Sign in to follow this  
JennAN

How much breast milk to express for a feed?

JennAN

Hi all

My sister in law has offered to look after DS while DH and I do something on our own. I'm not sure if I'm ready to be away from him just yet, but that is another issue. What I was wondering is how much expressed breast milk I should leave with her to feed DS? DS is 7.5 weeks old. Does anyone know how you work out how much milk he would need per feed?

kylesj

Hi, my little boy is 4 months old and I express 150mls for one feed. At 3 months old I was expressing 80 to 100mls for one feed. When I contacted Breastfeed Australia they told me about a formula that I could use but every baby is different.

Kylie

P.S. I'm not ready to leave my baby with anyone except DH (which I have to do when I go to work in the evening).

goingcrackers

The formula to work out how much to feed for a full term baby is

150mls per kilo then divide by the amount of feeds per day.

so if your baby is 5 kilos and feeds 6 times in a 24hour period you would - 150 x 5 = 750mls divide this by 6 = 125mls in the bottle

My daughter was premmie and when she was in hospital they used this formula to work out the correct quota for each feed. (she was on a higher amount being premmie -180ml per kilo) The nurses advised of the 150ml for when we brought her home as she is now at 'term' - and we still like to give one bottle a day. But be warned they will not always take it or they might want more if they are hungrier at that feed more then normal. I would have a couple of practice goes before leaving her as she might not like the bottle. I would also get your DH or DS to do them so she learns to feed off someone besides you.

lorywhol

I agree with the formula PP used. I have used this too and my DD is 7weeks 4days.

The best hint a midwife gave me was to not put the total amount in one bottle. As once they have started it you have to discard the rest. She suggested making 50ml-70ml bottles - that way if he makes it through only one, you have the other one on standby for later on or if he only wants one bottle the other can be frozen.

Good luck.