TheWizardsGirl

Issue with ABC Centre

TheWizardsGirl

Hi there.

We're currently experiencing problems with an ABC Centre in Brisbane and wondering if anyone else has also had problems with them? If so, did you raise these concerns with anyone outside the centre? Just wondering what the best avenue to take is.

Thanks!

Kym

Mirjam1

I don't know what exactly your concerns are but whenever I have a problem @ our ABC Centre i either address it with the Manager - if possible (like some of the staff was always just sitting under the awnings having a chat amongst themselves,when the kids were playing in the sandpit etc.) or if not comfortable I ring their 1800 number and a parent liaison officer or area manager rings back. so far I always worked it out with them.

Good luck

TheWizardsGirl

Many thanks for your replies. Will look into it further. Main issue I have is that DS wasn't given breakfast on 2 consecutive days because 1) they forgot and then 2) they were too busy!!! :mad:

Mirjam1

Oh ok, I don't think you will find it in the policy folder then... LOL. That's clearly an issue I would take up with the manager of the centre (if she isn't the one caring for and forgetting your son)and point out that this happened and you won't accepted it yaddy ya. If she doesn't look into it I would report it to Area Manager.

Hope they can assure you he does get fed as you pay for this service!!

Good luck

klbseb

I don't use an ABC centre, but wanted to know how you knew they didn't give him breakfast?

I know my centre gives breakfast as soon as they arrive.

If they don't do it again, I'd bring it up with the director and if no satisfactory response, with the area manager as advised above.

TheWizardsGirl

I took his breakfast in myself and put it in the fridge, advised one of the girls it was there and when I left and DS settled, to give it to him. That afternoon the group leader of Toddlers Room approached me and apologised that he hadn't been given it - she wasn't given the message it was in the fridge until 9:45am. The second day I took breakfast in, put it in the fridge, told the staff member the same thing, when I'd left to give it to him. She assured me she would. That afternoon I went to check the fridge and I found that his breakfast from the past 2 days was in there. When questioning staff, it was apparent they had too many kids that morning and didn't get around to it. :mad: What makes it even worse, is that I had also written it in the book that he hadn't yet eaten and it was in the fridge!

He has been taken out and put into a private Day Care a bit further from home but hopefully they have their heads screwed on. In process of writing a letter to management. I discussed with the Director and her response was "will talk to the girls" and never heard boo back.

I think it's sad, very sad. How many other kids are missing out and can't tell anyone about it?

TheWizardsGirl

I can understand that. DS was dropped off at 7:15am so that means it was over 2 hours before he even got morning tea. :sad:

klbseb

Ahh, now I understand. My centre provides breakfast for the kids and DD2 is dropped of at about 6.40 so will get it straight away. You're right though over 2 hours to wait for something to eat is a very long time.

I hope you have a better time at your new center (I travel 35 minutes to mine). I find that private centres are more approachable - well mine is anyway.

Good luck.

Bel

I had food issues with my ABC centre (I took Josh out because of it)

I got NO satisfaction from the centre's director, so I went to Head Office.

I had to call the Admission Hotline (as they dont have a complaint line) but someone got back to me within 48 hours, and my issue was addressed - I felt it needed to be taken seriously since I had pulled Josh out because of it!

TheWizardsGirl

Thanks Bel, will give it a go.

Currently in process of drafting a "disappointment" letter, outlining our concerns at the Centre (it extends beyond food unfortunately).

Lets hope the new Centre we have him enrolled in is a success! :wink:

PinkiesTwins

I am so glad that you've removed your son from that childcare centre and have found somewhere with more emphasis on 'caring' for children :wink: Regardless of whether the issue can be resolved with management I think it's important to send your 'disappointment' letter. It makes me feel a little sad for the other children (whose parents aren't as vigilant as yourself) who might not get breakfast within a reasonable time frame either. 2 hrs is completely unacceptable in my opinion AND 2 days in a row! Grrr.. :huh:

You should contact Today Tonight or ACA if you dont have any luck HeHe

Edited by PinkiesTwins

TheWizardsGirl

DP is assisting me with letter writing at the moment. He's insisting we include in it that we expect to be refunded the fees we paid and that all we have received is "babysitting" rather than quality care. I'm not sure how it will go but will see. (It worked when he wrote to Chanel V to complain about them using so much graffitti for advertising (DP is Police Officer) and they sent him a swag of stuff so he wouldn't take the complaint further and to higher levels.) Will see how we go. :smile:

stellarbaby
I find that private centres are more approachable - well mine is anyway.

Aren't ABC centres private???

Another avenue (if the aforementioned ones aren't successful) is to ring the Department of Communities, the Queensland Government Department that actually licenses all child care centres. They will be able to advise you on another course of action.

Good luck

Sue

Guest fendi

It's just not right, these ABC centres taking over everywhere. No one organisation should have such a monopoly, it's like a plague.

Reading posts like this make me so angry. Placing children into day care is not a decision any parent makes lightly. The more I read about ABC the more it seems clear that the organisation's first and foremost goal is to make a buck. Hope you're happier with the new centre. At the very least your son should get fed there. :mad:

Leee

That is not good at all, especially two days. My DD goes to an ABC and they have a policy of breakfast before 7.30am, so if your child is in after 7.30am they must have breakfast first. Although in the babies room they are flexible.

My DD hasn't had breakfast at the centre for over 6 months, probably only 1-2 times as she is an early riser but they always ask.

I suppose ABC's are the same as other child cares, you get some good ones and some bad ones.

TheWizardsGirl

Yeah, I think it's hit and miss as with anything. All of the little centres are being taken over by ABC's!

I am not going to bag all ABC Centre's, but the bad experience I have had with one will prevent me from sending DS another.

I had him in Mother Duck Daycare on northside Brisbane and they were just fantastic. I couldn't recommend them enough to anyone! It's sad I can't say the same for ABC.

TazzieD

Litlrayofsunshine, is the ABC you are referring to one preferred by defence on northside Brisbane? If it is, then you aren't the only one to pull your child out. One of my workmates had a gazillion problems with them and just had a guts full. The only trouble is trying to find places anywhere else so you can move your child.

Aren't ABC centres private???
stellarbaby, ABC is a listed company, so no it is not private, it is all about making money for the shareholders.

mummamia02
stellarbaby, ABC is a listed company, so no it is not private, it is all about making money for the shareholders.

I think it is disgraceful that money is being made through early childhood education and our own children! :angry:

I think ABC need to have a long hard look at themselves!

I would never send my child to an ABC centre just out of principle!!

Edited by lis

stellarbaby

TazzieD - in terms of philosophy, this puts them right up there with private centres, thankyou very much!!! When you have something/someone to satisfy (whether it be a bottom line or shareholders) you are NOT necessarily going to do what is best for children and families. Sorry, but it's just a question of semantics for me.

Sue

Edited by stellarbaby

TheWizardsGirl

TazzieD

I am glad he likes his new centre! I guess it proves there are some good ones out there - you just need to find them!

Cath-In-SA
I would never send my child to an ABC centre just out of principle!!

I used to feel like this too. Until we went and looked at one and moved from a dodgy "private" centre to an ABC. We have never been happier.

As for taking over the world, they only have 20% of places in Australia, so I would hardly classify that as a monopoly.

I am not covering all ABC centres in the same blanket as a lot of PP's and am not naive enough to believe that there are not bad ABC's out there too. Just like there are bad "private" and "community" CC's out there.

You just have to traul through the crap sometimes to find the good ones. We had to go through 2 bad centres to finally get a good one. litlrayofsunshine, I am glad you have found a good one too.

~MakkaPakka~

Our neighbours were taking their children to an ABC centre also in south west Brisbane and they ended up taking their children out as well. On at least two occasions their child had come home with huge marks and scratches/bruising from an incident that occured at daycare (also seen by leaders ect) but never written up or anything said to the parents!!!!

They then shifted their children to a "community" based childcare - where my DD goes, and have had no problems.

The childcare that my DD goes to is great - they provide healthy meals for the kids (all documented - pretty embarasing when you have a child that eats like a horse :blush: ) everything from what they do during the day to incidents ect are reported and documented - and part of their actual "introdcution" to daycare - the parent has to go with the child to daycare - with decreasing hours (and depending where the child/bubs is) over there weeks.

This gives a great idea as to what routines happen, how your child is looked after, what types of foods are served, how they treat a child who is misbehaving ect.

Amanda-Jane

babypenguin

Oh no. I have my DD - 22 months, starting at an ABC Centre in Brisbane next week. I already have the guilts, even though it is for only 1 day a week. I'm starting to feel sick thinking about it.

asil7777

My DD attends an ABC and I couldn't be happier with them. I returned to work when Little Miss was 8 weeks old....something that was VERY hard for me to do! The original centre we had her at wasn't an ABC and we had MANY meetings with the centre director about things we were not very happy with. Not one complaint about our ABC DD just loves going to "school" and I have no problems with any of the carers in her centre. They are great for advice and work with you on trying to sort issues such as sleep problems, toilet training etc.

Freddo