MummyTard

What are your top 3 money saving tips?

lalala

Maybe the moderator could pin it to the top?

chickenhead

Three main rules for us:

Only two bank accounts - no more. One for savings, and don't dip into it. Even if you only put away $10.00 a week, work at making it grow. Use the other account for everything else including bills/shopping etc.

No credit cards, ever! If you don't have the money - don't spend it!

The biggest rule - cheap is dear in the long run. Eg. You might think that when you save $2.00 because you bought no-name washing detergent instead of morning fresh you are saving money. The dearer one is dearer for a reason, it will last you 10 times as long. Think of what you'll save over a year if that helps, by investing a dollar or two more each time you buy such things. Are you saving more buying cheaper toilet paper if you have to use half the roll each time you go, for example?

TheWizardsGirl
No credit cards, ever! If you don't have the money - don't spend it!

I agree!

Littlegreenfrog

I love this thread! thanks guys

1 - Have a c-card of ONLY $500, buy everything on that, then when you get paid transfere your money onto that. Also you get points. which adds up fast.

2 - Pay extra tax, get nice refund at end of year, use that to buy something big for family or house or holiday.

3 - when buying nappies (desposable) get a raincheck from the supermarket, which last for a month.

eg: huggies on sale for $30bucks a box, buy a box when on sale, get a raincheck, go back within that month and you still get that huggies box at $30bucks instead of $42.00

Cheers

Trudie

Guest funkychick

Great ideas!! :D Thanks

TheWizardsGirl

I'm currently going through the house and listing clothes etc I no longer want/need on eBay. Whatever I get for them is a bonus and I put the amount I receive, minus the postage fee straight into ING. Is a nice way to build up the kitty in preparation for Christmas. :D

aafreen

This thread is amazing! Where can i buy the cloth wipes and modern cloth nappies and which brand should i get ? Makes me feel silly asking this as most people seem to be on it while i don't even know where to get them !

mumin07

aafreen, Check out the Nappies Tips & Questions Category in forum here.

For a List of Modern Cloth Nappy Supplies: www.ozclothnappies.org has a great list.

MummyTard

Thanks so much everyone for your tips! I hope this thread stays active, I check in often :wub:

Tripitaka

1. I make a list of all birthdays and Christmas presents, set a budget and buy through out the year when there are specials. It has saved me heaps of money

2. I never buy wrapping or birthday cards. I re use the kids paintings and get the kids to make the cards.

3. I do a big shop at Aldi for the basics and nappies.

Cymbeline

Hey Cheeky - I've just started doing the whole present list thing the last few months and phew! Has it made a difference - especially for last minute gifts & kids b'day parties - I've started buying up a few bargain bin items and keeping them in my pressie stash - so I'm no longer stuck for a 3yo or 4yo b'day present! And the kids don't care what they get anyway, something small is enough!

And I'm with you on the gift wrap / card thing. So much cuter too!

Sandy. :)

ps - I finished shopping for all of my xmas presents in July! :grin: And even managed to wrap and deliver some to relo's we were visiting and won't be seeing until next year (thus saving on postage! Bonus!!)

ullyoop

I haven't read through everything yet but just wanted to add before I forget that if you purchase stuff on layby from (i think) kmart, and it goes on sale ie 30% off clothes etc whilst they're on layby, you can tell them you have this stuff on layby and they lower the price to the sale price.....

oh and i found out that you can choose not to have the tax free threshold so in the tax time, you get that $6K back.....

TheWizardsGirl
if you purchase stuff on layby from (i think) kmart, and it goes on sale ie 30% off clothes etc whilst they're on layby, you can tell them you have this stuff on layby and they lower the price to the sale price.....

Can't say I have heard of this one before? :unsure:

Cushla

With clothing and shoes, I often try and negotiate a % off whatever I'm buying if I find something about it that is faulty or less than perfect.

For e.g. last week I bought some shoes for DD from a store that was renovating. The inside of the shoes were slightly dirty from all the dust and I asked for a discount. As it was already 20% off kids clothing/shoes the floor manager said it could only be reduced by a further 1%. The checkout operator then said "I'll round it down to $18.04 (from $18.99) to indicate on the receipt that it is faulty".

I was happy with that because although it only represented a few dollars, it's money in pocket, not theirs :)

So any buttons loose, threads showing, marks, etc. - I hit them up for a discount and it has worked every time.

Antevorta

I do online surveys (for a big company) to get things like movie tickets, coles and wish gift cards (usful to have on hand if i run out of money for the week).

If anyone would like to know the site PM me with your email address and i will send you the details.

kazabella

Hey this thread is excellent i used to meal plan but got slack but now I am going to stick to it. I use cloth nappies when home but use disp. when out. I do a lot of baking for lunches and snacks and love my slow cooker.

tracey295

We have always stuck to a budget that way things don't get out of hand.

The things that we live by is:-

1. Only spend $450/month on food this has increased since having our DS & also includes meat, you can take the food so much further if you make everything yourself. Basically if you run out too bad you have to wait till the next month for it, with the exception of bread & milk that is bought as we need it.

2. Everything goes on the mastercard & is paid off monthly. Added bonus we get to use the reward points for treats for ourselves.

3. Turn off power point that are not in use, including any lights that are turned on. This has saved us about $20 a quarter by doing it so far. We also do not use a dryer for our clothes the sun is free & when it rains we have an inside clothes line, takes two days but hey we have enough of everything to get us by the extra day, otherwise I have ironed them dry ;)

4. We always make sure we have a certain amount of money in our bank account, once we save the next $5,000 then we forget about that money & go on with the next $5,000 that way we have plenty of money sitting in our account for emergencies, plus this cash is off-set against our home loan so it reduces the amount of interest we pay :D

joykey

Wow I have loved this thread! Here is my contribution:

Homemade laundry powder:

4 bars pure soap, grated (I use the generic version of sunlight soap, and you can cut into small chunks and "grate" in the food processor)

2 cups borax

2 cups washing soda (I'd never heard of this before I saw this recipe; it's in the same aisle as washing powders etc, near the starches and stain removers - the brand is Lectric)

Mix together, and use about 1 tablepoon per full load. You can make this into a liquid if you prefer, but it makes a huge batch and you have to store it in a number of massive nappy buckets with lids - who has room for that? If you prefer, dissolve the tablespoonful before adding to wash, but I usually just bung it in and have only had a few times when it hasn't dissolved properly - usually when my water level has been set wrongly, lol! I don't use fabric softener, but I find using this detergent mix helps with softening clothes, and works just as well as the expensive greenie liquid I was using.

Homemade Hand Soap:

i bar pure soap, grated

1 bar Dove, grated (can use the pink or green bars for pretty colours!)

Boil up in about 6 cups water until soap dissolves, allow to cook, blend, then decant into pump packs. I store the remains in a large glass jar, but you could just fill 4 or 5 at a time for various rooms about the house - kitchen, laundry, bathrooms etc.

Homemade Body Wash;

(now bear in mind, I haven't used this one yet, I'm waiting to run out of the one I'm using)

1 bar Velvet pure bath soap, grated

1 bar Dove, Nivea or Sorbolene soap, grated

Heat in 2 litres of water, then add sorbolene or some other type of moisturising lotion, allow to cool, blend and put in pump pack.

Now, for coffee for work, I buy coffee bags. I would consider this a disgusting waste of money for coffee at home, but at work I am more likely to spend $3 per cup if I don't have my coffee bags with me, because I hate instant. The bags cost me about $6 or $7 for 28 bags.

I like to buy paperback novels from ebay and then I resell them when I've read them.

joykey

I forgot to mention, if you buy lots of things online, have a look at www.emailcash.com.au They have lots of partners (similar to the flybuys system) that you can earn points for shopping with. You join up, and then when you want to shop for something, go to the emailcash website and check out their merchants. There are usually a few to compare, and good value. You can also earn points for taking surveys etc, and they add up. You can then exchange your points for rewards - including cheques! All for doing shopping that you would have done anyway. In fact, when I had to go interstate a few months ago, I booked my car rental through emailcash, and it was a rental company that also did flybuys, so I got points from both! And I booked my flight through them as well.

aidensmum

For those with mortgages, play around with the home loan calculators on your banks website. See how much you can save by paying more than the minimum repayments. Its amazing and has motivated us to pour every bit we can into the mortgage. We pay double the minimum repayments and have turned a 30 year loan into a 6 1/2 year mortgage. Six years of strict budgeting is easy when you know there financial freedom at the end of it.

adelaidegoddess

Excellent thread! Well done everyone. You are my budget gurus!

I try to make my motto -

Fix it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without.

I'm not always that good!

One thing that hasn't been mentioned.

If you have broadband internet/adsl2++ invest in a VOIP phone - a voice over internet protocol phone (or use a VOIP adapter and an extra phone). The phone uses your internet connection to make the calls which is always connected.

We save around $50 a month on our phone bill. It was only around $75 a month to begin with but now we just pay the minimum line rental and have our regular phone for incoming calls and we make all our outgoing calls on our VOIP phone.

We prepay $20 every 3 or 4 months online to a carrier and then our calls are charged at 10c for an hour anywhere in Australia. It's wonderful to keep in touch with family and friends more often and at any time of the day. See cariers such as www.evoip.com.au. There are great rates for overseas as well.

The quality of the sound is a bit echo-ey and we get some crackles every now and again but it's a small price to pay.

I now love it when phone companies ring or knock at my door and tell me they can save me money on my phone bill. They always leave in disgust because they can't!!

Give it a try!

Oh and one more thing - we have a pretty new house so are still buying the big items like extra lounges etc so we overexaggerate our income for the Family Assistance Office by about 8K so that at the end of the financial year we have a wonderful spending time!

Edited by adelaidegoddess

WhatWouldBuffyDo

Tupperware. Initial outlay is....well...huge but in the long run the savings add up especially since it lasts for so long.

shellsbells123

Avoid the credit card :evilgrin: , avoid emotional spends :cry: and try to buy on sales for the kids - I recommend www.salealerter.com.au for Sydney mums :D

miriams

1. Buy fruits and veges from markets like Paddy's Market(Flemington). Go at the end of the trading day and get great bargains as vendors try to offload as much of their produce as possible (they can't sell it the next week).

2. Buy children's clothes ( if not your own sometimes :blush: ) from good opshops like Anglicare. Vinnie's is usually a bit nasty in terms of clothing but often has good kid's books.

3. This is one we don't end up doing as often as we'd like but making your own lunches for work is much cheaper than buying it ..... obviously.

And generally...

Buying food items like rice, beans, atta (wholemeal) flour, spices, olives etc is usually much cheaper at ethnic grocery stores where you can buy them in bulk. Finding a simple dress pattern you like and using it constantly for cotton summer dresses works out cheaper in the long run and you get quicker at it when you know the pattern. It's also good for seasons when all the stores seem to be selling trashy clothes.