Sign in to follow this  
artnsoul76

'Recovery shorts' - has anyone tried them? WDYT?

artnsoul76

Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone had heard of or tried Recovery shorts: http://www.recoveryshorts.com.au/

They are supposed to help with muscle recovery after birth around the tummy, support/and help your muscles go back into place. I've heard some really good things about them. I had 4 fingers of abdominal separation with the first preg and it took sooo long to get my strength back, I'm hoping i wont have to go through that this time. I did pilates, and heaps of exercise. I'm happy to put the work in again this time but it would be great if something could help me along IYKWIM. They are very expensive though and i'm not willing to invest that amount of money unless i know they work really well from someone who's used them and was happy. Anyone tried them? what did you think?

Guest Dinah_Harris

Hi there,

I bought the recovery shorts. I also had an abdominal separation with several transverse abdominal weakness. So my problem took more than a pair of shorts to fix!

They made me feel more supported, that's for sure.

The only problem is that I had DD in November, in QLD, and I just found the heat to be too much. The last thing you want to wear in 30+ degrees is tight lycra!

I would recommend them.

**ruth**

Hi,

I have some. I got them a few weeks after my c-section but wish I had found them earlier. I got them mainly as i had a slow recovery and then I rolled my ankle, falling and slightly tearing the scar tissue.

I totally agree that they make you feel supported. I went from holding a hand on the area when I did things to not feeling the need to.

The only thing is they are very tight and take some time to get on and off.

artnsoul76

Did they help with the muscle recovery of your stomach, and help things go back into place quicker? I will be having a CS and have a 3 year old DD, so anything that helps me get back some mobility/recovery will be great! I'm having the new baby in july, and it will be melb winter so hopefully they wont get too hot. Did you find your overall recovery time faster?

**ruth**

This is my first bub so I have nothing to compare but I did have 3cm seperation. It is now only 1/2 but I couldn't say if that was from wearing the shorts or not.

I think that it does help with mobility as they make you feel very well supported, making it more comfortable to move.

I agree they are pricey but felt the money was worth it if it made me feel better. Plus we plan to have more children in the future so I would use them again.

Not sure if the helps?

melaniejasmin

What is the difference between these and 'suck-you-in' shorts that you get from Kmart etc in the underwear dept? apart from the price? the suck-you-in ones also have support for tummy and bottom...

just wondering.

readyfor2

I go them for the recent birth of my DD2 and would reccommend them but they don't fix everything! I would agree they help you feel more supported and help your tummy go down faster (I had a lot of ocmments about how I lost my belly fast, when I was wearing them) but I still have a jelly belly that only hard work at the gym and good eating will get rid of.

I started to wear them a few hours a day from 48 hours after birth and by the time DD2 was a week old I was wearing them for 8 hours a day. I did this for the first 6 weeks but after that I didhn't feel they did much.

It was nice to get compliments about my body so close to the birth which made me feel good and I think they may have helped me fit back inot some of my (bigger) old clothes a little faster.

Good luck!

Nowfor4

Hi,

I got a pair about a week and a half ago. Love love love them! I am in Melbourne, and I don't find them hot at all. This is my 3rd child and I didn't have muscle seperation witht he other two but I do this time. I find that when I don't wear them my muscles ache when I bend over, def support them. Also as I am not bfing my stomach wasn't going down at all, it has gone down by half in 10 days, so very pleased.

They are different to the suck you in ones as they are more like the Skins material, and I find the suck you in ones quite restricitve, whereas these aren't, just supportive in the areas you need.

I want to go back to running, and think that these will def help me do that in 10 weeks time!

So, yes, well worth the investment.

Good luck, you won't regret it, plus, I have seen them selling second hand on ebay for $150, so $50 for 12 weeks wear isn't too bad in my opinion!

Chillax

I'm not sure i'd fork out $189 for a pair. After i had DS i just wore some control underwear i'd bought at myer for $30. thyey were specially designed to suck my tummy in and they worked a treat after having a baby!!!

This looks like a bit of a rort to me.

Colleen04

I'm a physiotherapist and recently had my first baby (8 weeks ago).

I used 'control' pants from target - the ones with a full cylinder around your tummy. I think these were great to help support the weakened muscles.

However, the ONLY way to truly help your tummy separation come back together is to get the deep layer of your abdominal wall reactivated. You can be assured that directly post-birth this muscles will not be working.

Because it is your own "built in" corset, if you can learn to re-activate it, it literally helps pull the separated muscles (that sit on top) back together.

Find a good women's health physio in your area to teach you how to co-ordinate your breathing, pelvic floor and deep tummy muscle. Then start practicing 24 hours after your baby is born. Doing some light stretches and improving your posture post-birth (now that you no longer have and extra 10kg+ hanging off your spine/pelvis) are also imperative to getting your core muscles working again.

So in Summary: Go for the supportive undies... but don't expect miracles. Seek out some expert guidance to ensure the best healing for your tummy muscles.