Sign in to follow this  
mumma ♥

Bottle Warmers - safe to use overnight?

mumma ♥

I put a bottle of made up formula in the bottle warmer before i go to bed for the overnight feed, it stays at a constat tempreature for maybe 6 hours until he wakes up, is this ok to do? i have read other people do this but just wanted to ask. it is heaps easier than getting up and making it!

metime

No, it's not safe at all if you've put the formula in, in 6 hours it would be full of bacteria, imagine drinking a cup of milk that's been kept warm for 6 hours, it would be curdled and horrible.

I use a bottle warmer at night too but I only use a sterilised bottle with boiled water in it and I add the powder when he wakes for a feed.

My little one is Ryan as well, born 3rd March 2009.

Edited by fishyfishy

mumma ♥

oh bugger :( In that case it's probably just better for me to go to the kitchen and heat up the water that way.

Thanks for your reply...damn! I was really loving this bottle warmer as well :cry:

metime

It's fine to use without the powder in it. I keep the bottle warmer in the nursery and at night before I go to bed in take in 3 bottles with 120ml of water premeasured in them, pop one in the warmer so it's ready to go when he wakes starving and just add the scoops then. It's really easy. As soon as I take one bottle out I pop another one in so we always have it warm and ready for the powder.

PurplePaperFrog

It is dangerous to have the milk ready and heated for 6 hours...imagine a bottle of milk left in a hot car for 6 hours- you'd definitely throw it out!

What I used to do was have the water ready in the bottle at room temperature and have the powder ready in the dispenser.

So all you have to do is combine it and its ready to go!

If you do prefer it warmer, you can have the bottles filled 3/4 and just add boiling water to fill up the rest- you will always get the 'perfect' temperature everytime!

mumma ♥

I've packed the warmer away now :doh: silly me. What a waste of $50! I make up 2 bottles before bed and leave them in the fridge and pop them in the microwave for 30 seconds. This is the only time I put formula in the fridge, normally I make it up as required. Anything to make night time a bit better.

Thanks for all the help :)

metime

But you can still use it, just don't put the milk powder in it until you are ready to feed him. My water bottles sit in it for 3 hours between feeds, as long as the water and the bottle are boiled/sterilised which you have to do anyway then you are fine.

mumma ♥

But then I have an extra thing (dispenser) to clean each day :tongue: I couldn't be bothered :rofl:

metime

LOL! Fair enough, I just keep take the tin with me when I take the bottles up.

emily~and~girls

:) I hear what you are saying with "one extra thing to wash"

I have a dispenser but its the easiest thing - it has 3 compartments and a swivel lid - the spout bit fits into the open bottle mouth and you just shake the powder in - I premeasure the formula before bed and leave it in the bedroom next to the bottle warmer.

i hate making the trek down to the kitchen and waiting for the microwave - too much concentration!! would rather have the bottle of water warm and the powder ready to go - then its just crack open the bottle, shake in the powder, shut and in the gob! bonus is that DH can do it - not room for error there!!