-Muse-

(Update w/ photo)Need an applique tip, please

-Muse-

Hi,

So I have this very soft cotton girls singlet from target and I've just made a heart-shaped applique from some beautiful pink polka dot fabric (thanks DaniL!) and some fusible interfacing. I want to sew the heart onto the singlet, but I'm worried about ruining it, so I thought I'd ask what the best way to sew it down is? By machine or hand? And what stitch?

Also, I have this trimming that is pink flowers joined together side by side to form a ribbon (thanks again, DaniL!) and want to sew it onto the outside of the heart, but it's quite stiff compared to the singlet and applique. Should I glue it down or just carefully hand sew it?

Thanks heaps!

Romi

Edited by *Romi*

Ace1976

I prefer hand stitching my appliques with a blanket stitch. I use embroidery thread. On my machine I have tried straight stitch, zig zag, satin stitch and blanket stitch. I just have trouble with keeping it nice and straight, using the slowest setting on my machine does help.

Andrea

littlefeet

Hi Romi,

My machine has a blanket stitch on it so I tend to applique on machine.

I hav also used a small zig zag which also works well, but I prefer the look of the blanket stitc.

If you were to machine sew it though I would definitely put some tearaway stabiliser on the back before sewing it.

This makes it more firm or stable to sew - particularly important with a soft fabric.

You could just use some interfacing to do this - doesn't have to be the 'special' stuff!

Make sure you leave your needle down as you turn the shape to sew it on - and work slowly.

I'd probably hand-stitch the flowers on - I haven't really used glue on my fabric before so don't know how that would go.

Good luck - can't wait to see the end rsult.

-Muse-

Mmm.. I think I'll get some tear-away stabilizer next time I'm at SL. I think using the 'buttonhole' stitch on my machine would look really nice for this, but I might do the blanket stitch by hand this time.

Thanks so much for the responses :)

jadewind

I used zigzag on my machine and it worked well for me. Then I also used blanket stitch by hand and I like the ‘raw’ look.

-Muse-

Crap photo quality warning:

But here's my first attempt at an applique with hand blanket stitching around it.

I totally screwed up, even though I pinned it (just not enough it seems!) because it pinched up the top.

Sorry bout the photo.. it's actually a PINK heart with LIGHT PINK embroidery thread but.. whatever :)

heart.jpg

Craftyleopard

Looks great, this fabric can be difficult to work with so you did a great job!

daniL

Romi- whenever I have used the flower ribbon I sew it on by embroidering french knots in the center of each flower. Not sure how glue would hold up?

Glad you loike it all :thumbs:

-Muse-

Oh thanks DaniL! As you can see I haven't tried them yet, I'm too scared to ruin them, they are SO pretty!