Sign in to follow this  

no fabric softener?

hey there,

Someone brought to my attention the other day, that it would be so much better for the environment if we were not to use fabric softener. I never really thought about this possible chance (duh) and am now trying it. So far, no real big difference!

Do you still use it? What are your experiences re: rough towels etc? My mum suggested not to leave them hanging in the sun for too long to avoid them getting too rough.

Hmmmm well this is just one of the 'green' things I am trialling at the moment, am going to keen an eye on this forum for other tips! :)

DalaiMama

We don't have town water so are very conscious of what we put down our sinks and white vinegar is the most natural fabric softener around...give it a go!

wilding

I've never used it and have never had a problem with towels or anything even if they have been outside for a few day's. Mum never uses it either and hasn't had a problem :)

Guest ~ffm~

I haven't used fabric softener for over a year now. Have found no difference to my washing at all. I agree with your mum, just don't leave your towels out on the line for too long. I get them as soon as I know they will be dry.

Mel

Rainbow.Nomad

I've never used it. You'll probably find your towels are more absorbent, as fabric softener is water repellent.

brazen

i only use it once every few weeks when i do a load of synthetics which would become staticky without it. you know that fabric softener is really really bad for your washing machine too?!

JRA

I have never used it.

ÄÑGÈL

I don't use it anymore.. Haven't done so for about 12months. I don't notice any difference to my clothes at all..

you know that fabric softener is really really bad for your washing machine too?!
Oh yes!!! I am still trying to get the grotty, black, sticky gunk off the insides of my machine :sick:

lorana

I've never used it.

Lizz

I haven't used it for about two years now. Though I did only ever use it on a load of towels, I've never used fabric softener on normal clothes.

If my towels start to get a bit scratchy I just run them through the dryer for fifteen minutes after they've dried outside. I only have to do this once every now and then.

And it means I can wash my Enjo in the washing machine becaue it's never had fabric softener used in it before.

Xiola

Just got my washing machine fixed recently and the repairman told me that fabric softener is the worst thing you can put into your washer. It builds up over time meaning that eventually the water you wash your clothes in is essentially dirty. White vinegar is the way to go and I have seen absolutely no difference in the texture of our clothes.

Guest --narelle--

I stopped using it years ago when i first got Enjo. A good way to clean your machine is a cup full of vinegar in a hot full tub - let it go through a cycle with nothing in the machine.

~kylie~

I don't use it either - we use vinegar. :)

Guest dixiebelle

I was never one for fabric softner anyway... but stopped using it when started buying baby clothes and pre-washing them.

However, I have been after a non-chemical softner recipe, maybe just to put in with the towels, to give them a nice scent, like maybe using small amount of jasmine (or another) essential oil... Has anyone got any ideas? (though I do find that drying them in the sun keeps them fluffy and clean smelling anyway.)

Jeneral

Just as a side note for interests sake:

Fabric Softener increases the flammability of clothing!

So by not using fabric softener you are:

reducing waste

reducing the chemicals you physically contact each day

reducing fire danger

reducing wear on your washign machine

improving the quality of your grey water for re-use!

edited to add...

improving the absorbancy of your towels!

Edited by Jeni99

Posh_Girl

When I first moved in with my partner, i couldn't believe he used fabric softener. I have never used it in my life. Quickly got him out of the habit and he doesn't even notice the difference.

I actually like a rough towel! I like that extra invigorating scrub when I get out of the shower, but if you like soft towels, a scoop of bicarb soda added to the final cycle will soften them up.

~muddleheaded-wombat~

I was coming in to post about

Fabric softener not all that great as it makes your towels repel the water but I see that someone else beat me to it..

Think I might try the vinegar trick too!!

Edited by tassiemum74

auntiesocial

Dont use fabric softener at all. Its expensive..more chemicals down the drain and doesnt make the clothes feel or smell any better. :) If I want nice smelling sheets, I use the water miscible lavender oil..a few drops of it and it smells byoootiful! :)

kris123

I've just stopped using fabric softener as I've started using cloth nappies and it isn't good for them. I haven't really noticed a difference (except less perfumed smell, which is fine by me anyway).

Does anyone know how to get the fabric softener goo out of your machine easily?

Kristine

Guest dixiebelle

Just bought Borax to use on bathroom mould, and oticed it says it can be used as a fabric softner... maybe I will try adding a few drops of a nice smelling essential oil to that 9hopefully without it clumping), and easily get soft, nice smelling towels and sheets!??!

Guest dixiebelle

Just as I was reading about your line dried 'scratchy' towels and thinking ours don't go like that, I realised it was because I usually hang them on the line we have under the patio (for overcast days)... just like you! And when we do hang them in the direct sun, they dry quicker, but def. have noticed the scratchiness!

2~gorgeous~boys

Another one who uses white vinegar!

Midwitch

I've never used it in my life.

beautifulgirls

Vinegar is the go :D

Only learned of it on EB, and now use it in every wash and everything is very soft.

Our LovelyLiv

We use white vinegar too, and I add three or four drops of essential oil to the dispenser every wash to get a nice smell. We don't use washing powder/liquid either, we use Bio balls in our wash and everything always comes out lovely and clean (DP's work clothes and sheets and towels get washed in liquid though).