and the treatment options available.

~3boysmummy~
There are no studies done to prove Hypericum (St. John's Wort) is safe during pregnancy so it should be avoided.

I will have to grab some of her research papers as we did discuss it. It was very interesting.

sophiasmum

Check if you can take SJW when breastfeeding. But my DH was taking it for a while due to stress & anxiety, and it helped him immensely.

Vamp Tramp

I was taking "Mood" by swiss and i found it helped. I am now back on AD;s tho cos it wasnt quite enough for me.

HTH

Chelli

I am so glad you are going to talk to your health professional melb.mum :)

Hopefully results have you feeling better soon :)

Take care xx

sillarn

Hi,

As everyone has said checking in with a GP might be a good idea. He/she could check in to the stinging sensation you mentioned. Most likely it is a reaction to stress but it's good to rule out anything more. You could also get your thyroid checked (as high thyroid, or a post-partum thyroiditis will lead to anxiety).

But in response to your question about vitamins and breastfeeding, there are definitely things that get depleted in breastfeeding mums that may lead to anxiety. Also are you managing to eat well, as it can be hard to do so while busy!

Some of the things that could easily become low for b'feeding mums are:

- Magnesium/Calcium (important minerals that your nervous system needs and your muscles need to relax). They make a huge difference for me and I supplemented the whole time I was breastfeeding.

- also B vitamins are important for mood, as well as essential fatty acids.

Also in terms of natural meds for support:

- Yes, there is St.John's wort. Research has shown only low levels of the herb's active constituents in breast milk suggesting minimal exposure to the breastfed infant. And St J's itself was never contraindicated in pregnancy when I studied herbal med a few years ago. But what PP is saying is that there is no conclusive study to prove that it is safe in pregnancy. But anyhow we are talking about b'feeding here.

- There are other calming herbs too like passionflower and valerian.

Once you've seen your GP maybe you could talk to someone to help you sort through the natural options as I believe these have a lot to offer.

Oh plus there are lots of support for anxiety at:

http://www.adavic.org.au/

http://www.arcvic.com.au/

Tips, support groups, personal stories etc

good luck x

purplekitty
And St J's itself was never contraindicated in pregnancy when I studied herbal med a few years ago. But what PP is saying is that there is no conclusive study to prove that it is safe in pregnancy.

It is not considered safe in pregnancy now.

sillarn
It is not considered safe in pregnancy now.

It's safety is not proven. And it is safest for manufacturers to say so. However if you consider St J's is the most prescribed anti-depressant in Germany, and has been prescribed in its current form for several decades. No doubt many women have, at least accidentally, taken it through their first trimester. As this is the time when the baby is forming it is considered most susceptible to malformations through exposures at this time. Some women have also chosen to take it through pregnancy. The only documented side effects in babies whose mothers have taken St J's during pregnancy is a slight risk of colic and drowsiness that did not require medical treatment. So I agree with you but also the evidence is not there to call it is unsafe as a general statement. There are plenty of medications and natural meds that are considered unsafe in pregnancy and pose a known risk.

purplekitty
So I agree with you but also the evidence is not there to call it is unsafe as a general statement.

SAFETY AND EFFICACY OF ST. JOHN’S WORT (HYPERICUM)

DURING PREGNANCY AND LACTATION

Jean-Jacques Dugoua1,2, Edward Mills3, Daniel Perri4, Gideon Koren2,4

1Department of Clinical Epidemiology, Canadian College of Naturopathic Medicine, 2Motherisk Program,

Hospital for Sick Children, 3Department of Clinical Epidemiology, McMaster University, 4Department of

Clinical Pharmacology and Toxicology, University of Toronto

Corresponding Author: jeanjacques.dugoua@utoronto.ca

________________________________________________________________________________

____My Bold.

"However, other animal studies report lower

birth weight in offspring’s when St. John’s wort is

consumed during pregnancy and that it may

increase uterine tone. There is also conflicting

evidence as to the teratogenicity of hypericin, yet

non-mutagenic activity of the whole plant.

During lactation, St. John’s wort should be

used with caution due to potential side effects of

colic, drowsiness, and lethargy."

"Caution is warranted with the use of St John’s wort during pregnancy until further high quality human

research is conducted to determine its safety"

That's a strong enough warning for me.

sillarn

I'm aware of that review purplekitty. And by all means avoid taking it in pregnancy. However there's a growing awareness of the risk of leaving depression and anxiety untreated in pregnancy and post-partum and so it becomes a relative risk situation for some.

Regular antidepressants are clearly not a risk free option either. eg. Melbourne study from this year states: Infants exposed to antidepressants in utero were eightfold more likely to be born at a premature gestational age, had significantly lower birthweight and were smaller in length and head circumference than non-exposed infants. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20397792

Plus the even scarier ones about SSRI's and increased rate of heart defects.

But to comment on that review directly: -They found no evidence that there is mutagenic activity if the whole herb is used (which is how it is used).

-The mice studies reporting lower birth weight (while some did not) is absolutely worth studying more in humans. But it should be said that even the mice were not affected in long term growth or development.

-If you notice lethargy, colic etc while b'feeding on St J's you should stop and see if this helps.

For me, more human studies would be great, but I am not scared off St J's though I would only ever think of it if I was suffering a lot.

Kitty Fantastico

B group vitamins are good in times of stress.

But for your own mental health, it may be a good idea to chat to your gp, (not necessarily for medication) but even for a referal to speak to a psychologist. A number of sessions are covered under medicare when you come up with a care plan with your gp.

Kitty Fantastico

Also, not sure if I missed the bit where you're breastfeeding? But I know SJW affects the effetiveness of the contraceptive pill, so most definately would not use it without any supervision. Be careful of "natural remedies". I think they can do more harm than good sometimes.

pink

I have been struggling with anxiety and mild depression since my baby was born 2 months ago and have been taking Natures Own Zinc, B6 and Magnesium tablets. They have really helped to pick me up a bit and have given me enough energy to start some exercise and I think these two things together have helped a lot.

it would definitely be worth talking to your GP still as your anxiety sounds quite bad and its such an awful thing to deal with :bighug: hope you find something that helps soon

http://www.naturesown.com.au/en/products/z...th-b6-magnesium

uh_I_don't_know

in addition to good advice given here, I'd also add Neroli Essential Oil into your daily routine somehow. it is "anti-panic" oil. this WILL help, but it may not be a total solution, but it will turn down the nerves a bit. I love it. use it on a tissue, in a warmer or in a oil to put on your wrists, in a bath or sniff straight from the bottle.

ETA it's safe in pregnancy and breastfeeding. i used it during both for both my kids.

Edited by uh_I_don't_know

RealityBites

It sounds like you are dealing with postnatal anxiety, which you should see your GP about asap. Good nutrition, exercise and herbal remedies can only go so far though. I went to counselling for six months, which helped enormously, but still needed medication 9 months after my baby's birth. The medication was fabulous (I am off the meds now - there is a light at the end of the tunnel!), and I really regret not taking them sooner. Good luck.

beccaj

Personally I wouldnt start herbal treatment without professional advice, due to the evidence that exists both positive and negative. As a pp mentioned its a risk vs benefits rule with most and it takes training to work this through.

Nutritionals I would take are a good Bvit supplement, Mg and get your iron levels checked with the GP. you will need to ask when you buy the supplements how much - dont just rely on the packaging. THere are also flower essences that a naturopath could recommend - they work wonderfully for me

Make sure youre getting some sunlight early or late in the day and also time away from everything (if possible).

A chat with your GP or a Naturopath would certainly be a good idea

Edited by beccaj

purplekitty
Infants exposed to antidepressants in utero were eightfold more likely to be born at a premature gestational age, had significantly lower birthweight and were smaller in length and head circumference than non-exposed infants. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20397792

That is a really low level quality of evidence study. A prospective case-control study with 27 subjects in each arm.

Risk benefit analysis always applies. This is a much better study of conventional treatment.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21034181

The dangers of conventional treatment in pregnancy have been studied much more extensively than Hypericum.

VJay

I take a B group supplement, Tyrosine and Lechithin.

Jordansmummy

I agree with everything said, also Valerian Forte (blackmores) aids relaxations and insomnia. there is also Rescue Remedy you can buy from chemists, its a flower essence drops you can add to water or drops under the tongue.

I suffer major anxiety, I have been on meds for about 19 months, I am considering coming off them soon. If its controlling your life and you dont have control of the anxiety sometimes its the only option. I was so against going on meds but at the time I needed help.

I also see a Homeopath/Naturopath for Natural Remedies.