AnotherFeral

...apron sew-along? *Now running approx. 10.10.10 - 31.10.10*

AnotherFeral

I was pondering Christmas gifts today, and can think of at least two relatives who'd like a handmade vintage/retro-style apron, plus I could do with one myself. I'll be starting in about two weeks.

Would anyone like to do this with me? I have found a free pattern I'd like to use - here.

Edited by aratiaw

blueberry℘twist

Yes I would be interested too :D been meaning to do a couple for ages ;)

I really wanted to do the Emmaline apron but keep running out of money to get it ;)

AnotherFeral

Hi L&L :D.

Ooh, the Emmeline one is nice! The people I'm sewing for are pretty large in the bust though - might not suit them.

I found lots of free patterns when I searched - maybe there's something similar out there for you.

I'll start around 10 October (two weeks from now), so there's plenty of time to get your patterns and fabrics.

AnotherFeral

After seeing lots of recommendations in this forum, I placed my first order with Hawthorne Threads on Sunday night and it shipped on Monday morning! So I think it will probably be here in time. I ordered 9 yards - enough for four aprons, although I would not expect to complete more than one in a week. Might get some cheaper fabric locally to make one for myself and practise the pattern.

Should we do the sew-along for a week? This seems to be the time span for most sew-alongs, right?

RedHibiscus
Just wondering if we have to all use the same pattern? I'm not sure how these sew-alongs work. :blush:

AnotherFeral

LOL, I've never done this before either. L&L and blueberry twist already have patterns in mind, and mine is different again. I figure we just use whatever apron pattern we like, and post progress updates during the week of the sew-along (and hopefully photos too), to inspire each other. Personally I hope to do at least a little bit each day, even if it's just cutting out or pinning.

blueberry℘twist

"Generally" speaking a sew-along involves using the same pattern, so you can help out with certain steps or techniques used in the pattern, BUT I think being as most apron patterns are not too complex it would be ok to do this one with any pattern, and make it like the challenges we used to have on here.

Everyone could help each other out if/when needed, post progress photos, ideas for fabric combos etc. then have the final reveal when you are done :)

I am not sure what pattern I will be using, as I will have use a freebe online as I cant do any more buying at the moment :blush:

I will make a start late next week on mine ;) once I have decided on pattern and fabric that is (that is usually the hardest part for me ) :p

AnotherFeral

Thanks, that makes sense :).

aimee13

I'd love to join in as well if possible. Would also be interested in a similiar one to the Emmeline one.

AnotherFeral

Those are great! Your boys will love them.

RedHibiscus

I have ordered the Emmeline pattern, hopefully it will be here by the end of the week! :pray:

L&L I was going to get that same fabric in the pink lol! I think I will be going with spots & stripes now though. :D

blueberry℘twist

I have some Alexander Henry apples & pears fabric and a couple of other "kitchen" designs so I am going to make 3 aprons, 1 for me, 1 for DD and one for ??? not sure yet ;)

AnotherFeral

My fabric hasn't arrived yet, but I can show you what I ordered. I had planned to just use a single fabric per apron, but now I'm wondering if I should try to get coordinating fabrics or trims. What do you think?

Fabric 1

Fabric 2

Fabric 3

Fabric 4

blueberry℘twist

I am only using the patterned fabric on the top part of the aprons, the lower part (skirt) and strap/teis I will use a solid co-ordinating fabric, probably hot pink to match the apple/pears fabric and black for the other one which has a red & black kitchen theme fabric as the top part ;)

Zebette

I am tempted to join in but not sure I have the sewing skills quite yet...but...what type of material is suitable for aprons? Just a cotton or does it need to be something thicker?

I would love to make aprons for my 3 kids for Christmas.

RedHibiscus
Yep Jo, just cotton. Well that's what I'll be using anyway lol!

blueberry℘twist

The best fabric will be anything non-flammable;) so any type of coton will be good, I like to use cotton drill for the main skirt part as it is strong and washes well but not too thick for sewing.

You should definitely join in Zebette, this is the perfect challenge for a beginner I think :) and you can choose a more detailed design if you want to really challenge yourself :D

Zebette

When do we need to have this done by?

blueberry℘twist

There doest seem to be any rules going here ;) which is good :p

I think the sewing challenges we used to do were done for the whole month, it gives you time enough in case things come up, as happens with most parents ;) so what about the end of October for show-off time? :unsure:

I am really busy for the next week with birthday party and holiday stuff, but once school goes back I am set to go :D

AnotherFeral

Yeah, no rules. This isn't a formalised thing! Just do what you can. Everyone is welcome.

You can start early too, if you want. I only said the 10th because I have other projects to do before the aprons. End of October is fine if everyone wants to show their finished aprons by then? 31 October would give three weeks' sewing time. If you don't get it finished you can just show progress pics and finish it later.

I intend to do a bit each day and update as I go along. I hope to finish one apron in a week. Since I'm moving in early November, I'll probably have to pack up my sewing stuff before the 31st - happy to hold off showing finished pieces though if everyone prefers to reveal on the same day.

Zebette

End of October sounds fab count me in then.

RedHibiscus

I will start when my pattern arrives lol. :pray: it gets here by the end of the week. Mum gave me some fabric I planned on using for an apron so will probably do that on the reverse side of the Emmeline. I just need to find some 'me' fabric to do on the main side. Hmmm, raining here today (again!) so might be a good day to go for a slow stroll through SL (I usually know what I want from there, go in and get it lol!) to see what I can find. When I went out with Mum the other day I did spot some gorgeous fabric I could use to make another Feliz dress for Tori lol! :ph34r:

aratiaw I would get coordinating trims, especially if it is for a gift, but that's just me. :blush: I love the pears fabric, that would look gorgeous with an orange trim!

:waves: Hi to all my fellow apron-sewers. Hope you're having a lovely (and dry!) long weekend. :D

AnotherFeral

Yes, I think you're right about the trims. The first two fabrics are the most important; I might have to wait until they arrive so I can match them in person. There is a shop near me that is expensive but has a huge range, so it is likely to have something suitable.

RedHibiscus

I got my fabric, will blog it when it dries. :dance:

ETA: I blogged my fabric! :)

Edited by RedHibiscus

Zebette

I got my fabric as well...same as L&L's second one. This will be for Mr 6..and I shall see how it turns out first before making/buying anything for the DD;s.