Jordansmummy

Homeopath

Jordansmummy

Hi All

I have been seeing a Naturoapth for 12 months, I feel much better, the only issue is when I stop taking some of the supplements and my symptoms return and I cant afford to continue taking them for the rest of my life so I looked into Homeopath who treat the person not the symptoms, quite different to Naturopathy, I went 3 weeks ago and go for my follow up tomorrow. I have been feeling much better in the last couple of weeks, and hope this is my answer :)

Just wondered about others experience with Homeopathy?

Thanks

Lisa

Seb'smum

I can relate to the supplements & the cost !

So how does a homeopath treat you? I thought they also give you supplements, just different ones.

I have never seen one, I see a naturopath every now and then-they are also meant to be treating a whole person, not just the symptoms.

You can adjust your diet to consume foods rich in the nutrients you need and it's much better for you but it depends what you are actually lacking.

Share your experience with the homeopath :)

Jordansmummy

I saw the Homeopath 3 weeks ago and I am taking 4 different bottles of remedies, each 10 drops in a little bit of water. I think it is a little cheaper than my naturopath costs, hard to tell after one visit. I go back tomorrow so will be back to give an update as it goes by.

He doesn't treat any illness individually , but wants to know all symptoms you have suffered and I found him to be more interested in my personality, what I like what I don't like, if you like summer /winter, hot/cold, sweat/sour etc some things may seem so unrealated to your health but they try to get to know the person... he is also a naturopath but works mainly in Homeopathy. He has a website which goes into more detail on the Naturopathy and Homeopathy. http://www.cottnat.com.au/homeopathy-explained.asp I am in Perth but his website is pretty informative :)

The one thing I have read treating the symptoms doesn't always fix the problem, if you don't fix you as a whole person, when you stop the supplement the symptoms will re-occur, where Homeopaths treat the person which will elevate the symptoms if that makes sense, took a bit to get my head around, but now I understand what its all about.

When two people going in with the same issue most naturoapths would giving them the same supplements, where no two people are the same and homeopathy may treat them completely different.

I am curious if anyone has had any success, I am willing to give it some time, so far I have felt better.

I was diagnosed with Coeliac disease a year ago and have multiple food allergies/intolerances, bloating, anxiety, constipation, irregular periods and occasional headaches (used to be really bad migraines), some of these symptoms have gotten much better like the headaches, but I still have a way to go to feel 100%

Seb'smum

I am in Perth too so let me know how you go.

I am considering taking my 2 yo to a naturopath or homeopath to strenghten his immune system.

The poor thing started daycare this year and this is his first winter with hundreds of bugs around him :)

ikt
I think it is a little cheaper than my naturopath costs, hard to tell after one visit.

What's cheaper:

Water

or

Herbs

(it's water)

Homeopathy is the most widespread and accepted form of western natural medicine in the world today.

http://www.cottnat.com.au/homeopathy-explained.asp

It's also quickly becoming the most fastest falling 'medicines' since snake oil.

http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,,5789488,00.html

"Homeopathy has a very long tradition in Germany," he added in an interview with Deutsche Welle. "The founder, Hahnemann was a brilliant physician. But at that time doing nothing was helpful to the patient. In 200 years, the pseudo-science has not taken any steps forward."

He also added that under the Third Reich, Nazi medical officials explored it as a "non-Jewish medicine," and even they gave up on it.

Guest **KM**

My first experience of homeopathy was some pills from my naturopath when i first started seeing him, I wasn't sure if they helped or not as it went along with some other therapies he was doing (Bowen Therapy). Then my DH decided to study naturopathy and in his first semester did some homeopathy subjects. Not long he came home and told me he was transferring from naturopathy into homeopathy as he felt he could assist more people with it and it fitted more with what he wanted to do. I nearly chucked a wobbly (actually I did) as I had NO idea there was an actual career as a 'homeopath' and had no idea if the stuff even worked. I must say it didn't take long for me to 'convert'. He started using remedies on our kids for simple things and then I had some health issues and he booked me in to see one of his lecturer's. It had a huge impact on my recovery (the issues were a mix of physical and emotional) and I no longer was able to question it's legitimacy.

Anyway he's been a qualified homeopath for 6 years now and it's been amazing to see some of my family and friends converted with a single remedy.

I still find it hard to explain how it actually works (although my DH seems to explain it well) ... but I don't try and convince people, I let them try it and then I don't have to do any convincing :)

Good luck with the journey OP!

VigilantePaladin

KM is spot on.

Homeopaths have their place just as Naturopaths, Acupuncturists, Herbalists, Chiropractors, Drs and everyone who works in the health industry. What works for YOU may not work for others and even some aspects of each modality may not work every time for you. It is about finding the most effective treatment for YOU at the time of presentation.

I have used it many times and have varying degrees of success depending on what I am being treated for. I have used it alone and in conjunction with herbs and supplements.

It is all about finding what works for the individual.

Jordansmummy

Thanks Everyone,

Went today and told him I was feeling much better in just 3 weeks, he was happy with my progress and has increased the potency and go back in three weeks, definately cheaper than my Naturopath.

Funny you say that about your hubby, My friend is studying Holistic health and in her first year she said the same and really believed it was more helpful, she was the one who recommended Homeopathy to me. I have given Naturopathy a good try for about 14 months, I have improved so I wont knock it at all, but think maybe a different approach is just wat i need to take the next step.

Will keep you informed, as for the pricing, I spent $170 on first visit at $140 today, he said next time he will leave it a lot longer between visits. He has also given me hope of 6 months to cure my symptoms so its worth a shot, I have felt alot better in the 3 weeks :) Plus I will get some back from my health fund for both consults :)

Guest **KM**
Will keep you informed, as for the pricing, I spent $170 on first visit at $140 today, he said next time he will leave it a lot longer between visits.

Wow, what area do you live in? I guess if it works then it's all worth it, just very high fees. My DH charges around $60 for each visit (including remedies), although he should charge more for the first one as he usually spends 1 1/2 hrs - 2 hrs with them. My naturopath only charges $55 per visit (and then remedies on top of that). I think for the 4 years of study they do, anything under $100 is reasonable (except if it's in an area like Sydney where cost of living is much higher, I guess there are other places too ... we are in a regional town so much cheaper :) ).

I see there is a place for both homeopaths and naturopaths (I see both), it just depends on what the issue is with what might work better.

Jordansmummy

I thought it was not too bad, it was $70 for the consult and I got 4 remedies for $140. I am not in long, I used to be in longer with my Naturopath.

My Naturopath was $80 per consult, plus I was buying heaps of supplements some were $60, some were $30ish all varied. So it used to end up costing a few hundred.

I went to the Holistic school here with supervised students in Perth and it was only $20ish for the consult but the remedies were maybe $30 each and they also recommended supplements too so even that wasn't really a lot cheaper.

I am in WA, your husbands not in Perth is he? :)

Guest **KM**
I thought it was not too bad, it was $70 for the consult and I got 4 remedies for $140. I am not in long, I used to be in longer with my Naturopath.

Can I ask how the remedies look eg. are they sugar pills in a small bottle or are they in liquid form in a proper labelled bottle or something?

How long were you in your first appt for?

Yeah we're in central Vic and I would imagine Perth to charge a bit higher than us so $70 is very reasonable :)

Jordansmummy

They are drops in bottles, 10 drops in little water, he makes them up and handrwites on the labels after the consult I wait 10 mins for him to do them.

First initial was about 1 hr, yesterdays was very quick maybe 20mins.

Guest **KM**

Sounds good ... hoping it is really effective for you :D

ikt
I must say it didn't take long for me to 'convert'.

Going from naturopathy to homoeopathy is like going from snake oil to leeches.

You don't 'convert' from one medicine to the next, you use what works and what is best evidenced to work, I anxiously await which bottle you use to mend a broken arm.

It is all about finding what works for the individual

Sure, but we don't go 8000 years without learning a thing or about snake oil.

I still find it hard to explain how it actually works (although my DH seems to explain it well)

I've read about it, I know about it, and I've seen it, and when it's right in line with the placebo effect I don't buy it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_memory

Third-party attempts at replication of the Benveniste experiment have failed to produce positive results that could be independently replicated. In 1993, Nature published a paper describing a number of follow-up experiments that failed to find a similar effect,[21] and an independent study published in Experientia in 1992 showed no effect.[22] An international team led by Professor Madeleine Ennis of Queen's University of Belfast claimed in 1999 to have replicated the Benveniste results.[23][24] Randi then forwarded the $1 million challenge to the BBC Horizon program to prove the "water memory" theory following Ennis' experimental procedure. In response, experiments were conducted with the Vice-President of the Royal Society, Professor John Enderby, overseeing the proceedings. The challenge ended with no memory effect observed by the Horizon team.[25] For a piece on homeopathy, the ABC program 20/20 also attempted, unsuccessfully, to reproduce Ennis's results.[26]

Research published in 2005 on hydrogen bond network dynamics in water showed that "liquid water essentially loses the memory of persistent correlations in its structure" within fifty millionths of a nanosecond.[6]

Drats :((

Edited by ikt

Jordansmummy

Hi IKT

Just curious have you had much experiences with Natural Therapies? Positive or Negative?

I was not a big believer in any Natural therapies although I had a Migraine for +15 days, I was hopsitalised 3 times in the two weeks and they got rid of the pain but within hours it was back (as soon as the medications wore off) I had seen so many doctors for years about my headaches, MRI's x-rays, physio, you name it tried them all with no success. I started getting migraines when I was 10.

I went to acupuncture in pure desperation and it was instant relief and it didn't return :), that is what made me really believe something else could work other than than hospitals and doctors. So far I have had nothing but positive experiences with holistic health practices.

I am now thirty and for the first time in my life I have not had one migraine for over a year. I suffered for nearly 20 years of migraines, I have had a couple of headaches in the last year although nothing that needed medication, just some peppermint oil on my temples, sleep and I still like monthly accupuncture.

Although Homeopathy is quite a new experience for me, its only been three weeks but I am feeling good, so its worth a shot.

I also do believe in Placebo's as the mind is a very powerful tool.

VigilantePaladin
I've read about it, I know about it, and I've seen it,

Have you used it ? No? Then how could possibly know whether it would do you any good or not ? :rolleyes:

ikt
Have you used it ? No? Then how could possibly know whether it would do you any good or not ? :rolleyes:

Are you suggesting that in order for me to work out whether something is true or false I'm going to have to use it? In every single instance? For example I've never seen the other side of the moon should I assume the moon is actually flat? or should I assume that because I've never seen Brisbane that it's actually a movie set in Sydney?

For the sake of an argument I could actually say I've used some 'homoeopathic' remedies since based on this chart (correct me if I'm wrong) some remedies do use this much dilution:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homeopathy#Dilutions

10^60: Dilution advocated by Hahnemann for most purposes;

patient would need to consume 1041 pills (a billion times the mass of the Earth), or 1034 gallons of liquid remedy (10 billion times the volume of the Earth) to consume a single molecule of the original substance[67]

So essentially it's water, and yes I've had plenty of water, it heals me of thirst all the time ;)

Hi IKT

Just curious have you had much experiences with Natural Therapies? Positive or Negative?

Some positive, some negative, I'm frightened though by what is otherwise obviously a scam, I'm not out to convince anyone, because I'm well aware of how most people are:

http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/ideas/ar...facts_backfire/

Facts don’t necessarily have the power to change our minds. In fact, quite the opposite. In a series of studies in 2005 and 2006, researchers at the University of Michigan found that when misinformed people, particularly political partisans, were exposed to corrected facts in news stories, they rarely changed their minds. In fact, they often became even more strongly set in their beliefs. Facts, they found, were not curing misinformation.

Like an underpowered antibiotic, facts could actually make misinformation even stronger.

:(

Although Homeopathy is quite a new experience for me, its only been three weeks but I am feeling good, so its worth a shot.

I also do believe in Placebo's as the mind is a very powerful tool.

Placebo definitely is a very very powerful tool.

This video is excellent at showing how powerful it is:

(note: does contain blood ;) )

Edited by ikt

Guest **KM**
Some positive, some negative, I'm frightened though by what is otherwise obviously a scam

There's actually no 'scamming' when consenting adults pay for a service and get results and are happy. Who gives a stuff if it's placebo or not (although I am still trying to work out how placebo works on babies and animals given I have seen results in both - or is the power of my mind enough to fix my child who's in pain and stops crying instantly on receiving a remedy or the dog who had a thorn stuck deep in it's paw and the remedy made the thorn surface and come out) - if it works and the client is happy then it's a good deal. Oh and by the way there are homeopaths who actually don't charge unless they get results (like my DH) and he has people who continue to come back to him, so something's working - if it wasn't working then they'd walk away with their money.

Anyway I respect the fact that some people don't and won't ever believe (despite not trying it), but I don't respect people who come into threads where someone is asking for experiences of people who are using it and supporting it just to argue. There's a general section and WDYT for that, you don't need to come into the natural therapies section just for a stir.

Jordansmummy

I agree KM, I have had nothing but positive experiences so I don't feel like I have been scammed in the slightest, I do think it may not work well for everyone. It is never forced upon anyone and they make a choice to consult with a Naturopath or Homeopath.

I hoped that others could share experiences positive and negative in the Natural Therapy thread not just come into the thread to just stir. Hey each to their own and I don't judge others for having a difference of opinion, but I did ask for people to share their personal experiences with either a Naturoapth or Homeopath.

~dancing~leaf~

I have had very good results from homeopathy, as have my kids. Above all, it's prevented them, and myself, from having to take unnecessary, over prescribed, antibiotics.

I would not have hesitated to take the antibiotics, as the doc ordered, if I had to, but I am very happy to say I didn't need to after homeopathic remedies and kinesiology. It has been amazing for my moods as well as illness.

I wouldn't waste my time spreading the negativity if it has worked for even one person. Why try to convince people to not give it a go. If it works, it works. If it doesn't, it doesn't. If your interested in it, research to positive stories and the power of placebo and our energy field and how it relates to illness.

Vibrational medicine is very interesting.

If you think you cannot heal yourself than you are right... if you think you CAN heal yourself than you are also ...RIGHT....

You are not being scammed :rolleyes:

Good luck with it. x

localyokel

As a family we have had great experiences with homeopathy. That includes the dogs, cats and horses.

Probably should catch that wombat and dose him up for mange? :lol: nah i'm not getting close to those teeth! My daughter has had antibiotics prior to dental surgery due to a heart problem, but she has never had to have antibiotics otherwise. She is now 12. Not bad going. I'm not going to argue points with ikt but would like to point out that homeopathy doesnt claim to fix broken bones - depending on the break, the damage around the break etc etc then it may or may not need surgery. However, homeopathy could work to reduce soft tissue swelling and in older people to help the bone heal more completely. I've had several breaks with teenagers due to their sports and they havent needed anythiing for bone regeneration as young bones heal well and quickly, us oldies tho, thats a different matter and i have a couple of friends who have used homeopathy to help the bone mend as strongly as possible. Homeopathy doesnt have to be an 'alternative therapy' it can also be a 'complementary therapy'.

I think people find what suits them the best - and thats the way it should be. I wouldnt force anyone to use orthodox medicine (its called assault) nor homeopathy, nor physiotherapy. Its all about freedom of choice for adults, and freedom of parents within safety for chiildren. Ali

anon60
I anxiously await which bottle you use to mend a broken arm.

It's called "Skelegrow" - I saw it in a Harry Potter movie.

Jordansmummy
It's called "Skelegrow" - I saw it in a Harry Potter movie.
:rofl:

Thanks Ladies, so good to hear some positive comments :) I am feeling pretty great, long time since I could say that, 4 weeks since I started with the Homeopath and honestly I feel much happier, I wake up quite excited to go to work, I am not stressing as much. Anxiety has improved, my digestive system has improved but not 100% still but there has been an improvement.

I know I still got lots of room for improvement I also suffer very irregular periods and PMS, some of the PMS symptoms have got better (first month in a while, I have not had extremely painful boobs :) but will have to wait a few cycles before I can tell if my cycle can regulate with his treatment.

Thanks

Lisa

chamillia

ikt - how does placebo work on babies and animals?

Why is it so hard to believe that just because we don't know WHY something works, it does? How arrogant.

ikt
There's actually no 'scamming' when consenting adults pay for a service and get results and are happy.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/scam

To defraud or embezzle.

They tried to scam him out of his savings.

You're comment has an immediate issue:

There's actually no 'scamming' when consenting adults pay for a service and get results and are happy.

The water/homeopathic water you are drinking is not providing you with a result, therefore you are being scammed.

Who gives a stuff if it's placebo or not

Anyone who doesn't like to be scammed, there are major ethical issues with placebo treatments and there's a reason doctors don't do it anymore.

(although I am still trying to work out how placebo works on babies and animals given I have seen results in both - or is the power of my mind enough to fix my child who's in pain and stops crying instantly on receiving a remedy or the dog who had a thorn stuck deep in it's paw and the remedy made the thorn surface and come out)

Give a man a fish and he'll eat for day, give a man the illusion of a fish and he die trying to eat the fish that doesn't exist.

I'm amazed at the power of ENYA, baby was crying in massive pain, put on enya, suddenly everythings ok, time to start marketing enya as an alternative medicine in my opinion ;)

- if it works and the client is happy then it's a good deal. Oh and by the way there are homeopaths who actually don't charge unless they get results (like my DH) and he has people who continue to come back to him, so something's working - if it wasn't working then they'd walk away with their money.

There's a _____ born every minute.

I wish your DH would get into proper medicine and help our system and people out.

Anyway I respect the fact that some people don't and won't ever believe (despite not trying it)

See my argument above about not needing to try something to know if it's bad.

but I don't respect people who come into threads where someone is asking for experiences of people who are using it and supporting it just to argue. There's a general section and WDYT for that, you don't need to come into the natural therapies section just for a stir.

That's because I saw the thread and the post:

"Just wondered about others experience with Homeopathy?"

She came into the homeopath section of the forum asking for experiences with homeopathy, my question to her is, why bother? You already know everyone is going to say OH YEAH IT'S GREAT! WORKS FOR ME! A++ because everyone who hangs around here is into it, people who think homeopath is a load aren't going to be sitting around discussing the benefits of it.

ikt - how does placebo work on babies and animals?

I'm not a veterinarian but I can take a stab at it:

http://punkpsychologist.blogspot.com/2010/...-babies-or.html

Why is it so hard to believe that just because we don't know WHY something works, it does? How arrogant.

? We know why and also how it works, it's placebo :)

I have had very good results from homeopathy, as have my kids. Above all, it's prevented them, and myself, from having to take unnecessary, over prescribed, antibiotics.

Experiment, this may work, this may not, I'm genuinely interested.

Grab the old homeopathy bottles, whatever the taste was of the homeopathic medicine, go out and buy some cordial or tea or whatever or herbs or whatever to match the taste.

Fill the old bottle with the water with the matching taste, make sure they taste extremely similar.

Now when your kids have issues, tell them this is the super version of the bottle and see what kind of reaction it has, sell it like there's no tomorrow, this is expensive stuff etc, sure you're lying to your kids but can't be worse than what you're doing to them now.

Interested to see the response.

Something not related at all:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Couvade_syndrome

Our bodies are insane.

Edited by ikt