Sign in to follow this  
Bel

Feb 06 Parents # 10

livnik

Morning Ladies

My night was alot better han the previous one, I stayed up til midnight and tried him on some formula, as I was hoping that would help him sleep longer, well I got a lovely 3 hours straight, which was great. Then I got another 3 hours straight again when he woke at 6am, I think though my boobs were that full that he took a few sucks coughed and spluttered and fell back to sleep till 7.30am, just wish I had fell asleep too.

My mum is tking DD2 out for the morning so it will just be Liam and I ( dh asleep, on night shift) was thinking of doing some more announcement cards.

Still feel like crap, need to take some sudafed, Liam is sick too, he has a really snotty nose and cant stop sneazing, poor lamb.

The ECHN was here yesterday, and Liam has put on a whopping 500g in 1 week, he is now 5 kg, and you can really tell too, with his little chubby face.

Just wondering all those who had CS when did you start driving again or when WILL you start driving????

OKay will see how many personals I can do, mum is going soon and I need to take Liam off her hands.

Jen Yeah it really doesnt matter who you take thom to see, I would love to take Liam to my GP, but it is so hard to get in to see him that it is usually 8pm at night by the time I get in.

The chemist down the road from me has a great nurse, so I will probabley take him there.

Sounds like Thom had some great sleep.

Toppy I am dreading when my mum goes back to UK, I had DH off work for 2 weeks then mum is here for 6 weeks then I am on my own, I am dreading the mornings, getting up for school.

Kim Lovely pics, DH is having the big V. 3 kids is our limit, we have been referred and dh has an appointment tomorrow, and then we will have to see when he can have it.

Karen sounds like your coming down with something to. Hope you feel better soon

Kylie Sounds like your baby is an absulute delight,gotta love those placid babies.

Alli Hope your recovery speeds up a bit more for you, doesnt sound like you had a good time of it.

Lisa what a gorgeous little girl you have there, it sounds like things are going really well for you, I am glad that Flick settled into school for you. My DD did too, except she is a big grumpy bum when she gets home lol

Well mum is going out now so I better go.

Take care all

Danni_h

Me 2nd??? :)

Hello all you lovely ladies and bubbas!

Have just come into the Feb 06 Parents group...have been reading all the previous threads..phew! Won't do personals yet, will do them for this thread.

Me- Levi and i are going great. DH is back at work (and missing us both!) which is a bummer...it was lovely having him home for 3 weeks. He would get up and do the 1am feed, which meant i could sleep right through until his 5am feed. DH was on night shift last night, so was my first night doing all the feeds. Don't feel too bad considering.

Levi is settling really well...we have a feed during the day, then some face gazing and talking time, then i wrap him up and but him in the cot still awake. Sometimes he will grizzle for a while, but i let him go. If he gets really distressed, i try the dummy and it works. We're lucky he settles so easily. Having said that, he doesn't like having his sleep interrupted too much, so we limited going out. I don't see the point in waking him up just to go out (esp if it's not urgent) and so usually wait until DH is home and i go out then.

Hope you are all getting some sleep while you can...and it must be the weather for sore throats...had our ceiling fan going last night, and woke with a bit of a sore throat...starting to get cooler here, so will turn it off me thinks!

hugs to all!

Danni

MegsyMoo

Livinik: LOL at the cough splatter on the full boobie...that happened to me the other day, same thing wanted to see if the formula would settle him better (longer) and the boobs just WAM full as, so that when i put Lachlan to the boob he was like "hey there mummy thats just flowing toooo fast" heheh. I found the formula to have an effect on his poopies they make them thick and large amounts and he will only have a motion 2 days after that feed of formula, thus giving him tummy aches i think. Who knows. But i am persisiting with the breastfeeding now that i have had some education on attachment. Ask me anything on it I have spent three whole days at a babies unit on breastfeeding and settling techniques.

With the driving, i had a C-section too not my request but hey things happen, I think i will start at 4 and a half weeks. I feel ok now (almost three weeks) but will give it a bit more time. They say 6 weeks. I suggest you sit in the car and practice having to quickly slam on the breaks....does it hurt?? or is it ok. if Ok then i would drive. IMO

Dani: How are ya there??? Glad to hear that Levi is doing great, we will have to catch up some time soon. What child health centre are you going too again?? We are at Feltimber, seeing them today at 3 after a much needed hair cut, it's like a mop growing. Lachlan is getting better at settling, he has alot of unsettled periods, we thought he may have colic :o:o But the Parents and babies unit doesnt think so, he is just overtired alot.

Speaking of sleep times and wakes times, i just cant wrap my head around at how much babies are supposed to sleep. I just feel guilty leaving them there in their bed to put themselves to sleep when they are awake. I feel as though i should get him out and play with him. :unsure:

Last night was good, i slept for 5 hours straight. Fed Lachie when Commander and Chief started and put him to bed before it finished, was unsettled for a while though i feel asleep i think by 11 and DH said he was settled by then, woke at 4, or just after, for a feed then back to bed till 815. He is now sleeping like an angle after a bath.

BBL

Love

Megs

Kafkaesque

Hi everyone

I just don't manage to keep up with you all like I want to. Don't seem to have enough minutes to myself anymore.

Last night we had a shocker. Ella was really unsettled and crying from about 6.00 - 11.00. I think she suffers from a bit of silent reflux. Finally managed to feed her to sleep and kept her upright for a good half an hour or so and then she went into the bassinet and slept for a couple of hours. I have Ella in my room and DP is sleeping in the spare room as we are having sleep issues with DD#1 so he is dealing with her but I am finding that Ella is way to loud while sleeping for my to sleep so I think I am going to have to try her in her own room. The only problem is that it is down near the spare room so may wake DP and DD#1. Also I would have to have the monitor on to hear her for feeds and I will probably be able to hear the same noise through the monitor that are driving me mad now. Maybe I will just keep puting the bassinet in the hall way or the office for the next few weeks.

Well DD#1 has turned up and is kicking me off so better go. Will try with personals later.

JessieW

Danni_h

HI Megs- Great to hear you went over to the baby unit...they're SO helpful aren't they?! We spent a half day there the first week we were home, and found out that Levi was tired too, but we were taking it for still being hungry. Now we settle him down as soon as the tired signs start to appear. Works a treat. It's amazing how often they sleep isn't it...and funny how the grandparents want to wake them all the time! My mum rings and wants to know what time Levi is due to wake, then she comes around! lol

As for poo's on formula...babies on formula don't necessarily poo every day or at every change so don't be too surprised if there's no poo every day, as long as they're still having wet nappies.

We are at the Belgrade Health Clinic (east Wod)...very short walk from home (although it's in a way dodgy area!) and i have already seen the woman from there..she's really lovely, which is the only reason im continuing to go there! We are going to the Chemist (the one next to Medicare) tomorrow to have our first baby pics done...might see you there if you're taking Lachie!?

WIND- i know it has been mentioned, but i wanted to mention trying Brauer's Colic Relief. We tried it with Levi and it brings the wind up amazingly! It's all nautral and is available at the Chemist, and you can give it to bubs from birth, whereas some of the others i found you have to wait until they're 2 months old to use it...worth a try if you think bub has bad wind.

Anyhoo...nearly time for a feed! :)

Danni

~TCBF~

Jessie, I just happen to have Wills birth certificate in front of me and in the "Previous Children" section it says "James 1" and James is indeed one year old.

Im sorry that seeing Frances' certificate has made you feel sad.. I think you might be right though, the number 3 sounds like it is meant to indicate Montys age.

And I will just quickly add about baby poo... Formula fed babies are meant to poo daily I think and BF babies anywhere from all the time to once a fortnight. How often a baby poos doesnt indicate constipation.. It is the consistency of the poo that is the key factor here girls :)

Sorry there arent more personals, just wanted to quickly reply to Jess as I literally had Wills BC right in front of me.

Take care, back later xxx

Delbo

Jess - I just checked Charlotte's birth certificate as I haven't received Emma's yet. It has Jacob listed with 22 months next to it so yes the 3 would indicate Monty's age. Sorry if this upsets you. Understandably so. hugs lovey.

BBl as feeding and too hard to type.

Georgina

partyof4

Speaking of poos..Lillian just did one after a few days..luckily just as I was about to take her nappy off she gave it another good push and got it all out lol..I am suprised how runny hers is as i top up with formula. Do any of your bubs fart alot? Mines a fart factory..a bit embarrassing when u have company or are out in public as its loud enough to be heard but u wouldnt think it was coming out of a 4 kg bub.

Catherine- Thanks for the compliment on my DD's..I am totally in awe of how sweet they look as me and DH aint the prettiest things around. Lillian i think will have beautiful eyes with very long eye lashes and the perfect pout. Charlotte loves Lil but sometimes gets a bit jealous but no where near anything to be concerned about..she is a very content little girl.

Jessie- I was a bit suprised at all the questions they were asking on that birth certificate form..I guess i was more touchy about the employment questions..hope they dont include that in the BC..me and DH are kinda unemployed :blush:

Sorry have drawn a blank right now so will do topics.

Funny things Lil does at the boob- Is happily feeding comes off and does a big belch and then manages to latch back on herself.

gggrrr I really cant wait for my aunt and uncle to go! they were criticising the way I spoke last nite..being ultra conservative, to them I say "like" too much and pretty muc said i should have had my DD1's cough looked at and to get her on antibiotics...she does not cough with me..only cause they fuss over her when she fakes a cough with them..they dont even have their own kids..my uncle had a kid from a previous marriage and he wasnt part of their life <_< I am not putting any of my kids on antibiotics just becuase they have a cold or a cough. I am going to tell them I my family cant come oer to dinner tonight because i have to like "take us all to the doctor to get drugged up" and go out for dinner instead.

:rolleyes: my DH has another job interview tomorrow for helpdesk in castlecove..nice and close to us..he has applied for another one at acer also helpdesk so fingers crossed!

What I did yesterday is not working today..Lillian has been sleeping 1 hr and feeding or unsettled for 2. I have resorted to the offering a dummy which she doesnt always take but this time she has.

Take Care

Pickle81

Hey ladies.

Well got so used to Sienna only waking once through the night (2am) over the last 3 or 4 nights that when she woke at 12.30am, then at 5 am I was a zombie! She was also making lots of noise in her sleep which woke me up heaps as well. That's what I get for her going to sleep an hour earlier than usual I spose!

Jess, {{{hugs}}} sweetie.

Anyway, Sounds like Sienna just did an explosive poo BBL

Guest toppy

This thread moves sooo fast.

livnik glad you're getting some sleep. We tried formula with DS#1 and our ECHN said you can mix formula with expressed milk instead of water if you want your child to still recieve the benefits of breast milk (we ar a high allergy family). If you chose to do this I'd double check it's still ok as things change fast in the rule book for babies. It failed for us though as DS refused the bottle so we had to use a medicine dropper to feed him.

Danni Glad you're managing on your own. DH rang to check up on us this morning and I had to let the answering machine get it as I had all 3 crying at once - not good. Hope the sore throat vanishes and nothing comes of it.

Megs It's so tempting to play with them full time. We did with DS and it took ages for him to get a sleep routine so we learnt to resist with DD. They just look so huggable to when they're asleep.

Kristy ann We had DS and DD in our room and I've kicked Caleb out (he's across the hall) I just find their noises too loud for me to get to sleep and then I disturb them. We do bring Caleb in with us during the night though. Everyone is different in what suits them and I hope you work it out soon. The ECHN suggested using a partition in our room but we didn't have enough room to try.

Jessie W. Sorry I'm not sure how it work witht he birth certificate. I'm sorry it makes you feel sad to see Monty on there.

Danni H Also love the brauer colic and their cold one and their teething one. The calm didn't do much for us though.

Delbo We all need voice activated keyboards so we can feed and type.

Party of 4 DS is windy at both ends. He gets really upset just before, it must hurt their tummy.

Surviving 1st day home with the three. Managed to get them all fed, dressed, beds made and a load of washing done by 9.30 so very happy.

Caleb had a bad night last night, sleeping from 10 - 1 and then waking every hour. As our routine gets more consistent hopefully he will too.

I'm trying power naps (just read new parenting magazine) today so I'm off for a 30 minute nap while DD and DS#2 are asleep still.

Delbo

Ahhh can't hack the pace of the thread!!! lol.

Emma slept for 5 hours last night from 11pm to 4am, which is the longest she has slept. Yay!!

Anyway will be back later. Have to tidy up the bomb site to get ready for Jacob's party on the weekend.

Love to all,

Georgina

Pickle81

Toppy, I had retained products after I had Stef. I think it was about 10 days after he was born that I passed 3 tennis ball sized clots (I thought I was dying!), and also my bleeding was REALLY heavy. I ended up getting a D & C done, after being checked out at the hospital (Vic reakons the amount of blood was unbelievable through the check up).

I was told that since it had happened once, there is a very high chance of it happening again, but all they did was when I went into labour, put a canula in ready if the same thing happened again, but everything was fine.

Also, the MW showed me how to check my tummy. When they check your uterus is contracting, and the height of it etc, it should feel hard like a tennis ball, if it starts to feel 'boggy' (MW couldn't think of a better word!!) go and get it checked by the dr. HIH.

Cheers

MegsyMoo

Kirsty: Have you tried Ear plugs? They wont cut out the crying for a feed but may cut out the sleeping noise she makes. Good luck.

Dani: Oh is tommorrow the day they do pics???? Will have to venture down, what time of the day do they do them?? Think i might try that Brauers colic releif too, sounds interesting...thanks.

Poos: LOL Lachie just did one almighty BIIIGG full nappy poo, the thing that also makes me think he has a bit of colic is that he has had poos that contain lots of little bubbles, like this one did. We had to bath him it was that messy. eekkk poor fella.

Partyof4: Oh yeah Lachlan farts ALL the time, does his dad proud, and yes they are so loud people would think it was you who did it and just blame it on the baby. LOL

Settling: We have been told that babies have one unsettled period per day and one unsettled DAY per week. Come to think of it it could be true.

Mums here gotta go

Love Megs

Guest toppy

Megs If your baby is doing one huge poo every few days see if ti makes a difference if you feed for longer on one breast before swapping. DS was a poo every few days that would result in a change of clothes and a lot of wipes when out. I read that if they have infrequent poos they may be getting more of the fore milk (drink) and less of the hind milk (food) resulting in less frequent poos. I changed my feeding style between DS and DD and both DD and DS#2 have frequent poos with no blow outs. I don't know if it's coincidence or not. They are also meant to sleep better with the hind milk and DD definately did.

Nessandstef Thanks for advice. The bleeding has stopped again so I will feel my uterus later. The GP's have been surprised how well it 'shrunk' back down. They have warned me though that it will probably drop down then get rid of another clot and the bleeding will start agaiun until all clots are gone. I've had medical advice through a couple of DR's, MW's and ECHN and they all say it's fine to wait it out. We're remote so I preferred not to have a D&C done locally so glad I can wait it out. Just want to know when it's over so I can jump back in the pool. I'm still getting cramping when feeding.

Sounds like DD is awake so I guess duty calls.

mellyelliechloandzac

howdy all.

got my little Ellah weighed yesterday at the child health nurse and she has not put on much weight again..

she put on in 5 days 115grms. the CHN said it should be more then that. i was worrying then my milk is not good enough. she said i am doing fine with the feeding aspect by the sounds of it. she said Ellah sounds as if she wees and poos lots and is settling enough and as long as i demand feed her which i am then see how it goes. she said it takes(so suzy u r right!!! :) )about a good 6 wks to establish it properly so u both are doing it right etc.

she suggested i see the lactation consultant there on thursday to ease my mind im doing the right thing and so she can see ellah feed so she can an idea on how she feeds, how she gets on and how she sucks to how hard she may be having to work for her milk..

so i sat beside her bassinette and had a cry last nite at the thought that my milk is not good enough and i am depriving her and i was ever so worried at the thought that if something was not right i would have to give her formula and i have worked so hard and got past the sore nipples and can finally feed. :(

but i am trying to think positive. she went 5hrs and then 4 hrs last nite if she was hungry or not getting enough surely she would not sleep like that she would be wanting it earlier wouldnt she??

jess just wanted to give u some hugs for feeling sad..

jen that pic is soooo cute.. one handsome boy u have hon!!

lisaglad to see u here!!! checked out your pics.. as u already know- your girls are adorable.. do u try to stay outta pics?? never too many of u in there.. haha or r u like me- always the one taking the pic?? catch up soon hopefully..

mumof7 as i have said up above with ellahs weight.. she has trouble too. hope destinee puts on soon... sounds we are both worrying the same..

clots wow they sound scarey.. i passed one the size of a tennis ball when i was at hospital. it was gross. none since but still worry.

bleeding still have some going on is that normal. it is dark red browny and like a stringy kinda discharge look. is that normal???

maternity payment have not receieved a letter yet from them to say it has gone in but have not checked the account yet to see if it has gone in the last day or 2... hope soon.. although gonna keep most in the home loan anyhow..

uuuummmm what else..

baby poo ellahs has been a bit runny and she is a little red round her little bottom hole like its burning her..

i had soft drink at a BBQ on the weekend and yesterday had some when i had my cousin over. wondering if it does that to her. i looovvee my coke and i am trying to steer clear. drinking lotsa water but its hard to stay away from coke and choccie. i used to live on the stuff.. :blush:

anyhow better choof. gonna change my little one and get ready to get Dan from work then go to his mums for tea. thanks goodness a night off from cooking!!! gotta love them notes..

bye for now. sorry to anyone i missed..... hugs to everyone that wants or needs them.. and hope we all have a good nite.. fingers crossed hey..

bbyyeee

MegsyMoo

Toppy: Yeah i was just reading that somewhere before. Have started to feed him longer on one boob then offer the other. Love the term blowouts it so fits the circumstances doesnt it!!!

Mel: I went through the same thoughts, that i was not feeding Lachlan well enough. But i am and i have had HEAPS of trouble with the breastfeeding. I was telling someone earlier that i have spent three whole days at the Parnets and Babies unit for breastfeeding and settling issues, ask me anything, if i cant answer i will refrence back to the HEAPS of handouts i have. Good luck and dont put yourself down, if i can do it you can...*smile and hugs* to you.

JessieW

Thanks for the reponses girls about the birth certificate. It does seem that '3' indicates age. I'm not sad at all that his name is on there - I'm quite chuffed actually. But I don't understand why they put an age when clearly he's no longer on this planet. I'd be interested to find out if this was a glitch or if it's standard policy.

kisses to all the babes

Mel - I didn't get a letter re: maternity payment, the $ just showed up in my account a week later

Love Jess

Danni_h

Hey Megs- Just sent you a PM...hope you got it!

3cheekykids

Hello everyone. I haven't been online much the last couple of days as Braden had a few restless nights and days. He seems to be extra windy (from both ends) during the nights and has started chucking up as well. I am presuming that this is a stage he is going through as I remember vaguely my two others going through the same stage. The good thing about having kids before is that you know that this stage (unsettledness) would soon pass but at the same time, know that the same can be said about them growing up. Every time I hold him, I keep reminding myself to cherish the moment as I will never get to do this again with my own baby.

I will not attempt any personals tonight as I am rather sleep deprived and will probably not make any sense. hugs to those that need it and sleeping dust to all our babies. Catch up with you all again soon.

cheers,

joan

ChickenSalt

Hello Bella Mummies

I have been catching up all day and have only now just reached this thread. But now I am tired and I still have a kitchen to clean and laundry to fold so I'll read this thread sometime in the not to distant future.

I just wanted to say that each of you is the only expert on your baby. Regardless of what any book says that author does not live with you or deal with your baby! Each of you needs to do what feels right and works for you. I started DD#1 on the Pick Up/ Put Down method at about 6 weeks because she wouldn't go to sleep unless DH rocked her and I wasn't going to have a bar of that once he went back to work. ATM I settle Mia usually in the rocking chair, or by putting her over my shoulder and patting her on the back but I try and put her down awake-ish so she doesn't get used to going to sleep that way. Resettling as I need to. So far so good, still getting the hang of it though.

I also wanted to say that despite the sleep deprivation enjoy the cuddle and snuggle time. Believe it or not (especially you first time mummies) you'll miss it when it's gone and you have a child that runs away from you :p. Someone said a little while ago that if you're stressed then bubs will be stressed, I so totally agree with that. If you're having feeding issues, take a deep breath before or as bubs latches on and relax your shoulders. I did this when I had really cracked nipples and it helped. I also agree that letting bubs have a bit of grizzle isn't going to hurt them and it may save your sanity. As for strict routine, in my experience it's not possible with a newborn. I have a routine that I try to stick to (the feed, play, sleep - worked a treat with DD#1) but am flexible within that.

Anyway enough of my rambling. Just take each day as it comes and remember it's not forever. Unfortunately they don't stay so tiny and "new" either. Remember the first 6 weeks are the hardest, so they say anyway.

I had my first real unsettled period with Mia today - which was at the worst time! She just didn't want to go to sleep and it was time to get DD#1 ready for bed and of course I had to be here by myself. Got rather stressed out and ended up taking a bit of it out on DD#1 when she wouldn't co-operate with me. I feel awful about it and had a bit of a cry and gave her a big hug and told her I was sorry. Doesn't change what I did and said though. I always worry that the way I treat my kids (even the smallest incident) will impact them forever and they'll end up in therapy and think I'm an awful mum. Stupid I know (or maybe not).

Having one of those days when I wish with all of my heart that my DH could do everything that I do including b/feeding, simply so he'll know what I go through everyday. I don't think that men get it for the most part. He's off having fun and leaving me at home, despite the fact that I was in tears twice today when I spoke to him on the phone. He lets me make the decision as to whether he should be out or not and I don't think that's fair! He should just read my mood and decide himself. I guess then he can blame me that he missed out on whatever it was that he wanted to do. Makes me a bit cranky really. Well, I'm putting him on night duty tonight, I've had my fill for the day, I don't care how flipping tired he is. He certainly ain't as tired as I am.

Sorry that turned into a bit of a vent, wasn't meant to. I just don't have anyone else to whinge to atm.

Well, I'm off shopping tomorrow/ catching up with mum and dad. Should be interesting as it is my first day out by myself with the girls. I'll let you know how I go.

Won't attempt personals until I'm well and truly caught up.

Good luck and deep sleep vibes to all.

pas

:) hi everyone

Just a real quickie to say hi and let you know we're off to NZ tomorrow for SIL's wedding on Saturday. Back on 17th.

I feel behind as it is - will be hopelessly lost by then!

Anyway, hope all's well - haven't even had a chance to look at this thread so can't reply to anything. Suffice to say we had a great day yesterday and a crap one today! She's been awake (less 2 x 20min kips) since 4pm (now 11pm) and kicking and grizzling on and off the boob :(. Just about to try and feed her AGAIN in the hopes I'll get her down and we'll all get some sleep before an early start tomorrow. Otherwise has really been doing quite well and I'm feeling like I'm slowly getting the hang of the baby + school thing!

Anyway, love to all - hope everyone's OK - keep going! :) and I look forward to catching up after the 17th.

Guest toppy

MelindaDon't feel bad about the weight gain, it's not your fault. One of the Mum;s in our first mother's group had the same problem. She had to have her DS weighed weekly and stick to a strict feeding regime but now at 4 you could never tell which child was the slowest at gaining weight.

Maternity Payment It took nearly the 21 days before we recieved it and the letter arrived about a week later.

Joan Hope you can get some sleep.

Christy Have you tried a sling for the restless periods. I find if I put Caleb in his baby bjorn I can still manage to deal with the older 2. It's hard adjusting to a newborn with older chn though. I'm constantly trying to be more patient with the older ones.

Polly All the best with some sleep, hope you have a great time in NZ. We just had 2 2hour flights and DS travelled well.

Power naps Read today that power naps can help. The suggestion was to set your alarm for 30 minutes as any more makes you feel groggy. I tried it today and DD woke up after 15 minutes of sleep and Caleb woke at 20 minutes so I think I have to try to have my nap earlier.

Caleb had his first swim tonight and enjoyed it, he even managed to stay awake. His been pretty good all day but he's struggling now.

Better go and put the dummy back in and get some cakes made for DS's lunch tomorrow.

Pickle81

Melly'sbelly, {{hugs}} Sweetie! Just remember to do what is best for you and Ellah. I felt guilty when I had to stop b/f Stef, but when he became more settled, and putting on more weight, I could clearly see it was for the best.

One thing one of the MW's at the hospital told me was that if you have a happy mum, you have a happy baby. This was after they found Sienna in bed with me because she was really restless, and although it's a SIDS risks, the MW was great about it. Not like when I had Stef in hospital, where they let me have him in bed with me, but they made a big drama out of it!

ANyway, Stef just woke up!BBL