Charmzy

:o I really feel like a large family now

Charmzy

Jackie I dont know how big the van you mentioned is, its pretty big though, *most* commercial vans I've seen are still a decent bit smaller than the transit, some are comparable but not too many.

I cant for the life of me remember what its called but the Toyota 12 seater I think its a Hiace?... its quite small in comparison to the Transit 12 seater.. The boot space is NO comparison in a Hiace, not even half the space! We got 18 suitcases in the back of the Transit on our way to the airport, then when we got to our destination we had a Hiace and we struggled getting the luggage in, had to put some under seats, in with us etc it did not all fit in the back!

ikeaqueen

Tehe, I asked DH and his work actually have a few Transits (just 3 seaters though) for the cabling guys so they can stand up inside - we've had one in our driveway for a while when his normal van was broken :doh:

He said they're pretty nice to drive too, better than the smaller vans they have!

:thumbs:

Should start hinting, haha!

ETA - just did a bit of a search... It's cheaper to buy some of the second hand Transits and Hiaces than it is for a Tarago or Avensis (my other choices), I like the look of the Hiace (bit smaller for me!).

Edited by -jackie-

Tenbabes

I think its over 4mtr long. I agree its much better then the Hiace. I owed one of them before I bought my first transit. And it hasnt got any real boot space. We had to always put the stuff in the bus itself.

They are long too and more narrow then the transit. But the transit has much room then the hiace by far.

This is our 2nd transit. Except we bought it new. But they are very good large family buses. I would recommend them for sure.

I think we payed $30,000 for our first one which was 3 years old at the time. But you can get older ones and cheaper.

Transit is awesome. And much more space if you need it.

ikeaqueen

Kinda funny but today there was a Hiace Commuter in front of me at the shops :lol: NEVER noticed one before and then today I see one... And a Transit drove past it (commercial one though not passenger one). Was kinda funny :lol:

The Hiace I saw though had a massive boot - I think they may have removed the rear seats to make more space. There was a seatbelt on one side with no seat there (IYKWIM?).

I do like the look of the Transit much more and the interior. I just want that boot that I can put an unfolded pram in! :thumbs:

They actually don't use as much petrol as I assumed (went to the green guide). Is it extra to register and insure them? I assumed insurance would go on the value so it wouldn't matter but was unsure?

I was looking at Taragos but they're so expensive second hand and most have done a heck of a lot of kms AND they have two stupid lap only seatbelts :no:

Ahh ranting, stealing your thread, sorry! LOVE the car :D

Tenbabes

Yeah they would have pulled the back seats out to get the boot space.

But they are a nice bus to drive. Just not as practical as the Hiace!

Its funny, because as soon as you want to get a certain car, You start to notice more of then on the road then before. I think you just start to pay more attention after that LOL. I do that too!

ikeaqueen

Tehe, I'm still going to look at the Hyundai iMax first, had a quick look but couldn't try things in it. The boot seemed a lot bigger than the Tarago.

12-14 seats for a family of 5 is maybe a little excessive :rofl:

I figure, we get a iMax/Tarago/7-8 seater now and then later we upgrade to the bus :lol: If I get the bus now then by the time I fill it I'll want a new bus :wub:

Charmzy

lol jackie when we first started looking at the Transit we were still not pregnant with #5 so a family of 6, we liked the idea of so much space for family holidays though so thought even if #5 didnt happen (had been TTC welll over a year by then) we could still do with the extra space hehe

Insurance wise we were paying about $65 a month for fully comp of our chrysler its gone up to $85 a month for the transit, not a massive difference really.

Rego I am not sure I have heard they are about an extra $200 a year but ours came with 12 months rego so won't know until September how much it is lol

One thing I'm happy with is I though the tollways would charge more due to its size but its still classed as a 'car' so my tolls on eastlink/citylink stayed the same.. this is very important to me as I use eastlink 2-3 times a week visiting friends and citylink most weekends and if the cost went up I wouldnt have been impressed hehehe :)

ikeaqueen

Tehe, I'm tossing up between the Avensis and the iMax for now... No plans in the near future for #4 even :lol:

So love the space, although I have issues parking my Camry so I'm probably the last person who should drive a itty bus :rofl:

Plans for the future though... Enjoy your new beast!

Charmzy

lol :) You might progress like me then, I had a camry before the chrysler hehehe :) :)

ikeaqueen

:rofl: Will tell DH that! We'll need a slightly bigger house first, 4 per room is my maximum (for now :lol:)... Or we could build two sets of triple bunks and get six in there :rofl:

Could easily fit one more in here though :wub:

Charmzy

lol omg 2 sets of triple bunks that would be a sight to see!

We have the 2 girls in one room, 2 boys in another and bub will get her own room once shes out of ours around 6 months :)

ikeaqueen

Hehehe... Plan to move in 5ish years so plenty of time to convince DH that we need just a couple more children :thumbs::lol:

Charmzy

pmsl the early you start convincing the more chance of him agreeing/giving in??? lol

my hubbys already convinced on going for #6 after #5 arrives but all depends if we get the all clear or not from surgeon and that doesnt look too promising. Hubby does seem a bit scared that he thinks I'll want to go for 8 if we do get to 6 though :p Lucky for him theres no way in hell my surgeon would ever agree to me having that many more csects!

ikeaqueen

I live even numbers, I'm thinking 4 or 6 (depending on what #4 is like :whistle: ).

DH worries about money :doh: His debate right now is that we can't fit another in the car... Hehe, when we upgrade we can :evilgrin: I honestly don't think kids cost *that* much! (I do all the finances).