Sign in to follow this  
~TCBF~

Someone remind me of why we are doing this..

~TCBF~

Sometimes it feels so pointless.

There is a thread going on at the moment about people using their dryers on sunny days.

So many people are guilty of this.. And they give the stupidest reasons.

How do you get through to them?

waawa17

Take a breath and count to ten? I don't know!

I do try to remember to walk a mile in someone else's shoes. I've used the dryer on a sunny day when I've been too sick to contemplate hanging the washing out. Not everyone can do everything all of the time - sometimes we do end up having to content ourselves with "doing our best".

Drying cloth nappies, napkins etc in a drier is still better than single-use stuff. We're all at different points on a continuum, and the only person not living in a glass house is a childfree vegan living self-sufficiently in a yurt that they never travel away from :)

This is not meant to be fatalism at all, just reality/instrospection and my own chosen way of not getting angry or dispirited. I still think everyone needs to do their bit to educate, lobby, and get the word out.

Lara

Posh_Girl

My whopping big footprint means that I can hardly point fingers, but all you can do is show people alternatives and hope they will catch on.

It saddens me when I talk to friends who are just stupidly ignorant and don't care, and I feel like I'm bashing my head against a brick wall, but I do as much as I can and hope that it my own little way I am helping things. I hate the attitude that one person can't make a difference, because, quite frankly, it is bullsh*t excuse for being lazy.

Restraint

Edited by Restraint

Guest --narelle--

Just think back 2 years ago - I don't remember many enviro threads being around?? Look now, we have a forum dedicated to it. Without EB I wouldn't be doing what I am. It does change and its baby steps. Unfortunately there'll always be the detractors, thats life. But look at the changes here! :thumbs:

Jeneral

OH.. I remember 20 years ago when it first came into 'mainstream' to even think about being 'green' without conjuring up images of tree huggin hippies! lol

There was a special on Channel 7 and a few books and stuff - it was the time when recycling began, and maccas first started changing its image when it removed all the polysterene containers etc. The whole 'scene' lasts a few years and then people get bored and move on to some other issue and then a few years later (like now) the issue re-emerges and again we see some major changes.. and again it will probably die down in a year or two and most will move on to other issue but will hopefully have made some postive and permanent changes to the way we all live our lives!

The generation of parents who are now starting families would be those who had the environmental education through schools. Which is pretty sad given the ignorance that seems to be out there.. I dont know.. maybe gettign the message at school and seeing it ignored at home made people believe its not important.. sigh.. who knows.

KatCL

I so know what you are saying. THere is still a whole group of people, in our generation who do not GET IT, and how easy it is to make some changes. One example- I am in the process of cleaning out my mother's house. My mother was a packrat and the house is FULL of stuff. My brothers' responses? Get a dumpster delivered to the house, hire some guys to load it all in and send it off to the landfill. :rant: I am insisting that we donate, recycle, find homes for as much as possible. Yes, at the end of the day there will be some waste to the landfill, but I want to minimize it. Most of the stuff in the house can be donated to charity, and lots can be recycled.

It is frustrating. I have decided the best I can do is commit to change myself and for my family and educate my extended family and friends as best I can.

Merz- I live in Canada, and we have communities near us that have bylaws against hanging out your laundry. It is infuriating. A friend of mine lives in one and is challenging the bylaw. She has been told that the bylaw protects these beautiful new subdivisions from the visual disharmony of hanging washing. :glare: Sheesh....Some people just can't see beyond their backyards.

Midwitch

In a country as warm as Australia I cant even comprehend why anyone even OWNS a clothes dryer. :unsure:

lorana

I oscillate between utter despair/frustration because some people just dont care enough to make even small changes (including ones which will save them money!) and hope that I will have some impact. EG DP and I try to live a very green life. My mother knows what we are on about but generally undermines us and/or takes the p*ss. I have been on at her for YEARS to walk to the gym and back instead of driving because uh, she's going to get exercise so an extra half hour walk won't exactly hurt (and she doesn't work now - used to drive on teh way back from work). Whaddya know, FINALLY she has started walking. It's a small thing but I am glad I pestered. I have sent all my female friends information about menstrual cups. 4 sound interested (out of 25 or so). If they start and tell their friends, it's better than nothing. And so on. But yes, some days I just feel it's all a waste of time and want to cut off friendships with those almost going outo f their way to destroy the planet and honestly, until this forum, felt very lonely about the fact that I had almost no one except DP to share these issues with... so thank you all!