Tooth-Fairy

Day care clothing

Tooth-Fairy

What does your child wear to daycare and does the clothing really get trashed?

The information booklet said for the children not to wear good clothes but just wondering if some types of clothing are better or worse than others. I was planning to send my 2 year old in tracky pants and long sleeved t'shirts and a zip up hoody. Most of his clothing is quite good (read my mother in law is happy to spend up big on designer clothing!) so I was thinking of getting 3 or so sets from KMart for him?

WDYT? WDYD?

deejie

DS attends daycare dressed in the basic track pants/singlet/top and zip up jacket from Kmart/Big W. He comes home with food smeared on his clothes, dirt, sand... sometimes a bit of paint. I wouldn't be sending him in any 'nice clothes' that's for sure. Some stains I just can't get stains out, but I send him along in the same outfits every week regardless.

1975ladybug

DS (7 months) wears a long sleeve bodysuit and a tracksuit, if its chilly then I will add a tee shirt over the bodysuit. Sometimes its a all in one suite with leggings underneath.

Basically nothing that would be hard or expensive to replace, so far we have only lost socks, but DH has a habit of forgetting something every week.

Oh and nothing too light that stains easily.

chucklebury

Yeah we send ds in the same and some stains dont come out. I find i choose darker colours as well but we have the same few outfits that get sent each week. I find items dont get misplaced at day care if he is in the same clothes each week as well :)

g_uzica

I think it really depends on the daycare centre. Our daycare is really good about the children wearing aprons with sleaves or stripping them to their nappies when they're painting and doing messing activities, so her clothes don't get affected much. Most of DD's clothes are brand names (all bought on sale cheap), and get washed after every wear and I found that quality clothing stands up to the constant washing.

sillysausage

My kids look really daggy when going to child care!!

We were given heaps of hand me downs from friends and kept a lot purely for play/child care clothes.

Paint often doesn't come out. My childrens clothes are always clean, however I do still send them to cc wearing clothes with paint stains.

CC clothes need to be functional. I see many little girls wearing lovely long summer dresses or strappy tops with really aren't appropriate for child care or kindy IMO.

And, its also nice to dress them up on weekends or when going out, keeping their nice clothes special.

babblefish

i buy/get given secondhand especially for the purpose. most of the time cc is good about aprons, but seriously i have had some things that are never to be removed. (think black paint and shaving cream mixed together....)

Avogadro

Get a few sets of clothes from big w. Also ask friends for old hand me downs. Don't stress about sending clothes that have paint stains etc.

mumtogplusone

I buy bundles of second hand clothing on ebay - super cheap and although there is often stuff that I don't use, there's plenty is perfectly good enough to get trashed at kindy. And it really gets trashed!!

I keep all DD's nice outfits for when she is with me!!

msro82

I have to say DD has never had anything ruined at daycare and she has been going for 4 days for 2.5 years.

Sure we get the odd stain but nothing major. If all her "daycare" clothes are in the wash I send her in good clothes.

Go with dark clothes. I recommend trackpants for the the comfort of naps and climbing etc.

DD also looks like a dag, a little mismatched at times, but it doesn't really matter.

klr70

My SIL bought bulk lots of clothing (in the appropriate size range) off eBay. Most were in "good used condition", some newer than others - all perfectly suitable for daycare. The clothes can get a bit trashed with mud/sand/paint, etc - so definitely don't send your child in any "good" clothes.

Baggy

DD wears her normal clothes. She doesn't have 'day care clothes'

None of her clothes have been ruined.

Kay1

I use DS1's least good hand me downs for DS2. I also bought a few cheap tracksuits from Target and I mix and match them for daycare.

I haven't had too much ruined but of course the ones that have have been the times I've sent him in 'good' clothes. All the mums send their kids in trackies - none of the toddlers wear good clothes. By preschool its a different story though.

mmk

I don't send DS in anything that I'm going to get upset over it getting ruined. At 2yo he's not wearing a bib so he sometimes gets spaghetti/tuna bake etc over his tops. He sometimes forgets to put a smock on if he's painting. Other children have 'mishaps' with the paint that end up over other children. Their clothes can get lost. The list can go on! And it's not through lack of supervision that this stuff happens, it's because they're 2yo & not getting a mother watching over everything they do to keep their clothes clean!

Having said that though he goes in nice clothes. I wouldn't send him in something that I wouldn't take him down the street in, but at times I do send him in clothes where the stains haven't come completely out.

I do have a 'weekend' wardrobe though that doesn't go to childcare.

If most of his wardrobe is designer clothes then yes, buy some Kmart/Target stuff. Or maybe ask on your local freecycle if anyone has some clothes they've outgrown?

nellieb

DD wears whatever happens to be ironed - fancy, daggy, brand name, el cheapo - whatever. It's all clothes! I've never had any daycare stains not wash out.

Doesn't cross our minds in the morning whether she's going to daycare or staying home. They're just clothes and if I buy them I like her to wear them - and frankly if rather she wear them out than grow out of them in pristine condition. Stains or wear marks to me show they're clothes that have been well loved.

Julie3Girls

My oldest never went to daycare, the younger did. Because they had a big sister, they both had a lot of hand me down clothes.

They have everyday clothes, that they wear for playing around at home, or daycare/preschool. And then they have nicer stuff.

I haven't had any clothes lost at daycare. And very few things ruined - just one or two long sleeved tops that had got paint on the sleeves.

Practical everyday clothes, things with sleeves for sun protection.

zibble

DS also wears cheap tracksuit pants and cheap tops at daycare. He still gets a lot of food on him so I keep the nicer clothes for home. They even often change him and he still manages to get the second set of clothes dirty. DS is a very busy boy and loves making a mess with his food at home too so I am changing him a few times a day at home too.

What Ever

My DD is filthy all the time! Lol

I send her in regular clothes, do you change your child before they do any messy play? If so send DS in those clothes. They won't be as careful as you are with clothes.

gizboo

My children also wear 'everyday' comfy clothes. (Trackies, hoodies, tees) Never had any stains that haven't come out.

Definitely don't send them in their special going out type clothes, but def haven't purchased any daycare specific clothes.

Dionysus

I send DD in comfortable clothes.

She is only 13 months and has gone to CC one day per week since she was 7 months. We have gone through the spewing stage, food everywhere stage, crawling stage, teething/drooling stage. She is now walking.

I have never worried about the clothes getting too dirty, just that they are comfortable for her to crawl/walk and sleep in.

So, each week she wears bodysuit, longsleeve t-shirt, tracksuit pants, hoody.

ETA - hand me down clothes are good for CC, but I haven't bought anything specifically for cc purposes.

Edited by **Mel**

babybelli

I bought the basic tracksuit pants, jumpers, shorts from Big W and teamed them up with second hand and old cloths for daycare.

heather124

my daughter has been in daycare for 7 months and has only come home dirty 2 times, once when she dropped a bit of her soup on her shirt (they changed her to a clean shirt) and the second when some of the kids were painting and she wasnt' and one of them got her with their paintbrush. But that's it. She just goes in whatever clothes she'd wear at home, I don't dress her any different.

Edited by heather124

hamiriver

We have a few shirts and pants which are just day care only. I dont care if he gets paint all over, and he is happy its his uniform. We can also buy t shirts, fleeces and hoodies from the daycare/kindy .

KatakaGeoGirl

My kids have all good quality clothing. They have never trashed any of their clothes and they always have worn nice stuff - to either daycare or preschool. I have seen plenty of other kids at the same centres with trashed clothing. So wondering if maybe my kids are just clean nuts - like me. But I haven't had a problem with it.

Guest CaptainOblivious

We have a separate shelf for daycare clothes. Mostly clothes that are a bit daggy but supercomfy and sun safe. I feel a bit bad sometimes because all 4 of the other little girls (she does family day care) are immaculately dressed in little outfits from pumpkin patch, or sprout or whatever every day and there's my DD wearing track pants that my nana made or a pair of stretchy cotton shorts with a t-shirt and sneakers.

The daycare mum is pretty slack about putting smocks on them and initially we had lots of nice clothes with paint stains or dye marks and so on so I'd rather just send stuff that is comfortable and that isn't too fancy.