Guest TheCrone

Food not lawns!

Guest TheCrone

Anyone interested in doing this? Has anyone done this yet? Anyone read the book?

Nora.

We don't have a front garden, our house is plonked right in the middle of the garden, but I have spent the past 12 months slowly planting fruit trees etc.

I am currently having an ongoing battle with onion weed, and out of sheer desperation am having to forgo the vegetable patch this year & try to suffocate the buggers with a thick layer of cardboard/mulch. However, I have just spent this morning planting more seeds for stuff I can plant in pots. Also planted two more blueberry vines! I also dug a strawberry patch out of the lawn last week after a rogue strawberry from behind us crept into the garden.

So far we have;

Two olive trees (in pots)

1 lemon, lime, mandarin tree (in pot)

1 lemon & lime tree

1 mango tree (in pot)

1 peach tree

1 nectarine tree

1 plum tree

1 cherry tree

2 apple trees

3 blueberry vines

1 redcurrent vine

10 strawberries, although more seeds planted this morning

1 mandarin tree

1 orange tree

This morning I planted seeds for white beefsteak tomato, black Russian tomato, peter penis pepper (I couldn't resist), habanero chilli, yellow strawberry (again, couldn't resist), jack be quick pumpkin.

Planted 2 weeks ago (but no signs of life yet) are;

Borage (apparently this is fab put in ice cubes for wine)

Strawberry (where the hell will they all go???)

Zebra tomato

Capsicum

Have rosemary in the garden, basil, thyme & oregano in a pot.

ETA: Also have a grape vine (just saw the baby grapes today) & a bay tree ;)

Edited by otg

Guest TheCrone

I want to see some pics!!!!

Sounds fabulous :D

Nora.

I just went outside to take photos but the garden is an absolute mess at the moment, so will do so when it's a bit more presentable. Basically it was ignored all last summer/autumn & it was only in June that I begun to slowly reclaim the garden from weeds.

The fruit trees aren't really productive. I have a couple of oranges on one & a couple of lemons on another. But this is a long term plan for us, so I'm okay if we don't get much produce for the first few years. I think it also takes a little while to learn what you're doing. Right now it's all a bit hit & miss.

I'm really looking forward to the plants I've just put in trays to grow. I like buying the more unusual varieties from ebay. There's some really good tomato plants that you just don't see in the regular garden centre.

I'm very excited to see baby grapes although the vine is 2 years old (well, two years in my garden) & so far it's produced had baby grapes & then they've vanished. I don't think an animal/insect is getting them. I've Googled for info but can't find out what's going on. Just this morning I gave the vine some food in the hope that will help.

We have 4 areas to this garden. North is for the children, trampoline, swing set, east is for my flower beds & potted plants (food plants mostly), south is where my fruit trees & eventually veg patch will go), and west is just an overgrown mess. It's in the shade so not sure it will be of much use.

What do you have?

KristyMum-

:) I posted a reply in the WDYT thread on this and am mad keen, what we're thinking, why we're doing it etc (hope it's ok to link, rather than c&p my post) :)

Just think how much f&v our circle could produce (runs around a massive park) and how much that would reduce our household carbon emissions by having our own f&v. We have minimal avail sunlight space out the back so the front has been our plan. Just gotta get there so will be watching this thread with interest for hints and tips :)

Afterall... can you drink your lawn?

Cheers

Kristy

Edited by KristyMumTo4

*CalamityJane*

We don't have a front lawn either LOL. We have verge of sorts which we don't water as I reckon it's wasteful. I was actually thinking of planting it out with natives one of these days.

Our front garden is a cottage style courtesy of the previous owners - roses and bulbs (and weeds!). My plan is to keep the old roses and to gradually add cottagey looking food plants to fit in with the look of the house. I'd love to have something functional but pretty in the potager tradition.

My current project is to try to learn how to grow vegies successfully, and I've confined myself to a large raised bed in the pool area for now.

DH has grand plans of remodelling the rest of the backyard including knocking out the shed and the dunny and building some sort of multi-purpose pavillion. Once that's done (if ever), I plan to add some fruit trees to the rest of the yard.

Guest TheCrone

CJ, plant heaps of colourful edible kales (I can let you have some if you wish!) also look at chives and onions as they look lovely and cottagy when in flower!

Kristy, I have your mint here and it's taken root nicely in it's pot. I also have some coriander which you may like. the Tansy is yet too put out roots but it the cutting is sitting in a glass of water here.

Green Fairy

We have quite a bit of space in our front yard, but it is all on a slope. I think we will put in a retaining wall to give us a bit more structure.

What plants can you guys recommend for someone whose thumb isnt the greenest to start with? I dont want to kill everything become disheartened and give up so if anyone has ideas I am all ears!

KristyMum-
Kristy, I have your mint here and it's taken root nicely in it's pot. I also have some coriander which you may like. the Tansy is yet too put out roots but it the cutting is sitting in a glass of water here.
Thanks heaps! I have replied in two threads in the WA NC board, one was your 'it's ready' - just lemme know via email/PM when's a good time for you and we'll come collect - also do you have any food allergies/don't eats :)

Kristy

Lyra

I would love to do this but we are in an 'interesting' area and I am not sure that all my hard work will be rewarded IYKWIM. At the moment we don't water that lawn and have no intentions of ever doing so. If it survives summer then well done, lawn you get to live another year

However, we have a massive back yard and we are going to be putting in about 4 or 5 decent sized plots this weekend.

Guest TheCrone

Lyra, we too live in an interesting area. I keep jokingly saying that I am going to plant it up big with rhubarb and put plant tags around saying 'silverbeet' :ph34r:

MichP

We dont have any lawn and I dont think that DH would be agreeable to ripping up the paving which hasnt really been down all that long. Have started planting some vegeout the back though and still working on removing the palm tree stumps (1 small one down, 4 big ones to go!) and roots so that that area is usable for food garden. At some point we have to contact the council to get them to put in the verg tree that had to be taken out for the driveway and I am going to ask if it can be a fruit tree, dont like my chances though.

You would love the house down the road from us, I think an old italian couple live there and their whole front including the verg is vege garden.

Edited by MichP

brazen

we have a patch of grass at the front of our house which is totally useless (it's not big and we never water it but... actually perhaps i should call it a patch of weeds, i'm not sure how much grass is in it lol). last year i told dh i wanted to rip it up and put garden bed in and he wasn't at all keen. he is a slow mover though so it might be time to start working on him again lol you can see it here

2811598235_0a1b97c70c.jpg

it doesn't go much further past the right of the picture.

actually seeing that picture has reminded me about our huge area of footpath - but unfortunately it's territory land so we can only plant grasses in it - dh and i have been talking about planting native grasses (our garden is mostly native) but maybe there are some foody things that might go well out there?

our garden is meant to be a sort of native cottage garden... so any ideas for the garden or the footpath welcome :)

ps: the only other bit of grass we have is around the same size as that, in teh backyard so we dont' want to lose that little bit, it has the trampoline and swings etc on it.

KristyMum-

:) I'm also planning to have the vege vege part (ie not the fruit trees) in raised planters about hip/waist high on metal cylinder legs - to keep the rats out :rolleyes: as they are the biggest pest in our garden (too much demolition going on round here), will mean the nutty Jemma-dog can't roll/bury stuff in them and at a good tending/picking height for the gardener. In a curve shape I reckon they'll look pretty good.

:)

We have a small amount of shade to take into acct as well, but the bonus is that the front is the lower of our bock so water run-off should be good in terms of tanks and winter.

Good luck with the council Michelle

:)

Smurtle the Turtle
Our front garden is a cottage style courtesy of the previous owners - roses and bulbs (and weeds!). My plan is to keep the old roses and to gradually add cottagey looking food plants to fit in with the look of the house. I'd love to have something functional but pretty in the potager tradition.

CJ this is very much the effect that I'm going for at our place. All my roses are underplanted with herbs and I'm very much into companion planting to reduce the need for commercial fertilizers, pesticides and fungicides.

So far I have:

borage companion planted with strawberries

tomatoes companion planted with basil and weeds sorry parsley (it just grows like weeds)

lettuce

thyme, lemon thyme, orange thyme, rosemary, sage, oregano, marjoram all planted in the same area as they like the same condition

chocolate mint and mint in pots (because I cant stand mint taking over the garden)

spring onion in various spots around the place

chives companion planted with apple trees

blueberry bush companion planted with marigolds

rhubarb companion planted with marigolds

raspberries (although I'm not 100% sure how these are going to go, it might be too warm here for them)

Guest dixiebelle
I want to see some pics!!!!
Me too!

No front yard here (rental townhouse) except some weedy, dirt common area... but I will be keen to see how you all go!

KristyMum-

keen to see anyone's pics as well :)

NewLifeDirection

Hi all!

We have quite an extensive front lawn. We also do not water it and if if manages to survive another summer then so be it. Unfortunately with the slope of our block we are restricted in what we can do until we find $$ for a mega set of retaining walls.

I *really* want to put in fruit trees but there is no point if you are going to be lifting the soil level in those places by up to two meters.

So where do I buy a money tree? Someone on here must know...

*CalamityJane*
CJ, plant heaps of colourful edible kales

Thanks Lara, I have some kale seeds I haven't planted yet (from Eden Seeds).

Smurtle, thanks for those ideas too. I think I am going to let the bulbs have their spring fling and once they are ready to be lifted, redo the front garden. The soil needs some serious TLC. DH also has a thing about garden beds without any kind of border to keep the soil in. I think he's being anal but I agreed to at least put it in a small hedge to shut him up keep him happy. I'll store the bulbs until next year and plant them in drifts in amongst everything else. There are 1000s of them. Not to mention poppies. Those things self seed like nothing else.

Guest TheCrone

Any poppy seeds going spare? :wub:

*CalamityJane*

I think I still have some from last year Lara, will go and check. You're welcome to what I have. Not sure if I did great job of storing them :blush: . If not, I will have 1000s in a couple of months. They are just starting to bloom now. The red ones always seem to come out first, but there will be some other colours to follow.

I always know when DDs' birthday is approaching, because the poppies and jonquils start to come out. The daffodils and irises will be in full bloom on their birthday :wub: .

Edited by *CalamityJane*

Nora.

Oh I hear you on the poppy seeds. A friend sent me some & I had a hell of a time getting them to germinate, but two did & they flowered & now I have poppies coming up everywhere. These are gorgeous pink, frilly ones.

TheCrone: If you ever want any, I still have heaps of the original seeds my friend posted to me.

Actually: Once my garden is a bit more established I would like to collect seeds & get into swapping. A lot of what I have are heritage, so definitely worth passing on.

blueberry bush companion planted with marigolds

Oh, I didn't know that. I planted my strawberries with the blueberries. And have some borage seeds in trays to whack in also.

I wanted to write an article on companion planting as it's not something I have tried yet, but as I want to have as natural & pesticide free a garden as possible, I'd like to learn as much as I can about it.

NewLifeDirection
we too live in an interesting area. I keep jokingly saying that I am going to plant it up big with rhubarb and put plant tags around saying 'silverbeet':ph34r:
Please explain? What do you mean by 'interesting area'?

Lyra
Please explain? What do you mean by 'interesting area'?

LOL that was me that started that :blush: We live in a suburb that has traditionally been a bit rough: housing commish, long term unemployment etc. But, due to housing prices it's becoming a bit more *ahem* middle class. So, we live in a niceish street in a rough suburb.

As I said in my first post, I am not sure how much of my produce would be reaped by myself

Guest TheCrone

Yes, where I live has traditionally been a working class suburb but now since the property boom here in Perth it is becoming more middle class.

Trouble is that the original occupants and their offspring are still around and don't quite understand why new residents don't appreciate having beer cans lobbed over the fence, hearing 'doof doof' music at all hours, having people stand on the fence and yell

"Hey neighbours, you're gonna f**king hate us later tonight!"

Oh and hearing the neighbours p*ssed as parrots bashing cricket bats on the road and discussing how they are going to beat the crap out of the neighbours down the road.

Hmmmm, what else? Oh yes, they jumped the fence and switched our pool to drain.

Does that explain 'interesting'? It probably explains to some of you why I hate my bogan neighbours!@!!!!!!!

Edited by TheCrone