Sign in to follow this  
Honeyblonde

Breast abscess? What do I do? HELP!

Honeyblonde

Hi

I have a 4 week old baby, this is my fifth baby I have breastfed and have NEVER had this problem, so here goes.

I think I have a breast abscess but need some opinions from mums who have had this.

Since baby was about a week old I had a small (0.5mm) lump on the outer edge of my left nipple, actually where the nipple joins the areola. When baby was about 3 weeks old it then got really really sore and then my whole breast was hurting, including burning and throbbing etc. Felt awful and teary and emotional.

The next day I got what I thought was a crack at the junction of the areola and the nipple right above the small red lump. This then started leaking tiny amounts of pus.

Breastfeeding was AGONY, I would scream when baby attached and then sob while he fed.

After ringing 2 breastfeeding counsellors, a lactation consultant and seeing 2 different Dr's I finally got someone to listen to me, and got antibiotics for it.

(Kept getting told its just a sore/damaged nipple and a crack above it, I was thinking more a blocked duct/cyst that was infected.)

Have been on the AB's since last Wed night and the lump has gone down a lot, redness has gone down a lot, breastfeeding just stings a bit when he attaches and sucks strongly (I assume this is the open crack hurting) but there is still pus leaking out only a few small drops at a time.

The *crack* (which I think is more a crack/hole joined to the abscess) is not healing up, looks like a small ulcer when it opens up.

I think with my antibiotics almost finished (will run out Tues morn) that I need more AB's to clear this up? It felt much better yesterday but today feels worse again.

Also is there anything I can put on the crack to heal it, or should I leave it open while pus is still building up and leaking out of it?

Is this a breast abscess, and is it only a small one? Or could there be some huge abscess deeper in my breast that is joined to this small leaking lump?

Do you think I need the small lump aspirated/lanced or is it ok as it is already leaking the pus out through the crack above it?

I have continued to feed on this breast throughout all of this, (somehow!! as it really HURTS!) using the football hold, so his top lip isnt pulling on the crack as it does when feeding in the normal BF position.

It is my birthday on Tuesday and I really dont want to be in pain by then!

Must add I am making a Dr apptmt for tomorrow but just wanted some advice/opinions/other mums experiences.

Will this take ages to heal up, and am I likely to get it again?

Could I also have thrush due to the burning feeling in my nipple and breast or is this part of the abscess pain?

Sorry for all that rambling!

Thanks.

marieka

Hi

I am sorry that this is happening! And I think you are doing a wonderful job to continue feeding thru the pain.

If you are concerned that you have an abscess then ask your GP for a referral for a breast ultrasound. That will give you some more information - if there is an abscess they will be able to see it and measure how big it is. They also may be able to drain it for you.

Sorry I can't help more....I haven't ever had an abscess but 5 bouts of mastitis was pretty bad.

Good Luck

:)

auntysian

Oh boy - I am hearing your pain!

I am so glad I got to the end and found you have a dr appt tomorrow - if you think it is not getting better enough, keep persisting. I had an abscess which did not respond to ABs (from first dr) and ended up hospitalised for IV ABs. These did not work either and I ended up having to have surgery to remove the abscess. It was only small on the surface but the surgeon said the 'wound' full of pus was the length of his finger..... :wacko:

Good luck - keep persisting until it is healed to your satisfaction. Only you kbow how much it hurts.

S.

Edited to add - as per pp: they did a needle aspiration under ultrasound to confirm abscess. Might be worthwhile requesting this.

Edited by auntysian

mumma23

Get some more antibiotics. You don't need to have it lanced if it's draining itself which it sounds like it is.

Generally, follow recommendations for mastitis as this is pretty much what it is, just in one duct only.

I would suggest hot & cold compresses (see which one relieves it, then stick with that) & then rubbing bepanthen into it.

Edited by mumma23

jessde

hiya

i'm not sure if what i had is the same as what you are going through. i had a sebaceous cyst on my right nipple. it was one of those "montgomery tubacles" (sp?) but got infected i guess, and became a big, very sore, lump. ended up getting it cut out with just a local and had three stitches. i managed to keep feeding on the other side and a bit on the right side, but was very painful. the football hold is a great idea.

feeding with my new buddy is going ok on that side now. was two years ago now, healed nicely.

def agree with PP, gp should help. mine wasn't that supportive of me continuing to bf. made me heaps angry. find a good one!!

lucky 2

Hi, oooh, you need proper investigation of this lump, breast by a diagnostic ultrasound ASAP, tomorrow, and a Dr who is knowledgeable and experienced with this complication. This is more than mastitis, abcess formation can occur if underlying mastitis is not treated/resolved.

You need antibiotics, the right ones from a swab of the pus, rest, and try to keep milk moving out of the breast, by direct bf or pumping, but if the abcess has burst at the edge of your areolar the pump breast shield may pull on it, ouch!

With correct diagnosis and medical care all your questions will be answered, wait until this happens and avoid putting bepanthen anywhere near it, just some absorbent dressing material and let it drain.

You might even need to be referred to a womens hospital and be readmitted to treat it with Intravenous Antibiotics, U/s, aspiration if needed.

Re burning pain in nipple, sure, it could also be thrush in your breast tissue and nipple, if women have thrush symptoms with mastitis or abcess, they are treated with antifungal capsules (fluconazole) as well as antibacterials.

Good luck tomorrow and let us know, abcess formation occurs in less than 10% of women who get mastitis, unfortunate and unfair, yes, but very treatable.

mygems

Honeyblonde - Ohh I so hear your pain :( I had the same as you. It started out really hard and lumpy, then the more she sucked, she eventually put a hole in my breast, like you are discribing, I was in pain too. DH finally had enough and took me to ER. They drained it under local, and yeah he got half a big suringe full. The I was hospilized for the weekend. (so fri-sunday) DD came with me cause she was only 5 months old. I ended up keeping her off it and expressed that side only till it had healed. I hired a breast pump and it took a couple of weeks.

Would you believe that DS#2 did the same thing, put a hole in the same side!! But I got onto it a bit eariler then last time, and hired a pump again for 2 weeks, but it wouldn't heal, as I also kept giving it back to him. So I got the pump for another couple of weeks and kept him off till it was completly healed.

So I guess I really haven't helped much, hope you get some answrers tomorrow and get it sorted once and for all.

Shell,