Sign in to follow this  
6beauties

Levi Parker and Co.

6beauties

New to this....so here goes!

Excuse all spelling mistakes....

Frst son born in 18hrs, forceps, episiotomy, catheter inserted for 3 days afterwards. Second son, totally different, 5hrs drug free, happy baby. Third son, very similar, 3hrs drug free, happy baby. Fourth son, decided to try a water birth in the home birthing unit at the same hospital. I though this one would fall out! How wrong can you be! Thw water birth itself was wonderful but it took 19hrs to get round to delivering him! Went home 5hrs later.....no choice really. It was a school day the next day and now I had 4 sons under the age of 5! And we were moving states in 3wks! Had a house to pack!

Well that was in 97. Back then I thought I'd had enough kids to cope with, so I decided on having my tubes tied. But I was only 27 and a bit too quick on making that decision.

So in 02 I flew from Qld back to S.A. for a tubal reversal, (it was thousands cheaper even with the flight to go to S.A.) but I was warned that it was only 40% succesful and to try and concieve within 6mths because the scar tissue build up after that time decreases your chances quite dramatically. I didn't need to be told twice!

By Feb 03 I was pregnant with our 5th son. We were over the moon. Pregnancy went well had the usual morning sickness until 12wks, low BP, dizziness, fainting spells and was very anemic, but none of this was new to me, I think of it as part of being pregnant...its what I'm used to!

It was the morning of Nov 17th 03, when I woke to a couple of niggly pains. I thought 'not today' I'm far too busy (but I was 3 days overdue) our eldest son at the time was 12 and going on school camp for a week down to Brizzie and we had to have him at the school by 6.30am for the bus! He was still insisting that he did not want to go, even with his bags packed and all the fees paid! We took him anyway...he explained to his teacher that he wanted to stay home and that was it...he came back home with us. I had a few more pains, but nothing that resembled a pattern!

We went along to a 10am appt we had booked the previous week and the midwife sent us around to L&D to be 'looked' at by another midwife! She suggested we go home for a while and come back later in the evening if things progressed!

Up until then I really didn't think this was the 'day'.

As soon as we got home, the contractions started, it was 11am and they were 2mnins apart lasting about 50secs. I was soo hot I stripped down to my tanktop and knickers and laboured over the railing of our front deck.....rocking and slow deep moaning seemed to help with the pain. I found out afterwards that my moaning actually made a couple of the boys cry, they said I was very scary! DH kept coming over to rub my back but I really was more comfortable on my own with no-one speaking to me. It got 12noon and DH was getting a bit nervous. He wanted to get me back to the hospital ASAP. At 12.10 I gave in and made the slow journey down the stairs and out to the car between contractions. I think I yelled all the way to the hospital, telling DH he was driving over every bump in the road on purpose.

At 12.20pm we arrived but I couldn't take the step out of the car because the contractions were one on top of the other and my legs just physically wouldn't move. The midwife bought the wheelchair out and DH strained his back to lift me in it!

12.30pm and I was on the bed. I was offered gas and thought what the heck anything for a bit of releif. I'm not sure if it really worked but it was a great distraction while I was having a contraction.

At 12.50pm the midwife came back to see how far dialated I was. I told her I had the urge to push and she said 'it was jus the head making its way down' as I was only 6cm. Before she left the room she told us the baby would need to be suctioned as soon as the head was out.

She couldn't have left he room fast enough for me!! I said to DH on the very next contraction, 'I'm going to push, I have to'....DH said don't you dare, she told you not to, your only 6cms'! I pushed with all my might and at the same time DH was yelling to the midwife to get back in here! As she came running back into the room, she found a little head lying on the bed....she calmly asked DH to walk to the other side of the bed and hit the red button! Nurses and midwifes flew in from everywhere. They asked me not to push on the next contraction so they could suction him straight away...unfortunately I couldn't hold it and just went with the contraction. My beautiful baby boy was wisked off the bed and surrounded by nurses....the minutes that followed were a bit tense but then I heard that cry. He was taken to Neo for about 5hrs and warmed under the lights. He was a little conjested but other than that he was doing really well!

Levi Parker was born at 12.57pm, Nov 17th 03

I decided to stay and have a rest for 3 whole luxurious days this time before going home. Thats when all the breastfeeding dilemmas started!

I have only succesfully fed 1 out of 5 of my boys, but with number 6 due in 11wks I'm hoping for a better out-come.

I can't wait to do it all again, the sad thing is I know this will be the last time. Its really hard to fit more than 8 in a vehicle and DH works away 18dys a month, so I have plenty to keep me busy..for the next few yrs anyway!

Thanks for taking the time,

Karen.

Me (35)

DH (34)

DS (13.5)

DS (11.5)

DS (10.5)

DS (7.5)

DS (18mths)

EDD 28.6.05

Chelli

It's interesting to read how not all labours and births are the same. I had very different births with my girls, but none of them very traumatic, for which I'm grateful.

Good luck with your next birth, it was very interesting to read Levi's birth story.

Take care

Rach

Tiarna~18/9/98

Kalani~30/4/03

Montana~4/12/04

2a5c.jpg

Freckles

Thanks for sharing your birth stories. You are keen having so many! :) Best of luck with your next (last?) labour!

Cheers! animal18.gif

Emma

DH Andrew

DS Patrick Finn 19/6/02

IPB Image

6beauties

Your right about that! I think after you've only had the experience of one gender and thats all you know it's a very comfortable thought that the next one will be the same! I really don't know how I would react if they told me you have a 'she' and not a 'he'?? I worry too about bonding the 'same' with a girl after having the 5 boys! I know everyone will say its just the same but not knowing that feeling so far, makes it a very scary thought for me! I guess we'll find out in 11wks!

Thanks for your responses....

Karen.

Me (35)

DH (34)

DS (13.5)

DS (11.5)

DS (10.5)

DS (7.5)

DS (18mths)

EDD 28.6.05