October 08 Parents # 64

bec8112

GOLD!!!

Be back in tomorrow :-)

meeskamouska
SILVER

charlie23

Bronze......

I hope that all our Oct 08 babies err toddlers have had great birthdays!

themelster

Hey all,

I'm back to feeling half human today... What a night on Saturday night. Gosh it was fun. I paid for it Sunday though.... So much french champagne!

Mark and I are off to Spicers Tamarind, just the two of us, tomorrow for two nights. Gosh, I can't wait. The thing I am looking most forward to is sleeping in and just lying around reading a good book. Heaven. Might even take the hard drive so we can catch up on Survivor. tragic hey. hee.

Easy one today. Just got back from the pool. Had a really good swim and am about to settle in for a couple of episodes of Project Runway. Tom is in kindy. Got to love holidays! I don't want to go back to work next week!

I'm also stalking the letter box for my STAT test results. THey still haven't arrived :(

Have a great day ladies.

meeskamouska

How lovely your little trip sounds Mel. Will the IL's have Tom for you? Enjoy your week off.

I just finished making a solid shampoo. Tried it out in the shower already...LOL

Its taken me sooooo much research to understand all the ingredients & how they function...in fact it was making my head spin. Anyway, got there & I feel really good about it. I know its just shampoo but its good shampoo!! Really good!! I only made a small batch to test out & then I can tweak it as I like. No more store brought shampoo & conditioner here.....& bottle free!! How fantastic is that for the enviro??

Anyway ...just wanted to share with my cyber girls.

Enjoy your day.

themelster

Nat, that's brilliant! I am super fussy with shampoo and conditioners and am ashamed to admit that it is the only cleansing / moisturisng product I use that isn't organic / chemical free. I purchased the Sukin range last week and I hate it. I don't like how it feels in my hair or how my hair feels afterwards.

Yep, the IL's will have Tom. My MIL trialled putting him to bed on Saturday night whilst I was out (I think she felt more comfortable doing it when I wasn't there - not that I would have cared how she did it!) and it went well. I'm sure she will be fine on her own with him. Well, she'll have Mark's dad, but he isn't hands on at all! He's very "old fashioned" when it comes to parenting. It's the mothers role and all that...

I have a bit of a dilema. We had Tom in sposie's all last week as we were away up the coast and now he won't let us put a cloth nappy on him. He cracks it big time and then runs away and gets a sposie and brings it to us to put on him instead :unsure: What to do? Any suggestions? I'll keep perservering and hope that it is just a phase.

Sharna - how are you? I think it would be nice if we could both keep each other motivated with our fitness goals. Where are you up to on the C25K? My girlfriend, Suzie, and I have started a facebook message thread where whenever one of us works out, we pop on there and message what we've done and in what time. Just to spur each other on. You are welcome to join it. We are mainly doing it in prep for this mini-tri in December.

Got spag bog on the stove for tonight. Cooking it up so that Mark's mum has an easy meal for Tom whilst we are away.

Small Potatoes

Hello hello,

Had my first OB appointment today and not another until the 30th of December. I am doing shared care. hey Nat next time you make some Shampoo I want to buy some.

Mel I takes a couple of weeks for your hair to detox.

AFM all is well am still tired and cranky but we have put alfoil on Will's windows so I get to sleep in until almost 6am.

meeskamouska

Mands - alfoil....thats hilarious. Pregnancy has a way of making one a bit grumpy. Thank goodness it ends hey. Making the shampoo bar was fun. Have u used solid shampoo before? I absolutely love the stuff.

Mel - My shampoo is far from organic....LOL... but in its defense .... it has no plastic bottle packaging.... that has to count for something... :D

With the nappy thing.... maybe keep in mind... "see the parent be the parent"...rofl!! Jokes but true. What mummy says goes...right???? I've got the opposite problem here. CR loves cloth & doesn't much fancy sposies.

Quiet night... xfactor will b on soon.

bec8112

Mel - your night out sounded like fun even if you had to pay for it on Sunday! Where did you go? Enjoy your Tom free time, it will be so good for you guys :-) I am jealous.

In regards to the nappy I think you just need to keep trying the cloth, or maybe move the sposies so he cannot get to them???? We are having to put ethan's cloth and night sposie on like a 'big boy' nappy, we do it up and he steps into them like undies and we adjust when it's on. He will NOT lay down for a nappy change!!! He is in the nude or undies while at home and he is doing ok with the potty, might be a long process but glad to have started. Told daycare today so they are offering the toilet to him during the day too.

Mands - yeah on OB appointment, I did shared care until about 20weeks then went to hospital all the time. Hope you get some better sleep in's soon. Ethan and Hannah sleep until 7am most days.

Nat - I too would love to try the shampoo/cond bars when you make the next batch. Your time in the garden sounds like so much fun :-)

Sharna - how are you and the kids?

Kelly - hi, thanks for popping in :-)

AFM - we got new roller blinds/venetians today, looks great and so much more modern :-) . Next will be replacing carpet in kids room ( once Ethan is toilet trained so no more mess ), then I would love to renovate the kids bathroom.

Hannah has learnt to roll from back to front ;-) she is not going the other way yet though, she is also getting her legs underneath her body and moving forward a bit so think she might crawl earlier than Ethan did. She is such a little character!!!

We went to the beach on Sunday, Ethan had a great time and Hannah liked her hands in the sand, she ate a bit too. She is a thumb sucker and puts everything in her mouth so was bound to happen! Will put some photos on fb soon.

That's all from me, on my phone and getting a sore finger!!!

Hope you all have a great Melbourne Cup day if your doing something for it. I have a friend coming for lunch but that's it. No betting here.

Alis Volat Propiis

Bec - Hannah sounds like she will get moving quite soon. That is great! Aidan doesnt do much except lie there and wriggle his arms and legs. He hasnt rolled yet but I rarely put him down on the ground. Usually he is in the rocker or in my arms :wacko: We started TT at daycare with Nadia and so far just lots of wet knickers and shorts. At home she occassionally requests the toilet but most often will refuse if we ask her to go. I think for her it is an independence control thing... she says no just because we asked. If we are around her cousins she goes to the toilet every time they do. I am not pushing it though but do think I need to do more nappy free/undie time at home.

Mel - your T free weekend sounds great. Have a nice time. I started week 2 of the C25K this week. I struggled a bit the first run as I was still fluey and quite short of breath. Today was easier. I am easily 10kgs heavier than the last time I attempted this program and i can really feel the difference. I am not sure I am going to be able to progress through the weeks as quickly as my sister will. She is alot lighter than me. My aim is the GC Tri in May so I have enough time. At the moment I only have time to swim on wednesdays before the kids have their swimming lessons. I am thinking of joining the gym as the creche is free for members. Its good that you have your friend to motivate you with. I am lucky I have my sister also. Where do you post your messages on FB? I use the Organics range of shampoo/cond and bodywash for us and am really happy with the quality and result on my hair. You can get it at woolies/coles and it is reasonable. I love the Sukin facewash and pure rosehip oil!

Nat - so a solid shampoo is like a cake of soap? I started on the peppermint eucalyptus bar today... yummy! I asked before about Josh... is he healing well? How is CR after the treatments? We really need to get in and plant out the garden beds here also. Kristi and I are getting chickens for christmas which is exciting... we had chooks growing up and i love free range eggs.

Mands - great that the scan went well. Are you going to find out if the little one is pink or blue?

Any ideas for our girls night out?

Off to bed for me

Sharna

bec8112

Sharna - yeah we get alot of wet undies here aswell, I have about 15 pairs already! I wash alot of them but then only have to wash 1 or 2 nappies a day for him so thats ok. Ethan is the same, he says 'no' to everything as he is still not really saying 'yes' :wacko:

We have our first speech playgroup on Thurs so looking forward to that, I am hoping to get someone to look after Hannah while I go so I can concentrate on Ethan and not have to worry about her.

Hannah gets a fair bit of time on the floor and Ethan plays in the same room as we are laying, he likes to show her toys and bring all his toys out and steal hers :blink: . I have always been a bit of a control freak and making sure Ethan and Hannah got alot of tummy time because I have a friend who never gave tummy time and her baby had a major flat spot. Plus I am hoping Hannah grows some hair on her bald spot soon :tongue:

Night out???? I have no ideas as I never really go out anywhere. I know of some good restaurants but they are all in Noosa. When were we thinking of doing it? Maybe we should choose a night/weekend and make sure we are all free and make no other commitments. So who would be coming - Sharna, Nat, Mel, Mands and myself? Is that everyone?

Off to bed now, night night.

Small Potatoes

Bec and Sharna Olly has on occassion asked to use the toilet so I put him on the potty and he does nothing and then asks for his nappy back on.

Bec Pity you aren't down here as I would watch Hannah :). The boys used to sleep until 7am when we had the block out blinds but we have the verticals that do almost nothing to block the light.

Night out Anything before the 22nd of November would be awesome as DH is home, but I know that is short notice. I can't do Friday the 11th of December or Saturday the 27th of November. There are some great restaurants in Paddington, Mel do you know the name of the tapas place on the corner of La Trobe and the street that goes to Marist Rosalie.

Sharna I was certain I was going to find out but now I am not so sure. Only because I will be booked in for a c/s and we would have chosen the name, so there wouldn't be any surprises left. That being said I don't know if I can wait :lol:

Nat Yay on you making stuff. I haven't had time ATM and won't make anything until what I have has run out. Just doing for family and friends. I made organic soap, moisturiser and lip balm for my Grandmothers birthday and everyone loved the smell, so might make up a huge batch of different things for Christmas and tell people to help themselves (cheap chrissy pressies).

AFM don't feel as tired as I have been sleeping a little later in the morning. Thought this morning Will woke around 5 and got into Danny's chocolate mousse. He then climbed into Olly's cot and was "reading Olly a story".

meeskamouska

Night out - I'd prefer to do it when Paul is home that way he can mind the kids & I don't have to stress with them being with mum. Might b able to stay over too.

Sharna - sorry forgot to say about Josh. He's doing well. His surgery has been postponed till the end of the month but they opened his mouth the other day so he can actually chew now which he is wrapped about. CR is doing great!! She sleeps thru more often than not these days & no saying 'itchy itchy itchy' all day. Her feet have healed up nicely & only a few dry bits left & thats all. So happy about that. Were getting 2 new chooks hopefully on the weekend. The local market sell them for $9ea, good value. We have 2 but 4 would b better. You'll love having them. CR is a bit scared of them but Bella adores them. She pickes them up & pats them etc. Calls them a different name every day lol. The solid shampoo has similair ingredients to regular shampoo. I tried to use the most conditioning gentle ones I could get here in australia. We're limited to suppliers of that sort of stuff. Anyway, yes it looks like soap but isn't. Its more salon quality ingredients. I was surprised how nice it actually was. Might try a conditioner today.

I'm curious what ingredients they put in an organic shampoo actually. Its very easy to make organic soap & cosmetics like creams etc but shampoo is another story altogether, as u would know Mands with surfactants. U can get eco friendly ones but organic surfactants I'm not sure. I hate how loosely organic is used these days.

Sharna or Mel - the Suki brand u mention r they certified organic? Does it say on the bottle ...curious.

Mel - hope I didn't sound harsh yesterday. I didn't mean it like that. Sometimes I'm just firm with my kids & what I say goes. Cloth nappies saves us a small fortune here.

Bec - hope u have a good time at the speech group Thursday. What a great way to teach toddlers.

Ros - you've been quiet..... have u got internet yet.... I'm feeling your pain.

themelster

Hey Nat - no, you didn't sound harsh and I know what you mean. I'm going to leave it for the interim as the in law's will be looking after him now for a couple of days and she will want to use sposie's. Once they have gone home, I will take the sposie's away and see how we go. I just feel bad because what if he is more comfortable in the sposie's and that is why he is objecting to wearing the cloth now that he has worn sposie's? I know I would want to wear what is most comfortable too. Oh well, I'm sure I will figure it out.

Chooks - you are lucky. I'd love to have a couple. Even just 2 or 3. One day.

I just went and read the Sukin bottle and you are right. It doesn't say "organic" and it certainly isn't certified. It just says it is carbon neutral and contains to parabens SLS etc etc.

Mands - great idea to make stuff for xmas gifts. People will really like that too.

Bec - you never said how they evaluated Ethan and why they thought his expressive language was a bit delayed. Is his receptive language all good? Where is the playgroup. I'd happily look after Hannah for you but we will be on our way home on Thursday and then I have to take my Niece to her school Sex Education talk..... That will be fun!

Our girls night out we had pre-dinner drinks at the Port Office followed by Ortiga for dinner (seriously yummo!) and then went to Cloudland for some cocktails. It was fun.

Sharna - We just post it to each other on a message thread. Running is definately harder if you are carrying a bit more weight than you are used to. You will get there though. You are amazing for doing it when Aiden is still so young. Good on you! It took until Tom was about 18 months for me to really start getting back into it LOL. I still use him as an excuse now! heh.

I have used the Sukin facewash before and really liked it. I am using the BOD one at the moment and love it. I will probably buy it again. I will give the organics range a go.

Girls night out. I am free most weekend nights to the end of November at the mo. The place that Mands mentions is Simpatico. It's pretty good too. They do tapas'y style dishes that you can share. It is a bit exy, but not too bad.

Off for a run now, then get ready for our couple of nights away. Chat to you ladies soon.

Alis Volat Propiis

Mel - Here is a link to the website for the Organic Care range. I couldnt find anywhere on there re: their organic certification but they are SLS, SLE, ALE, ALS, paraben and petrochemical free which is what I look for in personal products. Like I said I am pretty happy with the quality and results... and of course the price. How was your run?

Mands re: finding out - we were more sure we didnt want to find out this time round as we both thought Aidan might be our last bub and the wait is really worth it. Glad to hear you are getting more sleep. Did you take pictures of the mess the boys must have made this morning? LOL

Nat - so do you lather the solid shampoo in your hands first? It sounds interesting.. i havent seen something like that before.

Night out - I really dont have any nights that I cant do... the luxury of having no life :p however Aidan still wont take the bottle so am not sure what to do about that. I will keep perservering but it is getting harder as he gets older. I have tried about 4 different bottles and teats now. :(

BBL

Both kids kicking off

Sharna

themelster

Run was good Sharna. 4.5km in 32 mins. I'm happy with that. I'm confident I can do all three legs of the tri individually - it's just putting them together that's going to be tricky!

meeskamouska

Girls night - owww I'll have that night that Mel mentioned...devine.... pre drinks, dinner & cocktails....pure bliss!! Seriously, anywhere will b good for me. I'll check the calender here also & narrow down some dates with Pauls shifts etc.

Sharna - the solid shampoo is a Lush thing, though theirs is FULL of SLS & very drying. I was using it previous to making mine but it was nasty & drying. U kinda rub it in your hands & smooch off a bit at the same time if that makes sense. Rub it in your hands & then rub it in your hair. I don't use any sls, paraben or any of those nasties u mentioned. The alternative to sls is often slsa. A much milder surfactant ( the bubbling agent).cocoa-betaine is another nicer one.

Off to have raspberries with yogurt & muesli... my favourite thing to eat. Charlee is in bed.

Ow Mel - when u took the sides off Toms cot did u have long straingt bar like rails that u had to put on?? I find them soooo annoying I took them off today. Slightly worried she might roll out but I'm over that bar being there. Also, r u going to convert the cot to a bed????? I'm thinking about it but don't know hwere to even start with finding out how to do it. There must be a bed kit u can buy or something.

Alis Volat Propiis

Just quickly.

Nat - i read somewhere on here a suggestion to put one of those pool noodles under the bottom fitted sheet along the edge of the toddler bed and the 'lump' is enough to stop them rolling out apparently. Worth a try as they are only a couple of dollars from Crazy Clarks or Big W or similar. I suppose you could use rolled up towels in a similar fashion.

Mel - with the C25K I am only up to the 90 sec intervals... not looking forward to week 5 which is only 3 weeks away.. that is a 5 min intervals day 1, 8 mins day 2 and a 20 min run on day 3. HAHA! The good thing is with the progression though I am training my body to learn to run and it does work. I just think i may need to repeat week 4 a few times (3 min runs) until i am a little fitter and lighter.. we shall see. My worry with the Tri is jelly legs coming off the bike and into the run.

Gotta put little man to bed, nadia in bed already, get lunch and watch the horse race.

Sharna

~Annika~

Feeling a bit better today, had some sunshine earlier today which always helps. Hot day here today though, even had the aircon on for the first time this year. Still waiting on my detox kit to arrive.

Mel Lol, your FIL sounds just like my dad, he leaves all the care of the kids to my mum and he just gets to cuddle them, tell them stories and make them laugh. (My mum said he was just like that when my big bro and I we tiny). My ILs are both really great with the boys thankfully. I tried the Sukin shampoo as well, and I didn't like it much either. Kind of made my hair more limp, and I am all about getting some body into it!

Nat the solid shampoo you made sounds great! The girls playing tea party in the garden sounds so precious!! :wub:

Sharna Great that Dan has really been trying to make up for his inconsideration for you the other night. I admire you for getting stuck into fitness, good on you!!!

Bec Hannah is doing so well with moving around so much. :babyflip: I take my hat off to you for getting the toilet training with Ethan under way already!! Haven't even thought of doing it yet with Bryce. All the best with it all!!

Mands I don't blame you for being in two minds about finding out what your baby is before the c/s. How far along are you now? We put alfoil on Tyler's window when he was about 1 so he wouldn't wake up at an unearthly hour in the mornings during summer. Worked beautifully!! Now Bryce is in that room and he sleeps beautifully too with the darkened window! :sleep:

Mum is coming here tomorrow to look after the boys for me so I can catch up with one of my good my friends tomorrow for the day! Yay, a day off!!! We'll go out for lunch etc, then go to the movies and catching up since it's been a while since we saw each other now! Sooooo looking forward to it!! :D

Alis Volat Propiis

Just bumping us back up.

Aidan has slept through the last two nights which is great! I am hopeful he is my good sleeping child and now that he is well again it seems he is getting back on track. Nadia however has woken at just before 5am the last two mornings... grrr! Off to spotlight to get some blackout material to put on the window. I am an alfoil advocate from many years of shift working however Dan doesnt like it. I am hoping to use velcro dots and make squares of the material to sit just inside the window frame.

Not much planned today. Once Aidan wakes I will take N to daycare. Crappy overcast weather here so a stay inside home day with my little man i think.

Annika - it was lovely to see you back on here. We do miss you.

Sharna

themelster

Annika, it is wonderful to see you back!

Sharna, Tom is an early riser. We have black out blinds but I think it is the noise of the birds. I wish we had daylight savings! Can I pick your brain about nursing? When you first started out (if you can remember!) could you be flexible with shifts? Or did you have to take whatever you could get? And what about now? Because you are more experienced - and have specialized, that allows you to be a bit more picky about shifts??? I just am wondering how "family friendly" the profession is. Will I be able to work my shifts around mark's shifts? Around school pick up times etc?

Alis Volat Propiis

Mel - most workplaces are definately on paper family friendly... once you are employed you do have more power to negotiate shifts etc. To reassure you, there are just as many people who like to do the unsociable shifts as those that dont. However in saying that I think you need to be realistic and accept the fact that nursing, unless you specialise early on, is a 24 hour job and initially you will need to do all 3 shifts as well as weekends. All my nurse managers were very flexible with the roster and if they cant accomodate you then I always found it easy to swap shifts with another nurse. Queensland health has a sort of unwritten policy 'Work life balance' Here that states until your child is school age they need to be flexible with you regarding your care options... so that means you can do pick-up etc and make sure you are rostered the days your child is in care. All the hospitals I have worked at in my career so far have utilised self-rostering where you fill in your fortnight/months roster with what you ideally want. You are allowed a certain number of 'requests' depending on your FT/PPT/casual status and these usually are not changed. I use those 'request' days for daycare days and special events. I hope that wasnt too confusing. The only thing I will say is that the FIRST thing you should do when you start working somewhere is look at the annual leave roster and get your requests in!!! LOL The christmas/easter/school holiday leave periods are normally booked up 2-3 years in advance which sucks for new staff as you can never get them off.

If you have any other questions just ask me :)

Sharna

~Annika~

Mel Thank you for your lovely welcome back!

Sharna Thank you also for your kind words, Sharna! :blush: I haven't stopped thinking about you all even when I am abscent for periods. What you just explained to Mel really got me thinking my own situation and I did some research online now to check out our WA policy on family friendly/flexible work hours. I will go to the Nurse manager at my hospital (who is a good friend of mine) and ask what she think about me returning to work but with better hours suited for school drop-off and pick-up times as Tyler is in pre-school next year. This has been THE issue on my mind with starting back at the hospital and really put me off returning if the shifts would totally clash with school. I have been doing some massaging in between like in the evenings after DH gets home from work but it hasn't been enough to supplement a second income for us.

Gotta go pick Tyler up from Kindy soon so better sign off.

themelster

Thanks so much for that info Sharna! It's been really helpful!!!

Annika - what work did you do at the hospital? Are you a nurse?? If so, I totally did not know that!