aquagirl07

ABC Learning raises fees

Julie3Girls
More media hype.

I know with my centre, this is so not news .. we have been receiving letters home for several weeks about fees. The price increases are also being done by looking at each centre individually.

I'll be finding out about our centre later today .. $62 sounds ok to me, that's only a $2 increase for me. And still puts the centre $12 cheaper than the other one I was going to use.

ETA ... ok, this stinks. $10 a day increase! From $60 to $70, that's a 16% increase !!!!
And since I'm also losing my CCB due to budget changes, I will be paying $74 extra a week to send one to childcare, and one to preschool. Edited by Julie3Girls

kiwijakesmum
I'll be interested to see what it means for us (tomorrow) as we already pay $62 per day.

Edited for spelling Edited by kiwijakesmum

KD7
We're not at an ABC centre but our centre is putting fees up as well - by $3 per day per child sad.gif . They said that it would coincide with the increase of CCB in July to help parents with the cost. Over the past two years our centre has been putting up their fees twice a year blink.gif

winterbaby
Yep, was certainly news to me - I knew the fees were going up (have received a letter about that), but no idea what to.

We currently only pay $52 per day, so the 20% increase at our centre would just about kill us.

I actually found out what the price was going up to about 15 minutes before I saw it on news.com.au from my SIL who works at an ABC centre... She rang us as soon as she knew so they didn't even tell the staff in some centres prior to today obviously.

KD7 - $3/day is reasonable, all centres increase fees in July. Our ABC centre raised fees 3 times this year just gone though - by 50c - $2/day each time.

globetrotter
I would love $3 a day. We were just notified the other day that our centre was going up by $9 per day or $20 per week!

Ouch!!

BTW it is not ABC but is a small privately run centre

4littlemonkeys
I would love $3 a day. We just found out the centre we were hoping to send ours to just went up $10 per day. For three kids this is a fortune.. Needless to say I have been ringing around other centres.

Wous333
I imagine this place will be flooded after bedtime tonight. We get 63% CCB, and our cost per day is going up $10. So the centre's fee must be going up a staggering amount. After the CCTR (which I don't think should be any of ABC's business) we will now actually be worse off by $5 a day - might not sound like a lot - but the Govt was trying to help not make things worse - it has backfired on them badly. We now need to come up with an extra $30 a week.

NOT HAPPY ABC rant.gif

~Marina~
I also only found out about the increase today. So now I am on the hunt to find another centre or keep her home. As I cant afford the increase.

Mine has gone from $36.50/fortnight to $76/fortnight.

Marina

unwind
Ok, I'm really confused. Here is what my letter says:

Based on your current Child Care Benefit (CCB) assessment, your new parent gap fee and estimated out-of-pocket cost are detailed below.

Attendance days 3
Parent gap fee $62.08
50% CCTR $31.04
Parent out of pocket cost $31.04

Does this mean that I will have to pay $62.08 each week?

If it does I certainly will have to look for another daycare as well because we won't be able to afford it. At the moment I pay $71.66 a fortnight so if the amount is what I think it is that is an increase of $52 a fortnight. That is insane.

I think we should all email Deputy Prime Minister Julia Gillard. It said in that news article that they are keeping an eye on daycare centres who unreasonably increase their fees.

lozaloxx_2
cry1.gif cry1.gif cry1.gif

I have been crying and pulling my hair out trying to crunch the number for this.

We knew our fees would go up - i worked out worst case senario being 10% and figured we will be fine...not great but fine.

Letter home reads an increase of $10/day which eqates to 18% rant.gif
We have 3 in 3days per week so "to minimise out-of-pocket expenses" ABC are chargin us $90 more PER WEEK.

I am honestly hoping that the "power" the goverment threatens to use is more fruitful than the fuel watch BS!

ETA - MSG, yes hun, you will need to pay $62.08 to get 50% back in 3 months time. Edited by lozaloxx_2

Ianthe
Our private run centre went up $3 a day. They guarantee no more rises for the next year too. It has been that was for the last 5 years that I have had kids in that centre.

Yvette

~Marina~
lozzaloxx - If it makes you feel any better I to have been crying my eyes out since I found out. I almost broke down in the Centre when I asked what my new out of pocket expense would be.

Marina

Ducky*Fuzz
My friend has known for about a week. They said they were not putting up their fees until next year, but I think it will go up a lot because they haven't put them up now.

tils
Unfortunately that will be the first of the rises. Almost guarenteed it will go up again come Dec/Jan. One of my parents has her 2 youngest in a centre (I have her oldest in FDC afterschool care) her fortnightly fee has gone from $212.00 to $304.00. As a single mum that is a kick in her pants. And as she does not work she can not claim back 50% of her fees. To the families that do work at least you will get your first payment back from the goverment in October as it is now being paid quarterly.

Bumble~bee
Ours have gone up $8 per day, I am not happy.

What annoys me is the kids don't benefit from it as we pay for everything they do. Ours is having a 1st birthday shortly & they expect us to pay $35 per child for 2 hrs entertainment.

It sounds like they are making the most of the ccr increase or making us pay for there losses on sharemarket.

Also story on ninmsn today saying they were standardising fees at $62 what a load of BS, I would have been happy with that but an extra $8 per day is outrageous.

Leanne

Scoobie
I work for abc and my son is in my centre. I have no perks, i pay the same price as everybody else. I am so upset, im a single mum trying to work my butt off to support my child and now i have to pay over 100 a week to have him there while my wage DOES not go up at all, i'm sick of working for peanuts for abc, all they do is take money from me and i feel like my whole life runs around them! cry1.gif

lozaloxx_2
that stadardising BS doesn't make sence. It sounds like a loop hole they found!

You can't tell me that a small country town would have the same overheads and operating cost as a centre in a metropolitan area.

Julie3Girls
I actually sent them an email, stating how they have made the newspaper article an absolute joke ... if they are trying to standardise to below the federal recommendation of $64 a day, why are they increasing to $70????

To the families that do work at least you will get your first payment back from the goverment in October as it is now being paid quarterly

True. But if I didn't work, I wouldn't be using childcare.

The other thing the director of my centre told me today was that they are changing their daily rates depending on how many days childcare you use. The daily rate goes DOWN if you use 4 or 5 days childcare.
Which is directly opposing what the govt does with the CCB, where you get slightly more CCB if you only use part-time care (3 days or less). The govt was trying to encourage part-time work, and help with the costs as part time work often gets paid less.

Arcee
I have been alternating between anger and tears since I got my letter this evening.

I have to find an extra $93 a fortnight, thats a 20% increase. Im a single parent with a mortgage who already is on a tight budget.I dont know what Im going to do now.

My sister in laws fees went up $160 a fortnight for 2 children plus a small increase in before and after school care for her eldest.  She is in tears as she is going to have to go back to work full time in order to be able to afford this. Edited by jojo13

Scoobie
Thanks mandy,
I've been working as a casual for over 12 months with abc now and they told me that they only give staff discount to PPT staff members. They have asked me to go ppt a few times but the drop in pay rate is hugge and for me i'm better off on the casual rate.
They've tried to force everyone to go ppt cos it saves them money rant.gif

KD7
OMG!! $10 increase per day is outrageous. How can they get away with this rant.gif I won't complain about our centre's $3 per day increase now blush.gif

Honestly, this really sh#*s me that the govt increases CCB and increases CCTR and then these daycare centres come in and increase their fees so they cash in on the govts extra benefits which are supposed to help the families not the greedy daycare centres rant.gif

I think everyone should flood the govt with emails of complaint (or the ACCC) to force them to look into it. Not that they'd probably do anything anyway mad.gif

***TheBlendedBunch***
i was paying $900 a month for ABC here in townsville for one child 5 days a week, and as a PP said, we were paying for everything - we had to supply all food ie breakfast, morning tea, lunch etc when they had little actcicities for the kids, we had to bring a plate of something, were expected to pitch in for fundraisers and birthdays you had to pay for, so we opted to celebrate DDs bdays out of the centre.
Then i fell pregnant and got "let go" from my casual job on the sly - gave me a cop out excuse they couldnt afford me, so i had to take DD out of care as it was an expense we couldnt afford on one ncome on top of everything else.
So now we go to playgroup, friends playgrounds etc, and funnily enough, living has become alot cheaper without DD in childcare.

It really makes you question if it is worth one or both the parents returning to work after staying at home if the income only covers the childcare cost - i mean really! rant.gif Edited by ***TheBlendedBunch***

Xanadu25
DS goes to an ABC. Got the letter today advising increase of $20 p/wk (for 3 days use). I think this is about the 5th increase they have had. After this bub is born, I will be decreasing time in daycare as its getting too exxy.

I have 12mths to number crunch but it hardly looks worth going back if whatever I do make goes on petrol, there will be nothing left.

Seems like you are given with one hand and its taken with the other sad.gif So much for encouraging ppl back to the workforce.

Wonder if the increase will cover Kelloggs rice bubbles for breakky rather than Black & Gold brand. wacko.gif

Obesa cantavit
We are not in an ABC centre. It is privately owned and run through. Our fees went up $2 a day at the beginging of the year. A $10 a day increase seems VERY excessive. Another reason I would not be using ABC personally.

What annoys me is the kids don't benefit from it as we pay for everything they do. Ours is having a 1st birthday shortly & they expect us to pay $35 per child for 2 hrs entertainment.

we had to supply all food ie breakfast, morning tea, lunch etc when they had little actcicities for the kids, we had to bring a plate of something, were expected to pitch in for fundraisers and birthdays you had to pay for, so we opted to celebrate DDs bdays out of the centre.

oomg.gif Really?? We do not even have working bees. Our fees pay for everything including the gardener to come and mow the lawns. Edited by DancingPrincesses