mummas_angels

how old were you when you had your first child

7th_heaven

I agree with Mummas_angels

i dont think she meant to offened anyone personally

I think that she just wanted to say to all those people who put her and her husband down when they got pregnant , that they had overcome all the things they said would happen to them and that they are very happy and content with the ways their lives have turned out.

I dont think she was trying to say that the way they live their lives is the way that all young parents should be living , I think that her point was , that they as a family had overcome the challenges of young parenthood and are doing well.

I (like her) believe that all young parents and even parents of all ages do the best they can for their children , it doesnt matter if you can affored to have the best house , newest cars or send them to private school , coz in the end that really doesnt matter , what really matters is the love and care that the child is given

Edited by 7th_heaven

The Awesome One

i had my 1st ds 1 day before my 21st birthday and i was 23 when my twins were born, all were very much planned and wanted.

dh and i have been together since we were 16, we were engaged at 17, married at 18 and started ttc pretty much straight away (obviously it took us longer than we expected).

i haven't had many rude comments, one silly old woman told me that i was too young to have twins, little did she know that i also had a 3yr old who was with his nana that day. my dh has had someone tell him hes disgusting, and ofcourse we have had the oh it wont last, you don't know what you're getting into, you're not going to cope comments (some of these from my own mother). i have also had a few drs treat me like i'm an idiot, and ofcourse when they investigate they turn around and say i was right. most of this has stopped now that i'm getting older (25 this year), but i still get a few stares. i try not to let any of these things bother me, and on the whole they dont, but i admit if im already having a bad day they do get under my skin a little. actually its not the young mum comments that get me, its the twins comments, like when someone yells out across the shopping center "oh twins!!" makes me wanna yell out no sh*t Sherlock.

Baggy

I had DD when I was 17.

I'm 19 now, an DD is 17months.

Edited by Baggy

Fab6

We got married when I was 19, so we already got alot of the "too young" comments

I was:

20 when I had DS1

22 when I had DS2

23 when I had DD

24 when I had DS3

26 when bub #5 is born

10yeargap

DD= 15

DS= 25

Live.Love.Learn

Edited by Live.Love.Learn

rokate

I am 21 and just given birth to my first baby.

2) Are you and the childrens father married ?

Yes, we have been married 2 years in September, together for 4years.

3) What does the father do for Work ? -

He is in the Navy.

4) Do I Plan to go To college ? -

Trying to decide what degree I want to do first.

5) Do we live in our own house ?

No, would love to though. To hard at the moment.

lovemyart

I had DD1 when I was 20, DS when I was 23 and almost 26 with DD2.

The only comment I had was from my uni lecturer. When I was 7mths pregnant with DS, I told him that Im having a baby in jan, he was quite taken back and gave me a mini lecture on coping with a baby, and maybe i should postpone my studies for 1 year, i told him 'no worries, its my second kid'. lol his jaw dropped so fast!!

When I showed up pregnant in my 3rd year, I was shown nothing but support and well wishes.

Guest ourdelight

I will be 22 when the baby is born.

DH and I first started TTC when I was 20.

I will no doubt be asked by random strangers why so young once I get a big belly. I received so much negative feedback when strangers saw my engagement & wedding rings on my finger. Always telling me I'm way to young to be married and "what makes you think you have found the one when you have a life to live yet?"

I take it with a grain of salt. If they were people I cared about, then obviously I'd be offended but strangers are strangers, they wouldn't know me from a bar of soap, nor do I feel the need to justify myself to them. ;)

ButterflyDreams

I was 24 when i had DD1 and DD2 (not twins but 11 months apart) and 26 when i had DS

cvgirl

I wasn't a young mum at all ... I had my first when I was 27. When I was pregnant and waiting at a bus stop in the CBD, I had two Jehovah's Witness ladies come up to me and try to push a magazine with a feature story about teenage pregnancies onto me. I told them I wasn't a teen.

hermeandsoon2b

What I find amazing about this thread is that some of the most informative and astute posts on EB come from the wise women in this thread... and here we are, expecting our first baby and taking advice from the fabulously experienced mums young enough to be our own daughters! :clap: We are all different! Love it!

hermeandsoon2b

oh... and IF the clairvoyant is right and the baby comes a little early then I'll be 41 when #1 arrives. Due date is actually 11 days after my... ummm... one bigger than 41st birthday though :fear:

Liadan

DF and I are both 26. We got engaged about 18 months ago, the idea of holding a wedding terrifies me (Both our families in the same room at the SAME TIME! you are kidding.... right??) People tell me to just hold a small ceremony, or elope, but that isn't what either of us want to do. Anyway, this is a thread about bub's, not weddings.

When we told DF's parents that I'm pregnant, they were shocked. They said it was too soon, that we wouldnt manage, we werent ready (financially, emotionally... etc). But, even with those comments, they have been very supportive (I think his mum is more excited than we are). We have been given more baby things from them than from everyone else combined! I think that has something to do with DF being an only child.

A few people have asked us when we'll get married, we've told them that it will be AFTER bub is born. We've gotten a few "looks" at that response, I'm surprised at the amount of people who think you have to be married to have a child.

I'm envious of people who are my age and have "everything". My DF and I dont have everything. My car is 4 and a half years old, DF's car is almost 18 months old. That is "all" we have.

JadedNan

DD1 - 17

DD2 - 19

DD3 - 20

DGD1 - 37

DGS1 - 37

DGS2 - 39

DGGS - 57

hermeandsoon2b

JadedNan...Aw Muh Gawd!

I have been comparatively non-productive :)

adnama

I was 19 1/2 when i had DD, and I had DS 2 days before my 23rd birthday

Guest Two Blue

Married at 19.

DS1 - 21

DS2 - 23

Edited by Two Blue

~cackleberry~

Married at 19.

DS1 - 21

DS2 - 24

DS3 - 26

DD1 - 33

And no, i've never been asked any of those questions. None of anyone's business.

Edited by ~kazdee~

Hermes

I was 16 when Haylie was born, im not with her father (havent been since she was a baby), im not married to my partner, dont own my home and im not studying anymore (postponing as we need money to pay rent more than i need a degree in history). I more or less expect people to judge me when they find out i was a teen mum but it doesnt bother me like it used to. I know that im a good mum and we are raising Haylie the best we can. I didnt always have that confidence in myself.

Just wanted to add, in terms of the questions you asked OP. I havent met many people rude enough to ask, although im sure they wondered.

Edited by Hermes

snowcandy

Great topic!

I'm 36 and I got married a couple of months ago, and found I am now 6 weeks p/g - first time for both.

Over the years when I've been single I've had to field a lot of questions along the lines of

"when are you going to find yourself a husband?"

"do you think you'll have kids?"

"you're getting on a bit aren't you?"

etc

So....I can appreciate from reading the other replies that there are ALOT of busybodies....no matter what age you are when you decided to get married or have kids.

I truly believe each of us has our own unique life path that is right for us - these significant life events happen when they are meant to - and how wonderful to experience marriage and kids, no matter what age.

Best of luck to all!!!!

mcebby

I fell pregnant with my first just before my 17th birthday. My second I gave birth 3 months before I turned 21 and my 3rd I was 23.

~dam'sgirl~

Had my first at 20 had my 2nd at 23 and my third and fourth at 24.

Marvel

Got married at 20.

Had DS1 3 months before I turned 21

Had DS2 1 month after I turned 22

I will be 25 when DS3 is born.

Yes, same father. Yes, full time job, he works full time, we have a house (and the accompanying mortgage).

Haven't had any snide remarks or comments or questions though. Whenever anyone has asked me about this pregnancy and I tell them I'm expecting #3, the majority of people say that it is refreshing to see someone young AND responsible, and I am absolutely doing the right thing having children young. More energy to look after them, enjoy them, and enjoy myself when I am a young empty nester (hopefully)

I never really cared though, because I knew that DH and I alone were responsible for our children and our decisions, and nothing anyone can say will make me think I have done things the 'wrong way round'

:)

**Amber**

I had my first DD the day after i turned 20 and my DS when i was 21.

No I am not with there father anymore. Seperated earlier this year after being together since we were 16

No I dont own my own home

Yes I am studying by correspondance to become an accountant

Yes I am a great mum despite being young, and my kids are happy and healthy and are very very much loved!