Nut

Moving to Canberra

DadAgain

Update: (apologies to anyone from Gunahlin - I dont mean to offend)

Day out was exhausting:

I arrived in Canberra at 8am after a stupidly early start (5:00am) and quickly dealt with the grumpy guy at Thrifty car hire. They didnt have any manual Hyundai Getz's left so I got a free upgrade :D ...

I thought I'd better check out where IBM was before doing anything else - so journeyed out to battle the peak hour traffic and locate the city centre. 10 minutes later I was outside IBM - having not stopped ONCE.. THERE IS ***NO**** TRAFFIC in Canberra!!!.

SO the tricky bit done I had about 6 hours to kill before interview so checked out the suburbs in Canberras far south - discovering them to be quite attractive and incredibly quick to get to (amazingly good road infrastructure - and NO TRAFFIC). The arrangement of dual-carriage ways, roundabouts and general non-cluttered infrastructure together with crisp cool (but refreshing) air really reminded me of home (Basingstoke where I grew up is completely a 'designed' town with road infrastructure feeling very similar to Canberra).

Having got positive vibes from Canberras south I headed north to see what the newer suburbs looked like in particular the spots where brand new houses are being built. I got lost a couple of times on the way (my fault - tough to drive at 90km/h AND read a map simultaneously :unsure: ) - but eventually I found what I can only describe as a horrific area of mass construction, legoland identikit high-density housing and little in the way of redeeming features... A look at a few suburbs quickly had my mind made up that North Canberra is NOT the place for us!

After an early lunch and a look at a few more suburbs I changed and concentrated on getting myself into "professional" mode. Interview was interesting enough but did involve the main interviewer (there were 3 of them) saying "I cant say anything definate now - but I do have a couple of serious concerns about your lack of experience with pre-sales activities & dealing with large politcal bureacracies... Having said that IBM would definately benefit from having someone with your experience, skills and enthusiasm on board - so would you consider the possibility of roles other than this one?"

So reading (not very hard) between the lines I'm expecting a rejection!

After the interview with the wind somewhat knocked form my sails and fatigue starting to set in I lost enthusiasm and returned to the airport a bit early before finally getting home totaly knackered at 9pm

~mimo~
Update: (apologies to anyone from Gunahlin - I dont mean to offend)
:glare::glare: Won't hold it against you! :tongue:

Bit disappointing about your interview, bit of a pain when they don't think you are quite suited but bring you down anyway.

Hopefully you will be pleasantly surprised or something else becomes available for you.

PS Did you know there is NO TRAFFIC in Canberra? :lol:

Guest dixiebelle
So reading (not very hard) between the lines I'm expecting a rejection!

OR

so would you consider the possibility of roles other than this one?"

Perhaps an even better position might be offered... you never know! Good experience with the interview etc. but pity it was at your own expense! Good luck, dadagain...

Nut

Traffic in canberra often depends on what direction you're heading in :)

By the sounds of it you were going against the peak flow... Getting to Tuggeranong from the Airport early morning... not a problem... getting Northside after peak time... not a problem... Getting from Southside to the city in peak hour traffic... really not so bad until you get to the major roadworks...

Can be a bit worse going from Woden to city...

I suppose it all depends on what you're use to. Compared to Sydney our traffic is bliss really. Glad you liked south side... I'm a south sider myself and love it :D

Will keep my fingers crossed for you anyway... Sounds like there could still be some potential for something...

Guest dixiebelle

Any word, dadagain? Guess they'll be like many other companies and drag it out, then all of a sudden, call up, give you a job and expect you to start immediately!

My DH and I are in 2 different minds still... he wants to wait til we visit Canberra (in 6 weeks) then start to think about applying for jobs, and I think why wait? Just start applying for suitable positions now, and see what happens... maybe Canberra will win him over, he'll fall in love and be ready to move ASAP????

MrsHUGS

Hi Everyone...

Just popping back in to see whats been happening...

DadAgain - I hope they offer you something since you paid to go down there and back for an interview...

I must make note that south side is nicer...

MrsHUGS

Guest dixiebelle

Any word yet, dadagain?

We are only 4 weeks til we come for our visit to Canberra and are getting excited! Probably not moving til after baby is born, so not til early to mid 2008... unless I can get DH moving along with his career plans and finding a new job!

Guest dixiebelle

That's no good. Plenty of other jobs to apply for... though you are probably feeling bummed out by Canberra at the moment!

michellecabrera

Hello, I dont know if anyone remembers me, but my husband took a job promotion to Canberra, well we sold our house in Dubbo and we are now here in Canberra, actually in Ngunnawal, and I must say, i really like it, I do like this area. I have booked our Daughter Galilea into pre-school and our 6.5 month old is settling into a routine. Glad we made the move. we only lived in Dubbo for couple of years, I am originally from the Gold Coast where I had my school years and left when I was 28 and married my husband ( a Mexican) and moved to Mexico, we moved back to Australia and Dubbo seemed more affordable than Gold Coast or Sydney, so it was a great stepping stone money wise. If there is anyone out there who would like to correspond, please do so!

Guest Bec-n-Boys

Welcome to Canberra :)

My sis lives in Wellington ( near Dubbo ) she teaches Infants school.

I am also from Gold Coast.

michellecabrera

Thanks for the welcome! I was living in Miami on Marine Parade (beachfront) for over 20 years, before that address we were in Mermaid Waters, I attended Emmanuel College in Carrara, I get people asking me why I dont live on the Gold Coast, but I guess alot ofpeople dont realise that the price of living is very high (houses prices) and also that the wages are not good, so many people competing for job positions drags the renumeration. But I miss it, and all my friends there!

Guest Bec-n-Boys

I came from Tweed Heads, lived in Southport area as well :)

I am always asked " why did you move" :lol:

Edited by Bec-n-Boys

LuluG

Hi all,

I am new to essential baby and am also moving to Canberra before xmas.

We will be moving to the Gungahlin area and would love to get in touch with anyone in the area and also some ABA groups.

Cheers,

Mumma T

michellecabrera

Welcome to Canberra Mumma T! You are moving to a good area Gungahlin, I live in Ngunnawal, dont attend a group yet, havent found one, I have an 8 mth old girl and 4 yr old girl.

My husband and I moved here in November 07, love it so far. I am actually trying to find out where I can have my babys weight length etc checked, dont know where...

anyone can help?

Michelle

is-sew

Hi Michelle and Mummat

I dont live in Gungahlin but Giralang so spend most of my time in Gungahlin as our Dr is there and I prefer the shops (I hate malls). The baby change room near Big W has info on ABA groups in the area. You can get your bub weighed at Ngunnawal (1.30-3.30) on Tuesday afternoons at the Child health clinic in Wamganeen ave near the school. you can also get development checks, immunisations etc done there but need to book through the community health intake line on 6207 9977.

there is also the child and family centre near the library that has a lot of services.

Roz

michellecabrera

Wow, Roz, thanks so much for helping out. My little 4 yr old is attending the pre-school here in Ngunnawal, so I will call and make a time for the bub to have her check up! thanks again.... Michelle

Nut

Bumping this. Not sure why it was unpinned!

Dino-Mite

Having moved from Canberra 3 years ago, we went to Darwin where we spent 1 year and then moved to Sydney amd have stayed here for 1 year and 10 months, I am coming back to Canberra. I am arriving in October (12th or 13th). Ollie and Harley (Kahlua (the cat) and the Darwin dog that hasn't experienced Canberra yet :evilgrin: )will join me in December.. We are all so excited to be returning to the place that we call home. We are unsure of where we will live and will have no idea until such time as DHA agree to me having a married quarter; from discussions, it will be at the time Ollie and Harley join me. Anyone know of any rentals that will be up in October and that will give me a 3 month lease :rant: .

Anyway from October on, I will be at after hour meet ups (to meet those who I don't know yet) and I can't wait!! I am sure once Harley joins me, I will have heaps of questions about schools (depending on where we live) and about swimming and other sporting teams. He currently does swimming and AFL but tonight he told me he wants to do Karate once we get back to Canberra. He is looking forward to seeing some of his friends more often!

Anyway, I am excited and can't wait for October.

Edited because Harley has asked to move to Canberra with me. Hopefully Ollie will be able to come with us as well.

Edited by Dino-Mite

ferntree_girls

Hi everyone,

My family might be moving to Canberra early next year (my husband is going for a job which he has been told he has a good chance of getting).

I'm 12 weeks pregnant and booked into a Hobart private hospital, but I guess if the job comes off I might deliver in the ACT! Can anyone give me a feel for how hard it is to get into Obstericians in Canberra and any good ones you've had (esp the no-gap ones). I can imagine I might miss out if I don't look into it soon.

Also, if we were to move we would rent first but have no idea where. My daughter will start kinder year after next so would be good to get into an area with a good school and not have to move in a hurry. Can anyone fill me in on the public school system in ACT? Is the kinder age the year they turn 5? (This is how it works in Tas). Any experiences of great/not so great schools?

Lots of questions I know... hope you can help!

*snoopy*

Hi all,

I've been offered a permanent position in Canberra too. We're currently in Sydney. I have concerns about being able to send our youngest DD to big school next year though. She's enrolled and due to start kindy next year but she's a May baby (and the Canberra cut off is April 30).

Our options are to live in Queanbeyan or do you think if I asked for a 6mth delay, start her schooling here in Sydney and then move to Canberra in June - do you think she can be accepted into the Canberra schools?

Ultimately, this is one of the big factors as to why we are still umming and ahhing :unsure:

What do you guys think?

Edited by *snoopy*

seayork2002

Hi,

I will probably be moving to the ACT (or working int he ACT and living in NSW) sometime this or early next year.

This is a great thread thank you for starting it

Onedaybaby

Hi

I'm not sure if this thread is still active but I'm moving to Canberra mid year and hopefully will be living on the north side. The suburbs I'm looking at are Watson, Belconnen or Bruce. I'm keen to live within walking distance to shops etc. Does anyone have any thoughts on the best suburb? I'll be working in Civic so I want to be able to ride my bicycle...My employer has also suggested Franklin as an option but looks to be fairly isolated. Any thoughts?

Thanks heaps for your help

nellieb

Just really quickly (because I am lazy and the thought of riding a bike is anathema to me!) I think Watson would be good for riding to Civic. Franklin also has good bike paths to Civic (would connect to Watson ones). Not sure about other suburbs though!

We;re in Gungahlin and about 5-10 mins walk from the Gungahlin shops.

Most suburbs in Canberra have a "shops" centre - so a supermarket, restaurant and some other small retailers.

laceandpearls

Hi! I'm going to be moving to Canberra, south side, it 2 1/2 weeks! Can hardly believe it. I'm sure the cooler weather is going to be a bit of a shock (living near Brisbane currently). DH is already there working and looking for somewhere to live. He thinks he's found something so that's a huge relief. We should be finding out right away if we got it. DD (5) is excited because she wants to see snow. lol I'm obviously going to need to get into a GP right away when I get there. If anyone has any recommendations I would appreciate them. Thanks!

Nut

Laceandpearls - I have two GP's to recommend. Dr Verghese at Tuggeranong Square Medical Practice is lovely, has been my GP for over 10 years.

And Dr Brand at Foundation Health Care in Erindale is my back up doctor and is also wonderful.