Sign in to follow this  
JJV

'down there' question - what does it feel like after birth

JJV

Hello,

I have been wondering for a while now, but didn't want to ask... :blush:

What does it feel like 'down there' after giving birth. Does it hurt, ache for days, weeks? What is it like for women who tear, and for women who don't?

I am preparing myself for my first vaginal delivery (my DS was a CS) and I have no idea what to expect.

After my CS I felt fine, apart from being a bit sore in the tummy, my 'lady bits' were fine and in tact. I only bled for 5 days and was intimate with my DH 2 weeks later.

I am really curious to know what the feeling is like and how much bleeding to expect as I really don't know what is going to happen :unsure:

THANK YOU :blush:

bearclaire81

Hi There!

I have had two vaginal births, the first time I had an episitomy, I was a little sore the first day after birth but after you have been to the loo a few times it will start to improve. It took me about 4 weeks to recover and the stitches to completely dissolve, DH and I were very careful once we decided to be intimate and all was fine.

And the second time I didnt tear at all (even after a 10lb baby), I only bled for about a week and every thing went back to normal after that. I think the key is when you are in labour and the head starts to crown don't push just breathe in little pants and you are less likely to tear.

I wish you all the best with your labour, it really is a wonderful experience and no matter how much the contractions hurt when you hold your baby in your arms :wub: you will forget the whole lot!

~Claire

~Mrs~Frenchy~

I had a second degree tear with my son, he was delivered by vacuum extraction. For the first few days I used to tip warm water down there when I did a wee because I was terrified it would sting, it didn't though.

I was very tender for quiet a few weeks but it wasn't unbearable. I just sat down very gingerly for while :tongue: Once my stitches dissolved I felt a lot more comfortable.

I bled for six weeks post birth, I think that's pretty normal though.

Overall it wasn't nearly as bad as I had expected, more uncomfortable than painful iykwim?

Wishing you lots of luck :)

MadamFrou-Frou

Mine just stung for a week or so and was tender (I had 2nd degree tear and stitches). The worst problem for me was a sore back for weeks after a posterior labour and epidural.

********TMI BELOW********

My husband said that I felt different at first (12 weeks later) but not after a couple more months.

Caramel Queen
I bled for six weeks post birth, I think that's pretty normal though.

My midwife said that it is a bit of a myth that it's normal to bleed for this long. :unsure: She said you should bleed red for 5-7 days tops, and then brown for 5-7 days. If you go to brown and then go back to red you should go back for a checkup because it could mean infection/retained products.

megmog

The best way to describe how I felt was that it felt Heavy for me. I was very tender and couldnt walk that great (I didnt tear) but I had that pelvic problem and could barely walk before I gave birth. I felt like I riden a horse for a week!

~Mrs~Frenchy~
you should bleed red for 5-7 days tops, and then brown for 5-7 days. If you go to brown and then go back to red you should go back for a checkup because it could mean infection/retained products.

Plainjayne - It was only bright red and heavy for the first week or so and then a pink/brown light flow for the next five weeks. My GP said it was perfectly normal. If it had gotten heavy again I wiould have been back to the hospital in a flash!

JJV

thanks for all the replies.

I hope I don't tear..., but, baby has to come out one way or another :lol:

Does anyone know the difference between the different degrees of tears?

1st :) 2nd :mellow: 3rd :( 4th :o etc.

My DH has been hearing so many stories about the sex side of things from his work mate. He is scared :rolleyes: heehee

katrina24

Hi there, I've had one birth so far and it was a vaginal delivery. It was very fast with the 2nd stage only 15 minutes. I had a 'medium' sized episiotomy which I think would be kind of like a 2nd degree tear. After the birth I felt a bit bruised for a couple of days and a little bit heavy. I didn't have any problems sitting or walking around and had no problems with the stitches recovering.

I would highly recommend taking a hairdryer to the hospital to cool air dry your stitches (if you have any) - this was a great tip from a MW last time and I had a great recovery.

I think a 1st degree tear is just a tiny tear whereas a 4th degree tear (not that common I don't think) is all the way forward and back IYKWIM?

Best of luck

CamelToe
a 4th degree tear (not that common I don't think) is all the way forward and back IYKWIM?

OMG *insert fainting smilie*

Note to self: do not read threads about tearing ;)

cherub28

:laugh: LOL at Cameltoe.

I have had 2 vaginal births. Presumably this one will be too.

After #1 I had to sit down to sneeze otherwise I felt like my insides were going to fall out. Didn't happen with #2 tho.

No stitches with either, felt swollen and bruised and it stung for the first few wees. (a good tip is to wee in the shower.

Oh... and the first time I do #2 after delivery? Scares me. :ph34r: Mwahahahaha!!!

Oh and I am also a 6 week bleeder.

Melly98

Hello

I had a posterior,vacuum extraction and epi. I tore badly, too many stitches to count. Took about 2-3 weeks to sit comfortably, I bled for 6 weeks and didn't let DH near me for 4 months, actually took 6 months to feel as normal as I did before birth. But saying that here I am pregnant again ;) and willing to go through it all again. :lol:

This time I am going to try some perinial massage. :blush:

melly

adelaidegoddess

Cameltoe, my best buddy had a massive tear as described but even she recovered pretty quickly and is currently contemplating baby no. 7. No permanent damage!

I have had stitches for no 1 then none for 2 and 3 even though they were way larger. DS3 had a 38.5 cm head but I recovered faster than ever!

I always try to lay down as much as I can in the first week. Whenever I am not feeding, and even sometimes when I am, I try to lay instead of sit. I always feel a bit achey that first week.

Incidently after DS1 and many stitches, I used the hospital's frozen ice tubes inside my pad to ease the swelling. I noticed IKEA sell an acrylic ice tray that looks the right shape! (I think they are really meant for champagne fluted cocktails!)

Also eat lots of fibre (wholemeal bread, fruit and veg) and drink lots of water post delivery. You want that first no.2 to be as gentle as possible.

Edited by adelaidegoddess

milasmum

My bits felt fine. I had stitches and they were sore till they dissolved.

I didnt get the stingy wee but I still had a catheter in for 3 days. Ural is meant to be great at stopping the stinging. I found lots of showers a godsend for when the stitches felt tight and were pulling.

My butt on the other hand was worse for wear. I had really bad haemorhoids and struggled to sit down even after 6 weeks. :cry:

CamelToe

OMG I just had to come back in for seconds! :ph34r: (sadomasichist I am)

I'm trying not to think to much about things like this....as DH said to me when I was sweating about things like tearing, stiches and 18 hour labours "You can worry about that once we get one in there. After that you can worry about how you're going to get it out" :glare:

Thanks DH - your compassion and empathy is amazing! :rolleyes:

Edited by CamelToe

Obesa cantavit

Compared to the pain after my c/s (which wasnt much really) I was suprised at how, uncomfortable it was. Not exactly pain but think sitting down after a weekend away pre kids ;)

I had a forcepts delivery and episiotomy (posteriour bub) so traumatic in its own way I supose.

Probably felt uncomfortable for a week(??) mind you I spent most of my second week sitting by DD's humidicrib in ICU :cry: on those hard plastic hospital issue chairs so that did not help!

and DH hasnt complained :lol: but 2weeks! Eeekkk Im not game for that, too sleep deprived :tongue:

censura carnero

I had a fanny wrecker and it hurt for 6 weeks. I thought that was normal until I went for my check up at 6 weeks and he told me it was not normal. He was able to fix me up very quickly. Not sure what he did down there as I refused to acknowledge it. :unsure:

You get good pain releif drugs and icepacks to put in your undies in the early days.

Don't worry about it as the baby has to come out some way and the euphoria you feel at looking at your baby certainly helps any pain.'

My top tip for pooing after the birth is to drink milk with added fibre to help things along. :grin:

AuntyK

Every birth is different. I have had all different types of sensations afterwards, from no pain at all, just a bit tender, to needing to wear wet and frozen pads for a couple of days to reduce the pain and swelling!

I guess the main tip is, that no matter how good you feel, take it easy for a few days. Yeah, walk around, keep moving, but don't go out on a shopping spree your first day after birth (yes, I did this and regretted it pretty quickly!). Just take it easy until you really have recovered (when my mother had us she couldn't put her feet on the floor for the first 10 days!).

I find my bleeding stops fully around the 3-4 week mark.

Also remember that for some people the afterbirth pains get worse the more babies you have. So be prepared for that just in case!

K

tonimum

:lol::lol: Finnicles

I had one of those to (fanny wreker)

I tore the whole way and i felt it even with an Epi and i could not sit down properly for weeks and had to sit on 2 pilows just to sit down.

My stitches took about 5-6 weeks to heal, but everyone is different.

Iam hoping when i do have another that i will not tear :pray:

And what a relief those ice packs are :D

bonsscraps
I had a fanny wrecker and it hurt for 6 weeks.

OMG that is one of the funniest things ever :rofl::rofl::rofl:

BEST tip for stingy wees- try to lean as far forward as you can, i found that helped ALOT!

I bled for about 6 weeks, maybe a little less.

I didn't tear, only graised, but i don't *remember* having any problems walking or sitting.

we b'ded 1 week after DS2 was born, though DH was SH*TTING himself. :laugh:

smithsholidayroad

hi there,

I had a 3rd degree tear with Cooper as he was vacuumed out. Honestly at the time i did not even feel it as i was just glad to have him out.

As I had stitches they had to be checked for about 5 days while i was in hospital.

It stung a little to wee and I took metamucil from fear of things hurting but it was fine.

It was prob more the rest of my body that felt like i had been hit by a truck! just a little tender when sitting down.

Best of luck and wishes to you

Bron

Battingeyelashes

I'm pretty sure the degrees is more about the depth than that is torn.

I had 3rd degree tears to my cervix and all of my outer vagina area. If it's there, I tore it in half. I was stitched up for over an hour (no anasthetic :closedeyes: ). The reason I did such a lot of damage is that I pushed when I wanted to this meant that I gave birth at about 6 or 7 cms. My birth was pretty traumatic and is no way the norm.

I guess you just have to make sure that someone is managing your labour. Push when they tell you to push, stop when they say to. They are the professionals so usually know how to get you out of there in one piece.

Blizz

This brings it all back!

I had 48 stitches, most of them internal, and even though it really hurt the first 2-3 days, once the bruising and swelling were gone and the stitches had dissolved I recovered very quickly.

I LOVED the icepacks the hospital provided. #1's stung for the first few days, but like one of the PP's mentioned, leaning forward helps.

I was terrified of #2's for ages, I was on heavy iron tablets and was constipated despite taking extra fibre. That wasn't much fun!

Sex - as far as I can tell (and DH agrees) it's all back to normal. But that probably took 2-3 months all up.