Sign in to follow this  
Feral-Lausii

Pajero or tarago?

Feral-Lausii

Ok, so am car hunting before this baby is born. Will have up to $10 k to spend. Obviously will be an older model of either car. Would have to last us at least 2 years. Live in the country and do some dirt road driving to farms etc and a lot of bad roads out this way so a 4wd pajero I am certainly considering. However I like the option of an extra seat with the tarago. I will never go near a starwagon ever again and have been scared off the kias.

Any one have any of the above and if so are you happy with it? The pajero I have my eye one is a 1999 model and the tarago is a 1996.

TheStick

I have had 3 Pajeros, an 8?, 96 and an 02. Honestly, I think they are pretty good value for money. They are not the most reliable car on the road, but at least when they do break, they are easy to get parts for and the parts don't cost the earth. The 2 earlier ones have the seats that flip down from the sides, the only down side of this is that it does take up a bit of your boot room if you also have a pram in there. The later one the seats tuck into the floor, so you can fit the pram and the shopping in with no worries (I'm pretty sure I have the largest pram in the world too). The down side of this model is that its a double seat, you can't just have 1 seat down like the earlier models, still allowing room for a stroller and stuff, its seats or nothing iykwim. They are pretty heavy on fuel too, but not much more than your large family sedans.

From my experience Toyotas are far more reliable, but parts do cost more (we do 80% of our own repairs, so thankfully labour is not so much a problem) They also hold their value better than Mitsubishi. But at the rate I turn over vehicles, that is not something I personally worry about too much. Put it this way, if I was tossing up between a 2000 Pajero and a 2000 model Prado, I would take the Pajero, simply because I don't think there is that much extra value in the Prado, even though it is going to be a lot more expensive. HTH.

FeralLIfeHacker

Goodluck.

Edited by hugmybabes

blue♥pink

I haven't owned a Tarago, but we have just bought a pajero and find it to be ok.

Theres plenty of room for us all, I find it is just as costly as our magna sedan to run fuel wise, if not we got more out of a tank than our magna.

Reneej

What about a Prado , you can pick up same year models as the Tarago and the Pajero for around the same price ,

We just bought a 04 model and love it , my Dad has a 01 and love his also

Cheers Renee

Mum to 4

Paris 7 yrs

Trent 6 this yr

Abby 4

Ellie 2

TTC #5

Edited by reneej

metime

We had a 98 model Pajero and I loved it. I can't remember the model name but it had leather seats and a wooden steering wheel. We lived on the coast back then and I had to drive for 45mins to our nearest shopping centre on country roads and highways and always felt very safe in it. Don't know how they go long term as we only had it for a few years but I found the back seats very handy and loved the way you could fold them to the sides.