Sign in to follow this  
Leghorn

Tips for getting started in home business

Leghorn

Hi there,

Just wondering if anyone would like to share any general advice for getting started with an online business?

I thought I'd start out selling on ebay and with a simple blog site with more info and I'd love to hear your advice :)

Also, some more specific questions...

Does anyone know any good places to buy labels for products? Ie small quantities at reasonable prices?

For those who use ebay, when did you start using the store function? It's obviously more expensive but has extra features, but I'm thinking I'd wait to see whether I'm selling anything first! WDYT?

Jembo

Starting with ebay, blogs and markets is a good way to get into it, as it is inexpensive and will help you to develop a feel for what works and what doesn't.

I would still say really do a lot of research, there are so many online businesses out there, particularly in baby and kids, so you have a lot to compete with. Whilst online gives us access to potential people, you still have to get them to your site/store and make sure they keep coming back and refer. If you have something a bit different from the norm, you are more likely to succeed.

I have not done the ebay store thing before, but maybe as an initial starting point to get a feel for your market you could just do general selling and see how it goes, then if you find it is working how you want upgrade to a store and then go from there.

Markets are handy as you get customer contact and you can guage reactions to your products.

Really, you won't know until you give it a go :)

HTH

**BOOM**

Hi,

great to read that you are wanting to start a small business from home.

Probably my first thing would e don't expect to make huge profits & earning income straightaway. You might in your business but I have read so many times where people star a business & expect the $$$ to walk in without too much work. It has taken me three years to start to earn $$$ from the business for myself.

eBay is a great place to start. I have been selling on wbay for years with an eBay store. It has only been the last 6 mtgs that I have branched out with my own website and selling at weekend markets, school fetes & community fetes.

Have looked for other sellers who might be selling your product on eBay? If so, based on their feedback how has their sales been like? How much are they selling their product for? What can you offer over your competitors on eBay so buyers by from you & not them?

If you have a lot of different stock or sizes, I would recommend an eBay store. A store looks neat & easy for your potential buyer to navigate around your stock & the inventory records, sales reports, etc are great way to track how your business is going.

As mentioned above, have now established an ecommerce website where buyers can buy from. I was constantly being asked whether I had a website & I personally didn't find it very professional to diect people to eBay. Also, I want them all to myself, if they go to eBay my competitors are there :)

If you have high monthly sales on eBay, the fees can be a lot especially with high paypal fees. That is another reason for setting up a website, I can't avoid paypal fees but can save on eBay fees.

I found doing the markets & fetes/fairs fantastic & will continue to do so. It has given me th opportunity to talk with buyers & find out what they think of the products & for them to meet me too. I have had a number of people referred on to me by people I have met at these events & sone have bought from me again already.

Also, last thing - If you ate going to go down the flyers, business card route, get a logo or design done from a professional & have your material printed professionally. First impressions are extremely important IMO. It will cost $$ but again worth it.

Sorry I've gone on too long.

Good luck!!!

Edited by sophie-emily

**BOOM**

Sorry for my grammar & spelling mistakes, am typing from my phone and finding it hard to go back & edit. Not usually this bad. :)

ETA: the forum at flyingsolo is very helpful. They have a section about starting a business & a lot if experienced people on the forum.

Edited by sophie-emily

Leghorn

Thanks for the helpful advice so far :)

I'm now thinking that I may sell my products wholesale. Please feel free to offer any additional advice you may have :) Not sure how hard it will be to get stockists on board, but I guess you don't know unless you try!

**BOOM**

Definitely give it a go, you'll never know until you try.

You should also have a look on the internet for online stores/websites that sell to your target market & approach them, not just retail stores.

:)

Leghorn