Sign in to follow this  
cesca

I attended a home birth last night!

cesca

My best friend (who has split up with her partner) wanted me to be her birth support partner at the birth of her 4th child, and of course I said YES! (I was also at her 2nd child's birth, but missed the other two unfortunately).

It all happened last night - my friend rang me at 6.30pm so I headed on over. Me and her mum set up and filled the birthing pool, then got the kids into bed, as my friend's labours usually take a long time.

Once my friend was in the pool, though, the contractions sped up - although she said the pool helped a lot with the pain (it was her first water birth).

I was being a Birth Support Person Extraordinaire :tongue: as I popped ice cubes into her mouth, mopped her forehead with cold cloths, and rubbed her back whenever a contraction hit.

Eventually the baby was about to come out so I nearly did my back in supporting my friend from behind (me leaning over the edge of the pool, trying not to fall in!) so she could be in a half crouching position.

The kids came out and the baby was born into the water, then the midwife popped her up onto my friend's tummy.

It was so cool! The whole atmosphere was totally calm (only candle light) and so quiet (my friend was in the "zone" so we just whispered). No-one freaked out (except my friend's 2 year old, who burst into tears when she wasn't allowed to have a bath too!) and the whole thing went smoothly.

I'd been a tad worried, as my friend hadn't had a single scan throughout her pregnancy (she'd said that she wasn't worried about anything), but my friend's instincts must have been okay, as she birthed a totally healthy 10lb baby girl without any problems. The baby was born at 10.45pm, about 4 hours after the contractions started getting "ouchy".

I've had two homebirths myself, but it's always different to be present at another person's birthing experience. B)

~kylie~

Wow! What an amazing experience that you were part of! Congratulations to your friend. :)

lady*of*thelake

What an awesome, inspirational story! Well done to you and your friend!