Jo

OUA (Curtin Uni) Bachelor of Education (Primary) - Semester 1 - 2010

~Dee~

Hi Jo, Happy 2010.

I guess it doesn't matter too much! But our degree is not broken down into semesters per the calendar year. Study period 4 (last thread) is still going until 22 February...After that Study period 1 will start straight away on 1st March- etc etc

Thanks Dee

Nik78

Oooh new thread for a new year!

Happy new year everyone.

Gee it has been quiet in here, where is everyone??

We went to a bbq last night down the road at the park but the wind came up and because we lived the closest to the park everybody came back to our place! and i mean everyone, we had 16 adults and 22 children, i cant believe my house is still in one piece!!

How is everyone going with study? I havent done a thing this week. I have two days to do a whole weeks work, i dont know how im going to do it. Im struggling with this unit. Im not enjoying it at all. My group is really quiet, no one really asks questions and i have so many questions but worry that they are stupid questions. Im hoping someone else asks them!!

anyway, hope you all had a great new year!!

Donna

Lime

Hi again everyone

Gosh, I didnt think I'd struggle with this so much, my brain is having trouble switching on after not studying for many years. I'm doing 128, and am unfortunately behind as my textbook was delayed (by four weeks! I ordered late, it went out of stock and then the shop lost it :( ) .

Anyway, question for anyone doing or who has done 128... In Wk 4, Cognitive Learning, I'm struggling with the weekly journal topic. "Think about this topic. How does it link to the learning process for you?".

I find this such a broad, huge question. I have no idea where to start, my mind literally goes blank! I have spent several days making attempts to answer this but I am getting no where.

Am I making this harder than it really is?!

I would greatly appreciate even a tiny little bit of guidance!

Edited by Lime

sanjasem

Hi All

Donna - What unit are you doing? I've done 133, 136, 128 and 130. I'm doing 137 at present and finding it really hard to stay motivated. Ask questions here, most people usually are able to help. Or PM me questions if it's one of these units.

Lime - Week 4 , 128 is basically asking how do you learn? Visually, drill and practice by memorisation for example.

Sandra

~Dee~

Hi Lime, for week 4 I discussed more about how I store and organise information to memory. ie: visually, chunking the information etc. The week focuses on that quite a bit so thats the tact I took.

Not sure if thats right or wrong though????

Lime

Dee and Sandra, thank you so much for your replies. Both make sense and that was the track I was starting to take. I am really overwhelmed, I hope my brain starts kicking in to gear soon!

Donna, I also feel like my group doesn't really ask questions, or if they do, they have already been answered.

j-o-d-i-e

hi :waves:

im jodie :D

have been wanting to start the process of study to become a primary school teacher (been wanting to do this for yrs, now is the time to get the ball rolling).

but i really have no idea where to start

i have an almost 2 yr old and one due in feb so was thinking of starting the study mid yr but want to do it from home as the uni's are a bit far away

so a few questions

*if you are doing this by correspondence, which uni do you go through

*do you have access to help, sometimes i just need to talk a question out to someone.

*you can start mid yr right?

*is there someone i can talk to about what modules to take and how much i should take on??

help :whistle::D

thank you :D

mum2marky

Hi Jodie and Welcome

*if you are doing this by correspondence, which uni do you go through - We are doing it through Open Universities Australia with the course run through Curtin Uni (WA)

*do you have access to help, sometimes i just need to talk a question out to someone. - There are discussion boards and access to tutors and other students. It is a bit hit and miss with the tutor help, but the other students are great (and here of course)

*you can start mid yr right? You can start at 4 different times throughout the year

*is there someone i can talk to about what modules to take and how much i should take on?? You can talk to the Open Uni Advisors (OUA) https://www.open.edu.au/wps/portal/oua/home...obal/contact-us

Hope that helps a bit,

Dani

mum2marky

Hi Girls,

I am here - been extremely busy with home stuff (hubby had wrist, surgery, my Dad had spinal surgery and lives alone so been helping round there lots, Mark has had his 7th birthday on NYE, AND got acute tonsillitis the same day!, my sister was home for the xmas break from China, and just the usual insanity of this time of year).

Study wise I am going ok. Got ok marks for my first assessments (3/4 and 3/4 for 128 journals - lost marks for using 1st person although on the discussion board our tutor had said it was ok for journals and I wasn't the only one caught out so happy with those results, and 13.5/20 for 137). I am happy with them considering it is my first time studying in 15years.

Just a quick question - Does anyone know if it is possible to cut and paste a table into Etherpad? I tried importing with no success, constant errors.

Group assignment for 128 is on track finally, now everyone has finally started to chat.

Hope you are all going well,

Dani

j-o-d-i-e

Thanks for your replies Dani....hope the family recovers quickly from the surgery. Well done on your marks :D

i did have a look on the OUA website and i think i might ring and have a chat with the student advisors just to aska few more questions..

**another question though hope not to personal...but how did you guys pay for it??? i seen on the website they have FEE-HELP did you use this??

also if you are entering via doing the 2 open enrolment units did you have to pay for that out of your pocket and then once accepted into the bach course you then used the FEE-HELP????

sorry hope thats not to personal asking about finances, just wanna get some idea of what ppl do and what to expect. thank you :D

sanjasem

Hi j-o-d-i-e

I've paid all my units using FEE-HELP, including the open units to enter the course. Just check if you qualify. All the information is available on the Open uni website.

~Dee~

Fee help is like the old HECS system. Gets deducted from your wages after a certain salary (which I can't recall what is is $40, 000 )???? You can pay into yourself also.

Dani, I think someone else had the the same 1st person problems with their 128 journal. I got 8/8 and wrote in 1st person, so maybe it just depend son the tutor?

I got my Maths mark back 7/10 - really wanred 8/10 but a made a studpid error with my reference list and lost the marks there -- anyhoo, I'll pay super duper attention next time!

Hope all are well...

excuse my typing above - I'm in a hurry.. tootles!

jrt3

Hi all,

I will be doing 120 and 135 in SP1. Can I ask did you get your text books thru UNIBOOKS and should I be ordering now or can they change closer to the SP start date?

Thanks

JRT

LottieCait

Hi girls,

Wow! What a busy time of year to be studying! I can't wait until DH goes back to work and my life returns to normal ;)

Dani Not sure about the etherpad. I had a quick go but I couldn't work it out either.

jrt3 I would order your books as soon as you can. I'll be ordering mine for SP1 next week (through Unibooks).

Dee Well done on the maths marks!

Jodie I've used FEE-HELP to pay for all of my units so far. There is no way I could afford it otherwise!

I really should get off EB and do some work. DH has taken the girls to his parents house for a couple of days so I can get stuck into my assignments but I am procrastinating as usual! :lol:

Mel

Nik78

Just wanted to say thanks to Sandra for the help!!

Dee - Great marks, you should be really proud of yourself. 7/10 is pretty good.

How is everyone going? Im getting there slowly. I just cant seem to get out of holiday mode at the moment, I just want life to get back to normal!!

Nik78

Hellooooooooooooo, is there anybody out there.....................................

Geez, its nearly been a whole 24 hours since i posted and.......... no one!!

Oh so lonely!

I hope you are all studying hard.

Donna

~Dee~

Hi Donna, :wave:

I'm going away for a few days -- so happy studying all :D

Dee.

bron23

can anyone help out with 130 assignment 2 im really not getting it I dont know why but I just am not clicking.... :( brain on holidays

carita82

Hey Bron23,

Just saw your post, I have been working on this too.. send me a pm if you want and maybe 2 heads are better than 1 :) I am finding it ok at the moment, but i have only just started.

Carly

Edited by carita82

drivingmecrazy

jrt3 - I will be doing 120 and 135 in SP1 too!

Hi everyone - looking forward to getting to know you all.

I told a few people yesterday that I had enrolled to start studying and got a quite few negative comments about finding work afterwards. It got me a little worried at the time, but feel better about it this morning and after talking to someone with positive comments.

asiam

Hi everyone,

I just have no idea about Task 4 of EDP137 Asst 1A. I am so confused by it - how the table should look, whether the info should be in the table or not, what to write in the 400words...

sanjasem

Hi Asiam

For EDP137 task 4- just fill in the questions at the top of the table then add the Topics of Function, Tenor, Field and Mode. Briefly in the table make notes for these topics then in 400 words write in more detail under the table explaining these in relation to the conversation.

Hope this helps.

I was struggling too but my tutor is wonderful and answers every question. just keep asking your group questions.

Sandra

asiam

Thanks Sandra! :)

I wish we had an example of what we are meant to do. I would ask questions but I don't even have specific questions, so much as just being unclear about how to go about it. Guess I will just have to do what I think and hope for the best. There was an announcement just recently about having two tables - one for the questions, one for function, field, tenor and mode, and sounded to me like the 400 words (though it said 500 in the announcement) included the table - or even should be primarily comprised of the table.

Perhaps I misinterpreted it.

carita82

Hi everyone,hope you all had a great Christmas and new year!

How is everyone going? I am liking this unit (130) so far... love the change from writing essays and the like. I am starting to work on Assignment 2 and week 6 task atm. Downloaded the Smart Notebook software yesterday and it took sooo long to download and install.

Q for those who have completed this unit- Does the Smart notebook software always stay "on" the screen? (the tabs on the side etc) Or is there a way of "closing" it? Hope I'm making sense!

Trying to decide which units do do next sp, most likely 120 and 135. Has anyone completed 135 yet? What was it like in terms of workload etc? Not sure if I will do one or two units yet.

Hope everyone is enjoying their study,

Carly

EDP128 ~ Learning, Teaching and Assessment

- mcnmummyof2

- mum2marky (Dani)

- Janas (Sonia)

- oldermumof5 (Megan)

- mummyof4

- Lime

- Robba

- Dee

EDP130 ~ Technologies for Learning