shimmershine

Forum FAQ

shimmershine

Just a reminder you can find answers to a range of forum & technical Frequently Asked Questions here.

The link can also be found in the menu on the bottom of the page.

FORUM ABBREVIATIONS / ACRONYMS -

http://www.essentialbaby.com.au/forums/ind...howtopic=529892

Other info:

- How to add a photo in your post - link here.

- The full list of emoticons can be found here.

-----------------------------------------------------

How to add a link to the text in your post

Type the text you want to be visible, highlight it, then click on the hyperlink.gif button and it will open a pop up to paste the web link into.

Or type like this:

[url=http://theaddressyouwanttolinkto.com]Link text[/url]

------------------------------------------------------

My username is cut off in posts

Answer:

Hi, I believe that the new software will support usernames up to a maximum of 15 characters. So if you want it to display properly, you will need to change your name.

This issue will affect a lot of users because the previous boards allowed usernames of any length.

Why does it show my location in my posts?

You can edit your Suburb in - My Controls - Edit Profile Information

What is <0 (0) 10> that is showing at the top of my posts?

Answer:

This rating is a moderation feature. If we have to warn members, or place them on PA we will increase their warn level and make a note of the issue. We might also use this in the TR if their a members involved in a dispute etc, so for easy reference other Mods can check the issue.

Only a member can see their own Warn Rating.

I don't want my profile displaying Last Visitors / Friends / Comments.

Answer = Load your profile (click on your username over on the left under Navigation). Click on the Settings tab. You can then choose to pre-moderate / disable / or adjust these options.

Can someone tell if I have visited their profile?

Answer = Not if you have logged on as invisible.

How do I quote someone?

Answer = As well as the traditional method of copying, pasting, hilighting and clicking the quote button, there is now two quicker ways. To quote one person, click on the ""REPLY button under their post, this will open a new reply with their post quoted. To quote multiple people click on the +QUOTE button under each post you want to quote, then click Add Reply.

Practise thread with more info and examples here.

How can I subscribe to a thread?

Answer = click on the icon settings.png in the top right corner of the first post. Choosing Immediate email notification seems to be the best option.

How can I view my subscribed threads?

Answer = Click on My Controls (over on the left) and you will see under Subscriptions "View Topics"

How do I go to the last unread post?

Answer = Click on the grey dot newpost.gif before the thread title.

There is no longer a different icon showing threads that I've posted a reply in, so it is difficult to see when there are new replies.

Answer = This has been logged with admin. In the meantime, you can view your recent posts by clicking on your username in a post or via your profile.

Can other members see my personal information in my profile? link

Answer = Most of that personal information is only viewable by you or admin.

Keep getting logged out

Answer:

Clear out all cookies and temp files, then close all browser windows before opening a new one and logging in again.

Make sure when logging in you tick to be remembered.

Instructions for upgrading browser / clearing cache viewable here.

Darksider

I want to provide an update on a topic I started. How can I change the topic header to say updated and so on and so forth?

Apologies if I am missing something blatantly obvious.

Coffeegirl

Darksider, go back to your original post in the thread and hit edit, you have to use the full editor and you should be able to change the topic header.

• Like 3

Darksider

Thanks Coffeegirl :)

lazycritter

Help me

Why is this new layout so small?  I have to zoom in to read anything. 

It's jumping to the end of topics when I haven't read  any of  it. 

When I turn a page it ends up in the middle of the next page but maybe that's because I'm zoomed in. 

It's not usable and I only ever use the mobile phone to read eb.

Screenshot_20200618-150643.png

purplekitty

I have an adblocker so that ad isn't up the top and there is no white space at the side.

I don't know if that makes a difference.

• Like 1

blue86

It looks like you’re viewing the desktop rather than mobile version, so it’s trying to fit more on your screen - if you tap the three dots to top right does it give you an option to change to mobile (sorry, not sure what phone you have)?

• Like 1

mumbag

It shouldn't look like that on mobile, the side bit should drop down to underneath and the forums should be full width. Did you try clearing browser data? It should be under history in your browser menu (three dots at the top right). You don't need to clear passwords, so leave that unticked.

• Like 1

lazycritter
52 minutes ago, blue86 said:

It looks like you’re viewing the desktop rather than mobile version, so it’s trying to fit more on your screen - if you tap the three dots to top right does it give you an option to change to mobile (sorry, not sure what phone you have)?

I am using the desktop version because the mobile version doesn't show notifications or my user profile and has things hanging off the edge. Like it doesn't fit my screen. 

blue86
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, lazycritter said:

I am using the desktop version because the mobile version doesn't show notifications or my user profile and has things hanging off the edge. Like it doesn't fit my screen. 

Do you mean this part isn’t visible on mobile?

ABF3E27A-8D8F-4792-BE08-48190FA6B56B.jpeg

if so, it come up when you click the three lines at the top left (The 1 is a notification)

C36086F9-4DCE-40F3-A924-5D28CE2620DF.jpeg

Edited by blue86

lazycritter
2 minutes ago, blue86 said:

Do you mean this part isn’t visible on mobile?

ABF3E27A-8D8F-4792-BE08-48190FA6B56B.jpeg

if so, it come up when you click the three lines at the top left (The 1 is a notification)

C36086F9-4DCE-40F3-A924-5D28CE2620DF.jpeg

Oh yes,  but I have to swipe or rather move the screen to the right to view even when I click on it.  Like it's hanging over the edge. I'll try to upload a video snip

lazycritter

Video is too large 

Screenshot_20200618-165822.png

blue86
Posted (edited)

That seems to be device or maybe browser issue - mine pops over the screen

sorry,  not sure @Sandra, May need to be logged?

1D38C244-FD43-47E7-B3D3-A458D3513963.png

Edited by blue86

lazycritter

Another reason the mobile version keeps showing this everytime I hit the newspaper icon.  It's really annoying. I'd like to collapse it please.  Because I can only see two topics if not just one when I should be seeing a list of topics before scrolling down. 

Screenshot_20200618_103123.jpg

blue86

Mine shows quickly then collapses, so it does appear that there is a compatibility/config issue for the browser/ phone you’re using

• Like 1

lazycritter
3 minutes ago, blue86 said:

That seems to be device or maybe browser issue - mine pops over the screen

sorry,  not sure @Sandra, May need to be logged?

Yes your image makes more sense. 

Please help @Sandra  I use a Sony Xperia 10 plus 

So far the issues are above and also the jumping half way down the posts when I turn the pages on a topic.

All these are using the mobile version of the browser settings. 

I can send a video clip via dropbox if needed

lazycritter

Thank you @blue86 for your help 

blue86

No worries. I may or may not be avoiding the current bun fight of a software implementation at work 

• Haha 1

lazycritter
1 hour ago, purplekitty said:

I have an adblocker so that ad isn't up the top and there is no white space at the side.

I don't know if that makes a difference.

Hey @purplekitty  may I ask what add blocker app you use to turn off ads within the forum on your mobile?  I have  avg which stops ads everywhere else but not ads within the actual forum. Please with sugar. 😊 

lazycritter
2 minutes ago, blue86 said:

No worries. I may or may not be avoiding the current bun fight of a software implementation at work 

I may be avoiding my work too. This is far more important.

Eb fix needed! 

purplekitty
9 minutes ago, lazycritter said:

Hey @purplekitty  may I ask what add blocker app you use to turn off ads within the forum on your mobile?  I have  avg which stops ads everywhere else but not ads within the actual forum. Please with sugar. 😊 

I put it on years ago,Adblock itself I think.

I'm not tech savvy so I'm not much help.The IT nerds on here will be more help.

• Like 1

Sandra

Locking this as we already have a thread in Miscell  open for those needing help.