Sign in to follow this  
gumby

Jack Russell, when is she fully grown??

gumby

Hi Ladies :)

We have an almost 5 month old Jack Russell (female) who is really quite small. She's grown a lot from when we first got her (runt that was rejected by mother), but, compared to others of her breed (a few friends have JR's and several of the golden oldies I see walking around the lake here near my place have them too), she's tiny (about as big as a 9/10 week old lab pup)! Is this normal or the small end of normal??

She has the stout barrell chest now and sleek middle - she is healthy, eats well and is walked regularly (not to mention she is like a pogo stick whenever you are around her and the boys love to play with her) has had all her shots and when I asked the vet nurse if she'd grow any more she said she couldnt be sure. I dont know if she's a pure bred JR, :blush: I know thats not helpful but thats not why we took her IYKWIM

Everything I've read gives me the impression that a dog is 'mature' at 12 months, but, is that to do with reproductive organs (not an issue here BTW) or is that growth??

Just FYI

jack-russell-terriers-pictures-07.jpg

She looks identical to this, but, imagine the dogs legs being half as long and you have our Maggie ;)

Any help would be greatly appreciated, she's having trouble getting noticed underfoot so I'm honestly thinking of putting a cat bell on her or something if she's going to stay this small :D

Guest shauna'smum

After your description of your pup, I tend to think that it has a either a dose of fox terrier or maybe even chihuaha mixed in.

One thing I have noticed is that Jack Russells that are not bred by registered breeders tend to look rather different than how the standard is described, some have pricked ears, others fold over at the tip, some are longer and short others have the longer leg.

As long as your vet has given the pup a clean bill of health and she is eating well and full of energy then I wouldint worry to much. Im gathering the pup was from a pet shop? beleive me they lie throught there teeth to get a sale, so unless you have seen both parents I would accept that she is probably a mixed.

Just thought I would add that most small dogs reach physical maturity at around 12 months, but become sexual mature from 6 months onwards.

Normally having their first heat around 8 months.

gumby

Thanks shaunasmum :)

She wasnt actually bought from a pet shop, she was from a litter of farm pups, mother was a pure-bred so I am told and the father is another JR but cross, I only have seen the mother and our dog has some serious growing to reach near that!

I must admit I dont know a lot about JR's (grew up with Labs & blue heelers) and the other small dog breeds so thought I'd best ask the question ;) - and, I should have asked the vet myself, but, at the time was more worried about food intake etc as I've never cared for such a tiny pet before!

Thanks for your help :)

greyhoundangel

Since your girl came from a pet shop I would guess that she is not purebred, but cannot say for sure without seeing her.

My JR is purebred and she is only 5kg as an adult.

The JR breed varies greatly!!!!

As for the food intake, yes it is a bit scary :smile: Having greyhounds who are a large breed but only eat a medium dogs amount of food, and then having a JR I nearly fell over, she eats the tiniest amount!!!!

I love that the fact that my girl is so tiny (and I'm not a small dog fan), everyone thinks she is a puppy and she is a good size for my DD as she likes to carry her around :smile:

I wouldn't stress too much, except for getting under foot a lot, a bell may be a good idea :D

Mel xx

gumby

Thanks Mel, will invest in a $2 shop cat bell, lol, cant afford to take any more spills ;)

Sorry I cant give a more accurate photo, have had driver issues with my digital camera for months and gave up a few weeks ago :blush: before I threw the bloody computer!!

greyhoundangel

:smile:

That's okay, when you are able would love to see a picture :D

And for the record, my girl has a barrell body and stumpy legs too :D

Mel xx