item

item

Edited by in(s)ane

marniehau

Cut out a piece of greaseproof paper a little larger than your applique design and use masking tape to attach it on the reverse side of the t-shirt where your applique is.

Sew on the applique. I normally make a line of straight stitching just inside the applique edge and then do a line of satin stitch next.

When you have finished sewing on the applique, you can tear off the grease proof paper. Gift wrap tissue paper is also suitable.

Hope that helps!

AuntyC

Are you interfacing your appliqué?

When I applique, I use this stuff that you iron onto the back of the applique fabric, then you peel off a backing and then iron it on to the garment. This helps it stay put and also stabilises.

I then place a bit of tear-away stabiliser between the machine and the back of the garment. You can use greaseproof paper, or tissue paper as alternatives for this.

Another thing to consider is the needle that you are using. First of all, is it sharp? If it is a little blunt, it could be pushing your t-shirt fabric into the machine instead of pushing through it. Are you using a stretch needle or a universal needle? I would expect that a stretch needle would be the best option for this.

Also make sure that when you start stitching, that your loose threads are out of the way in case they are being dragged into the feed dogs. You can pull the bobbin thread to the top the same way you pull it up when you thread your machine. This way you can see where it is and it isn't tangling up underneath the machine.

I would do some tests on some scraps until you are happy with the results so that your t-shirt doesn't end up looking like a dogs breakfast.

Good luck with it and come back and let us know how it goes. I would love to see pictures.

item

Edited by in(s)ane