Sign in to follow this  
facetious-beast

Compression stockings v socks

facetious-beast

I am flying to the US in about 2 weeks at 23 weeks pregnant and my OB has advised me to wear compression stockings. I had a look at some today in the chemist and they have a control panel which I imagine would be quite tight and uncomfortable over my stomach. Does anyone know if there are special maternity compression stockings and where would I buy them? Otherwise are flight socks good enough or should I definitely go the full length stockings?

Mel

dinochild

Mel hi...I know I have not posted in our Due in Group for ages. I got way behind in personals and just haven't had the chance to cath up what with getting three colds in 10 weeks, work, uni and my dd (who also got 3 colds in 10 weeks)...aghh! I do read though, just haven't posted....

Anyway to answer your Q I looked at some of these today as I have these yucky spider veins in my legs which are kind of painful. You can buy toeless compression tights that go up to the top of your thigh - so not over the tummy. They were pretty expensive at about $115 a pair. I didn't buy any but I expect I will have to soon. I just went to a very big chemist that also sells surgical supplies too - you know crutches and all that kind of stuff. You aren't in Sydney are you? This shop was in Caringbah. All the best and enjoy your trip to the US.

Mel

Edited by dinochild

facetious-beast

Mel - thanks for the info - those tights sound much better than the ones I saw. Yes I am in Sydney, but on the north side, so may just try to find a bigger chemist as not sure I'll make it to Caringbah. Have been to a few chemists with no luck, but now I know what I'm looking for it will make it easier. $115 is steep, but I guess it's a necessary evil :glare:

Don't worry about not posting in the DIG. It got a bit manic there for a while and sometimes it's hard to keep up! Hope you are doing well.

Edited by facetious-beast

~mimo~

Can you ask the maternity ward/ob's office if they have a pair you could have?

pink cupcake

After my last IVF cycle I had to wear the toeless thigh-high compression stockings for a few days as was at a risk of blood clots. Considering I had to wear them for a few days, they were actually quite bearable, so should be good for your US trip.

dinochild

Mel, yes I am doing well. 21 weeks now which is amazing. But have had another terrible cold (thanks to my dd who brings them home from preschool) and that knocks me around. Plus my m/s has come back...great.

But not complaining - all is good. I am sure you will find a chemist nearer to you that stocks them.

All the best

Mel

Prickly

The knee high style are the ones my maternity hospital make C-Section mums wear (supposedly for 6 weeks after birth).

They are called TEDS - maybe online pharmacies stock them.

Here we go - the last site does say they must be properly fitted - maybe ask your maternity ward for advice on what size to buy ?

http://www.sportstek.net/prices/products.php?cat=197

http://www.cosmac.com.au/compression/comp_legs.html

http://www.homepharmacy.com.au/products/pr...?ProductID=9788

Lili-Belle

Hi,

I recent bought a pair of thigh-high support stockings from a Chemist in Parramatta Westfields. They were $70.

I have horrible veins on my left leg and I found these very useful! (If I don't wear one on that leg it starts to ache by mid morning!) The brand is Jobst.

Good luck! :D

*julez*

I recently travelled to the US at 23 weeks and used the knee-high compression stockings. Even though they were very tight, they were suprisingly comfortable, and I basically forgot they were there for the entire journey. I bought them at my local chemist for $30.

Have a safe trip!

facetious-beast

Thanks for your replies, ladies :) .

I have a week to keep looking for the thigh high ones and if I don't find them I'll go with the knee highs. I'm not going to stress too much - I don't have a pre-existing condition so its purely prevention. I do this trip twice a year but just want to be extra vigilant this time so will also drink lots of water, move about the cabin and do my in-flight exercises! Might even through a few discreet kegels in there as well :lol: .

brn

Have you looked at any of the sports compression tights - these are what I generally use...Mens ones will sit lower and have a looser waist. You can now get them starting fairly cheap (I know Big W does mens Slazenger ones from about $35).