Guest my-lil-family

baby feeding every two hours

Guest my-lil-family

My 5 week old is feeding every two hours, day and night, how do i get him to go at least 3 hours?

He feeds fairly quickly , so maybe he is not getting enough at one time?

Becca1605

Hi,

Just wanted to let you know my baby is 16 weeks old and fed 2 hourly for weeks. He would go anywhere from 2 to 2 1/2 hours but no longer. He has just started going 3 - 31/2 hourly in the last3 weeks or so...so no advice just wanted to let you know you are not alone...but it is very tiring.

Guest my-lil-family

it is tiring, especially at night.

Bec

Picasso

Hi, I had the same issues as you, my bubs was feeding every 2 hours when he was little. Once I tried to stretch him out to 3 hours but it didn't work so I just went with what he wanted.

It did get better though, as he got older he stretched out to 2.5 hourly, then 3 hourly etc.

Hang in there :)

Night0wl

That's totally normal :) My son fed every 90 minutes for his first 6 weeks or so, then went to 2 hourly. Yes it is tiring but they only have tiny little tummies that empty quickly. It wont be forever, just hang in there :)

Expat

Normal! When he's older he'll probably go longer.

I dreamed of two hourly feeds. During the day my baby went for an hour and a half most of the time.

SuezS

Just to let you know you're not alone, hang in there.

My bubs (nearly 4 weeks) sometimes feeds two hourly, but last night stretched out to four hourly *bliss* but tonight it could be a totally different story, just need to go with the flow.

I try to make sure bubs is fully awake when he is feeding, a nappy change helps and talk to him to encourage him to 'drink up' to fill up as much as possible.

Guest my-lil-family

Oh good! Im not alone lol. I thought that he was not drinking enough.

The nurse told me he should be feeding every 4 hours, but surely in the heat he should drink more often?

MissBecc

My DD did that for the first 3-5 months.. every 2 hours day and night and only about 5-10 mins on each breast.. it was very tiring BUT, my maternal health nurse said she is putting on weight so its just because she has become very proficent (S?) at getting the milk she needs to she is full quickly, and every 2 hours is also fine... means she will be more of a snacker... which is true now too... she is more of a grazer than 3 or so main meals!

As long as he is happy, and putting on weight i woudnt stress... its just tiring!

Hang in there!

:smile:

Bondia

Do you feed on both sides each feed? What is your indication bub has finished? And what is the indication bub wants another feed? Sometimes it can be confusing to know - does an unsettled baby mean hunger? If they stop sucking for a bit have they finished? Etc etc....

I think like others say, it's normal, but if he is doing really short feeds you might like calling the ABA and just seeing if they have any advice for whether you might be able to get him to take a bit more each feed. Worth a shot, if you're really tired...

~strawberry~

Hi MLF,

Two hourly feeds would be exhausting! Especially overnight would be tiring. Are you able to express a little after each feed and get your DH to give one of the overnight feeds to get a bit of sleep?

I had to express when Ella was born and being tube fed, and so she could have EBM when I was home but she was still in hospital. I have now kept up the habit and DH does the 9.30ish feed so I can go to bed and get a block of sleep before the night feeds, and then he does most of the night feeds on weekends. It does wonders to revive me and bring back some sanity!

Jo

WildWhirl

OMG!!! Feeding 2 hourly day and night, and some of the PP said they were feeding 1.5 hourly for a few months!!!! I don't think that could be good for your health never getting a decent block of sleep for months on end. I would definitely call the ABA or express some milk and get someone to do the feeds instead some of the time.

~*bumblebee*~

You are so not alone my dd fed every 2 hrs day and night up until about 2 weeks ago where she started to go for 3hrs during the day but she still feeds every 1.5-2hrs from about 3 in the arvo to around 10pm then goes about 3-4 hrs until early morning.

Do you have a happy and contented baby if you do hang in there it is exhusting you feel like a cow and get nothing done just wack on a dvd and enjoy the time together. As others have said it does get easier.

mrsploppypants

hiya

I had the same issue with my eldest. During the night feeds I just put her into bed with me and fed her every two hours. It meant I didn't have to get up to her and she was very content. when she started sleeping longer I just transfered her to her cot at night and we all did just fine.

I realise co-sleeping is not everyone's cup of tea but it may help.

plops

~mouse~

At 5 weeks, I wouldn't take the nurse's suggestion of 4hourly feeds ;) From memory DD was another who was feeding every 1.5-2hrs at that stage (its all a bit blurred! LOL)

As the PP have said, try to make sure bubs has a full feed off both breasts. Then start stretching the feeds if you want, very slowly though, maybe out to 2hrs 15mins etc (well rough timing anywayz!) to begin with and then add intervals onto that.

For night feeds, are you getting up to feed? I definitely reccommend your DH get up, change bubs and bring him back to bed for you to feed. Then he can take him back to bed LOL Seriously, even if he only does this for one feed, it means you are getting some rest while still feeding :)

Guest my-lil-family

purpleoj - He wont take a bottle.

He is feeding from both breasts most of the time and he does have that drunk on milk look when he is done. Im sure that he will space his feeds out when he gets older.

For the last two nights he has been going two to three hours so thats not too bad.