Sign in to follow this  
forestfriends

Hire Equipment

forestfriends

Hi Im looking at starting up my own business workign around my family, I am wanting to guage the need for the market however. My idea is to buy brand new/second hand items and then setup a hire system whereby parents can hire equipment from me for either 3, 6 12 months. Can I get some indication from parents who may utilise such a service or if perhaps you have used a service like this yourself. Any help would be appreciated.

Broxie

In theory it's a good idea since you only need baby stuff for such a short period of time, but for safety reasons i think you'd have trouble, and unless it was significantly cheaper than buying new i don't know how well it would go.

forestfriends

Thankyou for your reply, i was thinking things like car seats, high chairs, prams, strollers etc

Broxie

well, speaking for myself, i wouldn't hire a car seat, and i think most people feel pretty strongly about brand new car seats.

The highchair and prams etc i might consider, but like i said, only if it was significantly cheaper than buying new. good luck :)

Cheesy Sanga

I think it's a good idea. You'd have 2 markets: the local people who don't want to buy an item as they only need it for a short time, and the people who come to your area for a holiday and don't bring their items with them. However, there certainly would be the safety concerns, especially with the car seats. Also, there are already companies that provide this service, so make sure that your area does not already have a company (or a company based elsewhere that services your area).

forestfriends

thanks JenChristo

Certainly things to think about I have researched and there are companies that service my area however I was hoping to set up a simple version from home and perhaps link it to my family day care business that i run at th emoment

sarah-m

I think it's an idea that could work. I've wanted a baby capsule for bub number two but hate the look of the safe and sound polo (the typical ones you hire) So I would have contacted you if you hired out the new nice versions.

Also prams with bassinets might be nice for when bubs are little and then mum can just buy a cheaper runabout for when bub is bigger?

I'm struggling to think of things that I would hire instead of just buy as a cot for example you may use for 2 years... thats a long time to hire something. I can't see how you could do it cheaper?? That also goes for high chairs, change tables etc...

the people who come to your area for a holiday and don't bring their items with them
This is more the market I would expect you would get for most things. Are you in a holiday destinaton?

forestfriends

I'm struggling to think of things that I would hire instead of just buy as a cot for example you may use for 2 years... thats a long time to hire something. I can't see how you could do it cheaper?? That also goes for high chairs, change tables etc...

True - i guess there may be more of a market for toy hiring (like the toy librarbies offer)

This is more the market I would expect you would get for most things. Are you in a holiday destinaton?

not particularly but i could offer to all areas with maybe a delivery charge

Edited by forestfriends

0zeKid

I have moved this into MyBusiness where it may get more traffic.

Prizzy

I have a baby equipment hire business OP if you'd like to chat. I'm reasonably new to it all but would be happy to talk to you.

Jembo

I think it would do fine, especially if your target holiday makers and travellers.

Insurance may be a very costly thing for the business. Anything that target under 3 has a myriad of safety issues and tends to be very costly in terms of insurance.

I hired a capsule for DS2 and it was best thing I ever did.

Maybe you could set some things up as a try before you buy type of scenario. For instance with high chairs, the first high chair I ever brought sucked, waste of money, second time around I knew better and got one far easier to clean etc. Had I have tried a few out first I would never have brought it, but I had no idea - the same goes for my first ever pram.