SarahBeara

Unpasteurised milk?

SarahBeara

I was at a market on the weekend and a guy I was buying herbs off (he is a friend of DH's) started talking about unpasteurised milk and how good it is for kids - helps with allergies, good for gut, even lactose intolerants can drink it etc. So we decided to buy some (it was being sold as a bath milk as apparently the guy who sells it can't promote it as a drinking product).

Anyway, DS and DD are drinking it and they can't tell the difference. Just wondering though, is this dangerous? I have since read that it can contain E Coli and some other nasties. But basically the info I am finding is either "you are going to die drinking this" or "this is the best thing you can ever drink". Does anyone know more about this?

jezieka

Well was it not the ONLY form of milk before they bought in pasteurizing milk. If i had a cow this is what my family would drink.

SarahBeara

That is what I was thinking logically, but then reading (yes, I googled it :blush:) some of the articles scared me a bit. Thanks for the reply.

precious1

You are obviously talking about "Cleopatra's"...

I have been using this 'raw' milk now for 4 years and will never change (except when the supply is low - which sometimes happens and it is hard to get :blush: )

I cannot highly recommend this enough. Yes a few vistors get a scare when they read "sold as bath milk only" :tongue: They do think twice at putting it in their tea :lol:

It is an extremely popular milk for people in the know and sometimes very hard to get. It is also organic, unpasteurised and unhomogenised also.

I confidently drank this pre-pregnancy, after conception and whilst breastfeeding. My son drank this also undiluted after 12 months and still drinks it today.

It is very creamy and really delicious and I would have more concern from drinking soy milk. There is quite a bit of interesting info on how soy is not good for you especially for boys...

Just make sure you keep it always refrigerated (obviously) and maybe not store it in the fridge door - otherwise enjoy it!

The reason it says "bath milk only" is due to the laws of not being able to sell unpasteurised milk. :blush:

beccaj74

Dh was raised on cows milk here on the farm. My MIL said she used to just water it down and give it a short boil at first but gradually they just drank it as is.

He and his 3 brothers are healthy as our very robust looking bulls and very rarely get sick. We also grow alot of our own veges and kill our own cows so we are pretty lucky. We just bought a new milking cow too that DH will start on next week so that will be perfect for DS who will be old enough to start on Cows milk

Bec

~Edie~

Can you get it in South Australia :blush:

Xiola

Unless I can see the cow that the milk is coming from there's no way that I would drink upasteurised milk.

Mum2NE1
Unless I can see the cow that the milk is coming from there's no way that I would drink upasteurised milk.

You cant tell if a cow has TB just by looking at it & theres probably more nasty bacteria & germs on the farmers hands than on the cows teats, why would getting a look at the cow change your mind?

I would love to have a source of live milk (I'm also in SA)

I have 2 cows of my own just don't have the time or energy to get them preggers & have to milk them regularly.

*newmum*

HI there,

I had to give my DD unpasteurised Goat's milk from 6months as there were such terrible feeding problems and some sickness. I was afraid but desperate and she thrived on this. I was too afraid to tell people that this was what I was giving her because its considered wrong by most people however she was much healthier and actually drank this rather than starving herself.

blissfulqueenb

I have been expressing breast milk for my 3 year old's cereal as often as I can manage because I am so concerned about the health risks in that other processed "white water" they call milk that you buy in the shops. After extensive research, I've come to realise that there is absolutely no danger in drinking clean, well stored non-pastuerised, non homogenised milk. In fact, there have been more cases of listeria, Ecoli etc from Pastuerised milk than there have been from the other! Not to mention that "raw milk" doesn't go off like processed milk does, it just turns to cottage cheese. ANY MILK is dangerous if the collection/storage methods are not correct, just like you wouldn't eat chicken that wasn't prepared/stored properly. CLEAN unpasteurised, unhomogenised raw milk is the best decision you can make. The nurients/vitamins that are removed from milk by the processes involved in pasteurisation are scary. UHT milk is THE WORST because of the super high temperatures involved. Buy real milk (or at least non-homogenised) in glass bottles if you can - the leaching of chemicals from that awful opaque plastic is just awful to think about.

Being in WA, our laws are quite strict on the pasteurised milk debate. (Even though they will sell cheeses etc made from unpasteurised milk). As a result, even Cleopatra's Bath Milk and Aphrodite's Bath Milk are not available here. But I've found a dairy farmer who will supply me (bath milk of course ) :grin: What you do with it once you buy it is totally up to you but let's just say it's not manufactured to be put in the bath. Regulations simply require that labelling. Sometimes it's even labelled as Pet Milk in health food shops. Do some searching on forums, go to Weston Price website or Dr Mercola website. You'll see how many people are doing this and WHY. It's a bit dearer, for sure and though sometimes we struggle to pay the bills, we made this choice for our family. Will never buy past/homog . milk again.

lcc76

I am really interested in this debate. I am generally quite trusting of the powers that be to do what is best for us, but not always! ;) This is what I'm doing at the moment, and my reasons why.

I bought 'bath milk' in Qld, but used it to make yogurt (you bring it to boiling point & then let it cool). As far as I can tell, this is similar to pasteurisation (which according to the national foods website is 75 degrees for 27 seconds! See http://nutrition.natfoods.com.au/st_milkproc.html )

I have to say it made the best yoghurt I've had in my life. Then I made yoghurt from pasteurised organic but unhomogenised milk. It was nearly as good, but not quite - I can't put my finger on it.

However, I then did a bit of research, there are very good reasons why milk is pasteurised! There are some nasty diseases out there, which I might be willing to risk myself, but not for my toddler! I can withstand a bout of the runs but a small child can dehydrate easily. Think about where the milk comes from on a dairy cow - rather near it's butt, and cows walk around in the dirt and mud all day. Sure they wash the cows before milking, but it only takes a few lingering spores, bacteria, or whatever to contaminate the entire batch. I am sure the owners of the farm care a lot about their product, but it only takes a small slipup by a tired or frazzled employee!

However I am a convert to non-homogenised and organic milk. Homogenisation is a proces where milk is pumped at very high pressure (300bar) through a very small pipe. This smashes up the fat particles & distributes them in the milk. There is some research to say that this can have unintended effects, I have no way of knowing how true that is.

I am not sure what is excluded from organic milk - I thought it might be the growth hormones, but are they banned in Australia anyhow? Is anyone else in this forum able to help me out here?

This is just my ten cents worth, I am definitely not a scientist, but a concerned mum.

On another topic, I find the food standards code helpful. http://www.foodstandards.gov.au/

Doing some research, and phoning food standards australia and a couple of egg companies to confirm, I discovered that all eggs and chicken are hormone and antibiotic free - neither are permitted under the code. So there is no difference between eggs that advertise this fact and those that don't. Then your only choice is free range, etc. Hope this helps a few people, it's saved me some $$!

Have a nice day everyone, look forward to some more debate on this.

blissfulqueenb
I am not sure what is excluded from organic milk

I think you'll probably find the cows must be grazing on certified organic pasture?

*chuggington*

The milk that you buy from the supermarket as in trim,skim, full cream ect ect is not even classed as nutritios anymore. The Milk has had chemicals added and the absolute s**t boiled out of it, And some people are scared to give REAL MILK to there kids just imagine what all that crap in skim and trim ect is doing to your insides.

nzp
However I am a convert to non-homogenised and organic milk. Homogenisation is a proces where milk is pumped at very high pressure (300bar) through a very small pipe. This smashes up the fat particles & distributes them in the milk. There is some research to say that this can have unintended effects, I have no way of knowing how true that is.
Me too! I hate homogenised milk. I read somewhere too that homogenised milk is very fatty and unhealthy. Why don't you try A2 milk? That's good too.website

Crap Napper

I support real milk for a couple of reasons but with reservations -

1. It's a whole food - it's complete, unadulterated
  2. It is choc-full of enzymes and gut-friendly bacteria, two things that are sadly lacking in our modern diet
  3. I think people deserve to have the choice to research and made decisions for themselves
  4. There are ways that real milk can be safe - it can be tested and certified, just like any other food product. Look at Green Pastures in the States, it is safe, commercially available real milk.
  5. I have seen the difference it makes with my own eyes - my daughter had a diagnosed casein allergy that was strangely not present when she drank raw cows milk.

BUT...

1. Only healthy cows make healthy milk, so I worry about raw milk from non-organic and untested sources
  2. I don't believe dairy (including milk) should make up as large a portion of our diet as it tends to these days anyway. During the times that people were drinking raw milk, they typically made most of their family's food themselves, so they definitely didn't sit down to slabs of cheese, bowls of icecream, bowls of yoghurt, dollops of sour cream etc etc etc every day. They drank a couple of glasses of milk, made butter, and used the cream in cooking. Our diet is probably a bit too heavy on the dairy these days because of the ease and convenience of it as a food.
  3. There are other ways of adding valuable enzymes into pasteurised milk, like making yoghurt and kefir.

We bought raw milk for around a year, but stopped fairly recently for a couple of reasons. We were buying it in bulk (the farm was a long way away) and freezing it, but the separation on thawing was bugging everyone. It also wasn't organic, and that worried me.