Sandra

September 05 Parents # 387

butterflies

BOO!!!

have just put the tree up now off for a drive to find xmas lights!!

bellemae

Hiya all!!

Ahhh, so nice to be having a break....Spent all day yesterday out by the beach with the kids...today, we put up the tree and put Christmas decorations around the house - twas lovely!!! :D

mhjemma

Hello :D

I am exhausted after a weekend at the in-laws. It took 4 1/2 hours to get there on Friday (normally a 3 hour trip) as we left a little late and got stuck in the usual M1 crawl.

Had Dh's cousin's 21st on Saturday and OMG! I have found my dream home! imagine if you will, a house set on top of a hill, boardwalks all around, large windows with amazing views (including a huge weir wall) and the most amazing part.... a pool that has a drop off (ie. no apparent edge)....looking straight over a valley and across to a hill with beautiful rock formations and full of trees. It looks and feels like a country resort!!

Caius has always been incredibly cautious of water (thankfully), but he had a great time in the pool, even playing 'Humpty Dumpty' and 'Crocodile' (still didn't get his head wet though.)

It was a great weekend, but I realise why we hardly ever go down to the in-laws. It takes too much energy! I don't want to go to work tomorrow!!

Thank you for your replies about ADHD and medication. It was an interesting week last week. I had always been in the non-medicating camp, simply due to complete ignorance! The child in the grade I was teaching is definitely ADHD but his parents are in denial as far as I can tell. Poor kid is nearly 2 years behind academically, and struggles on a daily basis with the social aspect of school. Not only is it impacting on his learning, but he is disrupting the learning of the whole class, and undermining some serious social and self-esteem issues with some of the other students. I feel that this child is going to have a difficult life if he isn't given the opportunity to learn and manage his anger, make friends etc. I know that if it was Caius, I would be all for medication to help him learn, and allow his peers to learn. Most importantly, to allow him to develop social skills and ways to manage extreme emotions.

Karina - I think you had the best response of medicating for school but not over weekends or holidays (don't know if it works like that, but it's a great idea).

Diet - I really don't think it would help with this particular child, but may help for others?

Belle - Congrats on finishing uni for the year. Can't wait to hear your results (i bet they are all high)

Xmas - (Should I be saying 'Christmas' since I am working at a Catholic school? :tongue: ) We are setting everything up next weekend ..... although I may get impatient and do it Wednesday on my day off. I can't wait to start seeing the houses in the area all lit up :D

mhjemma

C'mon guys! I spend all night trying to get in here and when I finally do................ there's nothing new to read!!!!

FB is fun, but not as good as chat s in here :(

Get on it girls, I am flat out for the next 2 weeks and need you all to give me some time out and reconnection time!!!!

~*Sharon*~

I would post, Mardi, but I keep getting in trouble if I do. lol.

Kay1

I'm here - but even I don't check in that often because its been so dead lately. And now the kids are gettting restless....

bellemae

now it's all up and running I'll try to post again :) ....I always get so frustrated when I lose big long posts I find it hard to come back on and repeat myself!

Mardi That house sounds superb!! Glad you had a lovely weekend :)

Us.....Kai is now completely enrolled *eek* He's very excited by the whole thing. We were thinking we'd leave the final decision until early next year as we'd already booked him back into preschool for next year, but the pre-school director seemed a little annoyed by the idea of us wanting to hold the place and having him enrolled at school...doesn't really matter, I'd be quite surprised if he suddenly didn't want to go next year. So looks like it's happening!!

Off to surf some online catalogs and do some virtual xmas shopping :)

Kay1

Ooh how exciting Belle!!

mhjemma

........tried to post something intelligent and interesting but lost the plot, pressed the wrong button..... away it all went intothe neverland that is the internet!!!!!!

Yay for Kai Belle :D

I have spent all day writing up my portfolio for full teaching registration, nearly done.....It is a complete crock of sh*t and a waste of time, but has to be done........ Feel like I am back at uni...ARGHHHHHHH!!!

Enough dribble, I am off to bed.

Hope all are well and happy xoxoxoxoxo

mhjemma

Ummmmm....... me again!

Well, I have finished my stupid VIT registration portfolio - only 80 pages !!! Eeeeeek! It's all printed, just have to get it bound and deliver to the principal now. Then on Tuesday I will have the joy of being grilled about everything in it. After which, I should be a fully registered teacher!!

Caius is finally get his immunisations done on Friday (after threatening letters from FTO about stopping his CCB! OUCH! But, he is developing a really nasty cough. Fingers crossed it goes away and he can get those pesky needles done with.

We also have his child care Christmas party on Friday night. Not impressed about the lack of notice. I hate those types of things but since Caius and his friends have been practising a song to perform (and Santa is bringing a present for him) I feel obligated to go along. Now to work out what I can take for a 'plate'. Gosh I'm lazy!!

House looks like a bomb has hit it and I can't do a thing about it until the weekend. Looks like take-away for dinner tomorrow night. I don't think there is one clean dish, glass or pot in the house!!!

Hope everyone is well and happy :D Come and chat for crying out loud! I am talking to myself here!!!!! LOL

Better head to bed. Nighty night xoxoxo

butterflies

Mardi take chocolate crackles or just cut up a watermelon!!

Kay1

Mardi - Glad to hear you're almost all official!! I also have to take a plate to Nate's preschool christmas party tomorrow, not sure what yet.

Am listening to a wall in our garden being demolished. The guy next door came over last night and showed it to me, it was on the verge of falling down (into our garden), we hadn't realised because its covered with bushes on our side. He wants to put a new fence there so I said sure, no probs, waiting for him to ask us to pay half but he didn't so I'm keeping a low profile LOL.

Well thank the lord its Thursday and preschool day - gosh I can't wait till its more spread out next year!! I have had enough of having both kids every day by wednesday night. Nate is pretty full on unless he's watching tv or playing computer and Leo just whinges NON STOP and wants me to hold him every minute of the day.

I'm going out tonight for a friend's birthday which will be lovely but of course DH forgot about it despite me putting it in his diary months ago so now his mum has to come and babysit for an hour while he does a conference call from home - it shouldn't bother me because he sorted it out but I hate that MIL has to drive almost an hour here just for that. Plus I know I'll end up being late because she can't manage to get both kids into bed on her own. Also she can't drive in the dark so I don't know if she'll stay over or what. Oh well - I suppose I shouldn't let it worry me since its not my fault!

Better go and get this boy off to preschool.

~~Lynny~~
:waves: back later to catch up sorry

~crackajac~

hi everyone

Belle- a huge congrats on Kai being enrolled in school. It sounds like he will love it.

Mardi- Yay on finishing your first year teaching and your VIT portfolio.

I am so cranky at the moment. I can't start the lawn mower and it really needs to be done I can't even tell you the last time it was done and it looks hideous. I don't want the kids out the back and it is embarrassing out the front. DH is never home to do it and he decided (of course in his infinite wisdom) that he would buy all this fantastic gardening stuff (mower, hedger, whipper snipper etc etc) instead of getting a gardener but doesn't ever do it and is never home.

I am sick of feeling sick and I want a gardener and cleaner.

Sorry whinge whinge whinge...

mummy_to_b

Mardi. Congratulations on finishing your VIT. How did Cai's Christmas party go? I have Brocks on Monday night. It doesn't start until 6pm and his room's santa visit won't be until around 8pm I think it's a little long for them. On Tuesday we have another Christmas party with daycare. His class go and visit a nursing home on Tuesdays and it is their Christmas get together there.

Thank you for asking how I am. I have good days and bad days. Every week it runs through my head that I would be such and such a week pregnant. Brock asked me the other day where our babies are? It's just so hard to explain to him. How are you going?

Jac. I hear you about the lawn. My DH is never home to do them either and I end up getting out there and doing it all. Drives me nuts he keeps saying "oh you shouldn't have done it. I would have done it" the thing is he never does. It's like the Christmas lights. I get the feeling I will be getting up on the ladder to put them outside.

Us. Well Brock had his needles yesterday. Let me just say that is something that I am in no rush to do again. He screamed his little heart out. He kept saying "mummy get me outta here I'm so scared" I lost it in the end and ended up crying with him. He has got a horrible rash over him now. All over his tummy and his face. He seems a little quiet today, which I have to say I like.

As I said to Mardi. I'm having good days and bad days. I have had a few people tell me that I should be over it by now. How can anyone say that? No one seems to want to mention the baby to me and it makes me feel guilty if I mention it.

Anyway enough of me rambling and feeling sorry for myself. I best go and start my baking for the day. I'm making home made things for the teachers at daycare. Chocolates, shortbread and white christmas.

Love to you all.

Leanne

Titania

So sorry I've been AWOL for a while now...

Been a lot happening here. OUr 16 year old cat has been very ill and in the vet hospital most of the week... so that's been very stressful (she's my first baby - had her 15 years, and brought her from UK with us).. Fortunately she seems somewhat improved - though on meds - she is home with us. So hope she'll pull through for a while longer.

Secondly been working madly on my business - and the website shop is now up - blog coming - www.hippyhippyshakes.com.au

And I also have a fair few writing contracts happening at the same time. It's been mental. But good. But the house is a total tip.

Griff is also now in speech therapy. I think it's a bit unnecessary - he has around a 100 words - but he does do this strange grunt/deep breath that the therapist is a little concerned about.

He's starting Family Day Care - mid jan 30 seconds from our house, two days a week - and he's going to love it - was totally hysterical when we left her place. So it's great - I'll be able to work those two days.

So I have just had not time for anything... so I'm sorry this is all about us. lol

Mardi - pm me if you need any help with ADHD kids - I missed the gist - but I have worked with two close hand - the last one for 18 months daily and he was a great, very bright kid - but wow.. out of control and very aggressive. It was me that pushed for the diagnosis - but in the end the parents chose ritolin and really - I don't believe it was the right choice for the exceedingly bright kid... PM if you wanna talk about it.

Belle - well done - you've already done brilliantly. :) I can't imagine Lorcan going to big school next year - so Kai must really be something else LOL :)

Jac - that's just hell - if you can afford it - I reckon you should get the gardener and cleaner (or at least a monthly mow and garden tidy) - and sell the equipment - DH is being silly about it - he has no time...

That's it from me - sorry. hugs to everyone.

BronR

Hi all

Lots of congratulations in order.

T. Congrats on the business. I visited your website and felt very proud to know you.

Belle. Congrats again on Kai getting accepted into school for next year. Like T I also could not imagine Rory going next year either.

Mardi. Congrats to you too on finishing your first year teaching.

Jac. I so feel for you with DH being so busy. My DH doesn't nearly work the hours but is away or woring nights (concerts) reasonably regularly and I hate it.

But that brings me to the crossroads in our lives that is happening tomorrow. Some of you may remember I sing in a choir (www.innominata.org ;) ) and we have a concert tomorrow afternoon - DH's last as our Musical Director. I am really glad he is giving it up as he has no time for us because of it, but I am also so sad (teary just writing about it) that we won't being doing this together anymore (I will continue singing in the choir under the new director). We met in choir, choir sang at our wedding (naturally), my waters broke to send me into labour with Rory at rehearsal ( :o ) and most of our friends are there so it is an enormous part of our lives and now it will just be part of my life. I hadn't realized how sad this would make me until this week. I was really keen for him to give it up :( . I know he is going to miss it terribly too and it is his (and mine) only hobby really so he is going to feel a bit lost. Perhaps in a year or so he might just come back as a chorister but perhaps not and certainly not straight away.

We had the kids Child care Christmas concert/santa visit yesterday afternoon too. Abi was super cute and confident as ever, sang (well you know what I mean, the mouth was moving at the right time and she was doing the actions) all the songs her class did (all under 2 1/2 yo's). I was amazed as until yesterday Rory was yet to actually "perform" at one. Abi also had no problem walking by herself up to Santa to get her present. This is quite a big deal at her Centre as it is a huge Centre (100 children per day so probably 130 or so when part timers are factored in) so all those kids with parents/grandparents etc - a big audience. She's so not bothered. Finally this year Rory also got into it and performed well with his class. He looked a little overwhelmed at the beginning (sat on the step singing rather than standing up) but he warmed up and by the 2nd song was standing up and joining in properly. He's a funny boy. Super confident with some things but even today at home he asked me to leave the room so he could sing and play his drum along with a new DVD Mum bought him. He is very shy about performing but really musical when he's just in his own world IYKWIM.

What else....bed time for me I think.

mhjemma

Emotionally and physically exhausted! The last 36 hours have been full on!!!!

Update for those of you not on FaceBook (is there anyone not on?):

My dog managed to escape sometime yesterday. I didn't find out until I got home, quickly ran around the neighbours to see if they saw him.....They did.....IN the shopping centre about 3 hours earlier!

Rang the centre, yes he was there but escaped before the security could get close enough to grab him.

I looked with Caius for an hour, then DH and my mum went (seperately) for miles around.. nothing

I was a mess, Caius was ok (didn't really get the idea of 'lost') DH was very quiet. Hardly slept last night. Got up today, went to work and cried a bit but managed to hold it together...

Phone rang at 12:15pm.... it was the lost dogs home (thank God for microchips!). They had him :) I finished work early and picked him up. He is home :D

Poor Jack has slept since he got home apart from when I made him take a bath, and to have a quick bite to eat and a big drink. Hardest 24 hours of my life between 3-3

GOOD NEWS: I am now officially a fully registered teacher :dance: and I got a glowing report from the principal :D

Lee: Thinking of you often. I don't know if it will be the same for you, but I found that things got a little easier after my dreaded due date. Still hurts at times, but I am no longer counting the days/weeks/months. Take the time you need to grieve and when things feel at their darkest, hold on to knowing that it will get easier, even if only slowly :hugs:

Bron: That is really sad about your DH leaving the choir. Glad to hear that you will keep it up, even if it won't be the same. Well done to Abi and Rory both performing this year. Caius just wanted to play outside which we were quite ok with. I am sure he'll have plenty of time to build up the confidence to one day perform something, somwhere. Oh, and Caius is the same about playing music or dancing.... we have to leave the room LOL

Tits: Hope your dear cat is doing ok at home now xoxo

Jac: I dream of having a cleaner........actually, I dream of having a dishwasher! The rest I might cope with if I didn't have to do the bloody dishes every night...Oops, that's a lie. I only really do them about every second night (sometimes longer!!!) Hope you are feeling better every day xoxoxoxo

(Are you still coming to Melbourne? If so, when?)

Ok, my body and brain are mush. Time to go and be mindless....think I'll play Bejewelled Blitz....or Mahjong....or Sudoku.....gotta love those FB games.

Love to you all, and thanks for all of the messages of support during the great lost dog debarcle xoxoxoxoxo

~~Lynny~~

Quiet in here! :fear:

Nothing new to report on my side - just oober tired :wacko:

Got the kids Christmas party at childcare tonight - spose to bring 'dinner' with us so we can have a picnic but it's a bit late so we might eat before and take some snacks.

Really busy with work atm - so busy that DH wants Damian to go in to childcare for a third day next year :thumbs: He loves it though and gets bored at home because I can't entertain him 24/7. They are also prepping them for school next year so an extra day a week will do him good :)

Anywho.. better go and be productive!

Hope you're all keeping well - will try and catch up after the weekend sometime..

:waves: and :wub: you all!

Edited by ~~Lynny~~

Kay1

Hi everyone, just a quick one. DH is home for a few days so we are off to gymbaroo with Leo in a bit. My physio told me off for doing it with him so DH is going to do it today :wub: .

Lynny I think Nate will increase to 3 days half way through next year for the same reason. Think it will be a bit of a shocker going from 2 to 5 days.

Well Nate got a good report - progress being made in all the 'problem' areas so that's good. Also the therapist at the centre where he's having social therapy made some reassuring comments after his first session last week. Basically she didn't see any big flags for ASD and thinks he's just a perfectionist and a control freak LOL - I agree! He needs to learn to talk to the other kids though and not just the teachers. He loves to talk to adults and will go up to any adult anywhere and chat but finds it harder with kids his own age. I also mentioned his reading to his teacher yesterday and she had no idea....not sure if there just aren't opportunities there for him to demonstrate it or if he's deliberately hiding it :shrug: - not that I want them to do much about it, just that it provides a good way to distract and engage him when necessary.

Ok, got to run....

Lili-Belle

Hi everyone,

I know. Long time no speak! (Well at least on EB anyway!!)

Well life has been pretty crap lately. 3 weeks ago my mum was diagnosed with stage 3 ovarian cancer. She is 66 & seemingly well up until only about 3 weeks prior.

The first sign was persistant diarrhea (which the dr first treated with antibiotics & an antacid (sp?). Then only more recently mum & dad noticed she's put on weight & her belly was swollen. She is a large woman so it maybe wasn't as noticeable to start with. But it felt tight & mum said she felt like she was pregnant.

Turns out that was fluid on her stomach. Also known as ascites. A symptom of many different medical conditions but also a symptom of stage 3 ovarian cancer. It's amazing what you learn when something like this happens to someone you love.

Anyway the ran blood tests & did an ultrasound & found a mass on the left ovary. Mum & dad have been told it's inoperable & all they can do is give her chemo to slow the growth & spread & give her better quality of life. She started Chemo on the 28th November & she will have another dose on 21st December. After that she will have a CT scan to see if the chemo has had any affect & see exactly how bad things are. Her specialist, Prof Clingan says it may be operable but he won't know until he sees the results of the scan. He said he knows it is quite advanced based on the levels of CA125 in her blood (an ovarian cancer marker).

Everyone hears about breast cancer & cervical cancer but not much about ovarian cancer. Turns out it is one of the most deadly as it is often left undiagnosed until it is stage 3 or 4. Stage 4 being the highest level. At this point in time there are no early tests for it. Apparently the CA125 can be found in the blood even when you don't have ovarian cancer & so it can give too many false negatives or false positives to be useful.

I have never had any family members develop cancer so this is so scary. I have no idea what to expect or the road I have ahead. I just know it will be hard & scary & sad. :(

Mum is staying positive which is wonderful. She has even suprised dad & he's always thinking doom & gloom. He said he's going to be fine & is preparing for the worst while trying to stay strong & positive for her. Things are also made so much harder by the fact my dad is on oxygen due to poor lung capacity & a hereditary lung disorder. Mum has been dad's primary carer.

And I am their only child.

Life sux sometimes!

I just hope they can operate & get as much of the cancer as possible. I know it's spread to her bloodstream but I just hope she is one of those few that recover for some years. I'm not ready to lose her just yet & neither are her granddaughters!!!

Sorry to burden you all with my sad news.

If anyone wants more information, check out : Cancer Council Ovarian Cancer info

( Dad told me that mum had been told a couple of years ago that she had IBS. Of course I wonder now if this was one of the first signs!)

L x

Edited by Enchantress79

Starbuck

I'm so sorry to hear about your Mum Leesa. I hope that the Chemo works and the Dr can operate. :hugs:

Kay1

Oh my Leesa I am so sorry to hear about your mum's cancer :( . What an awful few weeks this must have been for you. I will be hoping and praying for your mum that the chemo shrinks the tumour and they can operate. Wishing you and your parents lots of strength to get through this and please know I am thinking of you.