Sign in to follow this  
Bel

Feb 06 Parents # 17

~Dragonfly~

2nd? This is the first time i have ever made it to the top 5..... Yay for me!

7earthlings4angels

I'm off on holidays tomorrow ladies :D , will miss you all. Will be heading home on Saturday, we are going to Lakes Entrance which is about a 3 1/2 - 4hour drive.

Cya when we get back. Love to everyone. :DKimXXX

Banana-Peel2

thanks 4 the formula replies...i've got lauren on s26gold for top ups which we used for dd#1...it is known for causing constipation & lauren hadn't really pooed for 2 days....but this afternoon she did a massive one and it is a' okay...no constipation.

cheers

did I get bronze?....edit...nup....guess I will settle for 5th then?

Perth girls...notice that the weather is cooling down mid week...time to go for nice long pram walks, hey? Can't wait to get out of the house!

*BLUE*FAIRY*

long walk with the pram <_< i did this on saturday with a girlfriend with a 2 week old. it was a good walk but on the way home jessica just wanted to sleep so out of the pram was ryan in was jessica. Its not so good of a walk with baby in arm and pushing pram with one arm. B)

off to toy r us to buy up on nappys and bruin toys for xmas oso 80% off bruim clothing look at

http://toysrus.com.au/march06/coupons.pdf

partyof4

Looks like i will be up till the break of dawn as I had a 1 hr nap that turned into 2 cause DH didnt wake me and turned off my alarm...i didnt get agro..just annoyed cause he thought he was doing something nice but well here I am.

My ears feels like I have waer in them. Has anyone evr had wax extracted from their ears? Its scary but feels great afterwards..wish i could have one of those.

Mon- I get the warm and fuzzies when I pick up Lil and she changes from a frown to a blissful face..the only time she has a frown when i am holding her is when I am BF then she is all business.

I hope I dont sound like I am arguing either. Its just that i dont have the luxury to provide Lillian with all the comfort she wants. I think if she had it her way she would have happily have stayed in my tummy.

So I do let her cry out..knowing she is dry, fed and not ill. Usual quick test is if i pick her up and in less then 15 sec she is calm. It is really hard, like trying to wrenc ur own too out sometimes.

I also did controlled crying with Charlotte and I truly believe she is all the better for it.

On the flipside i think my own mum took it too far with CC and for ages I found it very shameful to cry..and when i was alittle older i would cry at a drop of a hat (not a great thing in highschool :blush: ) now with her grandkids..although she says CC is good, she will pick up Lil at the first frown. Go figure.

Oh well theres my two cents..

Morts!

Tammie - What Tia is doing does sound like reflux. Everything she does is what Laura did as well. I still have to have her upright for quite a while after a feed or she brings up her milk.

Jen - I put Laura to bed the same way you do with Thom. She is usually quite sleepy when I put her in there but still awake, but sometimes I have to gently rock her bassinet to get her off to sleep. I think that as long as I'm not actually holding her to get her to sleep then it would pretty much be self settling.

Chantz - Glad you're having a good time in Melbourne.

Joan - Glad you enjoyed the Comm Games. Have fun at the athletics next week.

Lisa - Congrats to your sister on her pregnancy. Pity the circus wasn't much good. It's amazing how much noise babies can sleep through hey!

Bananapeel - I can't wait for the cooler weather this week. I'm in need of a break from this heat. Where in Perth are you?

Sleeping positions - I've only ever slept Laura on her back. Whenever I've put her on her side she automatically rolls on to her back. I just try and make sure her head alternates sides so she doesn't get a flat spot. She doesn't like being on her tummy at all. I've never put her on her tummy for a sleep. We do a bit of tummy time every day on her playmat but she only lasts a few minutes before getting grizzly. Her head is getting stronger though - she can lift it and turn to face the other way quite often.

Us - Went to a BBQ today at DH's boss's house. It was really nice. There was another couple there with a baby 6 weeks older than Laura. It's amazing what a difference 6 weeks can make. He was so much more alert and responsive to everything and holding his head up. I can't wait until Laura can hold her head up and isn't so floppy. DH has got next week off work which is brilliant. We haven't been able to spend a lot of time together recently and are making a real effort this week to do stuff together. Plus it will mean I can actually get some housework done instead of having to wait until Laura's asleep to get stuff done.

JessieW

Mon

Thank you for your thoughtful response. You've expressed clearly and sensitively your thoughts on CC

I do not ever want her to stop screaming hysterically simply because she has given up on me coming to comfort and reasure her.

I agree with you and I note that you say Ivy is either quiet or crying the house down. When I leave Frances to 'grizzle' for a few minutes, she sounds as though she is coughing, she's slightly tense, there are some short little yelps, and there are gaps between them, so it's not a building cresendo of Waas Waas.

I too feel it's a matter of instinct as to the cry that our babies make. And I guess that the word 'distress' is on a sliding scale. I would have to acknowledge that there is a level of distress when she is 'grizzling' but to me it's not an unreasonable amount for a baby to experience. I listen out and when it becomes what to me sounds like her distress is an immediate "Save me" or when it is building to a cresendo I'm in there like a shot.

All theories aside, perhaps the most important thing here is Mindful Parenting. Tuning into your babies voice and working out what it is that they are communicating.

I was left by my mother when I was two - and am also influenced by my lack of mothering from her - but I've had lots of therapy to work that one out!

XX Jess

sarzy

Bugger!! My DS just managed to delete my long post..little bandit! Don't know how he did it, as I don't reckon I'd know how!

Anyway... had a great w'end on the gold Coast. My parents looked after Max and my SIL after the other 2 while we went off to the races. We had tickets to a sponsored tent with food and alcohol laid on... noice! Had about 4 champers over the 4 hrs I was there and had loads of fun catching up with friends. got the phonecall at about 6 pm that Max wouldn't settle so took off to M and D's where I walked thru the door, picked him up and he gave a huge sigh and fell straight to sleep! Little darling! Stayed the night at Mum and dad's and they cooked me dinner and looked after me while dH went home to the other 2 kidlets. The next day had a big swim and some yummy Japanese for lunch before heading home.

anyway was really interested reading everyone's opininons on cc and settling.

Personally, I am happy to let Max have a grizzle or even a small cry (i.e. crying with eyes shut, but heart just isn't in it!). If he is awake and really crying, I will always pick him up, give him a cuddle and if he shld be sleeping attempt to put him back down awake as soon as he is quiet again.

After having experienced one thoroughly spoilt DD who was rocked or fed to sleep (I didn't know any better at the time) there is no way I would do this again personally. It took me until DD was about 10 mths old to get her sleeping sorted out and as I was back at work part time when she was 3 mths old, I was like a walking zombie as she would wake every 1 to 2 hrs and be looking for a boob or a cuddle as she had gone to sleep with one or the other.

I will also be back at work in about 2 mths again so want to make sure I have Max in good habits. I also believe if you can teach them to self-settle now you won't have to go through cc when they're older and at that time it is SOOOO much harder. My daughter would make herself vomit every time she was put into her cot and in the end we had to resort to CC which was heart-breaking..

Anyhow, we all have different bubs and we are all different people so one thing is not going to work for all of us.. but just chucking in my 2 cents worth. I also think its really important that we all respect each others mode of parenting and I know we all want what is best for our babies.

OK that was a huge ramble wasn't it?? Bye for now ladies, Sarzy xx

~Dragonfly~

Just wondering if we have any mothers from Cairns/Innisfail area. Have been watching the news this morning and just want to offer safe wishes to anyone in that area. The cyclone is now more destructive than hurricane katrina in america, so lots of thoughts go up that way today.

I'm freaking out because my mum lives in cairns and when i talked to her this morning and told her to get out of that area and head inland, she told me it was already too late.

:(

~TCBF~

Morning Girls,

Just wanted to add my 2 cents on CC and also ask a question..

CONTROLLED CRYING - I define this as leaving a baby to cry by themselves. We sometimes let Will cry but one of us is always either holding him or sitting right beside him and letting him know we are there. We tried CC on our first DS and this was under the advice of Tresillian.. Im ashamed to say that we gave it almost 2 months of trying (with no success) before we sought other answers. It wasnt that we enjoyed leaving him to cry, we honestly felt, seeing as we had been told by "professionals" that it was the right thing to do even though it felt very wrong. We are very worried that we have done some lasting damage :(

I also had moments with my first DS where I was so frazzled by his constant state of crying that I sometimes had to put him in his bassinett and walk away for 10 minutes. I see this as very different to CC. Walking away to help maintain your sanity is not the same as trying to teach them to self settle by using CC. So if anyone ever feels like they need to leave their crying baby for 5 minutes then PLEASE DO IT. It is better and safer for all involved and far less damaging to a baby than CC.

I hope all of that made sense..

Anyway, my question for you all...

I had my Ob appointment the other day, and not wanting to be pregnant again in a hurry, he prescribed me the mini pill.

Since ive been taking it (4 or 5 days now) I have noticed a drop in my milk supply. I usually express Wills last feed of the day and have had no dramas getting more than 150mls if I want... Last night I could barely get 50 and the poor little guy was so unsettled...

Does anyone think that these two things are related? I am stopping the pill as of today and DH is picking up some free condoms from work as an interim measure ( :blush: ) but I would hope that we dont have to use these for the next 12 months or more. I guess I will see how I go.. If I have lots of milk tonight then I guess ill have my answer.. If anyone else can shed some light then please feel free..

Gotta run and quickly get showered while the baby is blissfully swinging away :) :)

Take care xxx

sarzy

Hi guys,

Hope all is OK for those living near or with family in the cyclone region. How very scary.. hugs Dragonfly, I hope your mum comes through this safe and sound.

Am about to head out. Have a great day all, S x

P.S. Suzy - not sure about the mini-pill and milk, maybe give yr ob a ring?? I seem to remember that may have happened to me last time but I put it down to starting exercise so not sure which was the actual reason for my milk decreasing.

ChickenSalt

Hi All

Just wanted to come in and quickly post a pic of my little angel. Hope everyone is alright (and that none of you are in the cyclone region). For those of you that maybe or have friends and family in the area, my thoughts are with you.

Will be back later after I've caught up.

ReducedSepiaSleep.jpg

Kygee

Hey all,

Sorry i have been MIA for a while just every time i go to post the kids would start playing up or someone would call etc etc!

Well i am sad to say that my little girl is now one month old :(

How time is flying!!

I only remember not long ago that i was so over being pregnant and wanted to see her, and now she has been here for 4 weeks now :o

Chantz,Lisa and Georgina Can not wait to meet you al tomorrow!

I am getting all excited!

Lisa or Chantelle can you please text me the addy where we are meeting tomorrow as well thanks ;)

Jen Sounds all good signs if Thom has really wet nappies!

If he is really dry than i would start worrying!

But sounds like he is fine!

I dont know who asked about formula feeding but Abbi is on Karricare Gold. She was on Heinz to starte of with but was only going 2 and half hours between feeds as it wasnt filling her enough. So we changed to Karricare as it is a thicker formula, and now she is going 4 to 5 hours now betweeen feeds :smile:

I love all the piccys that everyone is putting up!

I agree we should have a theme every friday!

Well i gotta go i am sorry this is short and sweet but have to go and do house work so i can go out and meet some fellow Feb06 mums tomorrow :tongue:

Hope all is well,

Kylie

PS: Also here is a piccy of Abbi one month old!

abbionemonth.jpg

~Dragonfly~

Hi All, thanks for the well wishing for my mum and family. I have just been talking to her and she is fine and so is her house.

Unfortunately there are so many people who cannot say the same. So many properties have been destroyed but thankfully no loss of life has been reported yet and that is the most important thing.

Suzy - dont know anything about the mini pill connection.

Mirena - Have never heard of this before. had one of these fitted when i had my ob appointment on Friday. My doctor supports the use of the Mirena and actually suggested it to me. He asked what kind of contraceptive we were using and i told him that DH was having a vasectomy. Then he asked about my periods and i told him they are usually quite painful and can be heavy. yhe said the Mirena makes periods much much lighter and often painfree and the best part is, it is a contraceptive that can be removed at any time and fertility comes straight back to the level it was before it was fitted. He said that sending DH in for a vasectomy would be an unnecessary operation because if i was having painful periods then it would only be a matter of time before i came to see him to prescribe something for them.

It is $28 from the chemist (you need a script) and it needs to be inserted by a doctor.

I'm posting a link to the Mirena website and strongly suggest you all take a look at it.

http://www.mirena.com/html/index.html

Maybe you have all heard of it before and i am just raving on, but for those that havent, its worth looking into.

partyof4

Well it looks like I passed the cold on to my two DD's or they gave it to me I dont know..we are amiserable bunch..Lil has been awake since 8am had a feed and was driftin in and out of sleep grizzling in between and by 10 was crying for a feed..cause I am formula feeding mostly..ECHM told me to feed every 3 hrs or more..but I am feeling so rotten I couldnt keep holding bub while my toddler was trying to climb on asweel so I fed her at 10:45 and she has been sleepin for an hr now thankfully. I now have some time to pick up the snotty tissues I have been scattering around...oh man now my toddler is upset..better go..

Chantz

OMG I just know i'm out of touch with everyone. Amazing what 1/2 a week can do.

Tiahni and I have the house to ourselves at the moment. DH and FIL have gone to the Templestowe Hotel for a drink and a small stint on the pokies (it had better be small!)

Ana - Hope you are feeling better soon.

Contraception - I'm getting the Implanon when we get back to WA. I had it once before and am one of the lucky people who don't get AF at all with it.

Kylie, Lisa & Georgina - Really hanging for tomorrow. Will be good to meet ppl that i've been talking to for the past 9-10 months or so. Georgina - I told DH that you were also coming and he said 'Wouldn't it be funny if it was the Georgina I went to school with' hahaha I doubt it. He went to Warrandyte. I said there are probably plenty of Georginas around.

Kylie - Abbi is just gorgeous. Hopefully Tiahni behaves so I can get a group photo.

Dragonfly - I hope your family gets through the cyclone safely.

Formula - We have sachets of S26 gold in the nappy bag and a tin of SMA. I find that Tiahni vomits more with the S26 gold. Had an abundance of milk this morning though, poor little thing got drowned but kept grinning at me as she was sucking it down LOL

Christy - I love that photo, so cute :)

Crying - Tiahni is only crying if she is hungry, needs a bum change, is windy (quite often poor little mite) or is overtired. So she cries alot and it is always for a reason.

Well there is a job going in Melb which DH will be perfect for so he is going to apply. I'm not getting my hopes up as it is 1 job and im sure there are plenty of applicants but you never know we might make a move here. There are alot of pros and cons for both Perth & Melb, but we have to think about our family now. We have discussed it as much as we can for the moment and I told DH to just apply as he can always say 'NO' if we decide to stay in Perth. Not sure how my family will react but as I said we have to think of ourselves and what is best for us and Tiahni. And hey, if we do move i'll already have met some of the Melb girls (can't wait for tomorrow), so instant friends!!! LOL

~Dragonfly~

dunnomuch - i'm struggling to find the words i would like to use at this moment. A diagnosis like that would be devastating, but it sounds like you have a brave little girl on your hands. I pray that you and your family and especially Kaitlyn, have a peaceful and fulfilling time together, however short or long that time may be.

WHAT DO YOU MISS ABOUT BEING PG?

Feeling baby move. Foot massages from DH

WHAT DO YOU NOT MISS ABOUT BEING PG?

People looking at me with pity because i was so huge

DO YOU THINK YOU WILL HAVE ANY MORE BUBBAS?

If it wasnt so hard to be pregnant - possibly

HAVE YOU LOST MUCH WEIGHT SINCE HAVING YOUR BUBBA?

Scales say yes, clothes say no

THE MOST USELESS PIECE OF ADVICE YOU HAVE BEEN GIVEN.....

Hmm, have to think about that one.

WHEN DO YOU PLAN TO RETURN TO WORK?

Dont work - have a great DH with a good paying job

WHAT HAVE YOU FOUND TO BE THE MOST USEFUL BABY ITEM SO FAR?

DH - just kidding, umm, my boobs, that seems to be all she needs to keep her happy.

JessieW

Welcome Dunnomuch - I'm sad to hear of your youngest, I'll visit her site when I get a chance

Jillian - Frances is getting too bog for her bassinet to - good idea to have some trial runs with the cot - we might do this

Survey

Feeling her move inside me

Feeling guilty if I have a sip of wine

Yes, we hope for one more

I'm sure I have but haven't weighed myself

Trying the dreamfeed when she was 3 weeks - well..I think I gave myself that advice!

In a few months I hope to be doing some sort of project work from home

Definately the bassinet/pram. She sleeps in it during the day and hangs out in it on outings. It has a sheepskin run and is very comfy!

Jess

Banana-Peel2

Morts - I live south of the river...where do you live? I have my in-laws coming this Wednesday for a week so won't be able to meet with anyone...but any Perth girls interested in meeting for a walk sometime down the track?

Ana - I think I have one of those babies who wanted to stay in my womb too...she is so cranky! Expect to see a grimace/snarl rather than a smile from her around the 6 week mark!

Survey questions:

Nothing...didn't enjoy it at all.

Being able to eat what I like.

NOOOOOOOO WAY!!! DH having the snip!

Lost my pregnancy weight and a few kilos...would like to lose a few more though.

Can't be specific??? but mostly about bfing!!!

Don't plan on returning from mat leave at this stage...plan to be a SAHM...may do some contract work down the track when I get bored.

Baby swing was great for DD#1 but unfortunately "little miss cranky pants" DD#2 has not taken to it as yet!!! It gets them off for day sleeps and gives you two hands to get things done around the place.

4forme

mumof7- have a great time in Lakes Entrance. Weathers good at the moment. I live in Lakes and love it.

Jay-em-cee- Daisy was almost too big for her bassinette when she came home but we managed to scab 4 weeks out of hit. I have moved her cot into our room and she has slept in it no worries thus far, so hopefully you will have no probs either.

Daisy is killing my arm at the moment so i will answer the survey and be off again.

WHAT DO YOU MISS MOST ABOUT BEING PREG?

Every thing but morning sickness. I would especially love people actively caring about my welfare and the smiles from strangers.

WHAT DO I NOT MISS ABOUT BEING PREG.

Stares from inconsiderate people, or the comments from a couple of ladies at work regarding my size. come on daisy was well over 10lb i had every right.

DO I THINK I WILL HAVE ANY MORE

Probably not, as much as i would like to dh wouldnt so we have to compromise.

WEIGHTLOSS;

I put on over 20kgs and have 5 to go, mind you I've had that 5 kg to go since she was 2-3weeks old.

MOST USELESS ADVICE GIVEN;

None really being bubs no #3 but i do hate the way my mum goes on about things, like my diet not being good enough, yet I am breastfeeding my 3rd child, with great weight gain and she only fed one of us, or the comments like "oh you're demand feeding it should be 4 hourly only" again my third baby so mum leave me alone.

PLANS OF RETURNING TO WORK;

Not sure but somewhere between now if casually or the week before christmas part time of 20hours a week.

MOST USEFUL BABY ITEM;

All of them, whoever made the boob comment thats very spot on, but my baby bjorn carrier has been super for going into the shops which have stairs in my main street and to do the groceries as I don't want to put her in a trolley yet.

Okay have to go, I so want to beat up my other two kids, grrrr

and yippee for school and kinder going back next week

Morts!

Lisa - Your milk will be drying up because you're leaving it so long between feeds/expressing. The more often you feed or express, the more milk you will make. If you start feeding/expressing every 3-4 hours again you will start to make more milk. That's why my milk was drying up in the evenings - because Laura was sleeping through and not having a feed in the middle of the night, my body thought it didn't need milk at night so stopped making it in the evenings. I now get up and express at 1.30am even though Laura sleeps through just to keep my supply going.

Have PM'd you Belinda's mobile no.

Bananapeel - I'm in Seville Grove (near Armadale). A walk with the Perth girls sounds good.

Having a big belly and the excitement of knowing that there's ababy inside me.

Being uncomfortable and getting up a million times a night to wee.

Yes, one more definitely, maybe 2.

Yes, back to what I was before I was pregnant.

To start Laura on solids at 5 weeks of age (stupid MIL)

I won't be going back to work hopefully (but I do a bit from home).

Bouncer

HelsBells

Hello,

Firstly - thanks to those who have read my birth story and left responses. I know most of you had your babies over a month ago and are now caught up in managing that.

Banana-peel - I would love to meet up for a walk or something sometime soon. I saw the Ob on Fri re my stiches and she said no exercise for two more weeks - but after that I'd love to!!

CC - I'm loving reading about this as DH and I are trying to figure out what to do. Hamish goes down fine most of the time but has an unsettled period in the evening. The Health Nurse told us just to hold him then and as he'll then go and sleep up to five hours when we go to bed we're happy to do this at the moment.

Feeling the baby's movements was just magic and amazing

Hamish's feet under my ribs.

Yes, absolutely - not sure how many but at least one!!

I have - it turns out I'd put on mostly water - possibly because of my lymph odeama so I've actually lost 16 kilos and I only put on 12 during pregnancy. That's fine though and I can certainly afford to lose more!!

mmmmmm I'll get back to you on that one.

I've got one client coming for music therapy in three weeks time - just once a week for half an hour. Hopefully will have managed to express some milk by then and DH will come home early that day to look after Hamish.

Well Hamish is still so wee - he can't really tolerate baby gym or bouncer - he does love being in the sling though.

MegsyMoo

Lisa: Sorry to hear about your supply. Are you taking anything to help it to increase? I was taking Maxalon to help it alone, dont need to now. Best of luck sweet it must be emotional for you. *hugs*

Us: We went to Shepparton on the weekend for a wedding and we took Lachlan. Forst big trip and big outing for all of us. He was goo din the car and when we got to Shep i fed him just before leaving for the ceremony so he would be happy. he was great but as soon as everything went quiete for the brides entrance he screamed and would not stop, i had to leave the church. After that he was perfect. Slept the whole time at reception only waking once for a feed which i had an ebm bottle, he woke when the speeches started, then went straight back to sleep. We left at 11pm and went back to the hotel, fed him and he then slept again for 3 1/2 hours. gOOD BOY.

He is stiring......\

Back

Will be going to my first "Frist parents group" tommorrow, am looking forward to it. Hoping it is good, will see i guees.

Sorry for the lack of personels but skimmed through the post since the weekend. Thoughts are with everyone of course.

How are tyou going Jen?

Love

Megs

ChickenSalt

First things first -

The little miracle that's growing inside of me and all the wonder that goes with it.

Gestational Diabetes.

Yes, don't know how many though, probably 2 at max.

I assume so but I have no idea how much.

Hmmmm.... can't think of any. No one's really said anything to me this time 'round seeing as it's my 2nd. I've had a few people talk to me like I've go no idea how to look after a newborn but that's about it.

Don't know, went back just after DD#1 turned 1 so will probably look at doing the same this time 'round but will be starting from scratch as I resigned from my last job.

The rocking chair in Mia's room, it's much easier to sit in that and settle her in the middle of the night then stand up when I'm only half awake and swaying on my feet.

I won't do personals as I've missed too much and I really don't have the time atm - sorry. I am glad to read that everyone is doing really well and somewhat envious of you Melbournian (and Chantelle ;)) girls catching up tomorrow. Have fun! Looking forward to hearing how it all went.

P & T - Someone asked if I have a cocoon thingy for it. We were going to get one but decided against it when we were told that by the time it was cold enough up here for one (we live in the mountains) she would most likely have grown out of it. So, we have a sheepskin underneath her and then I either wrap her or just make sure she's rugged up. Ours is also charcoal/black (kind of wish I went for the black one now but oh well).

Mia & I - We went to my best friends wedding on Saturday. We left Jem with my cousin and she had a blast - made the day so much easier for us. Fortunately the bride and groom left the reception around 9.30pm which meant that we got to leave relatively early, still didn't get home until midnight. Mia was pretty good except when the air con in the church was blowing directly onto her. She even slept through the incredibly loud music at the reception for the most part. I was originally the Chief Bridesmaid but was asked by the bride around Christmas time to not be involved in the wedding party as it was a bit stressful (or something). During the speeches I received a special mention from Bec (the Bride) re: originally being in the bridal party. At the time of the speeches I was b/feeding Mia (we were right at the back of the room and everyone was facing the other direction), Bec asked me to stand up. Suffice to say that no one will forget that bit of the reception - I didn't stand up by the way, just announced to the whole room that I couldn't because I was b/feeding :o:blush::o.

Mia is having a very unsettled day today - fortunately DH is home sick so is helping out a bit.

She's just woken up again so I better go and feed her.

Take care