PuntersWife

No Fish or Egg at Preschools

PuntersWife

At the moment a lot of schools and preschools ban fish and egg in kid's lunches because of children who are allergic to these foods. I want to give my children egg and tuna in their sandwiches as it is very good for them.

Considering that allergies can be cured by a naturopath or acupuncture, is there anyone else who thinks that it is not fair that healthy children miss out on these healthy foods in their lunches, because of a few with allergies?

Maybe what we need is more education about how these food sensitivities can be prevented and resolved rather than throwing the baby out with the bathwater??

Curly Wurly

My DD3 preschool bans, all nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, kiwi fruit, and dairy. I don't have a problem with it. My DD3 has plenty of other opportunities to have these items while not attending preschool. I know of kids that are anaphlaxis to one or two of these items and I know for a fact that they cant be cured by accupuncture or by a naturopath.

I think perhaps you need to do a search on previous posts on EB and get educated on what reactions other children have experienced from being exposed to foods and that includes airborn reactions. Bloody frightning. In the whole 6 years that I have been with EB it still sends chills up my spine the horror of some of the stories.

Better still, post this on the forum "What do you think"

Edited by TanD

PuntersWife

Thanks TanB, I AM pretty educated. And I didn't really need your closed minded opinion.

How do you know for a fact that they can't be cured by a naturopath? Were you there? Have you even been to a naturopath? Have you been to MY naturopath? Don't make sweeping statements if you can't back them up.

I am tired of hearing that "naturopathy doesn't work" and "it can't be cured". I would bet everything I own that my naturopath can cure any child's allergy. And I am not some hippie, I have just seen the evidence.

I am actually starting to think that some people dont' really want themselves or their children be cured, that's why they are so closed minded. Maybe it gets them attention or something, or makes them feel special that the whole world revolves around them. Why you would want to live life like that I don't know.

What I am saying is IT CAN BE CURED. My husband had a dust allergy and asthma and was cured. And children are more responsive so there is absolutely no excuse.

~keirasmummy~

Yes, naturopathy can work. I am a huge lover of natural therapies. I have a child with allergies, and yes, she sees a naturopath, as do I. And I am about to begin studying this myself. However, not all allergies can be cured. Just like modern medicines don't work for some people, natural therapies don't work for some. Some peoples allergies are a lot more dangerous than you seem to realise. I suggest you pop in to the allergy section here, and read a little more. I would not be so quick to accuse others of being close minded. Seems you may have the same problem if you can't accept that there is no cure for some people.

Guest ~Karla~

Can you please let me know of a naturopath in Brisbane who can cure my DS1 of his allergies.... And while they're at it, cure me and my brother too?

I'd love to not have to deal with allergies, especially for DS1....

Edited by ~Karla~

Steggles
And I didn't really need your closed minded opinion.

Pot, meet kettle.

What a ignorant fool you are. Oh yes, these parents love the fear they feel, that their child might so much as catch a whiff of an allergen in the air. Many, many of them have done everything they can to try to help. Perhaps you should crawl back into your blissful little hole and take a few minutes to check in on yourself.

Hope you are a troll.

darlia

Speechless.

Electro

Hi Punterwife..

I like you am no 'tree huggin hippy' but have a healthy relationship with both my naturopath (and chinese herbalist, etc). I too have seen 'minor' allergies subdued with certain treatments. I also attend one of the top allergy centres in the country based at our Childrens hospital and filled with experts continuously looking into the latest theories on lessening the allergy occurances in kids and babies.

However allergies like my son has and that many other little ones have are life threatening and make each and every occasion your child attends an anxiety-filled affair.

By all means feed your kids up on all the things you'd like them to have, but if those things fall into the allergy list at your kinder/CCC etc, it's such a small amount of time for your kids to refrain from consuming them there. It's such a big difference to an allergy kids parent to know that the risk of them dying or suffering a distressing reaction while theyre attending care is lowered. Small sacrifice to your kids to refrain from thos foods for a few hours to gain a sfe environment for those who dont.

My son is aanaphalactic to nuts...but has severe facial bloating and skin reactions to items such as egg and tuna. Here's what happened to him at a childcare centre after he was exposed to tuna being eaten by another child (keep in mind these pics were taken once the reaction had calmed a bit thanks to medication and just given time to cool.

Reubencrecherash002.jpg

I guess until you're the parent of a child this can happen to, we can only try and explain the appreciation we have of parents who are happy to follow the food guidelines and help our childcare experience just be that little less stressful.

Edited by Electro

jusstyce

If evy allergy could be cured by a naturopath I am sure everyone would be seeing one immediately.

I cannot believe that you are upset about not being able to take tuna and egg to daycare. They are only there for a minimal time and surely your children can do without these foods whilst they are there.

These children with allergies are life threatening and their life in more important than your children missing out on tuna and egg whilst in care.

I'm sorry if I sound rude but this is jmo

~keirasmummy~

I had to come back and say something else. Instead of thinking about how much of an inconvenience it is to not be able to send your child to care with these foods, maybe you should be considering yourself lucky that you don't have to watch every move they make to make sure they don't get their hands on something they are allergic to. Your children can still eat these foods at home. For the parents of children with allergies it's not so easy. I struggle every day with what to feed my daughter that wont make her sick. I pray every day that she will grow out of it, or that the work we do with our naturopath does work. I'm terrified of sending her to child care in case some ignorant fool like yourself decides to feed her something she should not have. Spend a couple of months in our shoes and see how you feel.

FeralZombieMum
If every allergy could be cured by a naturopath I am sure everyone would be seeing one immediately.
:yes: AND surely it would be a known "cure" in all parts of the world as there would be plenty of medical evidence and/or anecdotal stories. :blink:

PuntersWife, to me it seems like you are the one who is making "sweeping statements", perhaps do a bit more research?

Just because YOUR naturapath has been able to help you, does not equate to them being able to help ALL children with allergies.

Next we'll be hearing these allergies are all in the mind. :wacko:

Edited for typo

Edited by ZombieMum

Diamond123

Hi PuntersWife

Who is your naturopath?

Maybe you can share his/her details in the Allergy and Intollerance forum.

I am 110% sure there will be a lot of thankful parents in that forum.

As an educated person, you won't mind continuing your education and checking these links out, will you?

http://www.cs.nsw.gov.au/rpa/allergy/resou...qsandadvice.pdf

http://www.aaeclinics.com.au/Allergies/Con...onsTreated.aspx

(Please read very carefully, and pay special attention to the last section of that page starting with "PLEASE BE ADVISED").

Happy reading!

Hope you have a lovely weekend...

pipnpop

Punterswife...

Interesting approach you have there. Not one I necessarily agree with actually. In fact, I totally disagree with you. But, as it's your right to post your feelings and beliefs on this subject, thus it is also mine. So, considering you were so forthright in your objections, here are mine on the other side of the pendulum.

I have two beautiful little sons, aged almost five and two years of age. They both have anaphylaxis. This means a LIFE THREATENING reaction to certain foodstuffs. We are not talking a few little red bumps. We are not talking about a sniffle or reddish eyes. We are not talking about a bit of an itch. Handing my son a tissue and telling him to wipe his nose isn't going to stop a reaction once his body has gone into a full blown anaphylaxis.

We are talking about LIFE and DEATH. You know, the difference between a heart beating and a heart stopping.

There is a considerable difference between food allergy and anaphylaxis. This has totally changed our life. I live in perpetual fear of one of them having a reaction. I have to carry four epipens on me EVERYWHERE we go. This my dear, is not in a vain attempt to gain 'attention' as you so kindly and eloquently put it. I'm a pretty secure woman within myself, my life and my marriage. I don't feel the need to 'beat up' as it were my sons' life threatening allergies for a bit of 'hey LOOK AT ME' time. I feel sad you think this way of us 'allergy mums' but hey, you are entitled to your opinion after all. BUT..because I am secure in myself and my beliefs on this subject, I'm going to let that one go through to the keeper. You're a lucky girl this time. I know some awesomely strong and amazing 'allergy Mums' and none of us does this for a laff missus. I can assure you of that.

Here's a little scenario for you-I'm sure you'll read it with all the cynicism you can muster, but please, indulge me and read along.

One day last May, my then 3yr old son decided to help himself to a single cashew nut in a Woolworths store (you know the raw nuts that they have in the fruit and vege section in plastic containers where you lift up the lid to help yourself) and it almost ended his life.

Within 20 seconds to one minute, he was violently coughing and wheezing. His face started to swell so that he was almost unrecognisable, he turned a purplish colour, and had trouble speaking as his throat was so swollen. Remember this little guy was three years old. He was making sounds like a seal when he tried to talk. Can you imagine this punterswife? Can you imagine your own sweet child morphing into something horrendous like this in front of your eyes?

He was so distressed and was saying thickly thru his lips ' help me Mummy, help me'. His top lip started to swell so much , it was about touching the base of his nose. My sweet little guy looked like he had gone a few rounds with Mike Tyson. His eyes had swollen to slits. He was covered with huge welts on all the skin I could see, and then he wet himself. I have NEVER been so damn frightened in my whole life. I was wildly looking around for someone to help us, to do something..people just stood there in shock. I had to leave my whole trolley of shopping and run.

I picked up my toddler under one arm, my 3yr old under the other, left all the shopping and ran as fast as I could to the car with my son vomiting under my arm along the way.

He had not had any anaphylactic reactions before. I had no idea really what was happening at that stage. I just guessed it have been an allergic reaction to the cashew.

I could not believe that people in the store just stood and watched me, no one offered to help me with my bag or my children or just to see if my son was ok. I guess people don't want to become involved. Would you have stood there punterswife and watched us, thinking we were doing it for the attention? Well, would you? Cause that's fun right?

Watching your child lose control of his bodily functions gives you a good giggle doesn't it. Geez, I give my sons nuts on a weekly basis now that there's not much on the tele!!!

I eventually got my son to the ED, where they had to give him two doses of adrenaline to bring him around. They had him on oxygen, heart monitors, you name it...this cherub of mine was so little, he was swamped by the big hospital bed.

The mask was massive on his face. He had oral steroids, they kept us there for hours. It was the single most -and I will bold this -TERRIFYING thing I have ever seen.

The long and the short of this is, if there was ANY cure for my sons, I would move heaven and earth and sell my soul to the devil to CURE my boys. Do you think I want for this to happen again..to watch my son struggle to breathe? To have him so limp he is like a rag doll?

I am very open to alternative therapies. I have used homeopathy and also taken my children to see my naturopath. Neither of these alternative practioners have ever said they could CURE them, or that I was making it up for attention. They both recognise anaphylaxis as a very REAL medical emergency.

I'm sorry, but for all your bluster, I do not agree with you one whit. I feel sickened that my sons will have a parent like you in their class who is so consumed with their child missing out on egg and fish that they will deliberately send it to school no matter what. The outcome punterswife? You may get to pick your child up at the end of that day in your car, but I may get to pick mine up in a pine box.

beckandcall

So Punterswife

"I would bet everything I own that my naturopath can cure any child's allergy."

You would be willing to cover the costs of anyone who tried your naturopath but was not cured of their anaphylactic or other allergies then???

Most practitioners of natural medicine will not treat those who are anaphylactic (check out Ailime's post), and those who do, are generally considered by the medical fraternity as either reckless or fraudulent.

How dare you suggest that parents who chose to believe in conventional medicine don't want their children to be cured.

Ducky*Fuzz

I know. Let's just build up an anaphylactic childs' immunity by giving them just a teeny bit at a time! That would work.

:rant::sick:

"I would bet everything I own that my naturopath can cure any child's allergy."

Would you bet YOUR life?

pipnpop - that is one of the most horribly distressing stories I have heard. Your poor baby.

Edited by ~*MESS*~

~JASB~

I'm horrified :huh:

I AM pretty educated

Your post here proves not.

And I didn't really need your closed minded opinion.

There is only 2 posts in this thread that are closed minded - post 1 and post 3.

I am actually starting to think that some people dont' really want themselves or their children be cured, that's why they are so closed minded. Maybe it gets them attention or something, or makes them feel special that the whole world revolves around them. Why you would want to live life like that I don't know.

That paragraph is the worst thing I have EVER read on EB ... and I've been here 6 years so I've read some pearlers. How frightening for parents of anaphylaxis children to know that somebody like you might have kids at thier school :angry: I can not imagine the terror those parents go through every day, knowing that something in your child's lunchbox could KILL their child. That is not being dramatic, that is FACT.

PuntersWife, I am BEGGING you to read pipnpop's post, read it again, and again, and imagine putting yourself in her shoes. I've just had tears rolling down my face reading it and just imagining the horror she went through that day.

Surely you can read stories like that and then admit you are WRONG.

I don't even have a child with allergies, yet I am stunned and horrified by your attitude.

Food allergies CAN KILL ... It's not rocket science :wacko:

TND

completely speechless...that you could be so closed minded

I have researched every theory and thought out there to 'cure' my son and as yet there is none.

every naturopath I have had discussions with will not even go near an anaphylatic child.

Tarin

CheeseRobot

I hope you're big enough OP to take on board the moving and comprehensive replies after your ignorant posts.

It so often happens that people who are ill informed take the high horse on something they know nothing about.

Can't say anything else as words cannot express my anger at your attitude.

PuntersWife

Did I say I packed fish and egg in my kid's lunch? Of course not. People, read the post properly. Some people are just so angry when they hear an opinion that might differ from their own. It's a horrible thing for a child to have an allergy. Which is why I am saying, I would turn over every stone to find something to help them if it was my children.

I asked my naturopath this week if she could help kids with allergies, and she said categorically 'yes' and I don't doubt her for a second.

I would be happy to give the name of my naturopath to anyone who would like to PM me. However she has become so popular since I started seeing her that she has closed her books to new clients (however there is a waiting list for that) and has a 2 month waiting list for existing clients. She has a special machine that not many naturopaths have, maybe if you call her office her assistant will give you the names of the others who have one in your area. I expect every person here whose child has allergies to PM me for her name.

By the way, my husband had allergies and asthma most of his life and acupuncture cured that. So that's another option (however it is hard for children I know).

~JASB~

Oh we all read your post properly, don't doubt that for a second. I actually read your posts twice before I replied to make sure I wasn't misunderstanding you - because your attitude to this is so ignorant that I thought for sure I'd mis-read.

Have YOU read pipnpop's post? Have YOU put yourself in her position? It's obvious that you haven't.

A naturopath CANNOT cure anaphylaxis. She may have come up with something for certain allergies, I don't doubt that, but you CANNOT throw every allergy in the same basket.

I still cannot believe that you think allergy parents enjoy their children's illness because of the attention it brings. Yer, I'm sure pipnpop is off to buy some cashews for her son right now - just so she can tell another story of him nearly losing his life. Have you actually read what you said? It's absurd :angry:

I don't understand the big deal - so your son can't have his tuna at daycare - he can still have it at home, nobody is telling you he can't have it at all. Your attitude is ridiculously ignorant.

Tarshy77

I am SPEACHLESS, REALLY angry and HORRIFIED at your beliefs! There is a huge difference between ordinary dust and asthma type allergies and anaphylaxis! (I am a SEVERE asthmatic who has been hosptialised more times than I'd care to remember so I think I know how serious that can be too!)

I would LOVE my kinder to to nut/seafood/egg free - would certainly make my life next year a little less stressful! Unfortunately though the council has decided they can only 'encourage' parents to not send nuts/eggs - That means that we as parents are left to STRESS that a parent can be as ignorant as someone like you!

I am REALLY worried about kinder next year - and at the moment I'm not sure if I can risk sending him. DS2 is even more of a challenge HE CANNOT TOLLERATE ANY FOODS AT ALL!!!

Life with him can be hell at times. He reacts to airborne, through contact with other people, indirect contact (toys etc). There is an ever growing list of things we cannot cook in the house anymore because DS2 reacts BADLY - and he's not even close to or eating the food!

Do you think I (and the other parents of children with severe allergies/anaphylaxis) would try to 'hype' the condition up so to speak. Most (if not all) would GLADLY do anything (including taking on the allergy themselves) if they could help their children in any way!

I have come across many parents whose children have MILD intollerances - maybe an upset stomach or a slight rash - They can sometimes 'over dramatise' the condition - But parents of children with SEVERE allergies know that it is a LIFE or DEATH situation -with the smallest of particles of food being potentially a killer.

PLEASE rethink your opinions and do some more research. I believe naturapath's and other non traditional medical people have their place, and can help - but unfortunately I don't believe can CURE true allergies/anaphylaxis

A VERY scared mum for her 2 boys!

TASH

P.S. You will find that all the responses here have been civil - I would guess that if you posted it in WDYT that MANY of the replies would not be so nice!!!

Edited by Tarshy77

grumpy monkey

OP, we all pay lip service to people being entitled to their opinion.

BUT

You are plain wrong. Sorry.

I am pleased that you are in such a fortunate position to not recognise the horror of such sweeping statements as allergy parents being attention seekers and ignoring cures that are ready and waiting for them :wacko: . I hope your luck is never challenged.

Ask your naturopath again if they can cure anaphylaxis. The answer will be no. If it is yes then find a new naturopath, she is a loose cannon.

Edited by krisp

icsipixie

Yes, I am a naturopath (and also a nurse).

Yes, I have a child with allergies.

No, not all children (including my child) can be cured of their allergies, this is because not all people are the same and for your naturopath to suggest that she could help all children proves to me that she is not very educated herself, I know I will not be able to reason with you but please be careful when taking advice from someone so narrow minded as to think that all allergies are treatable!

the humming cat
I asked my naturopath this week if she could help kids with allergies, and she said categorically 'yes' and I don't doubt her for a second.

Helping a child with there symptoms is completley different to providing a cure.

Dani

Girls, give it up truly ~ she's not worth the effort. This quote is oh so apt....

2004012130_Display-35.gif

OP - my 4 yr old DD has coeliacs which is often classed as an "allergy to gluten".....ask your Naturopath if she can sort that one out for me would you? No, didn't think she could. Derrr.

Gaah.gif

Edited by Dani