Sign in to follow this  
.Ally.

Asking for flexibility/payrise

.Ally.
Unfortunately for us, bosses – like most partners – do not read our minds and these people who pay our salaries are rarely going to volunteer a raise either for a man or a woman.

For those working mothers who want a more flexible working situation, they can feel their negotiating powers are weaker than others.

Read the EB article No Harm in Asking <---

Wdyt?

~~mumsie~~

Never had to ask, always had my boss come to me and offer it.

Thank goodness, because I know I would either not ask, or try and do it and get all nervous/red faced and mumble.

Armagnac Daddy

My advice, ask for flex, if you don't get it try elsewhere- I applied for a full time position but stipulated that I could only work a 4 day week, and from the moment they interviewed me that was the condition. I got it, kept it until we needed the money, then easily went back up to 5.

Recently a friend of ours and mother did the same on my prompting, asking for 4 days with a full time job, and got it. 3 or less may be harder but it's always worth a try.

ellebelle

As someone who gets to make these decisions, it always amazes me how people don't seem to know their true worth....at both ends of the spectrums. I've given payrises to people who could have asked me to double the amount and I probably would have. I've also had people demanding one when they are so close to being sacked...and of course, it was pretty easy to say no. You need to understand your worth to an organisation.