Sign in to follow this  
Oldy11

C-section babies and mucous

Oldy11

Hi all,

I have a gorgeous 11 day old daughter that was born via c-section!

I know that babies born by c/s are a little more mucousy than those born vaginally but I was wondering if anyone can tell me how long this mucous congestion will last or how long before it starts to come out?

I have just noticed recently that my little girl has become quite congested and DH believes that this is her clearing herself out but I am not convinced (I am thinking that perhaps she has a cold etc). I will make an appt to see the Paed sooner rather than later but if anyone can help out here with their experience, I would be ever so grateful.

TIA

Kristy

Lightning_bug

OP, it really depends on the baby but two weeks isn't unusual.

DD had bad mucus problems when she was born and it lasted a month. But she was a tiny baby and we had feeding issues which meant she was weak and didn't move a lot.

babies need to move and have tummy time to make it come out. You have to remember that it can be in their lungs a little which is hard for a baby to move.

Take her to your local clinic and have her checked out. There's nothing wrong with putting your mind at ease.

HoneyMurcott

Do you mean nasal or chest congestion? Our 3rd c-section babe suffered badly from nasal congestion. We used saline drops successfully to clear it many times each day and overnight. Then we realised it was actually reflux causing the congestion (google symptoms of reflux and you will find this is a significant symptom of reflux). DS2 started Omeprazole / Losec at 2 weeks which certainly helped the congestion - along with all the usual reflux management techniques (upright after feeds, sleeping on an incline etc). Just a thought.

Oldy11

Thanks heaps for both of your replies, you have put my mind at ease!

HoneyMurcott - I mean mainly nasal congestion but I have noticed that she is a bit rattly in the chest and also sneezing alot today too!!! My DH is thinking that it is the mucus from birth moving and making it's way out of her body and me, I am just hoping that she is not coming down with a cold etc.... I am hoping that if that is the case that a newborn has the ability and immune system to fight common colds!!!! This is our first so I guess any symptom I am getting concerned about right now!!!

Nightinggale - thank you, it is reassuring to know that these things can take a little longer than 12 days to make their way out of her body. She is very happy within herself, has no temp and is eating as per normal so I am tending to think that perhaps DH is right and it is the mucus from birth.... if only they could talk hey!!

She is also a very windy baby and although it has not been professionally diagnosed, our poor darling suffers from with I think is colic. We changed her formula to Novalac Colic today and after only 2 feeds seems to have improved. Fingers crossed all these symptoms and the mucus are all normal!!

Thanks again for your replies, it's reassuring to know that there is somewhere to come and ask these questions!

Cheers

Kristy

Lokum

OP - my c/s baby was very sneezy in the early weeks, and my DH was concerned he was getting a cold, but our paed assured him it was DS way of clearing his nasal congestion and anything he needed to get rid of post-birth.

He's still got lots of boogers, but he hasn't had a cold or fever in his first 13 weeks, touch wood!

Hopefully your baby is sneezing all the mucus out, and will be quieter after this. I doubt it though! They seem very snuffly in the first few weeks, and make all kinds of noises designed to worry first-time parents! Good luck.

mellabella

Both my kids were CS and both had mucus issues, but DD more so. It took a good month for this to settle, and scarily she used to choke on her mucus while sleeping - she stopped breathing whilst in hospital and it definitely meant a lot of sleepless nights for me until it all cleared.

Hers was nasally and chesty......don't want to worry you but just check during the day while she is on her back that she isn't have any trouble breathing or getting around the mucus. Just somethng to be aware of.

Congratulations on our new arrival!