Forum Moderator

FDC Chat #4

forestfriends

Yeah GOLD for Forest Friends this thread around!

AND YEAH MANLY SEA EAGLES!!!!!!! :)

~*Bec*~

SILVER!!

Ha ha ha Boo Manly!!!!

Edited by beccalyn

lisacat

HI,

I am wondering if I can join this chat please. I am currently living in ACT but will be moving to QLD late next yr. DH & I will be buying our own house and I will start up FDC.

A few Q's if I can.

How much on average do you earn?

I will be buying a house, what kind of things should I look for for FDC requirements?

Thanks

Lisa

Guest Willambian

Wooden Spoon :grin:

And who cares who wins whatever footy it is we're taliking about :tongue:

Lisa - Hi & welcome! I am in QLD and have been doing FDC for most of this year. Let me know where abouts in QLD you end up and if you're close I know a fantastic scheme to join with :grin:

What you earn will depend what you charge, how many kids you take and for how many hours/days. I charge $7.50/hour standard and work 32hours/week for two kids and 28 hours/week for the other atm. I work four days atm. This will change next year so no idea what I will be earning then. Right now about $600ish a week after scheme levies but before tax, super and any other expenses. But there are huge variations and I have my son taking a place I can't charge for.

As for FDC requirements - look for places that you can easily make safe. Close off tops and bottoms of stairs. Good safe flat backyard, fenced pool if there is one. I will be looking for something that I can seperate the FDC area from the family area (ie if I run out of time for washing the dishes, parents won't see it :lol: ) Make sure there is enough rooms for a play area and a sleep/quiet area. Easy access to bathrooms, toilets, heating facilities for lunch. Under cover outdoor area a great bonus but don't need it. Watch for low windows and check sliding doors have a safety logo on them. These are things you can fix but to get safety film is $$ so keep it in mind.

These are just some of the things I will be keeping in mind when I start looking to buy. Goodluck

Been busy this weekend cleaning....behind my puter was so gross :sick::cry: . Bought a new file cabinet for work and moved things around to fit it in. Also moved DS up a size so sorted through the old stuff to either store or keep but we are quickly running out of storage room for all his clothes! :o

Still gotta run around and finish tidying then vac and mop ready for tomorrow and a new week.

Twins are away tomorrow :dance: so a nice quiet day with DS and the baby. Planning to take them to the library for storytime and then the park for a picnic lunch before home for sleeps....love when the twins are away we get to get out of the house! :wub:

Then a Play Session to see some Fire Engines on Wednesday so only have the twins half day as their mum will bring them to the play session then drop them here after...so they are hers to watch and I only have the other two for half the day then too.

Loving this week! :D

lisacat

Willambian - I will be moving to Hervey Bay so there is only one scheme and they are run through churches of christ.

I dont have any children at the moment and will be working 5 days a week. I need to earn around $600 a week after everything is taken out eg tax, super etc.

Thanks for the advice on what to look for in a house.

I dont know what I will do when we have children, we have so much stuff now that we are running out of room let alone all of the things child related :wacko:

~*Bec*~

Amber - I didnt even get through what you wrote but i was cracking up over the wooden spoon...LMAO!!!

Lisacat - Welcome to FDC chat :D I am currently int he ACT (what side r u on?) I earn atm approx $550 per fortnight, i am not completly full and i have 2 kids of my own (so double that with no kids + some for the days i have free).

lisacat

Hi Beccalyn,

Thanks for the welcome. I live in Gungahlin.

I currently work in child care but want to get out of working in centres.

I need to make that much to help out with the mortgage that we would be getting into. How long did it take you guys to get up and running?

~*Bec*~

I started my orientation in feb 2007 and completed it in march 2007, i was bf'ing my DS so i waited and started FDC in Feb 2008, once i decided to start it was a matter of my safety checks etc etc maybe about 2-3 weeks depending on the bookings they had at the time.

Im looking at taking more kids next yr as i will loose 2 "babies" to school age kiddies (will be sad there getting bigger) so next years earning potential is huge......

I love what i do with the right families....The only advise i can give you is set a period for you and the children and the families maybe 2 mths to get started and make sure it works out, choose your children and families wisely.

~*Jivester*~

Hi there,

Is it cool if I join your chat group? :unsure:

My name is Tina, & I am in the very early stages of starting my FDC business.

I have 3 kids (2 school aged & a 3 yr old that will be at home with me)

I am actually going into my schemes office this morning for my first training session...am excited! :)

Would be lovely to be able to ask you guys for advice & just have a general chat!

Guest Willambian

Bec - glad you like the wooden spoon :lol: And great advice on chosing your children wisely :rolleyes: forgot that bit. Speaking of which....my twins are away today :D:lol:

Jivester - welcome :)

Lisa - Love Harvey Bay but I think thats prob a bit out of reach of my scheme :lol: I am in Brisbane :)

If you need to earn a set amount each week I would recommend setting yourself a budget so you know how much you are spending on FDC each week/month. Unlike me who just buys toys and books whenever I feel like it :blush: Next year I will do a workable budget on this now that I have a better idea what I am doing and how much things are (insurance, rent etc)

It took me a couple of months to get ready to FDC but thats mostly coz I was slow to get started (I wanted to start in the New Year and I got the ball rolling in October so dragged my feet a bit lol). It will really depend how much safety stuff you will need to do to how long it takes. If you get ready in advance and apply for your blue card and do your first aid it will give you a head start too. The blue card can take quite a few weeks to clear/arrive. :)

Hows everyone else's day shaping up? Its a beautiful day here in Brisbane and we are looking forward to getting out today :D

~*Bec*~

Well lovely ladies, my children are all :sick:

Jaykub was :sick: on saturday and we took him to hospital as he has a 39 degree temp and a wickered rash all over!

Then got up yesterday and int he car while we were out i noticed kaitlyn had the same rash and she said she had a head ache :angry: then the first thing i hear this morning upon waking is daddy i have a sore tummy and a head ache. Low and behold she chucked up and i then had to send the FDC kids home...

Hope all is good tommorow :pray:

ChunkyChook

I wa supposed to have today off but ended up with 3 back up kids.

Have an appointment to look at a house I am super keen on this afternoon.

Also should be hearing from the bank tomorrow. *fingers crossed*

Guest Willambian
kodi - fingers crossed for you. Hope you get the bank approval and the house you want! :D

forestfriends

All the best Kodi

Had three kids today and we went to the library for the first time, was ok until one of the children decided she didnt want to be there anymore and have a tantrum!

prini

hey guys i just had a few quick questions about family day care in qld, i know they are bringing in the safety glass thing just wondering how costly this is etc i would have quiet a few windows that go to the floor that the kids would come into contact with. If it costs alot to do then it would probably deter me at looking into becoming a carer.

Thanks for your help

Rebcca

~*Bec*~

Whats with the safety glass thing - we just need stickers on all our windows so the kids dont walk into them :unsure:

Kodi - Good luck house hunting and banking .....

Forest friends - glad to hear your out and about bummer about the tanty chuckers but we all have them :tongue:

Amber - hmmm well i was about to add something but you give me nothing to add :lol: ....Good luck with the invites this weekend :D

I bought a water play table $40 at woolworths today OMG was the best invention ever, JT played out there for hours and when he came in despite the fact we were 26 degrees today he looked like he had been swimming lmao!!

I have put my name down for more kiddies and i got 2 replys and they are starting 23rd october and the 3rd November to fill in my blanks :D Awesome im so happy, although i did have to cancel care for my baby on a thursday but i am still offering mon, tue and wednesday if mum is at all interested (which isnt looking hopeful atm)....Not to worry plenty more fish in the sea :grin:

Have a good night ladies hope to hear from you soon ...

forestfriends

Prini - we only have to place stickers on our windows too (i live in Qld)however the alternative is to put contact paper over the bottom half of the windows. This can be fun if you want to paint a design on them and then contact over the top!

Don't let anything deter you from doing family day care until you really research things , generally there is a way around everything. It took me 5 schemes to find one that approved my home all over minor things, so don't give up too easily!

goodluck - btw where in Qld are you located

prini

http://www.familydaycare.com.au/documents/...Kit%20Mar08.pdf

The scheme my family daycare mum is in south east ipswich and springfield family daycare have given there carers i think til dec to adhere to above, so she has to pay a glazier to come and inspect all her windows($340 for the inspection), she hasn't had them out but is expecting it to be fairly expensive to safety film the windows and i was thinking of becoming a carer but has scared me alittle, haave a big house with lots of windows. maybe it is just there scheme but assume it will be a matter of time before all schemes have to adhere???

lisacat

Prini - I can see how that would put you off :blink:

makes me second think too, especially all the stuff inside eg entertainment unit, shower.

beccalyn - it was such a lovely day here wasnt it. I was at school holiday care and spent most of it at the playground.

Kodi - are you buying a house?

Forest friends - oohh how do you deal with a tantrum in public?

How often do you guys take the children out? Im thinking I might go a little stir crazy with limited adult contact.

~*Bec*~

What a great day it was in deed - tommorow is meant to be just as good :D

I take the kids out as often as i feel sane enough to :blink: .....

forestfriends

I'm trying to aim to taking the kids out on one day a week, I run a playgroup one day a week so that will be two days of "outings" as sorts and one day at home. Also all my kids dont come every day of the week so it mixes it up a bit. The tantrum I just told the child that she needed to stop being silly and that we would now not be going to playground and instead home. She could see how disappointed the other kids where but she continued to be a little difficult anyway. Its different when they aren't your own kids as you need to be 'soft but firm'

lisacat

Hi,

Beccalyn - what scheme are you with in ACT?

Things have changed in my plans. DH & I are putting off moving to qld because of funding :cry: so we will be staying in ACT for the next 5 or so yrs.

We have just put in a holding deposit on a house and land package, it is 3 bedroom and has a nice little yard out the back so will be perfect for FDC.

How is everyone going? who had the long weekend off?

~*Bec*~

Lisacat - I live in Isabella Plains and my scheme is Communities @ work. I think there are 2 schemes in the ACT (weston/woden and communitites@work) now if im correct in saying this weston woden charge a set fee where as communities @ work you can set your own fee's. We also have compensation were they dont.

If you like you can PM me with any details if your looking at starting up i can help you.

ChunkyChook

Hi Ladies,

I have an issue.....

My 10 month old is constantly coming with inappropriate clothing that is one or two sizes too small. Todays top was 000 so was up around the belly button and 3/4 sleeves.

The food that is sent is also really bad. Constantly sweet baby foods, chocolate custard etc. Never meat and veg and now jam and nutella sandwiches are being sent along with sweet biscuits.

I am unsure how I should approach this. I am thinking about getting some information sheets printed up from my co-ordination unit and sending them home with families??? That would be fine for the food but I'm not sure how to go about the clothing thing.

Anyone else had to deal with something like this? How did you go about it?