Sign in to follow this  
mothersmilk

Natural cockroach repellent

mothersmilk

Anyone know of a natural cockroach repellent I could use in the bedrooms?

Merry Dancer

I need to know too!!

Suzanne

Gemanddi

It's not exactly a repellent but I saw this guy on TV once talking about natural ways to keep insects out of the house and the method for cockroaches was:

take a plastic container (like the ones used for takeaways), smear the inside with butter and half fill with red wine. Apparently the cockroaches are attraced to the butter and because it's so slippery they fall in and drown in the red wine. (Not sure exactly why red wine either, maybe they're attracted to that too). Anyway I've never actually tried it myself but liked the idea of a natural cockroach "trap".

Merry Dancer

Okay, I have found a book in my bookcase which givgives lots of ideas! Here are a few:

- sprinkle sulphur near skirtings and corners.

- Place pieces of vanilla pod around affected areas

- mix 4 tablespoons borax with 2 tablespoons of plain flour or sugar and 1 tablespoon cocoa. Leave out in upturned lids where cockroaches skuttle around. Keep away from children and pets though because borax is poisonous.

- slice a cucumber and place on a newspaper beside a small pile of plaster of paris and a flat dish of water!

- The same as Germandii posted except you can also use beer or a slice of banana.

Cucumber peelings into cupboards and around where roaches are found. Renew as peelings dry out.

Sprinkle epsom salts in cupboards and around benches and sinks, in wardrobes etc. Replenish every few weeks.

1 Tablespoon epsom salts, borax and icing sugar. Place in back of cupboards and drawers!

Hopefully one of these works!

Suzanne

Lisim

Aniseed oil - if you can stand the smell. Lucky I love licorice. :tongue:

mothersmilk

Will definitely give these a go - I'll let you know! THANKS

Rocket

Not so much a repellant but a friend of mine regularly pours tea tree oil all over where they live inher kitchen and it flushes them out in their droves, killing them in the process she explained to me that it really needs to be a daily thing.

Guest funkychick

Thanks ladies for this thread...was about to post one as we seem to have alot atm.....not sure why but will give it a go

and thanks for the link to aca :D

JenJen

Lemon scented eucalyptus (eucalyptus citriodora) . :D It works fantastically, but you must do every few days for a few weeks. I put a few drops on cotton balls and scatter them around the edges of the bathroom and I don't see any for a few days. :smile:

HTH

Rachelgc

Cockroaches are attracted to citrus soooooo we avoid citrus cleaners and stick to eucalyptus or lavender or the like, avoid citrus sprays in toilets etc, and dont leave citrus fruit out of the fridge :o) Unless you are trying to attract them first to kill them! that is what we found with most the traps or things that say they get rid of roaches, they first ATTRACT them THEN kill them, Id much rather not attract them at all! even though citrus cleaners are SOOOOo good, to me its not worth having the roaches !

Hope it helps tis more prevention for the future !

KristyMum-

A friend would soak a rag in Peppermint oil and stuff that in the cracks where they were coming through... she said it worked.

7Heaven

Ugh roaches are my worst thing ever!!

I recently spoke to a professional pest removalist and he said cockroaches live in gardens (not under the floorboards-phew!) and always get into our homes by climbing along the outside of pipes and up into the house through the holes cut into the roof/walls theough which the pipes go.

Basically that means you don't need to ever spray inside, only outdoors ever few weeks along the pipes and especially at the point where the pipes enter the house. The principle is to repel them before they ever get inside.

Since spraying outside a month ago I haven't had a cockrach inside.

He said baygone is the longest lasting so that means less frequent spraying. I know it's not environmentally friendly, but at least it's not too often and at least it's never inside the home so no human exposure. Maybe we could try doing what he says but with spraying one of the natural repelling oils instead?