Sign in to follow this  
Guest Zulugirl

Healing

Guest ~starlight~

Dh had a massage the other day, came recommended to us by a friend who has used this guy. He does all sorts, Reiki, cupping, remdial, acupressure, deep tissue, sports injuries etc. Dh said the massage was excellent, and the chap did some healing on Dh's back, and Dh said his hands were like red hot pokers!

I would like to have a massage too, as I always have a sore back, especially lower... but there is something I wonder about, and hope I don't offend, as it is a genuine question..

So this guy does healing, but I know that he is an alcoholic.. My stepmother told me that she doesn't do healing anymore, as she has arthuritis in her hands, and she doesn't believe that one that has a "disease" should do healing, which I can kind of see..

Sounds silly, but do you think there is an issue if a healer is an alcoholic, or indeed if a healer is sick themselves?

I really want to go to this guy for a massage, but that's all I want, not healing.. Would it be offensive to ask for just the massage no healing?

Edited by ~starlight~

Cherubs

To be completely honest I would not knowing recieve healing from anyone who regularly (excessively) imbibed in anything mind altering, whether it be alcohol, dope or other drugs, only being in my experience, a lot of people I know that abuse substance open themselves to attachments, this is my opinion from what I have seen, not 100% fact as I have not met everyone who drinks excessively or take drugs.

However I would recieve healing from your stepmother, as I believe a good healer is one who is healing themselves, and I do not believe that the healers ailments can hurt me, however I wouldn't accept if the healer was run down or very ill, as it would drain them further.

Guest ~starlight~

Thanks Meg, that is what I thought too.. So if I say to him, "massage will be great thanks, but no worries about the healing!" and hopefully he won't be offended, or would it be a bad thing to get a massage from him altogether, just be honest, as I am sooo new to all of this...

And to put it bluntly, at the very start of my spiritual journey a few months back, someone really made me sh*t myself about dark spirits attaching themselves to me, not something I had wanted to hear having had the upbringing I did, and that almost had me running for the hills!

Cherubs

Oh hon they are not dark spirit as in demons just lost souls but they do cause havoc as I have noticed that the people I have known hear them and mistake them for their own thoughts and make dodgy decisions, my husband is a prime example he is a lovely person but when we were first married he had an alcohol and gambling adiction, I didn't know about it until we quite invested in the relationship IE pregnant with our first child, it was like he had two personalities, and the second was awful, he had been a heavy drug user years before I met him ad had been diagnosed as schitzephrenic(sp)which I did know about, anyway long story short I finally saw the man who was attached to him, it took me two weeks but I finally managed to make friends with him and eventually he moved on, DH hasn't gambled since and he cut down his drinking and now doesn't drink at all, there is a lot more to it but that is the basics.

To be truthfully I probably wouldn't as even a massage is an energy exchange, but trust your instincts, and i guess since you have asked is telling you it is not a good idea.

*Jen*

I personally would not allow anyone with any kind of addiction or substance abuse, so alcohol, drugs, painkillers etc etc etc etc, to be doing any healing for me. I like to keep my vibration really high and that could seriously bring it down. Anyone that is putting too much of anything like that into their body would have a very low vibration themselves, and IMO shouldn't be healing.

My stepmother told me that she doesn't do healing anymore, as she has arthuritis in her hands, and she doesn't believe that one that has a "disease" should do healing, which I can kind of see..

Obviously your SM has to do what feels right to her, but (again) i personally believe that she would still be ok to heal. What it comes down to is the healers emotional/spiritual/energetic state being in a good place, rather than the physical, if that makes sense ?

If your an alchoholic then your definitely not in a good place when it comes to any of those three aspects.

Even massage is entering your personal space, your energy field, so maybe put some protection up around you first before you go.

And to put it bluntly, at the very start of my spiritual journey a few months back, someone really made me sh*t myself about dark spirits attaching themselves to me

I prefer to call them lost souls *wink* if you start to think of them that way rather than dark spirits (cause lost is usually what they are first and foremost) it lessons the fear factor.

I really should read replies first and then i could have once again said ditto to Meg :)

Edited by *Jen*

Guest ~starlight~

Thanks Meg and Jen!

Jen, I still have to work on the fear factor just a teeny bit LOL, but learning every day!! Lost souls they are, we have plenty of them on earth too..

Don't think I will be going for a massage with this chap, will have to find someone else...

I did have Reiki done with a friends mum, several times, but never helped my back, although I had my first very real psychic experience just while I was having the reiki, then in my friends mum's kitchen, freaked them out good and proper after that LOL!!!

Drama

Hi guys,

a close friend of mine's mother (she's kind of my second mother iykwim) is a Reiki master, she has health problems of her own, but has more positive energy than anyone I know. I would say it's more about the energy and spirituality brought to the healing - although I do think something like alcoholism could affect the positivity and clarity of the healing, since to me positive energy comes from accepting the world around you.

I can't really clarify what I'm trying to say, but hopefully that makes sense - it's been a long day :smile:

Guest ~starlight~

It made sense, and welcome :)

mum2tayla

Hi there

I won't comment on whether to go for the massage or not because you've got the guidance you need and you know what to do, but I thought it was interesting that you've drawn this experience to you to work through. I just thought it was interesting that you said you've a fear about dark spirits, attachments that you looked at a little a few months ago on the commencement of your journey. This decision about whether to accept a massage or not is perhaps a lovely opportunity for you to again be shown your fears about embarking on the spiritual journey. Having trust, faith and releasing fear is all about where we are heading on our journeys and trusting in that knowing that we will be taken care of and led in the right direction if we believe. Of course along the way we need to acknowledge and release not only fear but the pain of our past and present. Even as a healer, while I might not have any physical ailments at this time, I too am working on my inner stuff and haven't got it sorted as why would I still be here? In other words I too believe that your mother could still heal others as her ailment is not a failure of herself as a healer, only that like us all she continues to have stuff to work on! I only imagine that she may feel some physical discomfort performing reiki if she has arthritus in her hands.

Anyway, a bit of a ramble, but just remember to trust from a place of love, not fear- you will be looked after. xx

LunaBlue

Hey Starlight, I have been thinking about this for a few days, and like many others I would not take healing from someone who was under the control of illicit drugs or alcholol. You need a clear mind to heal properly and a healthy mnd.

Guest ~starlight~

Thank you mum2tayla, words to make me think!!

Puss - I have already decided not to go for a massage with this guy, really I should probably be going to see a chiropractor LOL!!

Lucky Mama

I think for me it depends on the issues that the person has as to whether I can feel as though I would benefit from their healing, alcoholism to me means that person has a lot of inner pain and when they are channeling their energy into me would be challenging some of that pain as well, whereas a person who has an illness such as cancer, arthritis etc can still have such a positive and calming energy and place a lot of that into the person they are working with, I definitely agree with what you are feeling and hope that you are able to find someone to give you the healing that you seek.

Blessings

Kim

Cerridwen

I have been mulling over this for a few days too and have been pondering a few things.

Would it make a difference if you were not aware of the fact that he was an alcoholic? What do you consider an alcoholic and does he have a problem with alcohol, where he has to have a few drinks to unwind every night or does he perform his healing sessions while he is drinking? There are many people in society that have problems but they keep it to themselves and we would not necessarily ever know. Would it make a difference if he smoked pot? Would it make a difference if he only smoked pot occasionally or if he was a regular pot user? Would it make a difference if he was doing healing as a way to raise his own vibration as well as the intent to help others.

If we were having a reading done, would we try to find out if the reader had any imperfections in their personality or illnesses? If we go to a festival and receive a reading or a healing on the spur of the moment we often do not know the background of the person. Has anyone ever had a bad experience after receiving a healing or reading from one of these people? If we are doing a reading for someone else do we consider the imperfections and illnesses within ourselves? Readings too are a form of healing. Each and every one of us has our own issues, within ourselves and none of us are perfect. How do we decide which illness is ok and will or will not have a detrimental effect on us? (Alcoholism is an illness).

The other things is that a good healer is not using their own energy. A healer is a channel for universal energy or spiritual energy.

These are all very complex questions and there are probably many ways of looking at it. We will probably all have differing view points but thought I would put it out there for others to ponder as well

Blessings.

*Jessica*

Very well said Cerridwen! :clap: :clap: :bighug:

Cherubs
The other things is that a good healer is not using their own energy. A healer is a channel for universal energy or spiritual energy.

Yes but if the channel is not clear, then the energy is intermingling with the healers engergy.

They are all good points, and I am not lily white I have smoked pot and I used to drink like a fish, think two bottles of Vodka without falling over, getting sick or stopping the partying. I think for me it comes down to the fact if I am offering healing to someone else, especially if they are paying for it, then I have further responsiblity to heal myself so my channels are clear. As part of that I choose not to artifically alter my mind state and I choose not to get healing from anyone who does.

I suffer from anxiety from time to time, when it comes on I stop healing others and start self healing until I feel I am clear enough to channel the healing energy at a high vibration.

No I wouldn't knowingly go to a reader who smoked pot, having been in that culture, I wouldn't trust that their information was coming from a high vibration.

Having said all that it is a personal opinion, and I am not saying that anyone would necessarily be hurt by accepting healing from someone who drinks excessively or smokes pot, I just feel that drugs and alcohol lower vibrations so I would not.

localyokel

I would say if you are wary of going then you shouldnt.

I know that a lady i know who does massage as well as many sorts of healing said that its impossible not to let some healing occur when you are working with people (ie massage).

I think that there is a lot more than alcohol etc which can interfere with healing. When i was doing a course in alternative therapies we were discussing keeping your boundaries and not taking on other people's troubles when dealing with them. I have to remind myself of that in my normal work as well. We also discussed clients becoming to close to their therapist, and the educators said that it is when you have lacks in your life that you let those people in.

I would wonder if both your stepmother and this therapist find they take on too much from their clients and it affects them rather than the other way around. Maybe this therapist drinks because he hasnt worked out how to keep his boundaries and dispel anyone else's issues after a massage/healing. Altho none of that would make any difference to you, i just wondered. Ali

Guest ~starlight~
Would it make a difference if you were not aware of the fact that he was an alcoholic? What do you consider an alcoholic and does he have a problem with alcohol, where he has to have a few drinks to unwind every night or does he perform his healing sessions while he is drinking? There are many people in society that have problems but they keep it to themselves and we would not necessarily ever know. Would it make a difference if he smoked pot? Would it make a difference if he only smoked pot occasionally or if he was a regular pot user? Would it make a difference if he was doing healing as a way to raise his own vibration as well as the intent to help others.

No it wouldn't make a difference if I was none the wiser, and I wouldn't quiz a healer or reader about their personal ills etc, but with this particular chap, I do see him quite drunk a lot, and I know that he is having problems with his partner due to his drinking.. Poor guy's eyes are always bloodshot, perhaps he needs healing himself, or maybe as localyokel said..

Maybe this therapist drinks because he hasnt worked out how to keep his boundaries and dispel anyone else's issues after a massage/healing.

I just wondered about the negative effects of someone in his position healing others, as I am new to this "energy passsing between" people iykwim, I am learning every day.. :)