Sign in to follow this  
75sx

What's the difference b/w pre-school and day care for a 3yo?

75sx

As per the title of my post, what is the difference between daycare and pre-school?

I thought they were the same and refer to my son being in 'daycare' however I was talking to a friend whose son is also 3yo, and she said that she recently put him into 'preschool'. She made it sound like a big deal by saying that it's actually a 'pre-school' not just a 'daycare centre' :wacko: .

At my son's centre they have a development plan for him and all of the other kids, they all have focus teachers, they have an orientation program for older kids who will be attending big school ... so what's the diff???

Luly

Someone will prob come and elaborate, but some daycare centres run accredited kindy/preschool programmes and some don't. If your son is doing a kindy/preschool programme then there'd be little difference IMO and the teacher would be a qualified kindy/preschool teacher (so it'd be pretty much like going to kindy/preschool with before and after care...and the hours would be much better if you're working)

My DD1 goes to regular 4 year old kindy/preschool for 3 sessions a week and daycare once a week (which runs a kindy programme). The activities at both are comparable :)

I just think some people like going to the regular 'local kindy/preschool' and/or don't realise daycare's run similar programmes. It could also be a money issue. Daycare is more $$$. Between you and me here in Vic the kindy hours are awful and would be impossible if I was working!! (different routine every day :rolleyes: )

NB: kindergarten in Vic is preschool in NSW (I get confused as I live in Vic and grew up in NSW :lol:)

Edited by Luly

umop-apisdn

Obviously it depends on the preschool and centre, but from my experience, they were very different.

Preschool hours & days: 9am-3pm, 2/3 days of attendance depending on age + closed for school holidays.

Long day care: Could roughly be open from 7am-6:30pm, children attending between 1-5 days.

The hours and days of attendance makes things very different. In long day care, children can have really long days of around 10 hours, and some of them understandably find it very difficult, and tend to have meltdowns throughout the day.

Preschool hours are a lot more child friendly. In long day care sometimes the focus can be more about meeting their basic needs - encouraging children to eat, patting them off to sleep etc. The preschool that I had experience in only had a rest time for a couple of children when it was requested by the parents. Meal times were a lot more relaxed - with children bringing their meals from home. The children were a lot more independent too!

Edited by **em**

mrsmacamoo

I have just done a prac at a local Kinder. I work in the 'Preschool' room at our local long day care centre.

The only differences are:

Kinder is run for x amount of hours, the children arrive together and leave together, it is government funded, teacher is 3 or 4 year trained, children take a lunch box and water bottle.

Long Day Care is usually open for up to 12 hours per day, there are no set session times, teacher is 2 year trained, children may be dropped off at any hour of the morning and picked up at anytime in the afternoon, children are served three meals a day.

I found that the content of each program was very similar - indoor and outdoor activities offered. Very little was different in terms of activities offered.

The children were a lot more independent too!

I would have to argue that the children at long day care can be just as independent as those children who attend Kinder. The children in my room serve their own lunch, pour their own drinks, toilet themselves, dress themselves, put on their own shoes and socks etc. :8

umop-apisdn
I would have to argue that the children at long day care can be just as independent as those children who attend Kinder. The children in my room serve their own lunch, pour their own drinks, toilet themselves, dress themselves, put on their own shoes and socks etc.

I should of added that it really does depend on the children and the centre itself with the children's independence...the LDC's I have been in have not been that great though really.

It was kind of refreshing to go into a preschool Vs LDC though. From LDC where there were quite a few well-spoken and capable 3 year olds in nappies and where every child would be taken to the bathroom at set times, to preschool where every child in the 3 year old room was well and truly toilet trained.

Edited by **em**

Kemismum

I just wanted to add that Im having the same difficulty.

DS goes to a childcare centre (advertised as childcare/preschool), which only caters for 2yrs+, food is provided from home, one room, education/development program etc...its not LDC hours but more flexible then pre-school (8am - 5pm, arrive by 9am, pick up anytime after 3.30pm).

Im not sure if its true pre-school or not, and wether I should be changing him to a "proper" pre-school. Like you my SIL has put doubts in my head as in her view its just "childcare" and makes me feel odd calling it pre-school and that he is missing out.

Then again, I work 9am -5pm on the days he attends, and my parents do the drop off/pick up, so the flexibility in hours suits and DD can attend next year rather than waiting for the following year (freeing up my parents), and if it wasnt for my parents he would have to be in LDC.

It is so confusing.