Jump to content

Homebirth Stories

Recommended Posts


Just realised that this forum needs this! When I was planning my own homebirths I LOVED reading other people's homebirth stories.


So come on, what was YOUR story? :D

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay, here goes...


My son's birth story: (an edited version from the one on my blog).







I conceived my son on September 10th 2001. I found out that I was pregnant at 5 weeks. At 6 weeks I started bleeding. As I'd had a miscarriage previously I was sure that it was happening again.


The next few weeks were angry weeks. I was just waiting for the miscarriage to happen. Waiting waiting waiting... It didn't occur to me to see a doctor. The bleeding kept up, mainly just spotting, sometimes a bit heavier. I was so angry at my body. I cried a lot. I kept thinking "okay, so I have no trouble GETTING pregnant, it's just the STAYING pregnant thing that is a problem for me". I truly thought I was on the road to multiple miscarriages. I remember thinking "forget it. If this is going to happen every time I get pregnant, then I just won't bother having children". I wasn't a happy girl back then. :(


Finally, at around 11 weeks pregnant, the bleeding stopped. I realised I had never actually miscarried. I hesitantly started telling people. I finally realised I should call a midwife (in New Zealand the majority of women use midwives).


So, I got a recommendation from some friends and called Jean. It turns out she lived around the corner from me, so she was happy to come to my house on her way home to do my ante-natal checks. Great - I am lazy so the thought of not having to go anywhere for check-ups was a big bonus.


The first time I met Jean I was slightly surprised. I'm not sure what I was expecting a midwife to look like, but it wasn't a 40-something woman with layers of hippy clothes, long red dreadlocks with beer caps braided into them, and multiple facial piercings. But Jean was so relaxed in her manner that you couldn't help but feel relaxed around her too, and relaxed is an excellent thing for a pregnant woman to be.


The pregnancy progressed well, almost in textbook fashion. I did however have morning sickness that lasted until I gave birth, but it wasn't too bad. Just got up every morning, retched for a few minutes, then went and started my day.


I just assumed I would give birth in a hospital, as it was my first birth. But then, at around the 30 week mark, my midwife gave me a hospital tour. I was less than impressed.


I asked tentatively if I could have a home birth. She said "of course you can. And if you change your mind, we'll still keep your name down on the hospital list". Phew!


My due date was the 4th of June, but I had this psychic premonition that I was going to give birth on the 6th of June.


I am a crap psychic.


I went overdue. 7 days went by. Nothing. 10 days went by. Still nothing. 14 days went by. Not even a lousy Braxton Hicks contraction had been felt.


I asked Jean if there was some "rule" that I had to be induced (which meant a hospital birth). She said no, only if the baby was in trouble. We went to the hospital to do a "track and trace" thing to check the baby out - it was absolutely fine. We decided we'd wait a few more days, inducing around 17 or 18 days overdue (as a woman can only take so much of this late pregnancy state! :lol: ).


At 16 days overdue I took some castor oil. It worked! After the initial bowel cleansing, it kick started labour. Thank goodness for that! My waters broke in a huge gush as I was cooking dinner that evening, and then the contractions started quietly at around 10pm.


The great thing about home births is that you don't have to GO anywhere. People just come to you. For a lazy person like me, this is fantastic. I rang Jean to let her know it had started, and she told me to call her back when I thought I'd need her. My friend Vixen came over to help out, but nothing was happening except the occasional twinge so we all went to bed.


I couldn't sleep, and at around 11pm the contractions started in earnest. I started moaning quietly through them, and after a while Vixen came in, telling me she'd been timing my moans and the contractions were every 4 minutes apart.


We got up and went into the living room, where we made cups of tea and sat around chatting. Every few minutes I had a contraction, and Vixen and my husband would rub my back during it. My contractions only lasted about 30 seconds, so once they were over we just kept chatting and joking. :D


I remember thinking "ooh, these hurt, but they're not too bad. BUT if they get any worse I don't know if I could handle it". But the great thing was that they NEVER got any worse - they were always JUST bearable. :smile: And having a 3 -4 minute break in between each pain was a great relief!


Suddenly I had a wave of nausea sweep over me, and my body just started PUSHING! :o It was the weirdest feeling! Vixen quickly rang Jean, and she was here within 10 minutes. The back-up midwife Lisa arrived shortly afterwards.


It was about 3am when I started pushing, and I'd been in labour for just 4 hours. I felt so relieved. The baby would be here soon!


So I pushed and pushed and pushed and pushed. Then pushed some more. The support crew were doing a great job with the encouragement as I'm sure I would have lost morale if they'd told me I was not really making much progress!


I pushed for 4 and a half hours in total, but it really didn't seem that long. I am just so glad that I wasn't in hospital, where I'm sure a doctor would have forced me to have an episiotomy and then put huge forceps inside me to drag the baby out after only 2 hours - that is really my biggest nightmare. :(


Anyway, I WAS making progress, just very slowly but surely. And the baby stayed strong, and his heartbeat never dropped (it helped that it had been a relatively quick labour without any drugs, of course).


Finally the head was about to crown, and Jean told me NOT to push, so she could try to ease him out without tearing. But I was sick of it by then and just PUSHED. Out came the head, there was a "split second" of white hot pain, and then the pain was all over! I felt amazing!


Of course, I was there on all fours on the living room floor, with a huge HEAD dangling down between my thighs. A VERY weird feeling to say the least.


Everyone was saying things like "WOW! Look at that head! It must be 7 pounds by itself!" I refused to look on the basis that I didn't want such an image to be forever imprinted on my memory. :blush:


We had no idea whether we were having a boy or a girl, so it was quite funny when my husband said "Wow, he looks huge!" And the midwife asked why he thought it was a boy. My husband replied "No girl of mine could be THAT ugly!" (He later admitted he really regretted saying that, as, what if it HAD been a girl?! :tongue: )


4 minutes went by, we were all waiting for the final contraction so that I could push the baby's body out. (I think that's why my pushing stage took so long - I was only pushing with each contraction, but they only came every 4 minutes or so and only lasted 30 seconds). Finally, it came, and the midwife helped guide this huge LONG baby out into the world.


I looked down at him as he lay on the floor in front of me and my first thought was "It's a boy!" My second thought was "Oh my god, he's so ugly!!!" My third thought was "I can't believe I just pushed THAT out of my vagina!"


After 5 minutes or so we cut the cord, and the baby got handed around and cuddled. I was waiting waiting waiting for the placenta to come out. It took forever, and I was bleeding a lot, so finally the midwife gave me an injection to clamp down the uterus and stop the bleeding, and the placenta came out about an hour after my boy was born.


In the meantime, my boy was weighed and measured. And it was official - he WAS huge. He weighed 10lb 6oz (that's around 4.7kg), and was 57cm long, and his head circumference was 38.5cm. He was healthy and strong, yelling a lot at first, but then calming down and just looking around the place.


He WAS pretty ugly, what with the huge conehead from all that pushing, PLUS a bubble on top the conehead (called a caput) from even more of all that pushing. :o Thankfully, within a day he looked normal. :D


As for me? I felt like I was Superwoman. :D He was born just before 8.00am in the morning, on 21 June 2002, and I was on the telephone ringing everyone I could think of at 8.05am. I was so excited that I had to share the news with the world!


Physically, of course, I was tired. I had a small tear, that didn't need stitches thankfully. I fainted when I stood up for the first time, due to exhaustion and loss of blood, but a few cups of tea and chocolate biscuits sorted that out.


But mentally, I was on top of the world.


It was truly the proudest moment of my life. :D









And here's my DD's birth story:




Having had a successful home birth with my first-born, there was no question in my mind that I'd have another home birth for my second.


I was much more relaxed about everything this time around, which was good, as my pregnancy was a lot harder. As well as having a toddler to chase after, I bled a little in the first trimester, but didn't freak out about it as I'd done with my son's pregnancy. I chose the same midwife, Jean, and as I felt like such a birthing professional, I didn't bother to see her until I was 17 weeks along.


At the 20 week scan I was sorely tempted to find out the sex, as I really wanted a girl and had strong "girl feelings", but my husband persuaded me to not find out, like last time.


Towards the end of the pregnancy I was very uncomfortable and found walking difficult, especially as the baby's head had dropped early and so it felt like I was waddling around with a basketball between my thighs. I pulled a pelvic ligament just after my due date and was in a lot of pain and so started getting quite upset that I might go more than 2 weeks overdue like with my son.


My midwife put me at ease, and said it sounded like things were going to happen in the next day or two. God, she's good.


At 4 days overdue, I had the "show". Then all through that day I had occasional tummy tightenings and vague cramps. I was very excited as I knew I was in "pre-labour", and so told everyone things would happen in the next day or two.


That night I couldn't sleep, and sat up reading, and timing the cramps. They weren't painful at all, and were now coming every half an hour or so. It was quite exciting.


Finally, at around 2.15am, they sped up to every 10 minutes and started hurting a bit. Yippee! :D I leapt out of bed and called Jean to let her know that it had started - I told her I'd call her back when I thought I'd need her, maybe in a few hours. I also rang my mum and asked her to come on over, as she was going to be a support person along with my husband.


My mum arrived around 2.30am, and things suddenly accelerated. It was amazing. The contractions got stronger in intensity, and sped up to every 5 minutes, then 4, then 2 minutes. We quickly rang Jean again at 3.00am and asked her to come IMMEDIATELY.


The contractions, like last time, were JUST bearable. Any more and I wouldn't have been able to handle it. I just moaned and counted through them, which seemed to help a lot. I also really felt like I needed to sit on the toilet, so I did. It just seemed to be the most comfortable place to be.


Around 3.10am I got the overwhelming urge to PUSH. It freaked me out as the midwife wasn't even there yet, and I was on the toilet. My husband was rubbing my back, but I couldn't speak to tell him what was happening. I didn't push, but just kinda grunted a lot!


The midwife then arrived and after a few minutes of chatting to my mum out in the hallway, popped her head around the door to see how I was. I managed to blurt out "The head's coming out!!!" She looked surprised, and said "surely not!?" But had a quick look, and SOMETHING was indeed coming out.


She got me off the toilet and into the living room where everything was set up, and she discovered that it wasn't the head coming out, it was the bag of waters, which hadn't yet broken. I kept saying "I don't want to push! I don't want to push! I'm not pushing!" And it's funny, but I didn't push at all. My body just seemed to take over and pushed for me, like involuntary convulsions - a very very weird feeling.


Jean said "Fine! Don't push! But the baby's coming out anyway." And so finally the waters broke by themselves, then the baby's head popped out straight afterwards. I couldn't believe it. What?? No pain?? Where was the pain??


Then the whole baby came out in a huge gush of waters, splashed onto the floor, getting amniotic fluid all over Jean. I was in shock at how relatively painless and quick it all had been.


Then I looked at this baby - it was a girl!!! I was over the moon! And she was the most perfect, most delicate, most tiny, most round, most beautiful baby I had ever seen! :D


She was born at 3.55am, after just over an hour and a half of labour. The placenta came out almost immediately and without any problems.


We then weighed and measured this tiny little baby - Oh My God! We weighed her 3 times in all, as we couldn't believe it. She was 10lb 10oz (that's around 4.8kg), and was 57cm long and had a 37.5cm head circumference. She was bigger than her brother had been at birth, and we'd thought he was huge! She was born on the 8th of December 2003, just 5 days overdue (thank goodness!)


And I couldn't believe how physically amazing I felt. I had no tears, no bruising, no swelling, not even a vague soreness "down there". I felt like I could have jumped into bed with my man and started trying for another baby then and there! (But of course, I didn't). :tongue:


So that's my "can't believe I got so lucky" birth story. Easiest birth in the world, and I got the most beautiful baby in the world out of it too :D

Edited by cesca

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

You can find both of mine, and some others too, here...







PS mine are Sam and Jake's stories

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi there,

I'll pin this thread at the top of the forum.

I agree that it would be great for potential homebirthers to be able to easily find a number of homebirth stories.

All the best

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Home Birth of Joshua Steven - 1.39pm on Monday 19th February 2007


The times that I remember may be a bit off, as I wasn't really taking much notice, especially once it all really kicked in. I may come and edit the times correctly once my midwife writes up and gives me her version of the event :D


At around 2am on the 19th (I was 40+1 weeks) I woke with a feeling of heavy period pain. It lasted around 40 seconds and was very much reminiscent of an upset tummy. I rolled over and went back to sleep. Another 'pain' woke me around 15 minutes later, so I went to the loo and sat for a few minutes. Nothing more so I went back to sleep. I woke a couple of times with other pains, but just breathed through them and barely even opened my eyes for them. The children came in at around 7.30am to wake us up. Once up and about, the pains seemed to be coming anywhere from 8-15 minutely, lasting anywhere from 15-40 seconds. I wasn't sure this was early labour, or just a tease. I told Andrew to go to work, jokingly telling him to expect a call as soon as he got in there, to come home. I truly wasn't sure what was happening.. I walked Julia to school (a 6 minute walk). Had a contraction while chatting and laughing with another mum at the playground, then had another walking home. They were really weird pains, not what I had experienced with Nathan at all. These were felt exclusively down in the lower part of my uterus, as if it was purely dilation pains I was feeling. Where was the supposed textbook contraction, beginning gently at th top of my uterus, working down, slowly tightening to a peak, holding, then releasing slowly? These ones hurt, they took all my concentration to remember to breathe, rock and let them happen. Especially while trying to hold a conversation with a 3 1/2 year old!


I was expecting my midwife and my follow-through student midwife to be over at about 10.30-11am for a check up, so I just pottered about and chattered to Nathan, while slowing regularly to listen to what my body was telling me. My main midwife rang to say she was leaving her house, I almost cried hearing her voice, because I was so unsure of what was happening and needed someone to tell me what was going on! So much for being a doula myself huh :) My student midwife arrived at 10.30ish and immediately started doing some vacuuming (I was having a mad nesting urge to clean the birth pool and the floor of the kids crumbs) and general tidying up while I stopped every now and then to work through a contraction. Nathan was busy watching tele, chatting to me, helping the student clean. My main midwife arrived at about 11.15 and I told her what I was feeling, she sat down and got out her paperwork and BP cuff etc while I kept pottering.


Midwife doing her paperwork-



She watched me for a bit, then I heard her say to the student, that she was going to get her kit out of the car, that baby was arriving today.. I finally called Andrew and told him to come home- by taxi from the city, not train.


At about midday Nathan needed a nappy change, that was way past my concentration ability to clean up (he still isn't toilet trained) so I popped him in the shower to wash, while I sat on the toilet for a while. I noticed I had a bloody show when I got up, I reported this to my midwife when I next passed through the lounge room. She quietly got on the phone to our back up midwife to see where she was. She was unable to leave work, so we had a quiet brain storm about who I wanted to come and be back up. My choice was contacted, she was only 15 minutes away and free to join us. That was fate stepping in to pull together the birth team that ended up being in attendance :)


Andrew arrived home shortly afterwards, hearing me getting slowly more vocal as the contractions were really getting teeth. They were truly all centred around the base of my uterus and my cervix, with no seeming regularity, timewise or lengthwise to them. Admittedly, I was not watching the clock, I was just wondering around, and stopping where I needed to when I needed to. The birth pool started being filled at about 12.45, while I paced around it and the lounge room and the kitchen.


My boys filling the pool-



I had a massive contraction that actually had me crying out, with tears and the first thought of 'what am I doing, I don't want this, go away' (transition anyone?) This contraction is caught on video and it was a long one, with Nathan in the background asking why I'm crying, with Andrew reassuring him that I am okay, just working hard.


Working hard-



When it finished, I stood up with my eyes closed, wiped the tears away and looked at the camera with a relieved expression. Thank goodness for the spells of nothing between contractions!


I sent Andrew and Nathan off to get Julia from school at 1.15. Apparently as soon as Nathan was gone, I got really vocal and serious about working through the contractions, which now seemed to be constant. The water temperature felt so good on my hand, when it was deep enough, I literally threw my clothes off and loaded myself in. Bliss. Utter bliss.


In the pool-



Labour land in the pool-


The heat and depth of the water dropped me to another level totally. I laboured hanging over the edge of the pool, I laboured with my head resting back on the edge, with my hands wedged under my sacrum. I could hear with each contraction, I was really starting to bear down. The roar I had with Nathan, was happening again :) I heard my midwife asking the student if she had Andrews number, because he and the children had to come home RIGHT NOW. His was the only number not listed on the fridge. I could have given it to them, but of course, they didn't want to disturb me. They found the number, his phone didn't answer anyway..


I was on my knees over the edge of the pool, when I felt that familiar poo sensation, that I recognised as baby moving past the bowel. I tried to not push, but it felt so good to work with that, so I sat back on one knee, with the other lunged to the side, put my hand down to feel what was happening. I could feel his head pass down the birth canal, I could feel his head crowning, it felt so, so good. I was again trying not to push, trying to breath him out, but he was just coming, my body was in control, not my mind. As soon as his head was born, I rested back to lean my head on the pool side. Again, the contractions were ruling my actions, my midwife was reminding me to breath, I was trying, but the roar was happening. It was now that Andrew and the kids ran in the door. Apparently they had heard my roaring from 3 doors away and bolted home. Andrew picked up the video camera in time to film Joshua's body being pushed into the water at 1.39pm. The kids had raced to be beside my head. My midwife had to unravel his body in the water as he was tangled in cord bodily and around his neck, then she bought him straight out and into my arms. The time from his body birthing to him being given into my arms was just seconds. Julia was indeed already touching Joshy as I was still coming to terms with the fact that I had done it. Given birth, at home, in the pool, to our third child. Fantastic, powerful, shocking, fast, intense, satisfying, primal, sensual, joyous..


First photo, with Julia covering her ears from Josh's first cry-



Still catching my breath, seconds after his birth, Julia reaching out to touch her new baby brother-



All wrapped up in a few hours, with the prize of a beautiful 7lb, 14oz (3.5kg) fair haired baby boy. I would say that officially 1st stage was about an hour and 20 minutes, 2nd stage about 15 minutes, physiological 3rd stage about 25 minutes. So all up, about 2 hours again.


Joshy had a little cry, then gazed around and fell asleep. During this time Alexis arrived and I realised that the people around me at that moment, were exactly who were meant to be there. From having a planned cast of thousands, to just my close family and trusted midwives, with a dear friend arriving practically straight after the birth. Couldn't have asked for more.


I stayed sitting in the pool for about 25 minutes, then I got up to get out, so I could birth the placenta. It was then, that I saw that there was a knot in his cord.


The knot-



What a spin out that was. Born wrapped in his cord and with a true knot in it as well. What a special boy I had.


Placenta party (note DD eating an icypole while watching)-



The placenta came without a fuss (Alexis helped with that by holding the bowl for me), we moved to the lounge, then Julia cut the cord and Joshy had his first feed.


No problems with bleeding, or feeding, or anything. The only reportable 'issues' were that some of the membrane was retained (has since come out) and I got a tear along my old scar line to the second degree. Again. Pesky scar tissue. And while being sutured, a small nick was made to my bowel, but that was discovered and addressed straight away and I am on antibiotics to counter any possible infection. :) Joshy does have what appears to be positional talipes of the left foot, so will be seen by a paediatric boneman ASAP. Oh, and no worries with my blood type being AB- either, as so is he. Very glad I didn't have prophylactic anti-D during this pregnancy ;)


Josh and I on our first morning together-



Here I am on day 3 at home with my husband and older children, with milk coming in, and a beautiful, healthy, calm and clear newborn. Perfect. Normal. So simple. Home birth rocks!

Edited by Isis

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, Isis - love the pics! :) I kind of regret not taking any photos during the actual births... just afterwards.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

What a journey! You truly did it your way :D Thank you for sharing your beautiful home birth story!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow! What an amazing journey. :)


Did I read your story in the last issue of Birth Matters?


Cesca - Thank you for sharing your lovely births. I never realised you'd homebirthed. :)

Edited by ~kylie~

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I wont post my story in here, since it ended in a c/s, but it is here if you want a read.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Cain's home waterbirth




Although my first son's birth was on the surface everything I'd wanted it to be - drug-free, problem-free, stitches-free and I felt fantastic afterwards - I felt bitterly disappointed because I knew that it really could have been the amazing experience I'd hoped for if I'd surrendered to the contractions rather than going into 'fight or flight' mode. I was incredibly lucky at the ages of 11 & 13 to witness the births of two of my brothers and I guess that was what had me thinking birth was this amazing wonderful experience.


During my first labour I felt vunerable, sorry for myself, unable to cope & in agony, but even so I had this sense that it could actually be the wonderful, even orgasmic experience some women described.


With hindsight I decided that part of the problem was I did not have any strategies to deal with the intensity of labour - things like focussing on my breath, using relaxation techniques, just simple stuff like reminding myself to relax, let go, that each contraction was bringing my baby closer, smiling! I'd done plenty of other preparation - active birth classes & reading & lots of prenatal yoga & squatting & keeping fit but I hadn't thought about how I would cope with the pain I just hoped it would all fall together.


During my second DS' pregnancy I was busy finishing my degree, doing an internship and looking after my toddler (without much help as my husband got a new job working 11-12hr days) so I didn't have the time to prepare for the birth the way I had hoped. I wanted to do hypnobirthing classes but they were much more expensive than your usual birth classes so I just bought the book instead. I also read a book by Ina May Gaskin. From 39 weeks I started doing a relaxation technique and one visualisation technique from the hypnobirthing book nearly every day.


The night before my due date I started getting mild contractions. Not painful but they kept me awake until 3am when they either stopped or I got so tired I could sleep through them. That morning we went to kindy gym then playgroup and I went home and made two chocolate cakes. After that I felt like I could have the baby because his birthday cake was the last thing I needed to do (I'd been rushing around the past week getting supplies ready as I'd only had confirmation that the hospital could start the home birth trial at the last minute).


At 4pm the 'prelabour' contractions started up again so after a few hours I called my mum (who was to be a birth support person/looking after DS) and she decided to come and stay the night. DH came home late and exhausted that night as he knew he might not be going to work for a week so he had been rushing around trying to sort everything out before he left. He looked so tired I thought to myself "I really can't have this baby until he has had at least a few hours sleep".


At midnight I took some panadeine forte that DH had left over from when he had his wisdom teeth out. They were stronger than I expected and I started freaking out thinking "what if the labour happens really fast from now and the midwife says I can't birth at home because the baby might be drugged????". I still couldn't sleep but they did make me feel very relaxed and made the contractions much more comfortable for a few hours.


At 5:30am DH's alarm went off and I told him he wasn't to go to work (so he stayed in bed the lazy bugger, leaving my mum to change & dress DS & make us all tea). At 7am the contractions were consistently 15minutes apart and getting strong. I started to feel frustrated (transition - in hindsight) and told my mum I was going to call the midwife to ask her advice about hurrying things along, e.g. a walk or something, most of the night I'd been moving peacefully from the bed to the lounge room floor to the toilet and trying to rest. Then all of a sudden the contractions started coming every two minutes and quite intense, though still not painful as such. I called the midwife and she said that sometimes that happens when the baby is in the wrong position and trying to get in the right one. Personally I thought the baby was coming but I figured she is the expert, and if it was coming it did seem a bit too good to be true. We were on the phone ten minutes and I had 3 contractions and she said they would be there within an hour and to call if I thought it might happen quicker than that.


I asked my mum to take DS out to breakfast as a toddler was a bit hard to cope with during contractions. Apparently she thought I was in the second stage at that point but she didn't say anything for some reason (she had seven kids I would have listened to her more than the as-yet-childless midwife!). I got in the bath and my waters broke immediately, that felt fantastic!! DH tried to talk me out of filling up the bath because he said we wouldn't have enough hot water for the birthing pool. I told him there wasn't going to be time for the birthing pool and asked him to ring the midwife and tell her I thought there might be some meconium in the waters (actually I didn't think there was, it seemed slightly tinged perhaps, I just wanted to hurry them up).


So he did that and then he came back in. By this stage I was making long half singing/half yelling 'Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh' sounds with each exhalation. With my first labour I screamed blue murder through the second stage so DH was quite amused and surprised by this 'happy sounding' (as he described later) noise (it had been our running argument through the pregnancy that I wasn't going to scream this time, he hadn't believed me that i could do it without screaming). In between contractions I joked that DS was going to love the noise I was making when he got home as it was the sort of noise kids love to make.


DH went to make a cup of tea. I remember looking out the window at the sky during a powerful contraction and feeling ecstatic. I'll never forget that moment. I started to feel stinging and I thought wow it really is happening. I put my hand down to see if I could feel the baby crowning (DS had taken over half an hour from when he started crowning so I still didn't think birth was imminent) and instead I felt something round and soft and squidgy (must have been the baby's face) and my first thought was "that can't be the head!!!". When my first son's head (with body) came out I jumped off the birthing stool with the shock and pain of it and the midwife was lucky to catch him, so it seemed impossible that the head could emerge with only mild stinging!!.


I yelled for DH and he came running in and said "oh sh*t!!! the head is out". I know, I said. He helped the body out and I pulled the baby up to my chest whispering reasurringly. He was very purple and didn't cry but I figured he must be breathing as he moved a little. I told DH to call the midwife and ask what we do.


The midwives and my planned birth companion (best friend) showed up about twenty minutes later to find me breastfeeding in the bath. The placenta fell out as soon as I moved my bottom. I called my mum to tell her to hurry back. They weighed Cain, he was 3.7kg and measured 52cm. We all had champagne (except for the midwife that had to go to work) and birthday cake.


We worked out from the messages on one of the midwives' phone that he was born around 8am, just 30 minutes after I first called my primary midwife.


Giving birth this time was great, I felt like I could have done it all again the next day. Instead of being agony like my first it actually went from being a bit uncomfortable during prelabour/first stage to feeling fantastic during the second stage.


I would strongly recommend homebirths to those women considering them. Being at home made giving birth feel so normal and natural, like it was no big deal. I feel so incredibly grateful to have had such an experience.

Edited by goneanon

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Edited by goneanon

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites


Edited by jlcze

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

The speedy homebirth of baby Louie


After the not entirely successful attempt at a homebirth with my son Tyler, I was very keen for this birth to turn out the way I wanted, at home.


As with Tyler, I had a lovely uneventful pregnancy, cared for by my wonderful midwife.


I went to bed on the Wednesday night, and was almost asleep, when I felt a 'pop' and a small gush of water emerged.

I continued to leak for the rest of the night, and had very mild period like pains, which I mostly slept right through.

Upon waking on Thursday morning, I had a couple of mild pains, nothing much at all, and the leaking, and bloody show stopped altogether.

I thought it was all a bit of a false alarm, so dh went to work, but he rang me within the hour, and told me he had decided to come home after all.

I was pretty relieved, as I had started to get a few more mild pains, and my waters had begun leaking again. This pattern continued until around 3:30pm, when quite suddenly my contractions began to have real 'bite' to them, they were about 10 minutes apart, so I was not really concerned about my mw getting here too quickly, and told her I would ring when they got closer.

In the meantime I had rung my doula, and she was on the way, in really heavy traffic.

I probaby had about a dozen of these pretty excruciating contractions all up, and remember thinking to myself, "Why the heck am I here at home, what an idiot, I want DRUGS!"

During the latest contraction, I found myself making these really guttural grunting noises, and thought, wow, that almost felt as though I wanted to push! but thought how silly is that, I couldn't possibly be needing to push yet.

The next contraction was a doozy, and I yelled out to Ian "Omg! I'm pushing!" Well, he completely freaked out, as an unassisted birth is his worst nightmare.

He immediately rang our mw, all he said was, "You've gotta come now! She's pushing!" - didn't even say who he was, he was in such a panic.

At this stage I was still in the living room, pacing around and leaning on the furniture, when quite suddenly I felt an intense need to take my skirt and knickers off, and I was on my hands and knees, as I couldn't stand up anymore, and proceeded to crawl up the hallway to my bedroom, which was the designated birthing room, calling instructions to dh to get a plastic sheet down, and a bedsheet for me to kneel on.

So this is how our doula found us, with Ian applying hot towels, bliss! and she started giving me firm massage on my lower back.

Ian's relief at no longer being alone with me was palpable, he visibly relaxed.

Our mw arrived about 20 minutes later, and I had been having great pushing contractions, so she could see about a 10 cent sized piece of head on view with each push.

That urge to push is just so lovely, so completely uncontrollable. I never had an urge with my last birth, so it was all new territory for me.

Although I was well on my way, pushing still continued for a good hour, until I could feel baby was almost crowning, and his head actually came out about half way, so I was at full stretch OWWWW!!!! and stayed there, OWWWWW!!!! until the next contraction 4 minutes later.

I pushed much too hard, and tore a bit, and my mw was telling me to slow down as the cord was around the neck, but I couldn't, and my mw managed to get the cord off anyway, and out my little baby shot, like a wee missile! He was born at 7:22pm, and was 8lb 2oz.

I have been reading Sarah Buckley's book, 'Gentle birth, gentle mothering' and she talks about the 'feotal ejection reflex' where you have a few really massive pushes at the very end to get baby out, and I can clearly remember thinking to myself just before baby was born, and the head kept feeling like it was sliding back in, "Where the HECK is my feotal ejection reflex!!!!!" I'm such a geek sometimes!

As baby was around a week 'early' he had an amazing amount of vernix on him still, was very white.

He was a little wheezy, had swallowed a bit of mucous, or amnio fluid, so our mw sucked some gunk out of his nose and mouth, and we gave him a little O2.

The placenta came out very easily (compared to last time) and at last I could relax!

Baby latched on nicely to the (left, of course!) breast and fed well, he almost hasn't stopped since!


My older son Tyler (2) was just amazing throughout the whole thing, he was either bouncing up and down on the bed in the birthing room, or reading a book, or playing with toys etc, he was quite interested, but never distressed, gave me a few funny looks when I was at my most vocal, but was pretty much cool as a cucumber.

Our doula was just great with him, I don't know what we would have done without her.


I did end up having to be stitched, which was a little traumatic, I'm not the best with needles, especially ones being injected into my vagina!


As the sewing up was being done, my partner ran into the room, really excited, as there was a seven foot multicoloured snake curled up on the doorstep, looking all the world like a guardian. So that was a special addition to the atmosphere, an uninvited, but most welcome guest at the proceedings!


I'm absolutely over the moon, despite feeling pretty shattered, I DID IT! I had my homebirth!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I just love reading of births at home :wub:


Thanks for sharing and congratulations daughterofaphrodite!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

These birth stories really helped me when planning my home birth, so I thought I'd better add mine!


Romily Sara was born on the 26th of September. She's my first baby, and we were planning a homebirth with my Mother, who is a midwife at the birth centre here, as our midwife.

I woke up at 12:15 with contractions every 3 mins - 45 secs long. I got up and read for an hour or two, stopping for the contraction to breathe. I called mum at 130 and she said to call again once the pain was bad enough to need Matt(DH) with me. I woke him at 2:30am and called mum again. We went for a walk, and contractions got to 1 min apart and 1min long. I was so excited thinking that this was all happening so fast. Mum arrived and we filled the pool. The contractions slowed down to 2 minutes apart, but were getting stronger. Mum thought I was getting fairly close so said to call Cathy (my sister) to come and join, as we wanted her there for the birth. I got into the pool at about 4am, was still going with contractions every 2mins and was starting to feel pretty horrid. By about 6am I was in tears and thinking I couldn't go on. Hoping it was transition, I asked mum to do an internal (my first).

Much to my dismay I was only 3-4cms dilated! After the shock wore off and I got my head around this being a long labour, not the short one I was expecting, I knuckled down and tried to focus more. The pain got worse, but somehow I got much better at coping. My endorphins really kicked in, and I got into some other state of consciousness! Cathy was putting hot towels on my back with every contraction, as I was moving so much, that my back was out of the water, and hurting. I got out of the pool a few times for fresh air or the toilet, but never stayed out for long, the water made the pain half as bad!

I wanted to start pushing at about 11am and Mum said that it should be ok. After nearly an hour, and no progress, she did another internal and realised that I still had a 1cm lip so I had to stop pushing! OMG that was hard! I had to fight it for an hour before I could start again- that was by far the hardest part. I felt like I'd have to do that forever, and that my baby would never arrive!!

Finally I was fully dilated and could push. What power! Being able to do something felt great. At 230pm I felt her head begining to crown, and held it as she came out. I felt so in control. being in the water meant that i could squat easily and had my hands free to hold her head all the way out. Mum gave a little tug, and the rest of her body shot out and up to the surface where I caught her and we had our first cuddle!

I stood up and birthed the placenta about 30 mins later, then hopped out to feed her in bed. I had a 2nd degree tear (she had such a huge head - 37cms!) so our other midwife came over to do the stitches, which wasn't as bad as I thought it would be - thank goodness!

Overall it was such an amazing experience. SO DAMN HARD, and I really wanted to give up, but we got there in the end. I really can't imagine having to do that in the hospital without the water, and with strangers coming and going. I feel so lucky that I was able to have her at home with people that I loved. I haven't felt any 'day three emotions' - it has just been such a gentle easy transition into parenthood. Our house is full of such good vibes it's amazing!

She's now 5 days old and is so peacefull. I can't believe how lucky we are. She feeds and sleeps so well She did get a pretty bad eye infection, but some antibiotic drops cleared that up. I'm GBS positive, so we had to keep taking her temp as I didn't have the antibiotics, but nothing came of it, and she's in the clear now, so that's reassuring.

We didn't have any scans at all throughout the pregnancy, so we didn't know anything about her except what our intuition told us. She was 9pound6 which I'm glad I didn't know!! I really enjoyed trying to tune in to her while I was pregnant. I felt so strongly that she would be a peacefull, quiet baby and that's exactly what she is. Nothing phases her - she didn't even cry for her heel prick test!

I so strongly encourage anyone who can, to have a homebirth. Even though I realise I was lucky to have a mum for a midwife -I still would reccommend it to others. If I had been in the hospital I could well have asked for an epidural, as I really struggled with the pain, but if I had, then that amazing feeling of pushing her out, and the accomplishment at the end would've been taken from me! I feel so proud of myself, and nothing will ever take away the amazing feeling of getting through it. She is well worth that pain!


Good luck to all of you - what a miracle birth is!!!!


edited to add this link to some pics of the birth and of our little girl!


Edited by sophiedoph

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow! Fantastic story Sophie! :D I always especially love hearing stories of first time births at home.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh my goodness Rachel, what a fatastic story! You told it so well, I felt like I was there, it made me remember my own births.

Thank you so much for sharing and congratulations again!


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Fantastic story Rachel! Made me want to do it all over again. :)

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Create New...