Sign in to follow this  
shushh

Choosing what's right for oneself

shushh

I wanted to share my birth story to encourage women out there not to be afraid of the choices for birth that are available today and to be strong enough in their convictions to go through with their choice!

Being a doctor, I have seen many women being denied their wishes during birth by doctors and midwives(in particular) pushing their beliefs. This applies to both women who opt for "medical aid" in pain relief and those who want to go "natural". My story is an example of how wonderful the staff were with respecting my choices and how an epidural can be a wonderful thing!

My waters broke at 2:15am. I was lying in bed thinking to myself,"drats, I've lost bladder control again..." To my delight, contractions started to come every 10 minutes. I headed for the hospital at 6:30am as my waters were gushing by then and my contractions were still only 10 minutes apart and virtually painless. My obstetrician came to have a chat with me at 8:30am and offered a syntocinon drip to move things along. I gladly accepted. By 9:30am, the drip was up and running and so were the contractions! I am aware of how painful labour can be and had made a decision after a discusison with my obstetrician to go for an early epidural. I had my epidural put in soon after my syntocinon drip was started. For the the next 3 hours, my husband and I joked around, played games and listened to music.

At 12:30pm I started to feel the urge to push and was ecstatic to find that I was already fully dilated. I was able to push very effectively as I was fresh from being relaxed and rested for the past 3 hours! By 1:30pm, little Elliot was born weighing 3.1kg.

Except for excruciating pain for the last 15 minutes, my labour was pretty much pain free. I was relaxed, happy and felt totally in control. It would have to be one of the most positive experiences in my life.

I guess at the end of the day, you have to remember that you are the one labouring. You don't get medals for doing it any particular way, so do your research, decide what you want and be confident in your decision!

Belinda

This message was edited by shushh on Friday, 16 May 2003 @ 6:28 PM

~*Kate9*~

Belinda,

Congratulations on the birth of Elliot and thank you for such an enlightening birth story involving an epidural.

Since being involved in the (All Natural) birth of my nephew in 2001 I have always said I would not hesitate having pain relief (most likely go the epidural option) when it's my turn, and I hear so many stories on the negatives of epidurals and how they can slow labour down, etc. Don't get me wrong, I find that mother's that have 'All Natural' births very inspirational, I just don't know how I would go that's all.

Like you said no-one is awarded for giving birth in a particular way, so long as you have a healthy baby in the end and you get through it too.

Contratulations again.

<FONT COLOR="BLUE">Kate</FONT>

<FONT COLOR="BLUE">TTC #1 since Oct '02</FONT>

snjbs1.gif

<FONT COLOR="BLUE">"Are we there yet?"</FONT>

mother_joy

Thanks Belinda - I want a birth story like yours.

My hubby and I are due to have our 1st in late August and I have just thinking about a 'rough' birth plan. I like the sound of yours. The least stuffed you can be after, the better. The thought of playing cards and sleeping while in labour prior to the birth sounds kind of dreamy and almost too hopeful, but your story shows that it is possible.

I think I might print off your story and show it to my OB and say - there, that's what I want - can you arrange that. She may laugh in my face, but it will start the discussion of where my head is at. Appreciate also the advice of not letting midwives and drs determine the type of birth/pain control you take. Smart - WE are the ones in labour as you said.

Thanks

Jen (27)

Tim (25)

Bump contents due 28/8

Shebee

Sincere congratulations on becoming a Mum!

I do however, feel compelled to express the sadness that I feel regarding the sentiment that you conveyed in your story.

Firstly, I want to acknowledge that I thoroughly support womens choices to labour and birth any way they feel is right for them.

BUT, I cant help feeling that women are being done out of their natural born right and abilty to birth as they truly are capable of doing so.

For me, as for many women, labour and birth is a monumental life event second to none. It takes you to the brink of your strength, courage, determination, energy and pain threshold and then it tips you completely over the edge. Your greatest fears and emotions overwhelm you and you are stretched beyond any limitations you've ever faced. The event itself is life altering. You are confronted with parts of yourself that you never even new existed (or did you?)

You do come out the other side and you KNOW for a fact that you are a HERO! It is the most profound and exhilerating experience of your life. You KNOW why it is called labour, because you have ACTUALLY laboured. You know why it is called BIRTH and it doesnt only have to do with the birth of the baby.

So yes, women have the right to choose how they wish to labour and give birth. I would, however, ask everyone who is looking to have a child to seriously consider what it is that they wish to get from the experience. At the end of the day, there will be a baby. But like a lot of things in life, its not only the outcome that is important, the process, the journey is also, how we get there is as much a part of the experience.

For me, labour and giving birth was the most amazing EVENT of my life to date. But if joking around, playing games and listening to music is as far as you want to stretch yourself then that is your right. Perhaps you expecting mums might find your way somewhere in the middle?

I will go as far as to encourage women to stretch yourselves as far as possible, you dont know what you can achieve until you try. If it simply does become too much you can go the drugs then, you'll be relieved and it will all work out ok. Or perhaps you'll find that you can go the whole way and the pleasure of holding your child and staring into their eyes for the first time will be all the sweeter for the effort you've made and the challenge you've faced and met!

I havent wriiten this to offend or chastise anyone. I've written this because I think it is a really important topic. It seems that there is a huge swing toward drug use and other medical intervention in labour and birth.

My only objective is to hopefully instill more excitement and confidence to women in their ability to meet this amazing (and bloody scary) experience.

I would love to hear from other women who have/are having babies and their feelings about their ability to give birth and what they hoped/are hoping to experience with the event?

Perhaps this needs to become another thread somewhere?

Again, Belinda, congratulations and best wishes on becoming a Mum!

Shebee

Me 27

dh 30

ds Sebastian 16/02/02

shushh

Heehee, I LOVE debates!!!!

First up, I'd like to mention that I was in no way offended by what was written. I do respect the opinions that others have, otherwise discussions would be no fun! So SHeebee, please don't feel that what I am about to write is all against you!

I'd like to disagree with Sheebee about current trends for childbirth. I feel that women now tend to go for a natural birth (which is a good thing!) and are in fact anti-medical intervention(which isn't always the right thing and sometimes downright dangerous). Yes, our grandmothers all did it the "natural" way, but they also accepted that death is one of the risks of having a baby. WHo in our current times even associates death with childbirth?!?!?!

Unfortunately, not all birth experiences are positive (natural & interventions both included). So why not empower women with information about their choices so that they can take control. Most women, once aware of what's available, DO end up having a natural birth because they are confident and comfortable in the fact that there are backstops should they feel that they can't cope.

What I hated seeing was when women were denied their wishes when they opted for pain relief. Too often I have heard, "you are doing so well, why don't you hang on a bit longer" until it is too late (I acknowledge that sometimes this is the right thing to say, eg when you are already 10cm dilated...) You would be surprised at how many women feel "afraid" to be seen to be wanting pain relief as they think that going natural is the right way to go. In the meantime, they are not coping and petrified of pain. Why should it be this way?

Sheebee mentioned that her objective was to hopefully instill more excitement and confidence to women in their ability to meet this amazing (and bloody scary) experience called labour. I guess in my own way, I am trying to do the same thing. I am all for women choosing what is right for them. THese days, it is good to see that for most, a natural birth (ie see how they go) is the way to go. Whether or not you choose to have pain relief, you are still labouring (trust me...).

Giving birth to Elliot is the most important and amazing thing that I have ever done in my life. Having an epidural does not lessen the joy and amazement that I felt when I first held my little son in my arms and the first melting moment that I looked into his eyes. I am no less of a hero because I chose to labour without pain.

Like Sheebee, I would also be interested to hear from other women who have/are having babies and their feelings about their ability to give birth and what they hoped/are hoping to experience with the event?

Belinda, mum of

Elliot 26 December 02

Shebee

About time we had a great debate!

Thanks!

Would love to hear some more experiences from other women.

Have fun,

Shebee

Me 27

dh 30

ds Sebastian 16/02/02

Shebee

About time we had a great debate!

Thanks!

Would love to hear some more experiences from other women.

Have fun,

Shebee

Me 27

dh 30

ds Sebastian 16/02/02

Cat12

Hmmm, well I for one am one of those that shushh was representing when she said women are afraid to ask for pain relief. I thought everyone would think I was a coward and I was worried I wouldn't be listened to. I agree that everyone has the right to choose whatever birth they want and I sometimes think that those advocating a natural birth make those that want pain relief feel inferior (or is it just me?) I know this is not the intention, but this is sometimes how I feel. One of my biggest concerns about when I went into labour was that I would have to justify my desire for pain relief before I would get it. I guess I bagan the whole process feeling like I had a standard to live up to because my super sister (Milipede) did hers (twice) pretty much with just gas and air. I just never thought I could cut the grade, didn't want to even try, took it to heart when my MIL screwed up her nose when I said I'd probably have an epi and told me her own daughter (pregnant 6 months before me) would probably be able to do it by herself.

A bit of a jumbed mental mess for you there, but you did ask for the experiences of others and this was mine :)

Cat

*************<BR>Angus ~ 18/06/02<BR>*************

Image3124200355853AM.jpg

r8chele

This message was edited by r8chele on Saturday, 10 May 2003 @ 11:54 AM

Isis

I pretty much had no distinct wishes about labour when I was induced with my DD. Once told to labour, my body did just that. Hard, fast and powerful- 4 hours from waters to placenta... I didn't have any time to even think about asking for anything stronger than gas once it was set up for me. I was in shock at the speed of DD's birth, I was in shock at the fact that I tore badly, without even realising it. BUT, right from that moment of holding my DD in my arms, I wanted to do it all again, exactly the same :)

I have done a lot or reading and talking about birth since. Most of what Rachele says, I think myself.

I have been given an option of having a c-section to avoid the possibility of re-tearing along the line that I did before. I can't honestly find any true medical reason why I should have a c-section. I know what happened in DD's birth, I know how to have more control/say in the birthing of this next babe.

Basically, I trust my body to birth, implicitly. I am not scared, a bit nervous perhaps, but not scared. Labour will hurt, there are more risks involved in this birth, but I have no fear of this journey. I am making choices for our birth, I am the mother birthing my babe. I have enough knowledge to be able to agree/disagree with any suggestions made by my caregivers. In the event of a true medical emergency, I will put myself and our babe in the hands of those with experience. But I will not accept any 'just in case' or policy driven actions/decisions...

Geez, it's hard to write my thoughts. I think I've rambled enough.. :)

<B><I><font face="Comic Sans MS">Isis<BR>DH- Andrew<br>DD- Julia Kathryn 08/10/01<br>Nathan Michael due 11/08/03</b></i><br><br>Babies are born, pizzas are delivered.

funandgames

I'd like to join in. Without offending anybody.

My first labour started in the birthing suite, a la natural, never dilated past 3cm as baby turned to transverse lie and had the cord around his neck 3 times, instead of being on monitors in the labour ward, I was there doing the natural thing with music and heat packs, it wasn't realised until 24 hours gas, pethidine and sleeping tablets later that I would need to be moved into the labour ward to be monitored and an epidural was suggested.

AHHHHH, thank god, I went from feeling like I was dying to utter bliss the epidural was the best thing I did. Unfortunatley I was rushed to theatre for my c-section, we were told that we were lucky to have our little boy. But he was perfect.

To my amazement after my c-section people actually said to me, oh well next time you might have a natural labour, I COULDN'T BELIEVE IT. I had comments like, you got away with it easy not going through the whole birthing thing. They were really negative.

I was very disapointed, with these comments, it did in a way make me feel like I had failed. I didn't choose to have an emergency c-section, it was just the way it happened.

I was really scared to go again, I had to be encouraged by my excellent ob Denise.

So with my next birth I was determined to prove that I could deliver NATURAL, even though I was offered an elective c-section if I wanted it.

So my next labour baby was posterior, so I had really bad back pain. I did it 16 hours, half of that time with an epidural.

But that is me, my closest friends chose to have no intervention at all.

I think, it doesn't matter how you have your baby, whether you labour for 48 hours or 2 hours, whether you have all the drugs in the world or none at all, as long as you have a perfect baby who cares, everyone is different!!!!!

Shelly 26

DS 27/7/98

DD 20/6/01

~Sophie~

I was all for having DS naturally, booked into the birth centre, got to know the midwives well and even "envisioned" an early quick birth in my head so I would be prepared.

I was not ready for the excruciating pain I felt from about 12 midnight to 6am, I had not dialated at all and contractions were coming every 2 mins strong and hard. BTW, mild contractions had started early on in the day and I thought it was great, I can handle this. At about 7am the Pethadine was given but that numbed my brain not the pain, slowed down the contractions and made things even worse. When that wore off I asked to be checked how dialated I was and again nothing - only 4cm, but while I was being examined my water broke and baby had pooped in the waters. I was in so much pain by then and literally screaming for an epidural. They rushed me to the hospital (2 mins away via trolley). Did I mention I had been sucking gas all this time too! Once the epidural was in things were a bit better but not much, was still in a lot of pain and DH says i slept between contractions. Things are very blurry from here on, I think at 12 noon I started to push but only coz the midwife said too, did not feel the urge, after 3 hours of pushing and nothing (by now I was screaming for a c-section), they used a vacuum to help things along. Well tearing and more screaming Peter was born and I forgot all about the pain once he was on my tummy (they took him away to clean him up first though). But LOL, i did feel the urge to push my placenta out!

For me the experience was not at all what I imagined it be. I have heard it hurts but this was beyond what I could cope with. I suffered with pelvic pain and back pain for months afterwards too, not surprising after 3 hours of pushing.

Would I have another child the natural way, without any intervention? I am actually frightened to but feel so inspired by those who do (even a bit jealous). Why can't they just "beam" the baby out like they do on Star Trek, LOL. They say you forget the pain but it still lingrs with me 16 months afterwards.

Next time around, and that is a long way off, I would probably choose to have a c-section, although I would like to go into labour naturally. I guess you could say I have converted!

So to all of you brave ladies, no matter how you do it, in my opinion we are all hero's.

AND Belinda, Congrats on the birth of Elliot. I just love that name and it was on the top of our names list but we chose to name our son after other names in the family, but I still love Elliot. Thanks for sharing your birth story and this discussion too. Its great.

seeya

Sophie

Peters Webpage: www.babiesonline.com/babies/p/prv/ (updated 1 May 2003)

MarieD

I got done out both times. First time I had to have an epidural for hypertension in labour. But was able to have a vaginal delivery. Second time full breech and an elective caesarian. So natural and all that was out the window with me. Went through a lot of headstuff worked it through. I've been taking zoloft for over 15months.

It still hurts. But them's the brakes. I don't know the answer truthfully. But I do have two healthy and live babies. So it's just one of those things.

****** Darienne *******

Click here to see my little darlings. http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/p/patrickjw/

Going to Kinder this year! 16/3/99

http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/h/hopema/

She's a walking gal now!

24/1/02

Expat

Great debate, everyone!

I agree that all the information out there seems to have an agenda one way or another, which seems odd, since labour is such an unpredictable thing. You can't have any idea how much it will hurt, even from baby to baby, so I think (having never done it, so I'm SUCH an expert LOL!) they should be telling you everything about everything, so you can be prepared for all eventualities, and not feel some sort of failure because you couldn't cope.

When we can actually feel exactly what another person feels, THEN we can judge if they're a wimp (but never a failure, I mean you made a BABY! That's not failure)

Liz367

Just wanted to add my 2 cents worth, but not having given birth it's probably not worth 2 cents! :)

I'm intending to have a natural birth and am hoping like hell that I have what it takes. The birth stories I find most inspirational (and Shebee's tops the list) are those with minimal intervention of any kind, and where the birthing woman is empowered and in control (not necessarily of her body, but of how the birth progresses IYKWIM). That's not to say that Belinda wasn't empowered and in control of her birth experience.

I've been reading up on, and taking inspiration from, active birth, however I do accept that if I just can't handle the pain (and I won't know until I get there) then I will consider medical pain relief. I'm a pretty tough cookie but you just never know. I certainly won't be allowing the Ob to decide what happens when, unless the baby or myself are in serious danger. In fact if I had my way there would be no ob, only midwives, but the hospital I've chosen insists on the ob model of care. Since it's my first time I'm happy to go with that but I will certainly be making my wishes known and ensuring DH knows them as well.

My SIL went all natural for her two DSs, then at the other end of the spectrum I have two close friends who had every intervention in the book. Needless to say, while the two friends are amazing and strong women (and having a caesar is no small thing) I prefer to talk to SIL about her experiences and ask her lots of questions, rather than hear about the other two! I do think there's still a huge amount of unnecessary intervention, and you only have to read the birth stories on EB to find that natural birth stories are in the minority. I think women should have more faith in themselves and less faith in the Western medical model for childbirth.

I believe in my body and its ability to do what it has to do, and I will be along for the ride. Hopefully not too bumpy a ride! :)

Liz

Bubs #1 Due 12/10/2003

Butterfly Kisse

Hi Ladies

I'm to give birth in September for the first time. I had intentions of having a vaginal birth but with an epi and people would say "your crazy you wont experience a real birth". After holding my tongue, I informed them that everyone is different and my choice of an epi is mine and mine alone.

Since then, my doctor has suggested a C section due to a low lying placenta and the fact I'm having twins.

Frankly, I'm happy about having a C section. My twins will be delivered with less risk and it will all be planned (i'm a 'list' person). What really sh*ts me, is I'm already getting "you'll never know what its really like to give birth". Well excuse me, I don't care what someone else 'sees' as giving birth. The fact is I intend to walk out of hospital with two beautiful babies and frankly if people are too narrow minded to dwell on the birth and not focus on my two miracles, then that is their issue.

Sorry for the outburst. I'm just a bit tired of the "in laws" opinions on their "perfect" births etc. Frankly I don't think we need to explain why we have chosen or are going to have a c section. It is none of anyones business. Just because "Rachele" did it this way 25 years ago, it doesn't mean it is right for me or NOW.

Everyone has the right to choice, and I think sometimes it is out of your control so you've just got to chill and go with the flow.

I admire women who give birth a la natural after 48 hours of pain, I also admire women who elect for a C section because they are scared of the pain (and everyone else inbetween). We all deserve gold stars.

Thanks for listening.

Great debate too!

Larv Issy

He & She Monsters attack the world from Sept 03

r8chele

This message was edited by r8chele on Saturday, 10 May 2003 @ 11:55 AM

Butterfly Kisse

Oh God no!

It was directed at my DH stupid Aunty!

Sorry sorry sorry if you thought it was you.

She gave birth to twins 32 years ago and thinks that only her way is right.

I didn't even look at peoples names on this site.

Sorry if I offended you.

Not intended at all!

Gosh, that'll teach me for getting all fired up! he he he he

I'm sitting here now with a cuppa tea and some biccies feeling a lot better after my vent.

Take care

Issy

r8chele

This message was edited by r8chele on Saturday, 10 May 2003 @ 11:56 AM

*sunshine*

And I just want to add not everyone has the "option" of having a natural labour,sometimes it has to be assisted.Does that make it any less of a BIRTH or life changing EVENT??I dont think so.I had(well was strongly advised)to have my labour induced via drip as there were was meconium in my waters and my body wasnt contracting.Although I was disappointed about not having an active birth(due to constant monitoring)I dont feel it was any less a life changing event.I still feel like a hero for giving birth even though I caved in after 10 hrs of no pain relief and got an epidural(my labour was 15.5hrs long).While I hope my body goes into labour naturally next time and I aim to go without pain relief,if it all gets too much I wont hesitate to have relief again,I think the more calmer you are in labour the better you progress. I dotn think its right to say that women who have assisted labours or c/s are any less of women or heros for having had pain relief/"stretching themselves" ect.In fact my partner was so impressed by my "heroism" :) that he insisted we give DD my mddle name after seeing what I went thru to have her.What a sweetie :)

Each to their own I guess.

I hope everyone has a great labour experience,no matter which way you go!

DD Kiaan Renae 02/03/03

2428314.jpg

2428548.jpg

Guest Millipede

"super" Milly responding here! As Cat12 mentioned earlier I have had 2 "natural" deliveries with gas only (I prefer to say vaginal... nothing particularly natural about medicalised vaginal births!).

First time I had no particular plan for childbirth, just to start off with foot stomping and caterwauling for pain releif and work my way to an epidural. To my great surprise and pleasure (and also a quick labour!) I had a straighforward delivery. Dont get me wrong, it was f*cking awful to experience but I came out the end so exhilerated and relieved that my body had done its job IYKWIM. You know that song "I am strong, I am invincible, I am Woman"? Well that was exactly how I felt about the birth, I sang that song in my head for months afterwards, and even thinking the words now conjours up the feelings I have about that birth.

Second time around I was even more scared about birth. Scared because I knew what I was in for but also scared that I would "fail" myself. That my first "in control" exhilerating birth was just a one off. In the event it was the same type of birth (straight forward vaginal) and I "coped" with the pain in a similar way. I didnt have the same exhilerating feeling with that birth, just a "well thats a job well done, now lets get on with the baby" sort of feeling. I was pleased that I could cope with the pain and I could again if I had to. Although if I were ever to have another child I would in also honesty like to opt for a ceaser!! Couple of reasons for this. Firstly I have done two vaginals and liked the way I handled myself during them. I have proved what ever I thought I had to prove to my self about them (Its a pity I even think there is something to prove, but I wont go there). The pain was bloody awful so I dont think I really need to revisit it. Secondly, I am dead curious to compare the two types of birth experiences (vag vs ceaser).

Milly<P>DD Elizabeth Margaret 9/3/00 <BR>DD Matilda Kate 26/3/03

http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/m/matildakate/

Guest motherto4

Hi this is my first post. I've been reading the messages for the last few days and thought writting mine down will help me get over my fears of labor.

My 4th bub is due in july and scared of having the same trouble i had with my last birth. My first labor was bearable. I had 14 hours of labor with gas and pethadine. After 3 hours of pushing my son was born via forceps and huge episiotomy.

My 2nd bub's labor was my best only 6 hours long and i managed with only gas. I had about an hour of pushing and no stiches.

My 3rd birth was the worst even though it was only 5 and a half hours. After 2 or so hours of pushing and only having gas Eli was born with the help of vacum suction. A loud popping sound was heard when his head was born, this I found out later was when my pubic bone cracked due to Eli's head being 37.5 cms.The labor itself I could cope with but it was the pain of my cracked pubic that took 6mths to heal. During this time I found it hard to sit and get up quickly (which is a problem wiyh 3 little ones)

My main fear is the time it's going to take to heal again. So if anyone has any ideas about birth positions that might prevent it cracking again or if this has happened to you , I would love to hear your veiws.

Anyway thanks for reading I feel like I have been rambling but it has helped writting it down.

Lara

Dad

Ethan 5/4/96

Ellysha 26/7/99

Eli 23/12/00

EDD 4/7/03

Jaws

Nice to see a civilised debate!

My experiences may throw a spanner in the works of the theories so far, however.

I won't go into too much detail as, goodness knows, the long-standing members at least of this site know my stories all too well by now - but I have had three elective c/sections, my last one just over a week ago. They were my (informed and personal) choices, with no medical reason for the first (however suggestions that I would have had to have c/sections for the last two anyway - conclusions drawn only after the births of my babies however).

I think there is an impression that having an elective c/section and choosing not to labour is taking the easy way out. That theory honestly makes me laugh now, and it so obviously is bandied around by people who have never had one! I cannot say so categorically, as I have never had labour or a vaginal birth, but I would hazard a very good guess that a c/section is just as hard, but in a totally different way.

And all those who think that women who choose as I did are being deprived of a powerful and defining experience are also so very wrong, and this must also be bandied around by people who have never had an elective c/section. Let me tell you, my euphoria after the births of all my children is not something I will ever forget, and a week after the birth of my latest child, I am still experiencing it. As for being powerful - well, notwithstanding the fact that I firmly believe that a woman does not have to give birth to feel powerful and to feel fulfilled as a woman (I pity those whose power depends on those factors, actually), I would say that my euphoria in part comes from an immense feeling of achievement.

I could go on about my positive and wondrous experiences, but feel that I have done so numerous times on this site already. As I said - a spanner in the works of the theories thus far, perhaps.

Cheers all

Kate

This message was edited by Jaws on Saturday, 10 May 2003 @ 12:24 PM

*sunshine*

Hear Hear Kate! I think EVERY woman feels like superwoman right after birth no matter how she gave birth or whether she did/didnt use pain relief!It just bothers me that people say that you did it easy because you had pain relief or a c/section ect.

*sunshine* getting off my soapbox now :eg:

DD Kiaan Renae 02/03/03

2428314.jpg

2428548.jpg

Guest Millipede

Kate I hope I didnt give the impression that I thought only women who labour can have an exhilerating and empowering birth experience :(. Totally not so. I went to by sisters c-section last year and I was bluddering my eyes out and feeling euphoric and it wasnt even me giving birth!

I was just trying to express how I felt after I gave birth. The exhileration probably was a result of the long awaited arrival of my DD (which every mother is going to feel not matter how they birth) plus that high you get after completing hard physical labour (much like a athelete would feel after winning a race I imagine). The two combined made ME feel like a super woman. I imagine if I were ever to have a ceaser that I would still feel like a superwoman because I had managed to lie awake on a bed with no feeling from the boobs down (freaky I imagine) while a whole lot of people cut me open, put my intestines on top of my belly button and pull and shove a baby out of a timy little incision. I wont even start on the stamina it must take to recover from that experience as well as cope with the newborn learning curve.

Milly<P>DD Elizabeth Margaret 9/3/00 <BR>DD Matilda Kate 26/3/03

http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/m/matildakate/