MelsRose

How do I get Icing to go "Dark" Blue?

MelsRose

Hi

I am making a Sonic cake for my son's birthday party tomorrow, and have just used about 1/3 bottle of Queen blue coloring in the icing, but it isn't blue enough. It is a medium blue, but I want it a lot darker. Should I get a different brand (is the one in the tear drop shape better?). I have used all I had in the bottle, so need to run down to Coles. Any ideas?

I am making butter cream icing (icing sugar, butter, milk)

Thanks in advance

Nightowl29

You need to go to a cake decorating store and purchase a bottle of navy Caroline's liquid colouring. I used it last year on my sons cake and it gave a beautiful dark blue colour.

Onyx

I agree with PP you need to buy a commercial food colour which is stronger.

I'm not sure where you live, but there is a great one in castle hill.

TinyTeddys

I have had the same problem! I haven't tried it but a friend recommended adding a little bit of black to get it darker. Goodluck!!

memy2girlz

I had blue icing for DD2's cakes y/day & the paste's are much stronger in colour...I bought mine online from a cake decorator.Any cake decorating shops nearby?I have plenty left but that does'nt help you...

FeralRebelWClaws

If you can get to a cake deco store, look at Americolor "Royal Blue" gel paste. You might need to add a touch of sky blue as well. You will still need to put a buttload of colour in to get that colour. (It's like trying to get navy or red, they take a heap of colour, which is why most decorators would airbrush the colour on and not colour all the icing, because all the children will look hypothermic after eating it hehehe.)

Edited by Taradiddle81

Bkrsdzn+1

And don't get frightened by the blue bowel motions the next day :rofl:

memy2girlz

:lol: at Shell14!I ate more icing than the kids cos I made too much & yes I got a shock!

I love all the pics I took of the kids with blue tongue's...priceless :happy:

MelsRose

Thank-you all!!

I did have some of the black gel writing at home, so ended up adding some of that and a few drops of red, and it helped!! My Hubby reassured me that the boys would not comment on the shade of blue, and to calm down and just use it :D Very pregnant Mum gave in, and it was a hit!!

I did eat a bit but haven't noticed any toilet color stains :o We did have lots of blue teeth and tongues here on Saturday though :D:D:D

Thanks again.

Next year I will get some of the professional stuff from a cake shop if I do Red or Blue again. Baby's christening cake will be SO much easier....pastel colors!!