Sign in to follow this  
Marah'smom

how much is your electricity bill?

Marah'smom

Hi there

Just wanted to ask some advice.We recently moved here from overseas, and have been living with my parents for a few months.We would like to move out on our own soon(we all know how it is living with the folks..)We were working out our finances to see how we are going to afford this.

What is your average electricity and water bills?We are a family of 4(2 adults and 2 kids).And any advice on how to save?

Thanks in advance

coffeebabe

Hi!

We pay $85/mth for electricity with ducted reverse cycle heat and A/C plus we have a gas cooktop and hot water.

We live in South Sydney.

~Faith~

We got ours today.

$486 - that's for 3 months, for 3 adults and 5 kids. (Eldest DD is 19, so I have classed her as an adult).

Love

Kat

Princesinders

2 adults and one child: approx. $150 per three months.

4chooks

Ours was $425 this quarter. We have 3 adults and 3 kids and a pretty big, badly designed project home.

We have gas for hot water and cooking, I hate to think what it would be if the house was all electric. :o

Jo

~cackleberry~

Ours was $280 for 3 mths but that was using the dryer all the time. :rolleyes: I've been trying to cut down on how much I use that, so hopefully it will be cheaper next quarter. :)

BBM

HI

We live in Qld, our house is all electric - no gas at all. We run a pool 8 hrs a day also, and our bill is normally between $600 - $800 quarterly - depending on the season. It is up round the $800 each summer due to air-cons running, but our most recent bill was around $600 :) .

HTH

ldowe

Mine just came in the mail yesterday and it was $195 for the 1/4.

There is only two of us in the house at the moment, soon to be 3.

I am right on top of everything, turning amost everything off at the points when we aren't using them.

NewLifeDirection

Varies between $150 in summer to $350 in Winter ($200 a quarter on average). We also have ducted gas heating on top of that - couldn't live without it here in the ACT - it's freezing!!

Forecast for Wednesday

Cloudy with rain periods. Moderate to fresh west to northwest winds, tending southerly during the afternoon.

Precis: Rain periods.

City: Max 9

Tuggeranong: Max 10

Chance of rainfall: 90%

Winds on Lake: West to northwest winds 25 to 35 km/h, tending southerly during the afternoon.

So cold with a wind chill factor & currently 6degC. Oh and yesterday they said it would reach 10degC too but it only reached 5!! :( Edited by The_Source

Purple_Gecko

Pretty sure my elec bill will be sky high this year.

1 heater is set on 15 degrees at night so we dont freeze over and I have a heater in DD room all night.

The rest of the time the heaters run all day if I am home.

Last year my winter bill was $800 but it should be cheaper this year.

Summer my bill is about $300 for 3 months.

I am in ACT aswell and there are 6 of us with 2 adults 2 older kids and 2 younder kids.

Edited by Purple_Gecko

kazzabear

I got mine yesterday 258 this quarter for 94days... 2 adults and 1 toddler... I have been keeping the heater on.. so next month could be lots worse :wacko:

minyaca

Our electricity bill is around $250 a quarter - closer to $200 in winter and $300 in summer for AC. We are a family of two adults and two kids in a fairly large house. There is no-one in the house two days a week. We have gas ducted heating, hot water and stove. The water bill is around $140 a quarter. We are water conscious and mainly use grey water on the garden.

DD March 2003

DS January 2003

Jenno

Ours is huge, we run the office from home and had a boarder for 3 months.

$540.

Luckily we can claim most of it back.

**Kaz**

For 2 adults and one child it is on average $200 per quarter.

Cirius

Edited by Cirius

tle

Our last one was about $450 for the quarter but it goes up a bit in winter. That's with 2 adults & 5 kids in a fairly big house. We have ducted air con/heating, run a home office and have no town water so pumps going all the time for septic and water usage. We also have a solar hot water system which helps keep the costs down a bit

I guess $450 is not too bad when you consider we have no gas or water bills.

georgiagirl

I just got mine yesterday and it was $163.00 for the quarter.

Everyone seems to have huge bills! :o Where do you live? I live in a big house with heat/ air / dishwasher every day/ washing machine and 3 kids using up electricity and it's a LOT lower than many of yours.

3cuties4us

georgiagirl, how on earth do you get it that low????? We are sooo very careful and our last one was $480 odd :o We do have a swimming pool though, and we did use some air con (Nth Qld). However since that day we have NOT used aircon, no heating, no dryer (don't own one!) and being really careful. I HOPE its lower. Would you mind sharing how much power your bill says you used?

Warm wishes,

Kx

georgiagirl

2cuties4us I have no idea. I use electric heat and air, all appliances, dishwasher/washing machine etc. We do have gas hot water system and gas cooking. The breakdown of my bill is:

1038 units @ 12.67 cents per unit = 131.51

Supply Charge = 13.25

GST = 14.48

overdue notice (whoops lol) = 3.80

Totalling 163.04 rounded down to 163.00

Is your cost per unit different?

GIO

Um, I dunno - I never look at the bill!

I pay $15 per week on direct debit and we are always in credit. So at 15 X 13 = 195 (approx per quarter).

We have gas heating (but electrically central heated), gas hot water, gas stove, no aircon.

3cuties4us

Thanks for that georgiagirl. As soon as mine arrives I'll check the units etc.

We do not have gas. So... electric everything :rolleyes: We are hoping to build in next 12mths, so will fix lots of that!!!

3brm + office, 2 adults, 2 children.

I only use cold for washing.

Not using aircons/heating.

Turn off most things at night (ie. no standby if can help it)

Have a normal size fridge and a small chest freezer.

Computer on full time :tongue:

No dryer.

Oh, we do have a swimming pool which is on low rate power though (as are our aircons)

Hmm.... will check out the bill.

Thanks,

Kx

~Bloom~

Our bill is usually around the $190 mark for the quarter, but our most recent one was $243 :rant::rant: I have absolutely no idea why???

Melydot

I feel sick after seeing all your low-ish bills!! I got mine last week and it was $870 for 3 months!! I nearly died!

georgiagirl
:o:wacko::o

FuzzyChocolateToes

Ours is from about $120 in summer to at most $250 in winter. I am shocked at how big some of the bills are! We have gas cooking and central heating, and use an evaporative cooler in summer. I try to avoid using the drier. Appliances that use a lot of electricity for average homes are some types of electric heating, clothes driers, hair driers, air conditioners (refrigerative type). When it comes to lighting, halogen downlights use a lot more power - for example my lounge has 8 downlights at 50 watts each = 400 watts. But I don't need all that light most of the time so I bought a lamp with a 60 watt globe to watch TV by, and have saved 340 watts!