Sign in to follow this  
Ianthe

? about adding #6

Ianthe

We had our fifth four months ago. Well I would say that having my fifth has been my hardest adjustment. Not the baby but juggling everything. Do things settle down? Should I just accept that I have reached my limit. I wonder if once this intensive baby stage is over then things will be manageable again.

PackedToTheRafters
I wonder if once this intensive baby stage is over then things will be manageable again.

Yep! Matt is now 2 and such a wonderful child. Easy to feed, put down for day sleeps and happily entertains himself. He also now looks to his sibblings for entertainment and help with things. Much easier than the baby stage!! It does get easier once they are bigger and now I am ready to take on another little baby. :babyflip: Which is a good thing since ours is 7 weeks away! :rofl:

Your baby is still young, don't rule out number 6 yet!

insanemumofboyzx6

Having #6 was like #5 revisited but as time goes on it is getting easier just a little slower than it was last time.

Rachaelxxx

Well I've stopped at 5, but I think it's such a hard thing to answer. Now that my baby is nearly 2 years old (2 in mid July), I could not go back to the baby stage again and even though most days are pretty good, sometimes I just wonder if there is enough of me to go around. As the girls are getting older, I'm finding they need more of ME. Of course the younger ones want/need me for the physical side of things, but my older 3 need me to engage a lot more with them. Reading a book for 5 minutes on my lap is just not enough for them now if that makes sense. I need to spend a lot more time on homework with them and they need to know that I'm around for them and it's not always about the younger ones. Mind you this was how I always felt it was, not necessarily how they felt.

I know a lot of mums on here have a lot more kids that 5 and do such a wonderful job but I'm very happy and content with my 5 girls, I no longer feel the need for another and that feeling has just grown stronger and stronger as my baby has gotten older.

I know it's hard, but I wouldn't even be thinking about another yet, I would give it some time and see how you feel down the track.

Rachael and her 5 little princesses

AuntyK

I thought at 6 I had reached my limit, that I simply couldn't do more than I was. And now that No8 is coming along, I feel totally differently! I only said to DH today, that my stress is only over money and the cost of giving all of the kids everything that I want to give (outside of the standard food/house/clothing that they already get). But the stress of being able to cope? Its just not there. I guess part of it is that we are now both home and there are two of us there to interact with the children, but even if we weren't, I actually think that I would still cope just fine.

I honestly think the reason for this is that you only ever have a certain number at a certain age. When I had 6 under the age of 10/11, I really struggled! But now that my older three are totally independent, the organising time for them is completely reduced. I have 6 at school and only one at home during the day, meaning that daytimes are far quieter and peaceful than they are when I have 2 or 3 at home all at once. There are times when the majority of them are all at the same school, rather than spread across Daycare, Pre-School and Primary. Now that we have four kids at the same school, its easy to do a quick drop off and pick up each day, rather than doing the rounds. The highschool kids look after themselves. The older kids can cook (and mine think its a treat to do so!), they help out with jobs, they are an extra pair of hands to catch a wayward toddler. Homework is getting easier because the older ones will willingly help the younger ones with a hard word or with using the internet. I guess I am lucky that they are all very giving of their time to their siblings (most of the time anyway!).

Like I said, my situation right now is unusual (DH is my carer whilst I am immobile) but we are both coping so well and feel like we could just keep going!! Not sure we will though...

K