Tree

Homemade Yogurt - Questions

Tree

I am not a very domestic person (I am okay at growing food, just dont want to spend hours in the kitchen cooking on a daily basis), but want my family to eat the best quality organic food, and homemade is the option is there is a very very limited range of organic in town, so I thought I might try making yogurt.

Does anybody make their own yogurt? How much time and effort do I need to devote? Do you use the supermarket packs/kits or do you do it all yourself? How do I go about making yogurt without having to purchase a commercial kit. Any other tips for newbies?

Thanks in advance!

gumnut

I have tried many times in the past to make my own yoghurt by boiling up the milk etc...unsuccessfully, or have produced very 'genuine' sour yoghurt. Now I use the EasiYo system and it is fabulous, wouldn't do it any other way. The 'kit' is only $20 and you can pick it up at opshops for around $5 if you want it cheaper (and buy the inner container new from KMart for about $5). The sachets are just skim milk with the culture starter and sugar/flavours (depending on the type you buy) and you only add water so they are very cheap (about $3/sachet and that makes 1kg yoghurt).

I also checked out the bacteria in the finished product and yep, they are there! (I am a microbiologist LOL).

Edited to add I just noticed you are looking for 'organic'; EasiYo are not marketed as such so that probably cuts that out..sorry! Must read OPs better...!

cheers

Michele

Edited by gumnut

*sambino*

Easy-Yo is brilliant- no effort at all. You can make up the first lot using their mix and then make your own with the same ammount of water, 1 1/3 cups of milk powder and 2 tablespoons on the old yoghurt. DD about to get out of bath, so no time to find them for you, but if you do a search, there are tons of threads on it.

Have fun

tokenfemale

I make yoghurt from scratch using a natural yoghurt as a starter and then boiling milk. It works a treat everytime and is very easy. I think my secret is that I use a heat mat to sit the yoghurt on overnight, which is actually the heat mat my DH uses to brew his beer. It works a treat! I use Jalna biodynamic yoghurt as a starter culture and then organic milk, and continue with my own yoghurt as a starter culture for subsequent batches. Margaret Fulton has a great recipe in her cookbook for yoghurt. Let me know if you want further info.

Tree

LOL gumnut! I thought I was the only one who did that type of thing! :tongue: (yep, own a microscope... :ph34r: it is only a little one though)

tokenfemale, I'd love to give your method a go... it was the Jalna that gave me the idea, and Margret Fulton taught me what I know of cooking so far :lol:

~GG77~

Can you tell me more????

I was using the recipe from EB using powdered milk, jalna bio yogurt and sugar and putting it in a container in an esky filled with hot water and wrapped in a towel. Then I went and bought the Easiyo thermos to make life easier (Not intending to use sachet's). I was wondering if I could use milk instead of the powder.

What is the reason behind boiling it? is it just to get the heat into the milk? Or a sterilising process? Do you think it would work with fresh milk from the dairy?

hmmm, maybe I'll just give it a go....

~Edie~

I use the recipe from EB with organic milk/starter and put it in the easiyo.

Tree

Where is the EB recipe?

What does the easyo consist of? Is it something I can McGyver?

~GG77~

I have no idea what is in the easi yo sachets. All the system consists of is a thermos that holds a 1litre plastic container. You make the yogurt up in the container and pour boiling water around it in the thermos. It works just as well to use a small esky or insulated drink bottle as the "thermos" and any old container, but the easiyo is more compact. I live in Tassie and the first couple of batches didn't set too well as it cooled down too quick, so I put it into an insulated bag, and topped up the boiling water.

The recipe I found on here was

1 1/3 cups powdered milk

1/3 cup sugar

2 tbsp yogurt as a starter.

I think there may also have been vanilla in it, but I just use sugar that has vanilla beans in the jar.

I think it was in the recipe thread

I just started a batch using proper milk. So I will see how it goes.

Tree

Thats brilliant Ruth, thanks! I'm keen to have a go! :tongue:

~Sorceress~

I use the EasiYo maker and sachets, but alternate using just powdered milk with some starter yogurt and the sachets. I also halve their drinking yogurt sachets and add 1/2c milk powder to reduce the sugar content. :)

If you read the ingredients on the Easiyo sachets, I think some of them used to use free pastured milk powder or something, which I figured was equivalent to non-certified organic. :)

I'd love to hear if anybody has success with boiled milk and old yogurt in the EasiYo.

~GG77~

Sorceress it looks like it's working. I didn't boil my milk and I just used a room temp UHT skim milk I had in the cupboard to experiment. I added 1/3 cup vanilla sugar and a big dessertspoon of Natural yogurt.

It has only been about 3 1/2 hours and it already seems to be thickening up which is promising. I'll let you know in the morning :)

Tree, I should also mention that you need to fill it up to the litre with water and not have too much free air space at the top. Good luck with it!

Edited by ~Ruth~

~Edie~

EB recipe

(spring-chickens)

This is the link to the method I use.

Its very nice :D , especially with some fruit mixed in with it.

~GG77~

It curdled :cry: I guess boiling stops the curdling some how. I'm going to keep experminenting and will let you know if I have any luck. I personally can't be bothered boiling it, so am trying some other things.

CYL

~Sorceress~
:cry::cry::cry: Darn darn darn! I was so looking forward to being able to use real milk, but don't think boiling is in my timeframe either! :(

~GG77~

There is hope. I put another batch in using cold milk (Last nights was room temp) and less insulation. It has started to thicken but hasn't yet curdled. I will keep a closer eye on it. I'd say that using milk means it sets much quicker and with less heat required.

Don't give up just yet :grin:

lelo

:blink: I think may be you're all going to too much trouble....

I'd never heard of boiling the milk - but it is essential that your containers and any utensils used are very clean to avoid adding 'bad' bacteria.

I just use a litre of (cold or room temp) milk (powdered, UHT, skim or full cream) mix in one tea spoon of natural yoghurt then sit in a warm place for 8 to 12 hours (I do 'cheat' these days and use the Easiyo thermos) and that's it, end result yoghurt!

From experimenting, I've discovered that too much starter will make the end result mucusy, and full cream 'real' (not powdered) milk results in a smoother, thicker yoghurt.

I've heard that adding flavor/sugar will make it curdle - so have always mixed these in just before serving.

It sounds like you're on the right track ~Ruth~ - it can sometimes take awhile if it's cold....

keep experimenting and Good Luck!

~GG77~

Hey, thanks for all that, nice to know I'm not flogging a dead horse :lol:

I just came here to say that this batch worked great :D I will say that it seems to happen much quicker when you use milk rather than powder. (this batch set within the day, the milk powder takes over night and then some...), And I think you need to be a bit gentler with the heat, which I think is why my other batch curdled. Oh, and the whey definately seems to settle out more, but a stir combines it back in.

Happy yogurting eveyone :tongue:

lelo

Good to hear Ruth :D

I think the trick with powdered milk is to add a little extra powder to make the milk thicker then it sets better.

Some extra milk powder in skim milk batches also helps create a thicker yoghurt too...

lilone_

I posted in recipes but think that this is getting more traffic .....

ok next instalment is a ? of how long can it sit out of the fridge before you shouldnt eat it.

I have an easiyo batch that the lid was not on tight overnight so it didnt thicken, was in the fridge for a bit over an hour (didnt go cold), I added hot water again and left it all day and now forgot it and left it all night so it has been total of 48 hours out the fridge "cooking"

Its nice and thick but can I eat it safely???

WDYT?

Edited by lilone_

~Sorceress~

Lelo,

I just use a litre of (cold or room temp) milk (powdered, UHT, skim or full cream) mix in one tea spoon of natural yoghurt then sit in a warm place for 8 to 12 hours (I do 'cheat' these days and use the Easiyo thermos) and that's it, end result yoghurt!

Do you put boiling water in the Easiyo thermos?

lilone_ ,

I think all you can do is trust your nose. I mean, yogurt is supposed to be a bit "off" - you might just need to eat it earlier? I've definitely eaten yogurt that's been brewing for over 24 hours and I'm still here... ;)

lilone_

Thanks Sorceress: I trusted DS instead (hes the yoghurt standard here :lol: ) it was s different texture on the edges (sort of curdled I think from adding boiling water onto it after it had cooled a little - well he wasnt having a bar of it so it got chucked :rolleyes: . Hard to tell if it smelt different, but having very recently eaten left overs that were too left over :sick: I wouldnt wish that on him (or me to clean it up) so didnt chance it

lelo
Do you put boiling water in the Easiyo thermos?

Yes, I do :)

The easiyo thermos requires a cup (or two?) of boiling water so I usually do a batch when the kettle has been on for a cuppa or boil some whilst cooking dinner or washing the dishes.

I assume it'd still work with hot tap water but might take longer.

lilone_ It could just be my perception, but the longer it takes to thicken, the more sour I find the yogurt....which could be why your DS rejected it :tongue:

My personal 'yardstick' is that if it's not set within about 24 hrs then it's probably no good - if it were cold weather or the water hadn't been hot (like in your case) I might wait a bit longer though.

When I get a doubtful batch (sometimes happens if the starter is too old, or bad bacteria has got into the mix somehow) or have some that's been 'forgotten' in the fridge for too long, I can't throw it out (hate to waste 'food' :blush: ) but use it in cooking (instead of milk)

Yogurt is great in muffins, cakes, loaves and can also be added to savory things like a cheesey sauce or curry where milk would be used.

edited to fix my spelling (of the word yogurt!)

Edited by lelo

~Sorceress~

Thanks, Lelo!

edited to fix my spelling (of the word yogurt!)

:lol: I often spell it "yoghurt" for some reason :grin: and have to edit myself!

lilone_

My goodness I just had to google it !!!!

I have been spelling in Yoghurt since I could spell! I wonder if that is because I grew up in WA and over there it was indeed Pauls Yoghurt :tongue:

ETA link for photographic proof Pauls Branding

Edited by lilone_